What's new

anti-anxiety strains?

T

turdcat

There is no right answer to this question. Everyone's brain is different and everyones anxiety is different. Some people will say pure sativas some will say pure indicas and some will say a good 50/50 mix. Some people may say a certain strain but forget to mention that they harvest it way late/early. Get a wide variety of strains then harvest them at different times.

For me, I like sativas harvested early. My anxiety gets bad if i think I look stoned. And indicas make me look real baked.

Goodluck on your search to find a strain that works well for you. Try to stay away from strains people call racy, i call it speedy weed.
+1 So many variables.
Shiskaberry for me was nice.

WelderDan

Veteran
First, everyone has a different body chemistry, so what may not bother one person with anxiety issues may cause another to flip out.

I have mild anxiety disorder and some Sativas will put me in panic mode. For example, too much C99 (or anything with a "racy" type buzz) may trigger an anxiety attack. Not always, and the amount it takes varies. I can smoke Sativas, I just have to take a few hits, wait a few minutes and gauge my reaction.

Indica strains don't seem to have that effect. I can safely puff heavy narcotic type weed and it doesn't bother me.

Blueberry has an uplifting, soaring type buzz to me, and it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't call it "anti-anxiety", but it doesn't trigger it.

I can't think of any strain I've smoked that I would describe as anti-anxiety. It's just some strains don't cause a reaction, and some can.

4 Dragons

Blue Heaven by DJ Short if you can find it. Was bred for anti anxiety.

For relaxing, Romulan should handle just about anyone.

johnbobit

I like nebula and potofgold for my anxiety. Anything that slows the mind helps me.
I would use sativas, but I can only handle a couple sativas in my garden.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
There is a Romulan x Blueberry cross that might be worth considering:

Blueberry Punch, from Next Generation Seed Co.

Never tried it but logic suggests it would be a soothing and chilling treat.

Croissant

indica sativa generalizations dont really work for this matter. It comes down to specific lineages and even phenos in some cases. More often than not it will be a hybrid of some sort, at least in the west.

with that said from personal experience I recomend:
Yumboldt,
Blueberry,
bubbleberry,
bubblegum,
cali orange,
romulan,
purple urkle,
mendo purps,
apollo 11

with yumboldt and blueberry being by far the most anti-anxiety and spiritual of that list. apollo 11 the most clear headed. bubbleberry the most permagrin. Romulan and yumboldt the most relaxing.

first hand a lot of people tend to praise nl influenced strains for this... I find that nl tends to add a foggy headed/stupididty type stone element to its crosses which I dont like most of the time. I found bbxnl and pot of gold to be to my liking.

many people online tend to praise the following:
kk strawberry cough and related ie strawberry diesel
all djshort strains
love potion(1, 1.1, and 2),
kali mist
satori, (and other mandala strains)
jack herer(certain phenos)
mango haze (certain phenos)
ice cream,
sour diesel
hawaiian strains,
highland oaxaca gold,
highland colombian gold,
some nepalese and north indian strains

I've grown and smoked the white widow, strawberry cough and 2 different phenomes of diesel, and the white widow is no longer in my garden due to poor yeild and taste, but I did cross her with strawberry cough and that turned out really nice and mostly indica dominant and was good for pain and stress relief. I'm calling this strain scarlet venom.

Strawberry cough is nice, relaxing and helps me with pain.

The stinkier and lankier of the diesels is good for social situation, but not for heavy smoking for me.

I also really love dj short's blueberry, but it doesn't elevate my mood, it does help greatly with nausea though.

I really like golden goat for mood elevation and pain relief, but it doesn't really do anything for my nausea at all, I have found that golden goat havested at about 70 days when it's still mostly cloudy trichomes gives the best mood elevation (and also hard core munchies for me too) and golden goat harvested later, at about 50% amber tichomes, it is not so much in the mood elevation category, but also the munchies aren't as intense and the pain relief increased too at the later harvested date. I think golden goat migh tbe a clone only strain out here on the medical scene in colorado and making its way to other places I'm sure.

I really liked breeder steve from SOL shishkaberry, but not cash crop ken's shishkaberry, so be really careful about the shishkaberry you get... I found out the hard way.

Nirvana's bubbleicious is also really good at about 6 weeks into flower, and it also brought on the stone cold munchies harvested at 6 weeks in.

igrowone

Veteran
cali orange,

Croissant, this is an interesting one, to me anyways since i bought a pack of nirvana Cali-o
you don't see this mentioned with anxiety, but i guess i bought from the descriptions from some growers
was it notable in any way?

bodymind

Veteran
i used to think that indicas were "anti-anxiety" and that sativas were "speedy". but over the years i've come to realize that is not necessarily the case. if you are trying to relax at night and go to sleep then a well cured indica will often be really soothing, but if you smoke that same plant and then then try to go be a day to day functioning person then it will be really difficult for it to maintain it's anti-anxiety characteristics. you will be battling it's nature.
i have recently found inspiration and anti-anxiety in flo, which as you probably know, is a 60/40 sativa leaning hybrid.
i think you need to try a lot of strains that people are recommending and find your own plant/plants for all occasions. also, try some kind of therapy, or some kind of consistent yoga classes. your relationship with this plant is one of many relationships that require your honest and full attention.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Sativas...

