What's new

Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Four

oldhaole

Veteran
Ready to go?

While you poor bastids on the mainland are freezing, for us here in Hawaii it's business as usual. Two complete seasons in six months. Plants started now will get to a couple of feet tall and bud quickly. Plants started at Christmas will reach five ft and bud with loose flowers.

Short season sets up long season. This is the time to chuck pollen. It also gives us a chance to test those newly made seeds, looking for various desirable traits, enabling me to pull a sucessfull long season, with plants that grow and thrive in our rather unique envionment.

At this point I have no clue on which way to go. The plants will show me. I do have some decent raw materials to work with.

This is a journey. The journey needs a destination.

Where I would like to go? What do I need?

First of all, Resistance to humidity. Where I live the days average 60% humidity and 90% at night. They can't rot. WPM is also a problem. Screw this up and the plants look like this.

picture.php

Next I want something nobody else has. On Maui that's not hard. I'm not the only person doing this. In the next couple of months I will become very social. Wifey calls this "the two month stone", I call it "market research". Beat the bushes and hit my friends up for seeds.

Also I need something pretty. Pretty sells. Period. Though growing them here is almost impossible, I prefer tight buds, but the market will tell me what they want. Finding testers isn't a problem.

And most importantly I want it to get you high. But honestly here on Maui....that's the easy part.

Now here's something new. The cops visited me around Labor Day and I need to have four of my seven harvested by then. They will be back next year. So this year I'm also looking for some strains that go off early too.

I did find the time to make some Headband and Violator Kush clones. Also cracked the rest of my Rodney and Jack Herer seeds. And we have some small long season plants right now budding....

picture.php

Those two in front already have balls.

I'd rather not run two logs at once but this is overlaping with part three and it's gotta start now if this is to fly. Rules are the same as all the others. The are none.

This isn't like Part Three. I don't have to figure out how to kill seven months of boring with a month of insanity. This one happens fast. It takes no time at all to get this.

picture.php

It needs another month. Short season is also the time where I make my personal stash. In ground monsters are a job. This is fun. It also gives me a chance to gloat and do my bit to support the Hawaii Visitors Industry.

oldhaole

Veteran
Chunky... your in luck. Right now everyone is in full harvest mode. If you want to see what that looks like find Part Three. I should be pulling the first Short Season plants in a month. Unless you are going to Oahu there should be plenty available on all the other islands until late January, when most of the island shoots their wad getting funds for Christmas.

Bring your sissors, I'll do my best to keep blowing it up until you arrive.

LetsSeeYa

Here we go again:jump:i luv it.

''Hi my name is LSY and im addicted to Oldhaole's grows/threads''.

:plant grow:

LSY

Last edited by a moderator:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Be still, my li'l, green, heart!

Be still, my li'l, green, heart!

No be shy, LSY
Tell us how you really feel. :D

<The wee 'zard, brushes off a toadstool and settles in.>

C

camoxnhx

count me in! Cant wait to see what that cross will bring! you always got some of the dankest looking buds growing in your garden. Have Fun Be Safe

-camo-

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Short season would also be a great time to grow seeds for long season,..... but hell you already know that! :D

Ahhh the wonders of NO season!

My Stud Rodney flowering under 18-6
picture.php

Rodnette, Mum with buns in the oven! :eek: :good: Again, 18-6
picture.php

oldhaole

Veteran
First cross is a simple one. We need to replenish the Rodney seeds.
Planted most of them last year, gave a few away (as you can now see it rubbed in my face in the above post)

Curse you Canni....your stealing my idea....well done. :tiphat:

Like Canni I need more Rodney seeds. Planted the leftover F2 seeds on 9/9. Ten grew, six boys, four girls. All have now declared.

picture.php

On the male side I kept three males. The first male to develop, and the last. These get Cheneyed....you know, stashed in an undislosed, secure, location. Also repotted them. The last is an in case of emergency boy that I chopped the top off. He can stay on the deck. Leftover three males were destroyed.

