What's new

Another happy day in hell...

catbuds

Thanks DD. Trudging along with changes in mind for next season, lol.

Anybody know WTF kind of spider this is...?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53712&pictureid=1267701&thumb=1]View Image[/url] . [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53712&pictureid=1267700&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Looks a bit like a tiny black widow...but it's not black. And I really didn't want to turn it over to check for the hourglass, lol.

I'd like to think it wasn't munching on the plant, (no damage seen) and it looks like a predator...but it didn't make it more than a minute after the photo. (all gone) I sprayed around the fence, so it didn't crawl in. But with the winds we have, airborne assaults are possible. Even for wingless bugs.

I see those sometimes too. I've seen em eat bugs, so they're the good guys..... except I COULD die by breaking my neck running away! Big time arachnaphob (spelling) here! LOL!
- in commercial greenhouses here, we sometimes use white material to keep roots cooler, as black attracts & stores heat. The white reflects to the undersides of the plants boosting photosynthesis & helping lower bud sites (flower sites in the comm grnhses). Sometimes I just use several layers of unprinted newspaper. Wet each layer as you go helps it 'stick'. Once its dry (tears when still wet), you can poke hole in it with a pitch fork. Every commercial nursery is as different in technique as us old pot growers. You learn more by moving around than by staying put. Kinda like learning from each other on the forums! :)
- Stinkyattics posts were still up when I got banned, but I read them & thought she was cool & its their loss. Shovelhandle said she's working commercial greenhouses now. Reverse to me. BS in hort (an UNlearning experience as far as I'm concerned, even tho I aced it) & on to comm. grnhses since 1972, growing outdoors on the side. Went indoor grow a year or two later.
- Your babes look great! That's a lot of heat, needing lots of water. I know that must keep you hopping! I'm having indoor heat issues. Wanted them out before warm weather came, but.... new seedlings, still first set of leaves. Could NOT get the closet temps below 104-106 for about three days in a row. Scorched babies! A few died and I'm sure more will. Jalopeno seedling LOVE IT! I'm in a camper till I can get my house fixed. Severe roof damage by hurricane Sandy & I'm to broke to change a damned thing. So when the sun hits this tin roof, temps soar! Gotta get what's left of my babes outside & replant a bunch. Doesn't matter how long you've done this, shit still happens! (Money is the root of my evil! Haha) :)
- I got to start my own thread so I can quit choking up everybody else's! Have a happy! :dance013:

Cat: I was thinking of using some Panda Film I have (black on one side, white on the other) but the wind would require I weigh-down (secure) all the edges. And with stagnant soil, the girls would get a tad bitchy. So far the drip trays keep the soil surface around 20 degrees cooler than without. So doing ok so far. But the real heat is inevitable.
Did you try any of the techniques from my Dealing With Heat Issues thread(s) on CanCom? I may have been banned, but the info is still valid, lol.

God, I hope that's not it. Yours looks like it's 6 inches long. Mine was only about 1/16 of an inch, lol. But yeah...looks the same. Thanks Weez.

Thursday was feeding day again. I fed full strength Grow Big and full strength Silica Blast. Looking like there's some new vegetative growth starting-up again. <whew> T'was kinda worried I'd have to harvest early and put-out a late crop. I'm not as worried now. Sorry for the fuzzy photo. I had a Rottweiler trying to help me take the shot.

Also, I put-out an 8 inch tall Eclectic Daisy in a 13 gallon pot. Will likely give it a few weeks outside, then decide whether to bring it back in. But if it's a mild summer, she might stay outside.

catbuds

Hey Rusty! I read every post you made over there! That's why I think they're nuts! Ban your best people & you're stuck with idiots! Maybe 3 good people left there! Your posts on dealing with heat were great! But I'm maxed out on fans. The fact that the camper itself is only about 15º cooler than the closet make the fans useless for actual cooling. There's 3 fans in the closet, counting exhaust & intake, & now two big box fans in front of the open doors blowing in. Had no intention of growing indoors once hot weather got here, but a friend PROMISED to help me get them in the woods, so I was aiming for 100 seedlings. They were only inside because he bailed on me. I offered him 50% of the harvest for helping me get them out. Walk with cane, so can't carry stuff. In my back yard, I can't go over 20 & keep them hidden. If he would have just said no, they would have been earlier & in my back yard already. AND I wouldn't have wasted all my best seeds. Guess that's what I get for being trusting & relying on others. Why he bailed? Anti-hard drugs as he used to be, he got himself hooked on heroin & can't even function! Re-planting & going straight out back when they break soil this time. First time I ever lost seedlings like this. Temps bad enough, but RH goes 12-15%! (60% outside).
- Your babies look so good! Glad the trays are working for you. Have you considered white (marble, I think) landscape stones inside the trays? Thinking that may bring temp down a few more degrees. Have a good one! :)

Still trudging-along. Yesterday was feeding day...no stress observed. Temperatures have been in the mid 90's with lows in the 60's, but it's supposed to warm-up to the mid 100's this week. Again. Humidity has been high for us (21%) and the winds are ceaseless, lol. My girls are protected pretty good from the wind itself...but the dust is a bit of a bummer. Makes a sticky mud when trying to rinse-off the plants. Sooo....I only rinse 'em every couple days, especially when it's humid. (an effort to avoid mold issues)

I went down and got a quart of white paint for the garden fence, where the sun first peeks over my mobile home. Hard to tell from the photo, but it does seem to brighten-up the area more than without the paint.

CB: People suck. Heck..."Everything sucks, nothing else matters", lol. (from a Heart song)
Monthly bills are getting in the way of going down and getting the bark/mulch. I'd prefer to stay away from rocks, as they retain a boatload of heat, but so far the ghetto approach is doing fine. So far, it helps retain surface soil moisture without mold issues.

Just another happy and heat-free day, patiently waiting for global warming (summer) to actually get here. Still seeing temperatures down into the low 60's overnight, and perhaps up to 100 during the day...which is chilly, for us. During the middle of summer our overnight temps rarely dive below 90 degrees.

Fed 'em yesterday. I may have mentioned this before, but I feed twice a week at half-strength - same weekly totals of ingoing N-P-K. Anyway...no complaints. New growth is looking pretty-much stress-free, except for some signs of re-vegging. Some 3-finger leaves accompanying the increased stretch. Kind of a relief...but I might have more plants than space if this growth continues all summer. :woohoo: Cautiously optimistic.

No insect damage visible. (yet) Still no signs of insects ON the plants, but I'm seeing moths NEAR the plants, so I'm positive that caterpillars are inevitable. I have some of Rosenthal's Zero Tolerance Herbal Fungicide. I'll give it a try, (it's all I have on-hand till I go into town) but I haven't found very much useful info on the stuff. It says it works on "pests" but doesn't specify which "pests". I hope it works, as I'm not someone that'll sit out there at night with a miners lamp and tweezers...and I definitely want to avoid all poisons whenever possible. I wonder what would happen if I mix Zero Tolerance and Neem Oil...

I've been avoiding trimming-up the girls till they acclimated to the schedules and environment. Guess it's getting to be that time. Indoors, I trim all branches and leaves that grow towards the center of the plant (increased airflow and light penetration) and remove the sucked-up shaded branches down-low. But with this mess...not quite sure where to start, lol. I have a feeling it starts with putting the Volcano bag and the remote control down, and picking-up the pruners, but I don't want to rush into it...

. .

Another feeding day yesterday. I upped their nitrogen a tad, looking for an upper limit.

T'was forecasted overcast and cooler (high 80's) till the afternoon, so I did a little trimming in the morning. Cleaned-out a bit of the interior crap, a few of the leaves blocking growing tips and the sucked-up 'underbuds' that will do nothing but take plant resources. You can hardly notice...but they'll get better airflow and light penetration. I'll have to take the tape measure out one of these days...but right now they're about 3 feet tall. (guestimate)

According to the local weather prognosticator...heat is on the way. Great. Been wanting to work on my tad a bit...:tumbleweed:

Dirtboy808

Veteran
To me it is a miracle that anything can grow in your desert. good job. You got more big plants then me this year. lol I'm still trying to save my one cross from worms , soaked the seeds in poison so keeping fingers crossed also put a 100 in the freezer something might work. Aloha DB

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Howzit, DB?

This seedworm thing is a worry.
Can you get some good close-up photos?
I.D. is the key.
Once we know what you're dealing with we can figure out how to save the seeds.
Pretty sure that freezing won't stop 'em.

If we can name that pest, we can use the right pesticide.
Or temperature, or air pressure, or vapor, whatever.
If we can put a name on 'em, we can put a hurt on 'em.

Aloha my friend, no worry about a small garden.
You will never run out of meds while I have a grow.

@Rusty.
Same goes for you.

Looks like you are doing well there.
They're looking sweet.:tiphat:
Maybe it's time to get some real mulch down, yah? :D

Aloha,
Wee

Dank Demon

Growing herb is a way of life!
Veteran
Looking good Rusty mate hope you get enough to see you through until you can grow again.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Howzit, DB?

This seedworm thing is a worry.
Can you get some good close-up photos?
I.D. is the key.
Once we know what you're dealing with we can figure out how to save the seeds.
Pretty sure that freezing won't stop 'em.

If we can name that pest, we can use the right pesticide.
Or temperature, or air pressure, or vapor, whatever.
If we can put a name on 'em, we can put a hurt on 'em.

Aloha my friend, no worry about a small garden.
You will never run out of meds while I have a grow.

@Rusty.
Same goes for you.

Looks like you are doing well there.
They're looking sweet.:tiphat:
Maybe it's time to get some real mulch down, yah? :D

Aloha,
Wee

Mr Wezz I could only see them with the scope you gave me. Small maggot looking and come out of the seed when she cracks.
I'm getting a few to tail now from the poison soak no signs of the little bastards. One day at RT's place would kill most anything it almost got me when I worked in the valley for a summer.lol

Way past time for needing real mulch, but bills keep popping-up. Perhaps this week. (keeping fingers crossed) T'was close to 110 yesterday, but the 21% RH made it kinda miserable. Fed 'em 10 gallons of full-strength nutes this morning. Guess we'll see if they can handle a normal dose with all this heat. Most folks stay indoors during the 'warmer' parts of the day. Tiz why Vegas is such a hot-spot at night.