Let them ripe until leaves are yellow and buds have progressed to the classical fox tail pattern. Milky trichs are a must.. with 20% amber being ideal.

They can be tamed... just let them go as long as they want, not you.

No upper (Meth or Coke; all in the past thanks to homegrown cannabis) ever made me "tweak/paranoid" so hard as early harvested sativas.

So let them yellow for the mellow!

loko17

Very interesting and useful thread.
I lately get very heavy panic attacks(had them b4 when smoked too much) when I smoke even a small amount of ganja.
Have been smoking almost everyday for the past 3 years until 10 days ago when 1 toke got me so paranoid I couldnt feel my arms and legs and couldnt figure out when to inhale or exhale and how fast I should be breathing. I actually felt Im going to faint or die. It is really a horrible experience but I love smoking and I will keep on trying with different strains. Im sure there is more of people with this problem so let me give this thread a bump so we can help each other by finding more suitable strains 4 us!

eexpee

I was asking the exact same thing a few months ago as I have, or should I say, had, the exact same problem. After a lot of research I ended up getting Mandala's M #1, and hashberry. Both of them work well for this purpose. Make sure to leave M#1 a little longer to take away any edgy 'sativaness' and it does the job nicely. Before I used to have to have a small toke, wait 5-10 minutes before gauging when/if I should have another toke. However, both these strains have taken away that need and there is no fear in having a large one of either, because, although M#1 has a powerful high, it doesn't seem to bring on any anxiety and leaves you quite functional. I would highly recommend either or both of these strains.

:thank you: Mandala

I am looking into purple and blue strains next. :)

Croissant

Croissant, this is an interesting one, to me anyways since i bought a pack of nirvana Cali-o
you don't see this mentioned with anxiety, but i guess i bought from the descriptions from some growers
was it notable in any way?

I am not sure if I ever tried nirvanna cali-o.

I have come across 2 different varients called cali-o in norcal. One was almost tangerine flavored. They packed a nice buzzing high that had a lazy summertime afternoon vibe. It felt relaxing and happy, the high was short lived and not the most potent, but there was no burnout. Overall very tasty and a pleasant experience. if i was to buy orange from seed I would look into dutchmans royal orange or tgas agent orange. or c-plus witch if blueberry x cali o

yoss33

Veteran
The most happy strains I've tried all descend from mexican sativas - some Haze phenos, Nirvana's Royal Flush (Oaxacan x Jock), some Skunk #1 phenos. Such positive strains are even happier if harvested early.
On the other hand there are strains (mostly indica, like NL) which if picked up earlier give a trippy and potentially paranoid high, but at later harvest give a pleasant mellow body high with calmed foggy head. I wouldn't call these strains anti-anxiety, they are just not anxiety inducing.

igrowone

Veteran
thanks for that info Croissant
i've already bought the nirvana version, so i'm going to give it a try
it does sound pretty similar to your experiences
quite a few breeders seem to provide this strain, or something similar
the nirvana was reworked a few years back, more indica now

ibjamming

Veteran
The most happy strains I've tried all descend from mexican sativas - some Haze phenos, Nirvana's Royal Flush (Oaxacan x Jock), some Skunk #1 phenos. Such positive strains are even happier if harvested early.
On the other hand there are strains (mostly indica, like NL) which if picked up earlier give a trippy and potentially paranoid high, but at later harvest give a pleasant mellow body high with calmed foggy head. I wouldn't call these strains anti-anxiety, they are just not anxiety inducing.

Personally...it seems to me that the timing of the chop (percent of clear, cloudy, amber) more than the strain, determines the high.

It seems to me that everything I grow, if picked at the same "ratio", has the same high. A bit of everything. Laughter, activity, stupidity, stupor, couchlock, sleep...depending on the day, time, and company.

To me...plants picked early lose a lot in potency. I'm tired of getting snookered with false maturity date claims. I let them go until I just start seeing an amber here and there.

Using "my" method, I get as high as my plant is capable of getting me. As a result, my plants typically go to 90 days...sometimes longer. At 50, 60, sometimes 70 or 80 days...the high is weak and short lived. I refuse to take them then. It's a waste. You don't get back enough smoke to get you through to the next harvest. The buds are light and airy. No thanks...

They DO smell and taste much better when taken early...but I'm after getting high, medicating, not smoking "flavored cigarettes".

I never get any anxiety...it's always nice and mellow. Not sleepy, not tired...mellow...relaxed...

I'm agreeing with you about maturity and anxiety and I'm trying to expound on it a bit...

BIGGS

Veteran
i read a post on another site from someone suffering with anxiety. he said these strains worked well for him:

strawberry cough
dj's-blueberry
masterkush
white rhino
bubba kush
satori
sadhu
white satin
super skunk#1
white berry

he said the best was white rhino. hope this helps someone.

igrowone

Veteran
quite a list there BIGGS, quite a few of those i've seen in the good for anxiety group
white rhino is interesting, reputation for pain/sleep evening smoke
i just tried my 'more matured' NL last night, it really did do a nice job on anxiety, but is kind of heavy for day use
the skunk is the one i'm reading up on now, i've seen a few mentions that is very calming if left to mature into the amber
less mature skunk sounds like it could send you into a panic attack, so interesting strain in that respect

Latest posts

Latest posts