What's new

Anyone know which HPS bulb is best?

zamzia

Veteran
As per the title. I need to replace my Slyvania Growlux 600W HPS bulbs and wondered if any of the competition was worth a try e.g. Solarburst; Sunmaster; Superplant ....

Otherwise I will stick to what I know :)

Thanks

ydijadoit

I am running some Gavita 600's (Normal HPS bulb) now, but have had good luck with Agrosun Red. Only two I can vouch for. Look for sales, I wouldn't pay more than $70 per bulb. For 99% of us, it just doesn't matter, in the big scheme of things.
Regards

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
I just buy UltraSun lamps... 1k's are 36.95 at my local shop, and I just replace them every couple flower cycles. I'm sure 600's would be fairly priced. But, I do keep hearing about Ushio bulbs being quality, and have been curious to fill my flower room with them and compare...

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Horti's and Ushio if you don't mind spending the $.

Now a days it seems the best are bulbs and ballasts tuned to one another, in the digi ballast world, anyway.

Heck, now we have double ended style bulbs and set ups, claiming they are better than the rest.

I still run mag ballasts, and sylvania bulbs.

I replace my bulbs every 2-3 flower cycles, and wouldn't want to pay the extra for Horti's and the like.

I'd rather run cheaper bulbs and replace them more often, (a new cheaper bulb is brighter than an old expensive one).

Also, IMO, Sylvania is still a quality company. They aren't a horticulture based company, which lends itself to lower prices.

IMO, a horticultural based business, who targets marijuana growers, charges more money.

I know this from experience.

However..... if someone offered to pay for my bulbs, I'd get Ushio.

O

otis33

I got a deal on some eye hortilux bulbs and ran one next to a brand new plant max bulb and the eye hortilux plants had much bigger buds.... same strain, nutes, etc..

symbiote420

Veteran
I got a deal on some eye hortilux bulbs and ran one next to a brand new plant max bulb and the eye hortilux plants had much bigger buds.... same strain, nutes, etc..

Interesting, I've heard RespectGreen say the same thing ....haven't ran Horti's in years, the Plant Max and Ultra Sun's of the world have been doing pretty good in my room! I could grab a Horti or Ushio this next run and try to see if I notice any difference in yields.

zamzia

Veteran
Ok, I've plumped for more of the same i.e. Sylvania Growlux 600W. For the simple reason someone had them on ebay bulk buy cheap. If I should be replacing them frequently for optimal performance, I'd rather get best price! Thanks for your input everyone.

As a side note, I couldn't find any UK sellers of the Eye Hortilux bulbs.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I just swapped out some 2 year old generic 1000's with eye hortilux 1000's. HUGE difference. I won't go more than a year before changing bulbs again.

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Hortilux Super HPS has the highest initial lumen output. Believe PAR as well. They run me about $70-75 so they are pretty reasonable price wise as well.

Snype

Veteran
I only use Hortilux 1,000's. I change bulbs after every 2 harvests and my meter shows a 12.5% loss after 2 crops with 1 week VEG each crop.

I'm running eye. I try to keep with USA or European made lamps. I very much try to stay away from Chinese lamps. I don't know anything about them, just a hunch.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Pretty happy with the Gavita Pro 600 - if you have a 240v line i would suggest checking those out.

drsmoke69

yo, i run cheap hps bulbs and change them out frequently, my local grow store has there own brand (grow brights, agro-max) something like that. never have had a problem with any of them. recently i started running a 1000w hps bulb with my digital 600w ballast. i get more light because the bulb is twice the size as the 600w bulb. only try this with digital ballasts. haven't had any problems at all. vegged under this setup with 24hr light for 2 months no problem, switched to 18hr light vegged for another couple weeks, still no problems. now i'm flowering with the 1000w hps bulb (12 - 12) and still no problems. i definitely can see the difference between the two, and don't need a light meter to tell me so. try it out you will be surprised.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Horti's and Ushio if you don't mind spending the $.
Horti super reds !!! i have Ushio's in right now & I can see the Horti' are much better !!!!

i've tried every bulb under the sun & i'll stick to the Horti's even at 120 $ for a 600 watter .(inflated grow shop price )

couchlockd

i feel it goes like this.

hortilux, ushio, GE lucalox PSL, Sylvania GroLux. are the number ones to choose from, all pretty equal in my book.

then second place,

sunmaster, solarmax, plantmax, and the like.

then the run of the mills

ultra sun, and all the ones that seem the same, (you know what i mean they all look the same, the logo on the bulb jacket is in the same spot, same color and same shape almost, just diffent words. like "ultra sun" or "plus rite" or "plant max".