I have four girls. Again I watched who developed first. The earliest girl will be crossed with the earliest boy. This should give me an pure Rodney seed that has a propensity...like that word? probably spelled it wrong...to go off early. Cross the late girl and boy too. Those hopefully will go longer before they bud.

Two weeks ago I planted the last of my F2 Jack Herer seeds. Twenty grew including two trifoliates.

picture.php

The end goal there is more pure Jack Herer seeds and the Rodney x Jack cross. The last cross is the only one of Rodneys kids worth keeping. Also gonna mess with those two tripples.

So a plan begins to form. Repotted the Headband and Violator Kush.

picture.php

There under 24 hr light. Sunlight in the day, lights at night. That way I can put some size on them before the're put in the sun to bud. But with the humidity up here the'll rot before they bud so they'll go down to my partner's house.

I'm sure there is a cross in there too. Just gotta find it.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Gads man, while your planning your winter grow, I'm pulling frost killed vegies out and turning my soil!

I've got 1 good week left for growing MMJ outdoors, and even tho I've been covering that plant, she's suffered some minor frost bite.

DJ Short True Blueberry out in the tomatoes. ;)
picture.php

We are expecting snow next wednesday or thursday, so harvest has to happen this weekend,... I'm thinking of getting a shot of a bud capped with snow as a christmas avatar tho :D

I wasn't trying to rub Rodney in anyones face! If I was gonna do that I'd toss up a bud shot! :pimp3:

Oh, and by the way, you spelled propensity right! ;) :tiphat:

oldhaole

Veteran
Champagne Supernova....Where were you while we were getting high?

Champagne Supernova....Where were you while we were getting high?

Canni....You harvest that bad girl yet?

OH well....Moving day....Part Three is almost done.

Part Four has begun....Nice....An almost virgin thread. Not for long.

For those of you that followed this from the begining, you know how it works. Your only as good as what you have THIS season. Good or bad....Last season never happened. Always start with a clean slate.

I don't like when one log bleeds into the next. This is this, that was that. Keep'em apart. If you gotta mix logs at least it's gotta be on topic.

Like now. There's a plant from Part Three that I need seed from. There I took a chance (do that a lot) and struck gold (that almost never happens). Check this out.

Two weeks ago.

picture.php

Now. Same branch.

picture.php

The whole enchelada. Your looking at a very easy 12 ft.

picture.php

This is an Elephant Ear. Named for it's enormous stage leaves and the way when they get wet and heavy, the leaves droop and fold together showing the light green undersides.

This phenome is rare. Hairs go from all white to all orange. Smell comes next. Heavy spice. Take this early and you just fucked up big time. My partner and I have kept these seeds from the early 80's, breeding it with itself along the way four or five times. That resulted in a large percentage of fags. Only a quater are female. This one is all girl.

This plant came from the jungle. I call it the idiot proof plant. Sprayed twice all season (8 months), she laughs at WPM, rot won't touch her, and catterpillars don't like her. I can and will clone her. It'll take forever, but I want to keep this.

Since I have Rodney pollen I've made that cross. I think this would compliment the Jack Herer with the weak stems. If I can get a Jack male in time I will go that direction too. If not this plant, a clone will do.

Also did the Pure Rodney cross yesterday.

Looking in the seed stash we have a Bloodweed/Black Thai cross...been there done that.

picture.php

And the untried half of the last years crosses. Hash Bud, Kush, and Diesel girls crossed with a Jack Herer male.

I have a couple of the Kush/Jack running in the gulch. There only a foot tall....but this is the first test run of the year.

Today was 11 hrs and 29 minutes long. Now I say goodnight gracie with a sunset....starting to get cold there yet? Flights leave daily.

picture.php

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Respect and mad props on the Elephant Ear! I had assumed it was extinct, thx. for keeping a legendary strain alive! :thank you:

oldhaole

Veteran
Quicker Than a Ray of Light...and I feel like I just got home.

Quicker Than a Ray of Light...and I feel like I just got home.

Start with the easy one first.

Festivus...TYVM. Much as I'd like to claim credit for saving the EE seeds, my partner did that. All I did was get lucky and plant the correct start. Dog Luck.

Chunky...the Thai cross shown was the biggest plant I grew last year. She was a regrow and yielded well over five lbs. The smoke was good, not great. Didn't matter at all. Big scripts there.:thank you:....yea and I can hear you all think "he should have sprung for a decent camera"....:moon:

Part four is in full swing. Am slowly clearing the gulch and replanting as I progress. First hole has two Jack x Kush going, next one has two seeded Rodney plants,

picture.php

And the third has unseeded Rodney waiting for the Jack males.

Down further are both a Headband, and a Violator Kush clone. Wonder what to cross them with?

picture.php

Now that these two are no longer under lights they should go off fast. LSY's Edna, and another cross (NL#5 x Skunk#1) blew into town a couple of days ago. Both are cracking now. Edna's gonna be tough....only three seeds to work with.

At my partner's house we have three more Headband clones ready to take. The area he lives in is not near as humid as here, and he doesn't do a short season grow, so I can use there as a legal overflow. As soon as he pulls these I'll replace them. These will be the start of our personal stash.

picture.php

picture.php

Now a few thoughts about how I seed plants. If you haven't noticed I like to have my cake and eat it too. Pollenate the girl very early, twice, a day apart and later on you have seeds at the base of the bud and the top unseeded. I wait two weeks after the first white hair. Any later the entire plant goes into full seed mode.

Another thing. My partner plants in straight dirt. I use a quarter bag of FFOF per hole, and of course...14-14-14 Osmicote time release ferts once, at planting in ground. Both of us use the same holes the bigger ones were in long season.

C

camoxnhx

looking real nice :) that jack x kush has a beautiful leaf structure on her. good info on how u like to seed your plants. im gonna give it a whirl because eveytime i pollinate some way some how i always get a non sensi crop so thanks for that info. but all in all i love your logs and nothing beats the great outdoors.

have fun be safe
-camo-

oldhaole

Veteran
Weapon and the Wound...Anything is everything to me.

Weapon and the Wound...Anything is everything to me.

An explanation is needed....This is way off topic. But it is my 300th post....maybe they'll let it slide.

A friend asked me to tell her a story here. Every once in a while...usually when I'm going nuts from trimming....I smack the wall. Don't want to see another bud, don't want to be here....gotta get away. Can't go out....so I go in.

And now for something totally different. Let's drift....

At sunset my partner and I sat on the bank and smoked a joint next to the place we had lunch that day.

As sunsets go... this one was ehh...not the best.

We watched the plovers. Seconds after the sun is gone the leader cries, and they gather up to fly back to wherever they sleep. Like you they come from far away. Like you they soon leave. While there here the birds are free to do as they wish. There on vacation.

As the sun sets on the plovers, the bugs come out. Suddenly food is everywhere. But the sun is gone. The plovers know they have to get home...but there's so much food.... darkness is falling and a storm clouds cover the mountain.

Five plovers are chasing food on the grass. Moths are delicious. But there getting antsy. Eat or fly? Food or safety? They all rise as a group in a chorus of cries. They fly as a flock, safety in numbers.
After a moment one peels off and flies back.

He or she will spend the night on the concrete cap. A more dangerous place to sleep. Alone. But dawn is almost as good as dusk. Moths comming back to ground. He will hunt alone at dawn....if he makes it thru the night. The flock will be too late to share the mornings bounty.

The plover on the concrete cap has lived here for three years. He or she won't or can't fly back. He eats well but for half the year he is alone. He lives for winter, when his friends return and fly as a flock for a few short minutes, at sunset.

So there... I gave you a story....It ends however you want it to.

We now return to our regularly scheduled growlog.

Latest posts

Latest posts