What's new

America

Status
Not open for further replies.

St. Phatty

Not sure what is worse. A small group of people sending fan mail, or half the country following David Hogg. Anybody see his fascist solute where he clicked his heals together and saluted?

He's a 17 year old kid who recently saw his class-mates get gunned down, and he is looking for solutions.

Also, he's been lied to his entire life about the true nature of the United States. Been lied to about 9-11, been lied to about the US economy, etc.

Do you REALLY expect him to figure out - at age 17 - what takes most people 40, 50, or 60 years ?

I expect him to worry about mass shootings, and do other 17 year old stuff like chasing 15, 16, & 17 year old girls.

My guess is, his national profile will be great for his love life.

I place fault with the Nation that is unable to conjure the simple honesty required to give him a safe school - without turning it into a debate about semi-auto's.

Of course, GOT TO RELAX, and forget about the termite's eating at America's heart & Conscience ...
http://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2018/mct/2671/rip-curl-pro-bells-beach/results

It's Easter in Australia and there's a high quality webcast of the Men's & Women's Major Leagues (of surfing). Mick Fanning's last contest. Just watching him, I go DAMN, he has a physical presence that reminds me of Schwarzenegger.

Hope he goes into movies, nothing wrong with super-heroes with an Aussie accident, who are also world-record beer-drinkers.

M

moose eater

Good stuff, Phatty.

I think it goes way beyond this gun or that gun. It's a question of core values and social hypocrisy. Guns make it easy, but the fact remains that there've been countries that had prolific presence of weapons, sometimes military-grade as a matter of formal militia membership, where such insanity as massive school or group-gathering shootings haven't been so frequent.

In that regard, and acknowledging these kids have a right to be angry, scared, or what ever, I'd assert it's not about the guns, per se'. They are tools that make it easier in some ways.

It's about our values. About being a Country that preaches peace, but sends aircraft carriers frequently when there's an International disruption. Who sends cops dressed like Special Forces to raid pot growers or others for minor offenses, and who murder civilians and get repeated immunity and/or acquittal from a gullible, conditioned-to live-in-fear public, who often view such uniformed gangsters as the lesser evil, when sometimes it's not the case.

As a person who acknowledges holding mixed feelings and experiences toward violence, we cannot have it both ways. We cannot worship power and force, while crossing our fingers behind our backs and saying, "Give peace a chance." We're somewhat schizophrenic as a society in that regard, and it's literally costing lives at home more and more now. it's cost lives over-seas for decades...

And yeah, America sits and watches sit-coms and sporting events, rather than going to their legislators' offices and getting in their faces, or doing what the Italians & others have done, shutting the whole thing down with a general strike, leaving their automobiles on the highway in helping to clog up the works for those who really profit from all of this nonsense..

And we're often confused enough to hate on those whose intent is or was to help us. Even if sometimes they may be misguided. And even when they're NOT misguided.

'Animal Farm.'

geneva_sativa

He's a 17 year old kid who recently saw his class-mates get gunned down, and he is looking for solutions.

Also, he's been lied to his entire life about the true nature of the United States. Been lied to about 9-11, been lied to about the US economy, etc.

Do you REALLY expect him to figure out - at age 17 - what takes most people 40, 50, or 60 years ?

I expect him to worry about mass shootings, and do other 17 year old stuff like chasing 15, 16, & 17 year old girls.

I place fault with the Nation that is unable to conjure the simple honesty required to give him a safe school - without turning it into a debate about semi-auto's.

Of course, GOT TO RELAX, and forget about the termite's eating at America's heart & Conscience ...
https://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2018/mct/2671/rip-curl-pro-bells-beach/results

It's Easter in Australia and there's a high quality webcast of the Men's & Women's Major Leagues (of surfing). Mick Fanning's last contest. Just watching him, I go DAMN, he has a physical presence that reminds me of Schwarzenegger.

