What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else seen this yet (Oil in canned butane)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
pentane lists at mild gasoline odor, pleasant. vaseline is supposed to be odorless, so it doesnt seem like the main ingredient in this residue is either of those. or at least something really strong and bad smelling is present as well..

someone else hypothesized sulfur? could be, its in all msds at <1 ppm, but concentrated into about 0.05g sample gained from 500 grams of butane used might smell pretty strong then.

Last edited:

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
The video is real, and if you had a closed loop system you would have seen this oil also if you use canned butane. He made a page on FB called mystery oil where he shows pics and everything of the setup. He ran 50 cans of tane though just a glass tube, no material, into a SS pot, all clean btw, and i think he got back 1.3g of this oil substances. It smells like a tire and is very grease, not sticky at all. Ive seen this oil in my collection pot of my MKIII when i fill up my tank. The butane goes in a gets recovered and this oil stuff is left behind. Obviously just one can isn't going to be a visually noticeable amount but when your transferring 3 cases in a 50LB refrigerant tank, quite a lot of oil shows up. This oil does get left behind luckily when the butane is recovered and put in the tank. So im pretty sure the only clean butane is each pure n-butane or canned butane that has been transferred from cans to a tank by a recovery process and it doesn't hurt to filter the butane though some activated charcoal before it gets recovered and put into a LP5 tank. Every canned butane has this, ive tried many brands and they are all the same, all leave this oil residue

Ya not to long ago a few others who setup mkIII had it cleaned to perfection before filling with butane to do a dry run and noticed the same oily substance,if you have ever cut up an empty butane can the inside is slightly oily.

As you stated the best thing you can do is clean it up a bit by running it threw some activated charcoal.

The guy thomas is legit and is spending quite a bit of $ and time to get these results out to the community.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Ya not to long ago a few others who setup mkIII had it cleaned to perfection before filling with butane to do a dry run and noticed the same oily substance,if you have ever cut up an empty butane can the inside is slightly oily.

As you stated the best thing you can do is clean it up a bit by running it threw some activated charcoal.

The guy thomas is legit and is spending quite a bit of $ and time to get these results out to the community.

Oh ya i was one of those folks, back in march was when i made this discovery, but didnt look into it further since after the butane was recovered i didnt have this issue, the oil stayed in the collection pot and after that was good to go

paperchaser825

Watched the video. What a beast. Can't wait till the lab results he is getting come back.

On another note, what makes the closed loop systems immune to the introduction of this oil?

M

mda232

the closed loop systems filter and recover the butane, which can be cleaned of the oil. its not so much the system, its the the butane can be cleaned of the oil before use. (i think)

The reason the Closed loop systems are able to clean out the contaminant is because the butane is pumped/vac-distilled out of the recovery pot, which separates the compounds by boiling point under vacuum. So far tests have shown that this contaminant does not boil off at 130F at 29.9hg, and the butane boils off long before that. However this is not true for all closed units, and even depends on the method you choose to can tap your butane in. as some common procedures like can tapping through the vac port on the MKIII, could lead to liquid butane being pumped into the LP50 before it has evaporated and seperated from the lubricant.

If you think about it, it is almost the same as spraying into your dish and letting it evaporate, leaving the "lubricant", but with the closed system, you recover the evaporated butane, which should now be free of the contaminant.

Vacuum distillation is a very common method of purifying OTC technical grade Solvents.

paperchaser825

I sure do hope winterization turns out to filter this stuff. Would be a shame if everyone had to put down over a grand just to see BHO with no contaminant.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf, why do you think it could be pentane?
Pentane Boiling point 36 °C, 97 °F.

Thomas Martin wrote on fb –
“After 4 hrs at 120*f I observed a relatively thick coating of oil with a machine oil odor.
and doesn't cold boil at -29.9hg and 135*f”

Solly bro, I was moving too fast, after having seen the same post on several other forums, including our blog, I didn't read all the way through this one.

I was reacting to the author finding an oily deposit after enough butane dissolved, and the most likely oily residue found in Butane, is Pentane, the next fraction up the chain with one more carbon and two more hydrogens.

As you note Pentane doesn't fit the rest of the description, now that I've read this whole thread, and certainly doesn't smell like a tire factory.

