What's new

Anyone done hydro in a swimming pool?

medicalmj

Veteran
Yeah aquaponics with a pool has been thrown out before. But all the ones I've seen have fish in a separate tank, ie the pool in your case. The roots won't be in the pool itself. Need a bio-filter too. One guy said an in ground pool would need like a couple acres of produce to properly filter and balance...

TheArchitect

Veteran
acres a requirement, no way, but its doable on that scale.

its scaleable to any size. you can do aquaponics on your counter all the way up. right fish(and size) right equipment, right design your good to go.

cravin morehead

Veteran
bio-filter no problem. you don't have to have the fish in a seperate tank, just like dwc. true, you need close to the same amount of fish tank and grow beds. whats wrong with a couple acres of bud?? jk. my buddy has a small pond loaded with fish. he pumps the nute/water to grow beds (veggies) and gravity takes the water back to the pond. works great.

medicalmj

Veteran
acres a requirement, no way, but its doable on that scale.

its scaleable to any size. you can do aquaponics on your counter all the way up. right fish(and size) right equipment, right design your good to go.

Yeah you're right. That's only if your goal is to raise fish then you'd need that much to filter the pool. Other wise size the fish to plants, not the plants to the fish. Oh hell, just grow a couple acres already, lol. Doesn't all have to be herb.

medicalmj

Veteran
bio-filter no problem. you don't have to have the fish in a seperate tank, just like dwc. true, you need close to the same amount of fish tank and grow beds. whats wrong with a couple acres of bud?? jk. my buddy has a small pond loaded with fish. he pumps the nute/water to grow beds (veggies) and gravity takes the water back to the pond. works great.

Actually been researching and plan to do this, on a smaller scale soon. I want to use a 500 gal tank.

Does your buddy have any issues with micronutes. I heard its much harder to grow cannabis than lettuce due to the micronute problem. And that the bacteria like a higher pH, which locks out iron.

jm420

Veteran
ive been looking for a cheap or free jaccuzzi all day ,i got a room to give it a shot.
nutes are still my biggest concern though

and if it dosnt work .i'll fix it and put it in the flower room ,just to hang out in and watch the garden lol

jm420

Veteran
growing plants is enough work ,i dont want to take care of fish 2.best way to a successfull grow would be chem nutes.imo.

jaccuzzis are insulated with the spray insulation as well so that takes rez temp out of the ?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
A/P would be awesome, but it seems it would be easier to use Jack's or maxibloom with something of this size. Plus, you could use it to feed/water several different areas, not just the buds....veggie garden, flower beds, etc...

cravin morehead

Veteran
Does your buddy have any issues with micronutes. I heard its much harder to grow cannabis than lettuce due to the micronute problem. And that the bacteria like a higher pH, which locks out iron.

well, he doesn't grow cannabis in it yet. its been running for about 8-9 months maybe loser to a year. sorry, we were incredibly baked and beer buzzed when we designed and built it. i asked him, but his wife doesn't want me to post pics here. there are no problems with any nutes, micro or macro. he supplements the fish waste with dyna nutes and micro-blast. both are dosed at around 10% strength. hard to say the actual dosing because we're not exactly sure how many gallons are in the system. but he increased dosage until any deficiencies were fixed. not much is used though. the grow beds are blue plastic barrels split and filled with gravel. the drains are using affnans siphons (bell valves) and can be seen here: http://affnan-aquaponics.blogspot.com/2010/02/affnans-valve-detailed-explanations-of_9459.html
these valves are great. no flood timers are needed. the valves begin draining only after a pre set water depth has been reached. so the system is constantly flowing; filling to desired depth, then quickly draining drawing in oxygen. i think these valves could really improve typical flood and drain tables for cannabis too.
in fact, here is a great site for personal AP systems. this site is great: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/index.php
here is a in-home (kitchen) system i am designing for myself:

i've already bought the aquarium, its 18gallon. not 12. will probably raise either bluegills or tilapia with crayfish. this would be on a wire rack shelf system with either t5's or cfls. not sure yet. what do you guys think??

sorry for the ramble, but i'm really into his idea.

cm
forgot to mention the best part of his set-up, fishing the pond!! ultra-light gear w/ barbless hooks, all day fun!! occasionally we'll keep a fish or 2 to grill up. or a bucket of crawdads and fresh veggies!! awesome!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts