What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, it's getting closer. Thanks again to everyone who contributed. Your advice and influence changed my destination from Santa Barbara to San Diego. Based on the issues SB has with smoke, mud and all the other crap, SD stared to sound nicer. And, warmer.

As it sits, you have convinced me that Ocean Beach, Mission Beach is my first choice.

I have to wait for this crop to finish but after I harvest, I'll be flying out for a week or 2 to complete my decision. We'll book a hotel in OB or MB and make sure we like the neighborhood. That will be early May.

If we are pleased with the neighborhood and everything, we will fly back home, sell the house, and rent a vacation home for 2 months. I want ocean FRONT, not ocean view. Then we pack up the dog and drive out with our clothes and some personal stuff we'll need. I figure 3 months to sell and close on my house. So, back in SD by August/Sept.

After 2 months in the fully furnished vacation home, we should have a long term (1 year) rental selected. At that time, we move in, call the mover (who will store our stuff for 2 months) to send our stuff out. Mostly my wife's junk and crap.

Buy some new furniture. Bingo, by October/ November I live in San Diego.

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again

EDIT: If anyone works for a real estate company that has relocation experts, or a company that specializes in rentals in OB and MB, I would love a reference. So far, it looks like Century 21 1st Choice Realty in OB. Any info on a vacation rental on the beach is welcome. Thanks

packerfan79

Veteran
Well, it's getting closer. Thanks again to everyone who contributed. Your advice and influence changed my destination from Santa Barbara to San Diego. Based on the issues SB has with smoke, mud and all the other crap, SD stared to sound nicer. And, warmer.

As it sits, you have convinced me that Ocean Beach, Mission Beach is my first choice.

I have to wait for this crop to finish but after I harvest, I'll be flying out for a week or 2 to complete my decision. We'll book a hotel in OB or MB and make sure we like the neighborhood. That will be early May.

If we are pleased with the neighborhood and everything, we will fly back home, sell the house, and rent a vacation home for 2 months. I want ocean FRONT, not ocean view. Then we pack up the dog and drive out with our clothes and some personal stuff we'll need. I figure 3 months to sell and close on my house. So, back in SD by August/Sept.

After 2 months in the fully furnished vacation home, we should have a long term (1 year) rental selected. At that time, we move in, call the mover (who will store our stuff for 2 months) to send our stuff out. Mostly my wife's junk and crap.

Buy some new furniture. Bingo, by October/ November I live in San Diego.

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again

EDIT: If anyone works for a real estate company that has relocation experts, or a company that specializes in rentals in OB and MB, I would love a reference. So far, it looks like Century 21 1st Choice Realty in OB. Any info on a vacation rental on the beach is welcome. Thanks

I hope your plan goes off without a hitch. Those are both awesome beaches we go to mission beach at least once during the summer. I have worked a block from ocean beach. Nice view from a 2nd story roof top.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks very much for the well wishes. I'm sure there will be some bumps along the way but..... we shall survive. LOL

Thanks again.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Getting closer and counting the weeks.

I am going to come out in May for a couple weeks and look around. I have a couple questions, if I may...

I would like to stay at a hotel with a beach front patio on Ocean Front Walk in Mission Beach or Pacific Beach. Any recommendations?

Also, is this something that is busy and hard to book? Is there a 'season' on Mission Beach?

Doing a Google walk, I walked the Ocean Front Walk from the bottom of Mission Beach up to Pacific Beach and then Ocean Blvd to La Jolla. Wow, beautiful

I can see renting a place in the 3000 block of Ocean Front Walk for a year. After getting tired of all the people walking through my front yard, La Jolla sure has some beautiful homes. Wow. I see me living there in 2 years, if not Santa Barbara.

Anyway, for now, a hotel recommendation would be great. And, whether to expect a rush and difficulty booking a room.

Thanks again

And.... I'm buying the beer at the hotel bar for anyone who wants to party. :)

Hmmmm? Come to think of it, is there a place I can buy pot near Mission Beach?

May is prior to peak season, after the 1st week of June it's very busy.
As far as smoke, Check weedmaps or walk around and ask around when you check in.

If you want ocean front book as soon as possible and over the phone directly. Don't trust a third party to get you a ocean front. That is a premium room.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks. Perhaps I should start planning. I didn't see any hotels that I liked. Love to hear recommendations on that.

Thanks again, everyone.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Looks like the Blue Seas Beach Hotel is a good choice. Ocean Park Inn was another nice one. Getting excited counting down the weeks.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
You can buy pot in California now that's it legal..Recreation and medical..Same price.Looking at weedmaps.com ..you can find the city where someone will have an dispensary.I think you need California ID so taking a driver's test could be easy.

I've been in California all my life..and have visit alot of places.

I was a surfer that knows all the beaches up and down the coast.

San Francisco is always cold..very expensive to live out there.Good dog places to roam in the parks.Beach is always cold.Anything North will be cold and raining alot.200 days of sunshine but it's overcast alot of the times.

San Diego is a nice place and the weather is warm.I haven't been back since I was born there and remember all the way up to 5 years old.Fun times at the beach always.Always sunny.They have places to rent on the beach as well as NewPort Beach which has a walking path in front of the place or home.

Santa Barbra and La jolla is expensive places to live also...More like middle upper class.I ran a 5K there once and people were awe that someone like me would run a 5Km out there.Lots of Stares.Good all-around place.Lots of nice homes.

Long beach has nice places where one can walk,ride and have dog parks (Rosie's dog beach) that is on the beach...Ocean Blvd on Google maps going south to Bemont Shore ..Area code is 90802 so its easier if you were to use Google to follow the streets as if you were driving down the street...Rent is not expensive but the place is booming with new places in the downtown area.Queen Mary is also out here and lots of people walk there for the views.Belmont Shore(next city over) is a little town,mix of everything and Middle Class.Off of 2nd street you can see the shops and the homes are all behind the shops.Only place that you don't want people walking in front of your place is to rent in front of Ocean Blvd.

Venice beach is a mix of alot of people.Alot of People.Alot of interesting stuff.Alot of walking around if you're up to it...most folks these days are using electric scooters to get around.To live there? More like a mile from the beach just to avoid traffic.Too many people live there.Way too many and tourists love the place.Big crowd.I always find a parking space out there but can be hectic living there.

Moving up north,Santa Cruz up north is a small town also and have more houses and people are more relaxed,more of a hippy culture but times have changed with people having jobs.Beach is good and water still cold.Nothing about dogs because I don't see alot of them.Very local place so if one is an outsider,be aware and they will talk smack.Laugh it off. (In the water,I heard a Local told a guy that he was surfing before his mother was born,the fight was on in the water)..lol

Huntington beach down south is also almost the same with people dressing nicer but places are hard to find to rent..everyone wants to live there.Weather is great like long beach but I don't know anything about the dog parks on the beach,only in Long beach.

Remax is a good Real estate company that I've used and I think they own the beach territories.

Good luck!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Wow, fucking tour guide. LOL Thanks a lot. Awesome information.

Do I really need a 'California' ID? Or, is any out-of-state ID OK?

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Yes..some form of ID saying that you're 21 years or older.

Since it became legal then no driver test needed to have an ID.

I know some great weed dispensaries that aren't on weedmaps because they say it's expensive to list.The SFV San Fernando Valley OG is mighty potent.Does have that Sour Smell.

Funny you're talking about moving and I'm about to find a place for me also out of state..lol ... California is getting expensive.

News from the Silicon Valley (San Jose,it's about 50 miles from Santa Cruz beach) says that 5,000 new millionaires might be made if some IPO's from some companies become public.

Dang..I just moved out of there!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang... as the day comes closer and the fantasy fades while reality rears it's ugly head, I am thinking of the practical things I'll need like.......

Veterinarians

I have a golden who is 6 and we take pretty good care of him with regular vet visits, diet, training and he's really a big part of my life. So, it's as important to me to find a good vet as it is to find a good surgeon [I need a knee replaced :) ]

I imagine since California is a big dog state, there are a ton of vets. That can be good or bad.

I don't know for sure but I'll probably be living in Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach or LaJolla. Somewhere along that line.

Anything special I should know about bringing my dog to California? Sand Fleas? LOL

Thanks again to all for the great help getting through this.

This was him at our first training class ....

Attachments

• ringo at class.jpg
    ringo at class.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 39
Interesting sub topic
Rabies vaccination 30 days prior, Healthy dog certificate from a Vet. There is more but to start you need to google that Importing a pet dog is a big process. Cool Dog by the way.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks. I did a little quick searching and one thing I found was that some landlords will allows pets (even though the ad said no pets) if you can show them the dog is well behaved. One example was a landlord that required all dogs to pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen Test.

I was a dog trainer for 12 years and took dogs through AKC obedience competition so that might help.

I noticed the number of rentals with no pets vs pets allowed is about 10:1. That really sucks.

OK, I can't resist a few more pics..... LOL

Attachments

• Ringo04142015-1.jpg
    Ringo04142015-1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Ringo04142015-7.jpg
    Ringo04142015-7.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Ringo04142015-9.jpg
    Ringo04142015-9.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Ringo04142015-11.jpg
    Ringo04142015-11.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Ringo04142015-10.jpg
    Ringo04142015-10.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 36

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that is a great looking dog brother!
one thing you will enjoy about san diego is its a pretty dog friendly town
you also have to check out the dog beach, there is one down in OB and another up north in del mar
i stopped taking my dog to the ones down south but our pup enjoyed the one closer to home in del mar
del mar actually extends their "dog beach" during the winter months so they have a lot more room to walk but they also have a year round place dogs are welcome closer to the river mouth

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang, I am getting closer and one thing I need to know...... where is the closest place to buy pot?

I will be staying in Mission Beach.

Since I will be on a plane all day, I will not have had pot for many hours. I will be jonesing by the time we land. Somewhere between the airport and the hotel, I am going to need to stop and pick up a quick quarter for the night.

Is there a place to buy near Mission Beach? I did a search and it looks like there are only about 10 places in the entire city to buy pot?????? Is that right?

Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts