What's new

Am I the only one from Colorado that doesn't want a pot tourism industry?

Greenheart

Veteran
I live in a tourist area myself. They stop and ask directions frequently but the only real problem I have with them is trash they throw everywhere. Nothing ruins a day at the scene than a bunch of trash scattered about.

paper thorn

Veteran
Too bad, a coffeshop/farmer's market would rock. would be a good biz to operate.
Without such allowed, is there and can there be any real 'pot tourism'?

monsoon

The laws here weren't passed for pot tourism, they were passed so the citizens here could grow and smoke and buy pot, if needed, legally. Everyone else is just tryin to jump on the bandwagon and make it all something it was never intended to be.

Funny how folks expect it all to go from "illegal" to "anything goes" in one fell swoop.

I don't think the majority of folks here who voted for these laws want a bunch of people coming here solely to smoke pot or want to create a Amsterdam-like scene here. Most simply want access to weed and the freedom to grow and use in the privacy of their home or by the campfire on a weekend campout without fear of prosecution. Folks can still come here and buy pot while on vacation, or, as we did every time we packed to head for the mountains from the 70's til we moved here, simply bring your own pot with you. (aka.."pot tourism").

Or is this all about being "seen" in some sort of "scene"? I don't get it.

RedBeardy5

Its about a life style that exist nowhere but Colorado. You have to be kidding to think the legalization has nothing to do with tourism. It has everything to do with politics and making money. Its like when I go to Florida and they hate tourists but guess what, the tourist are stimulating the economy in a otherwise depressing poor town.

monsoon

Living here is like living anywhere else. There's no cannabis "lifestyle", no pot growing in people's front yards/etc., no one smoking in the bar or on the sidewalk/etc. If you didn't know the laws had changed you'd never see/know anything was different- mostly because it isn't.

Either way - IF the retail model happens it seems like a long way to travel to buy an 1/8 ounce to smoke as you hold up/hide away in your hotel bathroom under the vent fan, but hey, if that's what people think this is all about and want to spend a buncha cash to come here to smoke a few nugs, more power to them. We'll certainly be glad to take their $$$!!!

Just the fact that these new laws aren't going to allow coffeeshops/cafe's/etc. shows well that this law isn't about providing weed to tourists. However, they will come, and when they do it's gonna be a Hell of a revenue stream (for the court system) from those folks who think passing such laws creates some sort of tolerance or allows them to come here and act any differently (flaunt their use/etc.) than they act about weed in their non-legal state. I live in a tourist town and the cops are always tossing folks in jail for possession because someone was walking up Main Street smoking a joint, all the while believing that because they were on vacation, there certainly can't be any laws in a vacation-type town. Right? OOOpps.
Wrong.

Hopefully the whole retail model will be stopped before it starts. As long as we can grow/possess in our homes we don't need a retail system here.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Living here is like living anywhere else. There's no cannabis "lifestyle", no pot growing in people's front yards/etc., no one smoking in the bar or on the sidewalk/etc. If you didn't know the laws had changed you'd never see/know anything was different- mostly because it isn't.

Either way - IF the retail model happens it seems like a long way to travel to buy an 1/8 ounce to smoke as you hold up/hide away in your hotel bathroom under the vent fan, but hey, if that's what people think this is all about and want to spend a buncha cash to come here to smoke a few nugs, more power to them. We'll certainly be glad to take their $$$!!!

Just the fact that these new laws aren't going to allow coffeeshops/cafe's/etc. shows well that this law isn't about providing weed to tourists. However, they will come, and when they do it's gonna be a Hell of a revenue stream (for the court system) from those folks who think passing such laws creates some sort of tolerance or allows them to come here and act any differently (flaunt their use/etc.) than they act about weed in their non-legal state. I live in a tourist town and the cops are always tossing folks in jail for possession because someone was walking up Main Street smoking a joint, all the while believing that because they were on vacation, there certainly can't be any laws in a vacation-type town. Right? OOOpps.
Wrong.

Hopefully the whole retail model will be stopped before it starts. As long as we can grow/possess in our homes we don't need a retail system here.

Well, yeh, except that not everybody is in a position where they can grow, so they need to get their MJ from somewhere- somewhere legal.

Otherwise, most of the elements of the black market are maintained.

Tourists buying & exporting small quantities is inevitable. It's not like that will significantly alter the supply in the rest of the country.

RedBeardy5

Well I doubt it will ever be legal to smoke in public and I have no problem with that. I am a outdoors person living in Chicago, and hate the city with a passion. I know the pot industry is flooded but I love growing for myself.

P

Puscifer

Wrong.

You seem to have a feather up your ass for some reason. If you don't want to walk into a retail store and buy herb THEN FUCKIN DON"T!
My partner was in Colorado this past 420 and NOBODY within his sight got arrested for burning outside.
Your legislators are the ones setting up the retail system, NOT the tourists. I have an idea, move down here to Florida where you can get a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years for 25 or more plants. Or were you'll spend the night in jail if the find a zip in your pocket.
Don't like tourists? Don't go outside then. You think tourists are bad there? Come to Disney and see just how bad it gets. Jeez man, don't piss on everyones parade.:ying:

monsoon

Jhnnnnn..... if someone can't find pot here in this day and age without walking into a store, they aren't trying! Heck, look me up. It's legal to gift less than an oz now and I've helped out more than one errant tourist in such a fashion. You can bet we'll be doing a lot more of that if they open these shops!

puss... stop whining about how bad you have it in Florida and acting like we were GIVEN these laws here in Colorado. We had harsh laws for cultivation before all of this as well but we didn't sit on our ass and whine how bad we had it or expect someone else in another state to set up a system that benefits us more than we were willing to work to benefit ourselves. Holy crap. Are you being active in the pro-legalization movement down there I KNOW is under the surface as many of us did here for YEARS to get these laws passed...or do you just walk around whining about how bad you have it like you did here? If yer an ADULT...either move to a friendlier state or do something to change things! Is that so hard?