Hope he goes into movies, nothing wrong with super-heroes with an Aussie accident, who are also world-record beer-drinkers.

Nobody gets that much face time, accolades, and platforms, by chance

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Active as a teenager in the 1960's, I saw innumerable articulate, intelligent, young, very young, folks stand up in front of huge crowds and give spontaneous rousing speeches.
All it took was for the media to point the cameras in the correct direction.

Pointing the cameras at the students that managed to escape being murdered found several out of the hundreds that are good speakers and not shy.
Intelligent as well, although intelligence gets a boost from adrenaline. It will take weeks, or even months, to get their systems back in balance, watching friends die horribly in pools of blood causes trauma far beyond the 'buck up' stage.
Anger holds fear in check, as well as putting off emotions that cannot be dealt with.

Not 'chance', any more than life itself is 'chance', all schools have students like these mixed in. Stepping up to the challenge is why humans own the earth.

Easy7

Veteran
I was unaware that black power hand gestures were akin to the Nazi's. Thanks for clearing that up easygoing.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I was unaware that black power hand gestures were akin to the Nazi's. Thanks for clearing that up easygoing.

"Right On"

Humans are big on hand gestures, but with only two arms it is hard to be original after a few thousand years.

Martial arts, salutes, drinking tea, it all comes down to where is the pinkie?
Curled for 'Right On' and/or 'Black Power'
straight for 'Nazi'
angled out for 'Earl Grey'
tight against palm along with ring finger and index finger for 'you cut me off'

Not that I am ridiculing any heartfelt anger going on, I cannot help being amused by responses. Deliberate or not.

Easy7

Veteran
I find traditionalist afraid of many things. Fear didn't make anyone better. Fear is stupidity. We all must evolve into a loving awareness, because awareness is fears enemy.

geneva_sativa

The Big Bad Wolf coming out strong in media against Little Red Righteous Hood. . . you cant make this shit up.

oh, wait. . . . sure they can

Easy7

Veteran
Been going on for ages. Shock the ratings.

The media was not so nice to youth in the 60s either. They rarely are nice to youth.

CaptainDankness

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2018/mct/2671/rip-curl-pro-bells-beach/results

My only problem with David Hogg is where are the other 300-400 kids that where actually in the building?? Mr. Hogg was not even in the building during the shooting.

He is a mouthpiece nothing more. A propaganda peddler, one unfortunate fact of the first amendment he has the freedom to spew that propaganda. He's obviously being paid as well none of the other 300-400 kids in the school are given such attention, I wonder why??

The right has been saying Muslim terrorists were dangerous, the left says only a few Muslims are dangerous. That's true, but then the left says gun owners are dangerous meanwhile the right is like "we live in a country of at least 80,000,000 gun owners they obviously ain't all dangerous" well that's definitely true. In fact guns actually save lives, meanwhile Muslims may save souls, if such a thing exists.

Certainly you are more likely to die in a Muslim terrorist attack than a school shooting, so why can't I own a gun? I don't plan on killing nobody who doesn't have it coming and that day may never come. Of course if it does, I will be justified unlike the Muslim terrorist.

EasyGoing

You are showing your ignorance....... Did you not pick up on the heal click? Do you not know your history? Your sentence proved you don't. Once again, sad.

Seriously, how old are you Easy7? Mid 20's at best?

EasyGoing

Everything you said, makes it even more terrible the media has grabbed a hold of this kid for their personal agenda. Everything you said, also is an argument for keeping the guns in the peoples hands. :tiphat:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Like they have no right. How dare they. Ted appears to have been oblivious to the student activism that was going on around him in the 60's, so it's not a big surprise he's the mushy brained soulless ignorant dangerous and stupid tool he accuses the kids of being. Here it's like well they just haven't had time to be fed enough god and country and memes and videos and conspiracy theories yet. Yeah people change like that, just like everyone who was anti-integration back in the day loves blacks now, right? If you weren't politically aware and pissed off and not entirely shy of the spotlight at that age, don't blame them.

