What's new

Any additives still around to stop stretch>

positivity

Veteran
If a plants stretchy I just top it right before the flip. Usually works well enough. It does help if the secondary growth is a little developed from good veg growth
I think I read somewhere alfalfa teas promote better stacking due to the tria. Haven't really tried it yet

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
If a plants stretchy I just top it right before the flip. Usually works well enough. It does help if the secondary growth is a little developed from good veg growth
I think I read somewhere alfalfa teas promote better stacking due to the tria. Haven't really tried it yet

I personally would not top right before flower. Tries it on my last run and really screwed up my yield and everything else was done perfectly, so no other factors came into play...

What I would do is use one, or a combination of bending, super cropping (last resort), tying down, kelp, triacontanol, using blue spectrum lighting (mh, cmh, etc) for the first 2 weeks of flower, dialing in temps just right...

Screw topping... if your gonna top, do it at the LEAST a week before flip.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
What about Gibberellic Acid? It stops the stretch and makes the plant more compact when used outside the stretch, applied as a foliar spray.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
What about Gibberellic Acid? It stops the stretch and makes the plant more compact when used outside the stretch, applied as a foliar spray.
I heard the opposite but, then again it was in a thread wrt concentration of the solution for popping old seeds. For the lack of a better word, gibberellic acid is a growth hormone, well it isn't but it supercharges the seeds growth hormone (nitrous oxide). Concentrations over 100ppm can prove problematic, only use as much as you need. When the concentration is too high, they sprout, stretch like MOFOs and die.

Grapefruitroop

Answering to the OP..
If you are PLANNING on next grow , then plan on low stretch genetics, indica dominant, and definitely plan on a regular topping or and LST
:peacock:
Also using alfalfa or triancontanol during veg will help keep them bushy
No need for chemical hormones because we already get plenty with the everyday fruits and veggies that we eat!:biggrin::biggrin:

BTW GreenleafNutrients sells Gravitron that has the infamous Pacobutrazol..
:tiphat:

Mr. J

Apparently they have a bottle for everything these days. It's ridiculous. If anything the answer is less bottles not more bottles. I remember when they started selling bottles for flushing. And people actually started buying them. Seriously, like just stop feeding it and just give it water it's not brain surgery. If you don't want stretch choose a plant that isn't stretchy. Plenty to choose from. The whole Advanced Nutrients line is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen and I can't believe that people actually buy into that crap. The artwork is kinda neat but come on.

Grapefruitroop

The artwork is kinda neat but come on.

You nailed the key element of these companies!:laughing:

My best friend opened a grow store and we can't stop laughing at some peeps that show up randomly...
There was a guy that literally spread his eyes wide open , stopped what he was talking about and said " that one!!! I NEED THAT ONE!!!! " He indicated a product that he didn't even knew what it was but he said " I NEED THAT ONE THAT HAS THE FAT PIG ON THE BOTTLE BECAUSE THATS WHAT I HAVE TO GROW, FAT BUDS , FAT LIKE PIGS" He was referring to some carbo booster of advanced nutrient with a pig portrayed on it....
I mean....if is this what they want....pictures ....let them have it! :biggrin:

BillFarthing

Veteran
You nailed the key element of these companies!:laughing:

My best friend opened a grow store and we can't stop laughing at some peeps that show up randomly...
There was a guy that literally spread his eyes wide open , stopped what he was talking about and said " that one!!! I NEED THAT ONE!!!! " He indicated a product that he didn't even knew what it was but he said " I NEED THAT ONE THAT HAS THE FAT PIG ON THE BOTTLE BECAUSE THATS WHAT I HAVE TO GROW, FAT BUDS , FAT LIKE PIGS" He was referring to some carbo booster of advanced nutrient with a pig portrayed on it....
I mean....if is this what they want....pictures ....let them have it! :biggrin:

I gave a few years of my life to the hydro industry. At the end of the day, it's a total ripoff. It's the same 16 elements and 8 types of biostimulants in really expensive dolled up water.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
There is a constant exchange of products being released, tested, and removed from the shelves as the next one arrives. Often labeled organic. That small window in time is exploited, bringing the product to market before testing. Same with insecticides. Don't touch any of it.

Best cure for stretch... don't use sodium lamps. A cool lamps like leds have little far red, which is major contributor towards stretch. So much some, that people are adding far red to get some!

BongFu

Bad Info

Bad Info

Gibberellic Acid (GA) makes plants stretch like a bitch hence PGR actives like paclobutrazol being GA inhibitors.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Gibberellic Acid (GA) makes plants stretch like a bitch hence PGR actives like paclobutrazol being GA inhibitors.
Then how come every time I have used it the plants end up short and stocky?
How come I ended up with a plant 15cm tall with no internode spacing when I overdosed a plant as an experiment?

BongFu

Then how come every time I have used it the plants end up short and stocky?
How come I ended up with a plant 15cm tall with no internode spacing when I overdosed a plant as an experiment?

Perhaps your plant isn't of planet earth because GA causes massive amounts of stretch in every species I know of. Or perhaps someone is flogging you a GA inhibitor (e.g. paclobutrazol) with a dicey label:) Bit of science...

Gibberellin research has its origins in Japan in the 19th century, when a disease of rice was shown to be due to a fungal infection. The symptoms of the disease including overgrowth of the seedling and sterility were later shown to be due to secretions of the fungus Gibberella fujikuroi (now reclassified as Fusarium fujikuroi), from which the name gibberellin was derived for the active component. The profound effect of gibberellins on plant growth and development, particularly growth recovery in dwarf mutants and induction of bolting and flowering in some rosette species, prompted speculation that these fungal metabolites were endogenous plant growth regulators and this was confirmed by chemical characterisation in the late 1950s https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4622167/

Gibberellins are growth hormones that stimulate cell elongation and cause plants to grow taller. Gibberellins also have a role in other plant processes, such as stem elongation, germination, flowering, and fruit ripening. In humans, the pituitary gland secretes the human growth hormone at appropriate times; the plastids of a plant secrete gibberellin in a similar fashion.

Gibberellins are growth hormones that stimulate cell elongation and cause plants to grow taller. Gibberellins also have a role in other plant processes, such as stem elongation, germination, flowering, and fruit ripening. In humans, the pituitary gland secretes the human growth hormone at appropriate times; the plastids of a plant secrete gibberellin in a similar fashion. https://study.com/academy/lesson/gibberellins-in-plants-definition-function-quiz.html

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Want a non chemical solution?

#1 You can reduce far-red and increase blue in your spectrum. This will reduce stretch, though it tends to grow more leaf. As a temporary situation during stretch, it should be fine.

#2 Drop your temps and humidity. I get almost no stretch after flip with my plants. I literally have to veg them longer as there's no explosion of growth. 68F incoming air, 70F max canopy temp, low 20'sRH. Massive difference in terpene retention. ;)

Want a non chemical solution?

#1 You can reduce far-red and increase blue in your spectrum. This will reduce stretch, though it tends to grow more leaf. As a temporary situation during stretch, it should be fine.

#2 Drop your temps and humidity. I get almost no stretch after flip with my plants. I literally have to veg them longer as there's no explosion of growth. 68F incoming air, 70F max canopy temp, low 20'sRH. Massive difference in terpene retention. ;)
As far as production goes have you only notice a quality increase with temps that low? I run c02 in flower and I like to drop the temps when I cut c02 but I was always curious if running lower temps with c02 would decrease the absorption and lower my yield.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
As far as production goes have you only notice a quality increase with temps that low? I run c02 in flower and I like to drop the temps when I cut c02 but I was always curious if running lower temps with c02 would decrease the absorption and lower my yield.
Correct, the quality increase is significant. Should you want the same yields as hot/wet, you'll have to increase your veg times. Your yields will have a much higher resin:flower ratio.

As for CO2, my opinion is a negative for quality. It's great for growing lots of plant matter, also closed setups, and supplementation in some situations.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
I will say this... I have -very- limited head room in my new setup that I have been running the last 3 years. I purchased some of AN's Bud Blood and gave it a shot to see if it was worth all of the hype I have ran across online forever so long. I can say that it most definitely worked for me...

At the end of week one/beginning week 2 of 12/12 my plants seemed to be more like they usually are in week 3 rather than week 2. So it most definitely holds up to its claim to induce flowering faster right off of the bat. It also slowed down vertical growth significantly and even though I am running multiple strains in my room, they're more uniform and every plant in the room has tight stacked nodes.

I also think that having better control over my environment (specifically temps) this run also made a big difference as I synchronized the day/night temps pretty much exactly even. 75°f during lights on, around 74-75° during lights off.

I say if you have never gave Bud Blood a shot, give it a try. You won't be disappointed. I mixed it @ 1/4 tsp per gallon and fed full strength with half strength base nutrients (a&b).