That is a subjective measurement, but what does smell like a tire factory to me, is burned cannabinoids, leading me to ignore that observation, since it was easy to see a blotchy film in the starting stainless container and I'm pretty sure unless it was a brand new tube, there was a starting film in it as well.

It is unlikely that fractions heavier than Pentane would be present in butane, unless it arrived there after the fact, because of the way that the liquid petroleum gases are processed. They are removed from the crude before the rest of the heavier elements are processed.

As far as oil in the Mk III lower end, I did see that once when I used a vacuum pump fill hose that had been contaminated with vacuum pump oil. It left both the clear mineral oil and some water behind. A dedicated fill hose would be a safeguard against that.

Folks have also sucked pump oil into the Mk III by shutting off the vacuum pump before closing the isolation valve, or at least into the hose before the valve was closed.

We do a throwaway flush run on a brand new Terpenator and find stuff in the tank, so I can't borrow a new unit and do a meaningful test, but I can simply test for residual oil using one of our existing units.

We only load about two cases when we run canned butane, but I will pick up a couple cases of Lucienne and load them into a Mk III using a brand new hose, and record what is left after transfer.

If there is a deposit and it is large enough, I will run it through the GC and see if we can figure out what it is.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
its not cannabinoids, i did the test myself three times with pristine tools( brand new tube, thoroughly IPA-d dish). also, you say burned, but i never heated this stuff, it was extracted into a warm dish, and then let cool, no heating to burn. actually when you burn it its even way more horrible.

each time from three cans i got a similar amount, and it smelled the same, and looked the same each time too. the third run of three cans was just as productive as the first three cans run, so there is no way i leached the stuff from the dish or anything. the smell is certainly very foul, and i cant say i have smelled the exact smell before anywhere.

as for the original guy, he says he has a sample around 2.5 grams, and is sending it to a lab today.

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
way too late buddy, the first post on this thread 3 days ago takes you to another of that guys pages on the subject, which all links together. thanks anyway tho :)

SpaceshipNelson

I just want to point out. . . . FaceCrack is the DEVIL! ! And thank you very much, now the C I A are on their way. . . Got to. . . . Smoke mass Dabs before. . . . relocation to FEMA camp. . . . . . . .

KonradZuse

Better stay off ICmap too....

Here is an updated quote from the dude's tests

Mystery Oil
Lab Update: Disclaimer! This is a GUESSTIMATE. The PhD on staff at Steep Hill Halent thinks it is a 'heavy' petroleum distillate. (Anyone surprised?) His guess is based on previous experience with petroleum distillates. Mineral Oil?

The real testing begins next Tuesday; we will keep you all posted.

Fun can tests on the way!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mystery Oil
Lab Update: Disclaimer! This is a GUESSTIMATE. The PhD on staff at Steep Hill Halent thinks it is a 'heavy' petroleum distillate. (Anyone surprised?) His guess is based on previous experience with petroleum distillates. Mineral Oil?

The real testing begins next Tuesday; we will keep you all posted.

Fun can tests on the way!
[/FONT]

Better stay off ICmap too....

Here is an updated quote from the dude's tests

Translated, if you fractionally distill crude oil, after the gaseous at room temperature petroleum gases like Methane, Ethane, Propane, and Butane are removed by simple heat distillation, the rest of the crude goes into a platformer with a hot platinum catalyst in the bottom, which turns the crude into vapors.

Those vapors rise up through the tower on the platformer, and the different boiling point hydrocarbon chains are drawn off at different levels in the tower.

The difference between Methane, which has one carbon atom (CH4), and Paraffin (C31H64) is the length of the chain. Both are simple saturated alkanes, and since their bonds are all satisfied, are highly inert.

Paraffin is not only used in jelly jars, it is used as an inert ingredient in medications, and can be dissolved and held in suspension by butane. That is exactly what all the XXXXXXX refining is about, is to remove those residual longer chain saturated alkanes (oleaginous waxes), that came along for the ride.

Paraffin is also correctly called a heavy hydrocarbon distillate, so the PhD would be correct in calling it that.

The big question of course, is which one. If you note that Methane has only one carbon and Paraffin 31, there are also 30 other simple saturated alkanes between Methane and Paraffin.

itsblown

So this leaves me asking, is there anyway of filtering the canned butane without spending thousands on a closed loop extraction system