What's new

Anyone turn their trees?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tying plants "back" while still allowing stretch toward the bare bulbs to create as perfect a sideways canopy as possible in a SCROG type grow....

....Proper pruning , trimming , and shaping during veg up into beginning of stretch to create proper plant footprint and get rid of unnecessary foliage and limbs

I've been shaping these plants for this next run very carefully. I'm trying to get this perfect sideways canopy you speak of. I've been pruning large fan leaves IN VEG once the branch above it is a decent size. This is keeping my GG4's lanky and lots of room to breath. All the branches are big and thick, no sucker branches at all.

Also, on each of these large branches, I am removing the 1st growth tip near the base of the branch. Sometimes the 1st 2 or more. This is where the lil sucker branches will come from when stretch starts. We don't want them in the 1st place... and for me its alot easier to snip em off now when the plants are in veg, rather than looking for them inside a big thick canopy at day 30.

But like you said Fred, this came from experience, i learned this the hard way. Using oz after oz of larf to make butter. Now the amount of larf is far less. I'm going for 1% larf this time. We'll see.

:tiphat:

DabOnDabs

Veteran
History is doomed to repeat itself cuz this subject has been discussed over and over and over again as well as side by sided on numerous occasions at the dead and gone sites from days gone by....ok now.....

Anyone here know anything about phototropism ?......Where the response to stimuli is so strong that the plants point themselves DIRECTLY toward the light source regardless of where the light source OR the plants are located in said grow area?....and....

THAT`S where vital plant energy is wasted as plants get spun and turned away from AND toward the light source trying to save the backsides of the plants either to increase yields supposedly and not end up with as much flarf and popcorn where lumen penetration NEVER gets back to , OR to keep the plant growing more evenly and keep as many budsites on the plant as possible , again to hopefully increase bottom line yields....but...

Spinning plants constantly RE-orient themselves and bend back accordingly as far as they can BACK toward the light source , and that`s where time is lost in plant growth and swellage.....

What happens is you end up with MORE buds but SMALLER buds AND flarfy popcorn that not only DECREASES yield , but won`t allow the front sides of the plants to swell accordingly that actually DO get proper lumen penetration if left alone....

I understand Mr D`s thoughts on bigger plants and what he`s witnessed with his own side by sides over the yrs , but I assure everyone here his watts per sq ft are as such to where the BACK sides of his bigger plants STILL get lumen penetration , plus his orca film on the walls GUARANTEES reflection back towards the plants once light gets past said plants....now...

There`s a guy in the outdoor forum in the PNW that built REAL spinners in the gound for his BIG outdoor plants due to the way the sun tracks on his property , and has personally experienced a good amount of yield increase over the yrs by turning his plants IIRC 1/4 turn on a regular basis , BUT....

That`s OUTSIDE with the big metal halide in the sky that`s always above the plants regardless of it`s east to west orientation , not to mention the difference in lumens a plant gets outdoors compared to indoors , and bottom line the UV exposure that indoor plants NEVER get , so....trust me guys.....

There`s a reason why flat growers lollipop down underneath where minimum light can get to , just like the method to all my vert scrog boys`s hackin the backsides and splayin limbs back to the wall to spread out and develop that sideways canopy....and it`s purely...

To allow EVERYTHING in front as well as above in flat grows to swell accordingly and let each plant be all they can be swellage wise....and Dabs....

Even though you`ve noticed no difference in topped and un-topped , hacked out backs or not hacked out , try it for Uncle Fred on just SOME of your other plants and see for yourself then come back and report your findings , so...

Twist...the original question for you as well as Dabs with a 4 plant 5 light setup with all plants getting blasted by 3 lights at all times in NO way need to touch your plants cuz the side lighting more than makes up for no light in the backs..in a 10x10 area that is...anyways...

Looks like more side by sides are needed for proof positive , so ya`ll handle it and report back....

Peace...DHF...:ying:....

I thought i had posted also. Wasnt me, old man ;)

DabOnDabs

Veteran
To me its seems like most of you guys are talking about vert setups which pretty much speaks for itself about turning the plants so you guys 2 cents are 0 worth ihmo.
Me and people i know have done this for years, we have of course done side by side where we had plants we didnt turn, all in all, it increases the yield and doesnt hurt the plants/potency. I may have misunderstood some of you guys.
I hope this doesnt turn into an argument but rather us sharing information.

You should change your avatar, before people get confused, thinkin dabs is on CRACK COCAINE. I disagree with just about everything youre saying.

DunHav`nFun

Well I`ll be damn....that wasn`t you.....lol....and yeah....WHO the fuck picks an avi like that but Dabs...:moon:...

Anywho , back to our regularly scheduled program....spinning plants no bueno....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....