What's new

anyone topdress organic dry nutes indoors and nothing else?

C

CascadeFarmer

I don't wish to be insulting but putting any plant in coco 'rinsed of all salts' to catch whatever nutrients fall from the sky does not remotely resemble natural/organic growing in any way and this statement illustrates your lack of comprehension of how plants grow naturally.
That's pretty ridiculous and shows your inability in this thread to follow the tangent discussion/comment I made about 'Nutes don't fall from the sky'. I tried to follow along with Mad Libbretist's mental miasma and done with that.

what about the subject of this thread?
Yeah that was top dressings. Pouring nutes on has nothing to do with that. You'll never know until you do it...top dressings that is. My pics are gone. As for the 'organic church' thing...just what I found works best, at least for me, and no pic will convince.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
It is hard to tell in this pic, but what I did this year is a multi step process. I started off with a super soil mix, google subcool. This means the bottom 50% of my soil is loaded with nutes. Then the top 40% is just Roots Organic soil. Then the top 10% i put pure chicken poop, and a little EWC. So far they seem super happy. I figure the top 10% of compost will really feed the micro beasties. Plus I add ACT to help populate my soil, so they can eat up all that compost. Good luck to ya.
BTW-This is outdoor, I know you are talking about indoor. My 2cents.
picture.php

mad librettist

Veteran
That's pretty ridiculous and shows your inability in this thread to follow the tangent discussion/comment I made about 'Nutes don't fall from the sky'. I tried to follow along with Mad Libbretist's mental miasma and done with that.

i think you're still in the same fog, and still unclear about its provenance.

Microbeman just gave you a real life example of nutes falling from the sky, literally. You ignored it.

It's both correct and incorrect to say top dressing is fast or slow. If you mulch properly, top dressing even whole foods will result in quick action. If you have dead, dry, UV-bombarded topsoil from bad soil management, your top dressings will be work more slowly. If you have a good mulch, you eventually have material at all stages of decomposition, and fast vs. slow is not an issue. And you feed the soil because it eats, and you let the plants do the rest.

I find the best top dressing is poo from worms living in the container or in the cannabis planting area, deposited directly by the worms and undisturbed. in my #15 smarts, I am going to have to dress with something around the edges, because I pile materials near the base of the stem. By the end of close to 5 months of this, there is a visible mound in the center. The soil that makes up the mound is very springy and light.

Dudesome

Veteran
lack of comprehension, inability.... shiiit every thread the same haha:) chill guys, aint nobody is winning anything out of this.

seriously though I am myself very interested in topdressing indoor as a prime nutrition. and especially topdressing vs preamending soil is another topic of interest!
I am actually even going to do a little side by side sometime anytime soon if I get a chance.

Scrappy4

Veteran
lack of comprehension, inability.... shiiit every thread the same haha:) chill guys, aint nobody is winning anything out of this.

seriously though I am myself very interested in topdressing indoor as a prime nutrition. and especially topdressing vs preamending soil is another topic of interest!
I am actually even going to do a little side by side sometime anytime soon if I get a chance.

Why does it have to be one way or another? Nuttin wrong with using both amendments and top dressing, especially top dressing things that might burn tender roots, Or to fix something going south, and then there is the general ease of amending. They both have a place in my garden.....scrappy

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
my last grow was my first go-around and i started hitting the deficiency wall a few weeks into flower. i top dressed with gardener and bloom tomato fertilizer (kelp, fish, bone, feather, mycos, etc) and the slurry at the bottom of my ACT brews.

got me through to harvest.

mad librettist

Veteran
I look thru all the organic threads and see very little amazing pics to go with the stuff people talk about. not doubting anyone just wanna see these amazing plants.

just because you won't get to see them does not mean they don't exist.

pics prove nothing. pics resolve nothing. pics say nothing.

mad librettist

Veteran
anyone topdress organic dry nutes indoors and nothing else?

I look thru all the organic threads and see very little amazing pics to go with the stuff people talk about. not doubting anyone just wanna see these amazing plants.
I agree about genetics being the biggest factor, but ive grown the same cut many ways and it does make a huge difference what and how u feed it. light is not the issue w/ me.

yield taste the whole package is important to me and trying to always improve and keep an open mind

FYI, in my experience, the nicer the pics the bigger the blowhard. if you use pics of cannabis to support theories of soil biology or function, you are making a non sequitur.

growing nice plants does not mean you understand soil.

Dudesome

Veteran
FYI, in my experience, the nicer the pics the bigger the blowhard. if you use pics of cannabis to support theories of soil biology or function, you are making a non sequitur.

growing nice plants does not mean you understand soil.

have to agree with you at this point, mate :)
yet pics do make something happen - they motivate.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The point being that when plants grow naturally, with nutrients 'falling from the sky' they are in old soil with established heirarchical microbial layers/structures and nutrients used could be more than a year on/in the ground.