Easy7

Veteran
You are showing your ignorance....... Did you not pick up on the heal click? Do you not know your history? Your sentence proved you don't. Once again, sad.

Seriously, how old are you Easy7? Mid 20's at best?

I'm 36 and know better than to equate a mass shooting victim to your propaganda based on irrational paranoia.

These kids have nothing to do with Nazi's, anymore than your combat boot wearing mother.

:thank you:

St. Phatty

Everything you said, makes it even more terrible the media has grabbed a hold of this kid for their personal agenda. Everything you said, also is an argument for keeping the guns in the peoples hands. :tiphat:

Not sure the surfing, e.g. Woman Surfer Kobey Enright throwing me a head-fake and surfing like Jordy Smith (one of the most powerful man surfers) ties into the debate ... but I do worry about the softness of pro surfing events. Very little security.

As far as the need to give the general public access to the same weapons the police have,
https://rutherford.org/publications...eally_want_to_save_lives_take_aim_at_governme

I've seen various lists of police brutality incidents. I save every article I read, usually 1 or 2 a day, though not all of them download correctly.

The Rutherford Institute article has a Good Enough list.

Americans are being treated the way Israel treats the Palestinians - government employees shooting people in the back is AOK, and it's a regular practice. (I'm not saying it's AOK, I'm describing the obvious working policy in place.)

>> keeping the guns in the peoples hands.

Agreed, including semi-auto rifles.

EasyGoing

I'm 36 and know better than to equate a mass shooting victim to your propaganda based on irrational paranoia.

These kids have nothing to do with Nazi's, anymore than your combat boot wearing mother.

:thank you:
I guess you just act immature as you can't defend even your post before last. Instead, you insult my mom.

You are still ignoring his Nazi like salute...... The call to take guns...... Nazi like approach to prop up the kids.........

Just keep burying your head in the sand, and insulting people's mothers. That helps. :tiphat:

CaptainDankness

Not sure the surfing, e.g. Woman Surfer Kobey Enright throwing me a head-fake and surfing like Jordy Smith (one of the most powerful man surfers) ties into the debate ... but I do worry about the softness of pro surfing events. Very little security.

As far as the need to give the general public access to the same weapons the police have,
https://rutherford.org/publications...eally_want_to_save_lives_take_aim_at_governme

I've seen various lists of police brutality incidents. I save every article I read, usually 1 or 2 a day, though not all of them download correctly.

The Rutherford Institute article has a Good Enough list.

Americans are being treated the way Israel treats the Palestinians - government employees shooting people in the back is AOK, and it's a regular practice. (I'm not saying it's AOK, I'm describing the obvious working policy in place.)

>> keeping the guns in the peoples hands.

Agreed, including semi-auto rifles.

Yeah, our police are fucked, I'm more worried about getting killed by police than a Muslim terrorist. Lol, definitely a better chance of being killed by a cop and that was before Trump started calling "death to drug dealers".

Getting to the point where I don't know if I should surrender or just start shooting at the cops. Just so many people getting killed for no reason, this one guy had a 911 prank call on him over a fucking video game and it was even the wrong guy, dude got shot down right in his front doorway unarmed in front of his wife and kids!! Of course the cops didn't get in any trouble.

Then this kid who got shot 4 times in the back running away, that I know the family of, they finally release some video and audio said " he put his hand in his pocket and said he had a gun then ran" of course the audio was nothing but " Police stop stop!! Bang bang bang bang" the video was just the cop behind him with his lights on. Of course, he was a felon for selling a little bit of drugs, really there was more about making the kid look like a piece of shit than the murder, in the attorney general's report.

Shits getting crazy, I don't even think surrender is a good option anymore, better off dieing fighting. Of course, that's probably why the media pushes for gun control so hard, because there will come a time when we start gunning down cops like it's the 1920's all over again. :shooty:

Status
Not open for further replies.