What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Amended with Mycorrhizae VS Not

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Use "Roots Excelurator" by House and Garden, kills root rot and enhances root growth! Expensive but potent at 5ml/5gal's! Use it and watch it work.:blowbubbles:

I have been using that since the girls were babies. 1 ml a gallon. It has proven useful in the past but whatever is hurting my roots is not being helped enough by the Roots Excel. Thanks for the tip though, its good stuff.

SKAGITMAGIC

My Findings from the Mycorrhizae amendments

My Findings from the Mycorrhizae amendments

Since I started amending my soils with this I can't fit but half the number of plants in my cloneing closet, it seems the're about 2 weeks ahead of themselves and would recommend this to anyone growing with soil, bottom line is my plants are bigger and healthier!! The one I did the LST stuff today is a C99 and the other one is Dutch Treat, I'll tye her down when I put them out on main floor.Not enough room to do them both. I don't know anything about any of the hydro stuff. Good Luck

Attachments

• P1090137.JPG
    P1090137.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 42
  • P1090129.JPG
    P1090129.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P1090141.JPG
    P1090141.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 41

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good man I will keep amending then when I do organic grows. It sure as hell doesn't hurt anything I know that...

BTW I use Plant Success at 1/4 cup per 100 litres of soil. I add in addition to whats already in my promix. Been using it for 9~ months and I don't know if it makes things better but shit sure as hell looks good to me.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had to pop in and say it makes me damn proud to see a good ole fashion meeting of the minds in this thread so far.

The simple idea of what might work for one might not the other is key in any discussion.

I myself swear by Hygrozyme. I'm old I got kids and I need a regime that meets my needs, Quick Fast and Easy kinda like mercy sex from the wife. :)

Keep It Up And Ty
Mr.Wags

Hey mrwags modman..shouldn't this thread be in another forum? Not that it isn't a great "discussion" but this is a side by side comparison forum not a let's discuss the benefits of such and such.

Thanks.

PEACE.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey mrwags modman..shouldn't this thread be in another forum? Not that it isn't a great "discussion" but this is a side by side comparison forum not a let's discuss the benefits of such and such.

Thanks.

PEACE.

You do bring up a good point BUT I would leave that decision up to SKAGITMAGIC for it is his thread.

To me what I've read was a discussion in the use of said additive as stated in the thread title. The idea of having SKAGITMAGIC do this or anyone else for that matter without input will in time lead to an unfinished thread due to lack of participation. There are a few in here already that got started and never finished so maybe just maybe I'm right.?

To me the idea of a side by side could be done simply with pictures if you wanted to. Put up or shut up so to speak. I've found it pretty easy over the years to get trolls to leave my threads alone by simply posting up a nice pic or 2 or 3 and say "this is what I get how about you?" and then they usually go away :)

I love the hell out of the side by side idea all we gotta do is get more involved but we must also get the right folks to do it for the community's sake.

I WILL find a way to get some of the ole timers in here whether I gotta beg plead or out right bribe them like I have done in other forums I Mod.

Your objection is noted but like always feel it's best for the Original Poster to decide on this one.

Be Well
Mr.Wags

SKAGITMAGIC

I couldn't understand smokestacks motive, oh well, I've got to mention this incredible bluish tint the girl in the red pot has, I've got it going, the inoculated plants are just flourishing, I had to remove the doors on my veg closet and bring this plant outside, it outgrew the closet and my flowering room still has my BLZ and Dutch Treat finishing for at least another week. I'll hit everything with FORBID real good and bring them back in. The plant in the blue pot has been getting severe LST, but it still lacking that healthy color the other one has. I will continue amending with this stuff, thank you for all you replies.

Attachments

• P1090209.JPG
    P1090209.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 40

spurr

Veteran
@ SKAGITMAGIC and others,

If you want to get your media and roots tested for AM fungi (spores and extraradical mycelium; as well as arbuscule inside root tissue) you can send in samples to get tested at labs; for as little as ~$35-40.

Here are two good places, I would possibly suggest the first one over the second:

1. BBC Laboratories, Inc. (Tempe, AZ, U.S.A.): http://www.bbclabs.com/ [this URL is dead, I hope they didn't go out of business!]

2. SFI (Soil Foodweb International) in Oregon, U.S.A.: http://oregonfoodweb.com/testing.html

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
OK so I read this thread twice. Did you have any definitive results?

SKAGITMAGIC

OK so I read this thread twice. Did you have any definitive results?

I think that will happen when I weigh up the yield per plant when these girls finish out, Hey, funny your on here!, about my garden gnome, it's actually a pipe, a friend made me it in the late 70s. anyway, hopefully these girls stay bug free,

Attachments

• P1090253.JPG
    P1090253.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 41

growbie1

I'm old I got kids and I need a regime that meets my needs, Quick Fast and Easy kinda like mercy sex from the wife. :)
Keep It Up And Ty
Mr.Wags

Sry to spam this marvelous thread with lots of great info
(thx for that:tiphat:)
But had to say:
I feel you :laughing:

SKAGITMAGIC

The plant on the right was grown in the mycoos medium and the other wasn't.