All we hear about in these types of threads are folks whining about how bad they have it and how we have no clue here in Colorado how tough it is where they are (wahhhhhh) when many of us here were growing under the same kind of laws for years, got SICK OF IT, and CHANGED THOSE LAWS. We sure didn't sit and whine from 1996-2000 that California's laws were more lax than ours and ask when they were gonna set it up so we could have easy access to their game... uuuuhummm.... Get real. Stop whining. You have what you have because you haven't done anything to change it.

Time will tell if the FEDS let the parade get going here at all. If it happens, great. Good for you and for everyone else who may come here specifically for such purchases. I'm sure the retailers will be glad to charge you STREET prices for schwag weed and the 35%+ tax on top of that as admission for "attending the parade".

In the end, I'm not against tourists. (and this isn't about tourists) I'm against giving the pot business to the government and the corporations who >will< eventually take over and run this show if we allow it to happen at all.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I will take potheads over drunks any day of the week!!!! Pot tourism has always been in your town you just don't know anything about it! Wondering why you would make a post such as this on a cannabis board? lol ....Not to worry they will stop the cannabis farming and start fracking instead ... headband 707

monsoon

LOFL... locals from afar, gotta love it. And why post such a thing on a pot forum? Just wanting the OP to know they aren't alone in their disdain of the BS proposed retail model in a thread on that very topic. Duh.

WindSnob

Wrong.

been going to Co for over 40 years backpacking and skiing didn't know I was so disliked. Most of the locals were very cool and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I have news for you, there is rampant use on federal lands! in fact the first tme I smoked pot was backpacking some where around the Sand Dunes. ( god bless COLO)
Since the first time back in 1972 I don't remember a trip when there was no cannabis consumed. As far as discreet use goes I was amazed at the open use on ski lifts the first few trips and that was 20 years ago.
But I think I can enlighten you a little bit,its all about freedom, If I choose to indulge or not I will always choose to spend my "tourist bucks" in a state that supports my FREEDOM to make that choice!
Its about having the right to personal use, regardless of whether you think that right should be afforded to non residents or not.
I'm heading to Pagosa Springs in Feb. I'm a little disappointed to find out Durango isn't allowing rec sales yet. But I'll just bring my own. I Love Wolf
btw anyone know if there are any head shops in Pagosa Springs?

WindSnob

Jhnnnnn..... if someone can't find pot here in this day and age without walking into a store, they aren't trying! Heck, look me up. It's legal to gift less than an oz now and I've helped out more than one errant tourist in such a fashion. You can bet we'll be doing a lot more of that if they open these shops!

And god bless Monsoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats what i'm talking about locals always willing to help out a brother!

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Ide drive to and from Colorado just to score some elite clone onlys that we dont have in New England. I wouldnt make the trip just to smoke.
There are probably more smokers here in NE, than anywhere in the world.
Thats because New England sucks to live in, but the mountains are ripe for guerrilla grows. :biggrin:

atk7

As a colorado native I think the rec industry will be a good thing for Colo and the nation and I hope the end of the prohibition spreads through the entire country. it is a huge first step in ending the persecution of the everyman and will help reduce the insane amount of tax dollars spent prosecuting and incarcerating people that are not doing any harm to society as a whole other than having to use the black market only because a legal market doesn't exist. Yes as with anything there will be some problems but most of those are minor compared to the issues that happen in a completely underground market . The ganj is available in every state now anyway so let's just bring it above board . Growing pains will exist (pun intended) but they too will pass. Here's to a happy and prosperous New year in2014

paint4420

Ive lived in colorado for 5 years and NY for way to damn long. the comparison is unreal In quality price and market. Having been to amsterdam and seeing the success of the arts and of the individual buissness' catering to the tourism. I feel like this could be beneficial as a whole to the city and state and eventually the rest of the U.S.

What we have to do is grit our teeth and work through the jungle of laws and redtape till eventually the market equilizes with the regulations and social acceptance of the liquer wine and beer Industry

RoadRash

You step on my land and you have freedom. I step on your land and I live in fear. This is the simple minded approach, but regardless of that Colorado is better off without more people. It's not always about money.

I can understand where Nacho is coming from.

Look at Pipeline in Hawaii. It's as much about street-fighting skills as it is surfing/ tube-riding skills. One place that perhaps has not benefited from tourism.

On the Other Hand - I was just looking up the cost of a round-trip to Colorado for some spring skiing.

On the Other Hand - a friend of mine's son was killed by a hit-and-run at a ski-area. People skiing while wildly stoned is not necessarily a winner.

On the Other Hand - when I was younger we used to smoke at Killington in Vermont and love the ride down.

No easy answers, perhaps. Though personally I admire Colorado for pulling this off. I'm wondering if it will also go well for Washington.

atk7

It's funny no one bats an eye about the ski areas selling , serving and ENCOURAGING the use of alcohol on federal lands. Endangering everyone on the slopes and on the roads . Apres ski is so chic. LOL I have been endangered more by hose folks way more than the folks coming out of the trees. Most of the latter group are just dangerous because of thier age group, younger most often and more apt to take risks and not think things through because of thier lack of experience rather than being impaired by alcohol or weed. Been in the tourist areas for my entire life yes they are a pain at times but they are a blessing also as they help create our jobs build our roads and teach our kids . Some of the nice things we enjoy here wouldn't be accessible or available without them .