What's new

Anyone know which HPS bulb is best?

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
I have always had excellent results using the horti 1K S-HPS for flowering, but then i added an EYE Blue bulb and i got a very noticeable increase in smell complexity and intensity in some cultivars. From the studies i've read it seems that from 10%-50% blue light is the range to experiment with. I'm looking to have between 15-30% of the light be in the blue end of the spectrum. For sure some plants do have light spectrum preferences, but with this range i hope to keep it in a rang satisfying to most.

I mentioned this in another thread, but no one is commenting on it. What about disposal? I haven't really heard any discussion of bulb disposal.

since we are growing medicine it makes sense to me to also look at the downstream costs of using lights. For quality of light and low metal content that is why i buy the hortilux bulbs. No need to compromise. Even though output might be somewhat diminished i'd rather run them a cycle longer or so and bring the bulb closer, than keep throwing so many bulbs away.

What's the consensus on bulb disposal?

i've heard some good stuff about running the 1K horti's in PL reflectors, but i need to find a PL distributor.
great discussion

A

acridlab

I've used most, and I can say best lumen/Par will come from your hortis.., BUT, for me they are not reliable.even the newer eballast compatible ones give me problems in digital ballast..the eye blue won't even fire on my solis teks. But they are the best if your rocking magnetic. I will only use ushio now. They are a very close second to hortis, so close, u prolly wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference.. and they are built well.. never had a issue with them.. for me, the best combo is 1000 watt ushios in blockbuster hoods, with 400 watt phillips cmh dropped in vertically for the supplemental uvb action.. killing it with this