Attachments

• P1090332.JPG
    P1090332.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P1090333.JPG
    P1090333.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 40
A friend uses it with outdoor grow, it has doubled the size of the girls compared to the last 5grows outdoors. The main stem is the size of a adult little finger round at 40 days from seed,about two ft tall. Best looking outdoor I have seen from seed in this area near Washington dc. Lemon haze and big bud ww cross great germ 100 percent with a couple wimps.overall excellent yeild.

gmanwho

Veteran
I use hydroton. I run top drip in veg, an transfer to an ebb an gro setup at flower. For almost 2 years now i have been using a Mycorrhzae an EWC tea bag in my reservoir. I Have seen great results an increased yields. One of the many noticeable area's is in veg, my roots have become very furry an bone white . I change it every 30 so days. the strainer bag contains basically 1 cup ewc an 2-3 tbsp of granular Mycorrhzae.

I once used Rhizotonic, which is a wonderful product, roots go crazy with it. Plants respond quickier. Since i started using the tea bags, i do not use rhizotonic, which is great since its a 100+ a liter.

EWC an Mycorrhzae tea bags in hydro has been a positive advancement in my garden. Cheap an very effective.

In my soil moms i amend with Mycorrhzae, when i come back to the soil mixture a few days later an turn the soil. I can witness the clumping action of the soil, the Mycorrhzae has created a rhizosphere. Good stuff, if i have a choice i WILL NEVER STOP USING that combo. Soil COCO or hydro.... Be well everyone..

spurr

Veteran
In my soil moms i amend with Mycorrhzae, when i come back to the soil mixture a few days later an turn the soil. I can witness the clumping action of the soil, the Mycorrhzae has created a rhizosphere.

That is pretty much an impossiblity, sorry to say. While other fungi may be causing the clumping, or even possibly some bacteria/archaea, it's not from AM fungi. Freeze dried AM fungi spores (in all but exotic cases) need to be in close proximity to host roots to germinate, and once they do it takes time, longer than a few days, for extraradical mycelia to clump bulk media.

One other thing, you wrote "Mycorrhzae has created a rhizosphere", however, AM fungi do not create a rhisozphere. A rhziosphere is a very thin area (of liquid) surrounding the roots of plants. AM fungi make what is called a "mycosphere" in what is termed "bulk media" with what is called the AM fungi "extraradical mycelium/mycelia".

:tiphat:

Ember1

Thanks for chiming in Spurr. Are you a microbiologist by chance?

So what is in a root accelerator if you happen to know? Is this also affected by pH/nutes?

gmanwho

Veteran
That is pretty much an impossiblity, sorry to say. While other fungi may be causing the clumping, or even possibly some bacteria/archaea, it's not from AM fungi. Freeze dried AM fungi spores (in all but exotic cases) need to be in close proximity to host roots to germinate, and once they do it takes time, longer than a few days, for extraradical mycelia to clump bulk media.

One other thing, you wrote "Mycorrhzae has created a rhizosphere", however, AM fungi do not create a rhisozphere. A rhziosphere is a very thin area (of liquid) surrounding the roots of plants. AM fungi make what is called a "mycosphere" in what is termed "bulk media" with what is called the AM fungi "extraradical mycelium/mycelia".

:tiphat:

Didnt this thread say mycorhaze, an u bring specific am fungi is not this or that. i may have used rhizospere in the wrong context as it pretains to around the root area. wow, what a prick ass.

spurr

Veteran
Within the context of this thread, "mycorrhizae" (i.e, endomycorrhizae) is AM fungi. Granted, there are other types of endomycorrhizal fungi besides AM fungi, but AM fungi are the workhorses, and other endomycorrzhial fungi act in very similar ways to AM fungi. Thus, AM fungi are the focus of this thread. AM fungi comprise most of the endomycorrhizal fungi found in mycorrhizae fungi products (those products also often contain ectomycorrhizal fungi, but this thread is about endomycorrhizal fungi, e.g., AM fungi).

I was not being a "prick ass", I was merely posting facts.

spurr

Veteran
Thanks for chiming in Spurr. Are you a microbiologist by chance?

You're welcome. And nope, but I play one on T.V. ;). I do not have a degree in microbiology, I am pretty-much self taught at this stage, like my brother-from-another-mother, MicrobeMan.

So what is in a root accelerator if you happen to know? Is this also affected by pH/nutes?

From Home and Garden? IIRC, it's conventional fertilizers and probably (some) plant growth regulators to induce root growth, such as IBA and/or NAA.