What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Notice That Fruit and Vegetables Have almost No Flavor Anymore?

idiit

Veteran
You can thank Monsanto/GMO for lack of flavour in your food.

^ yes. plus the unsustainable agriculture practiced world wide for decades has failed to replenish the soil with chelated organic supplements.

supermanlives

Veteran
we know why tomatoes suck in stores.. first shitty genetics designed for long lasting. second picked real early and ripened with ethelyne gas... wonder if they are doing similar with other stuff. luckillly I have access to small farms and organic non gmo stuff so I don't have them problems.... when they bred tomatoes for shelf life and being tough among other things they lost the flavors... heirlooms rule , look to the amish for good seeds

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
modern agriculture suffers from knee jerk reactions to causation perpetuated but short sighted industrial agricultural practices many of which are controlled by big money

the one cultivar to rule them all mantra from sauron (which implies homogenization of the target environment) is defective and being replaced with participatory breeding programs that allow cultivators to choose cultivars that work with their existing natural resources

imbalance an environment and then engineering a plant to work in an imbalanced environment is a very bad idea unless it is closed and artificial

pinkus

Veteran
It's not just GMOs. Hydro, chem ferts, picking green.

Someone griped about peaches going bad... they do that no matter what... can't blame that one on anyone.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Get a refractometer and check your brix levels on the fruit you buy. I am willing to bet the brix levels are around 4-8 and my homegrown, GMO free, organic tomatoes came in at 16 brix. Makes a huge difference.

Calimed

Veteran
Try signing up for a CSA... Fresh box of veggies delivered to your door or a nearby central location each week. Some of the best produce I've had in years has come from one of these. The only thing is that you can't specifically pick what you get each week.

D

Duk~O~Deth

I spent time on a farm as a kid and I felt the same way about eggs. Then said fuck it, if I can grow plants inside chickens will be easy.I went out and made my own coop and got some chicks. Figured out the best way to do it to prevent disease and it's been easy.
I feed them raw milk and kelp every once in awhile and the eggs are amazing. I have so many I do have to give them away and people love them. Then I started growing tomatoes using the compost from the composted chick manure.

Best tomatoes ever and took no space. Do it you won't go back to the store.

It's like anything if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I like hiding all the soil I use indoors and compost. I use in may veggie garden in a couple of years. Good way to hide your growing indoors.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thanks Krunch for bringing this up...

I think the crap at Safeway is the worst... tasteless, overpriced, limited selection, and nothing local... In California that is almost criminal - not having local produce.

So I joined the local co-op. First order was interesting. Took a while to figure out what to do with turnips. And the potatoes this week are black!

But taste is there and the flavors are intense.... perhaps because it's been so long since I lived in Europe where we got fresh organic produce every day from the shops in the neighborhood.

The food in the US is mostly crap and people sure look like they eat a lot of it... toooo much of it!

milkyjoe

Veteran
You know how we have declared a war on insects and fungus...stuff like that. We bring in weapons like, oh I don't know...say Eagle 20. Turns out those pests and diseases serve a purpose...to take out sick plants. Without the poisons we would have to learn to grow better plants...more minerally dense plants. And guess what...turns out minerally dense plants taste better.

The enemy is us. What is that old saying...be the change you want to see.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Funny...

The blackberries and strawberries in my fridge ARE certified organic....

ZERO FLAVOR....

So what does that say about your guys' organic theory?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
It's all about high brix, and to achieve that organics is the way to go. That doesn't mean that all organics have a high brix reading.

Edit: also genetics has a lot to do with it as well. Heirloom varieties taste way better, but commercial growers don't grow heirlooms.

N

NorCalDreaming

Funny...

The blackberries and strawberries in my fridge ARE certified organic....

ZERO FLAVOR....

So what does that say about your guys' organic theory?
Organic doesn't mean better. It all depends on your inputs. Organic seems more about, to some, what you're not putting on. I've talked to some organic farmers about their nute programs and pretty weak. They're just not getting out of the crops what they could be getting.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
^ See that's a good one!

Grown Organically in Mexico, picked green and shipped to us...

Paying premium prices, but still getting inferior produce...

Fuck...

Latest posts

Latest posts