The heat can be problematic here. But as long as I keep the soil hydrated without over-saturating the lower root zone...all is fine. If I spray during the afternoon heat...they wimp-out and sag. Per Linda Chalker Scott <Washington State U - Horticultural Mythbuster> (<<< it's a link to her site) there is no evidence that a foliar spray during the heat of day will cause leaf damage. (burn) The droplets may not damage the leaves per-se, but I believe the water interferes with transpiration, if albeit temporarily.

Mr Wezz I could only see them with the scope you gave me. Small maggot looking and come out of the seed when she cracks.
I'm getting a few to tail now from the poison soak no signs of the little bastards. One day at RT's place would kill most anything it almost got me when I worked in the valley for a summer.lol
Ouch. The dreaded taproot beetle. (not to be confused with the Ringo Star Beetle) but they typically disappear once you bury 'em. If not...have you thought of clones?
If you rub the seeds...do they start dancing-around...? (ala Mexican Jumping Beans)

The out-back garden isn't my only rodeo. I've done indoors for a few seasons, (15 years?) but I'm still tryin' to figure-out how to cram 250 amps into a 200 amp circuit.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Well, I could tell ya, but you might have some doubts about it.

LEDs have cut my power bill in half and are every bit as effective as MH or HPS.
And yes, I didn't believe it either, until I tested them.

Fat, tight, frosty buds that rival outdoor grown colas.
Then I save a metric shitload by not having to deal with the extra radiant heat.
Half the power, half the water, less ferts, less heat, and great buds.
No brainer, yah?
You'd think.

The detractors tend to make the same mistake.
They, or someone they know, either try a "china panel," or they get a quality light and through lack of confidence they hang it too close to the crown.
Led's target the more efficient wavelengths so will saturate the chlorophyll while not seeming all that bright to human eyes.
So, they treat them like CFL's and hang them within inches of the crown, just because they can do so without heat damage.
That overpowers the photosythesis and halts growth.
They blame the leds and run about badmouthing them from then on.

A smart response to their kvetching, is to offer to take those naughty lights off of their hands at a substantial discount. :D

Otherwise, the initial cost is a bit steep.
(Got around that by DIY.) :)
It amortizes quite rapidly with the lower power costs and no need to replace bulbs.
There are 2 compelling reasons to switch to LEDs.
Power cost, and heat.
You definitely qualify on heat.

I might even have a spare light you could try.
Email me, we'll talk.

Aloha,
Wee

Gry

Veteran
The color of the light in the first pictures wow , almost errie . Neat thread, and I bet I can learn a lot from someone dealing with your kind of heat. Makes me feel cool in the SFV. I really need to figure out how to grow through the summer with no ac.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Well, I could tell ya, but you might have some doubts about it.

LEDs have cut my power bill in half and are every bit as effective as MH or HPS.
And yes, I didn't believe it either, until I tested them.

Fat, tight, frosty buds that rival outdoor grown colas.
Then I save a metric shitload by not having to deal with the extra radiant heat.
Half the power, half the water, less ferts, less heat, and great buds.
No brainer, yah?
You'd think.

The detractors tend to make the same mistake.
They, or someone they know, either try a "china panel," or they get a quality light and through lack of confidence they hang it too close to the crown.
Led's target the more efficient wavelengths so will saturate the chlorophyll while not seeming all that bright to human eyes.
So, they treat them like CFL's and hang them within inches of the crown, just because they can do so without heat damage.
That overpowers the photosythesis and halts growth.
They blame the leds and run about badmouthing them from then on.

A smart response to their kvetching, is to offer to take those naughty lights off of their hands at a substantial discount. :D

Otherwise, the initial cost is a bit steep.
(Got around that by DIY.) :)
It amortizes quite rapidly with the lower power costs and no need to replace bulbs.
Power cost, and heat.
You definitely qualify on heat.

I might even have a spare light you could try.
Email me, we'll talk.

Aloha,
Wee

I'll take it if he don't I want to try a indoor grow it is on my bucket list. Aloha

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Soitenly!
You qualify on power cost. :)
Best way to veg indica hybrids on da island, all season long.
Then put 'em out when they are half as big as you want at harvest.
I'll have to show you my"purple room" sometime.

Alo Ha
Wee

woolybear

Veteran
Weezard;6426540[COLOR=Navy said:
][/COLOR]
Power cost, and heat.

Heat might cover it, but I'd add a third: EXPONENTIALLY LESS FIRE RISK

you have to respect the power of the light emitting diode. If you toss big cannabis plants under the LEDs without acclimating them, you'll have nuked fan leaves o-plenty [ like in my super sour skunk grow]

I acclimated my bigger plants for my currentl flowering tent by turning the leds on/off at 10-30 min intervals, with cfl running in the background

when i put my med man plants under the LEDs from CFL, the panels are a good 4' away from the babies.