Someone has mentioned a higher microbial population at the surface. Not necessarily; just a different population suited to a different job; degradation of OM.

Certainly you can grow with only topdressing but if you are attempting to grow naturally, there are few prepared fertilizers that will out perform (vermi)compost. A lot depends on your moisture levels and porosity of your soil.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Cyat, here is my current grow at 5 weeks in flower. I'm sure the yields will be there, but like mad said it does not prove much.

Attachments

• 37 days in f.jpg
    37 days in f.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 6

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
here's a happy plant thriving in living soil.

lots of recycled soil. top dressed with EWC and a nice diverse layer of mulch. fed only water and gets a lavender FPE foliar a couple times a week.

this 45gal container will be no till from now on. that means i'll be top dressing OM and amendments for replenishment.

picture.php

RipVanWeed

Hey Cyat,

Just a Noob, but here's my 2c's.

When I use full strength organic mixes of soil they tend to be too hot, even after incubating, for some of my plants. The most recent soil batch has about 1/2 of the recommended ferts. I'm planning on top dressing the rest of the ferts in.

I usually veg my plants till they attain the size I desire, so sometimes that's awhile. The trick is recognizing deficincies before they are serious and learning when to topdress, and with how much of what.

Soon I plan on settling in to a feeding schedule.

Building a good soil is primary and I think topdressing and mulching are part of the process.

Respect,

Cannabologist

Veteran
- Funny this post comes up.. I have been investigating this very thing, finding a top dressing only regimen, that will cut out all need for liquid nutrient fertilizers, foliar sprays and ACT teas, and only need plain water while still providing a steady stream of nutrients to the plant. I am making a post about it in the nutrients and fertiizer forum, for some ideas and thoughts other people may have, as that forum more follows the specific topic more closely..

Scrappy4

Veteran
Rip..... if your mix is too hot, just give it more rest or cook time. A hot mix now would be great in a month or two.

Cannabologist..... If you leave out teas be extra sure you have a high quality ewc and or compost for your soil's biology. I've found store bought quality of each lacking. Hopefully you have better sources.....scrappy

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been investigating this very thing, finding a top dressing only regimen, that will cut out all need for liquid nutrient fertilizers, foliar sprays and ACT teas, and only need plain water while still providing a steady stream of nutrients to the plant

its called a diverse mulch. along with a proper built SOIL not soilless medium. its all your plants will ever need to produce high quality cannabis.

Lain

Hey Jaykush,

I've been collecting a variety of forest leaf mulch, forest floor fungi (long strands of networks on the forest floor and underneath the root zone), and various peoples compost and plan on combining everything to make a diverse AACT.

Would the amount of each ingredient I put into the brew affect which microbials dominate the AACT, say if I wanted a bacterial (cow compost dominant) tea; use a ~65/35 bact/fungal ratio?

What would be the best ratios to use with ingredients I listed, plus cow/mush compost for a 5 gallon brew that could be diluted around 5x for guerilla use? I also have floralicious+, molasses, and rare earth DE.

The tea will be applied to 10 gallon Smart Pots filled with 50% Promix Moisture Control, 25% rich native soil, 20% mixed compost, and the top 1.5 inches Mulch. All other amendments added in during the mix on site.

Plants are going out in a few days (big mommas, 7 weeks veg) and I got myself 2 4-outlet air pumps and a 5 gallon water container to work with, and about 6 full garbage bags worth of compost/leaf mulch/forest fungi/native soil.

Cannabologist

Veteran
Cannabologist..... If you leave out teas be extra sure you have a high quality ewc and or compost for your soil's biology. I've found store bought quality of each lacking. Hopefully you have better sources.....scrappy
its called a diverse mulch. along with a proper built SOIL not soilless medium. its all your plants will ever need to produce high quality cannabis.
That is exactly what I figure. A top dressing of quality EWC/compost will provide additional needed OM, humus, etc., as well as some additional kelp meal (without the need for teas). Other fertilizers will be added and tested, like chicken manure. I have been contemplating the best Ca, Mg, and Si source, and additional micros, Azomite, powdered crushed granite seem to be decent options, but they are difficult to find (and top dressed or tilled powdered lime I don't feel will be much, if any, effective, though depending on the source, I have read you can till lime, on other sites, but people here say you can't till lime into the top of soil for Ca/mg..). Yes, this is what I am working on, building a mulch that will be effective for growing, and will also provide all the additives needed for indefinitely vegetating moms.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
I've been collecting a variety of forest leaf mulch, forest floor fungi (long strands of networks on the forest floor and underneath the root zone), and various peoples compost and plan on combining everything to make a diverse AACT.

please forage/harvest/collect responsibly!