What's new

Am I the only one from Colorado that doesn't want a pot tourism industry?

You step on my land and you have freedom. I step on your land and I live in fear. This is the simple minded approach, but regardless of that Colorado is better off without more people. It's not always about money.

paperchaser825

Can't think of one bad thing from "Pot Tourism" if you mean people taking road trips and/or planes to your state, spending LOTS of money (the pot is the investment, but then munchies kick in, room and board...you get the idea), then leaving while taking no business away or creating any unrest (read crime). Just my 2c.

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
Ya sounds like all win and no loss to me. Better then some rock band coming in and the drunken fans burning the city down. I will take the tokers any day.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tourism on a large scale kills nice areas. I was born and raised in an area of California that had a handful of very small mountain towns and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. It has since been overrun and developed to the point that 95% of the people that I grew up with have moved on.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
I'm happy to see it, but a lot of folks have the attitude of " I'm already here, shut the door". The truth is most areas of Colorado, and the country for that matter, could use the help.

G

greenmatter

would i like it if colorado was like it was back in the 70's ???? oh hell yes i would !!!!

can anyone who was not here back then even understand how bad "progress" has trashed the place ??? not fucking likely !!!!

if there is money to be made at any cost will these trends continue ????? of course they will !!!!

"call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye" the Eagles

S

Sat X RB

Can't think of one bad thing from "Pot Tourism" if you mean people taking road trips and/or planes to your state, spending LOTS of money (the pot is the investment, but then munchies kick in, room and board...you get the idea), then leaving while taking no business away or creating any unrest (read crime). Just my 2c.

Nimbin in Australia has an annual Mardi Grass. it's just like paperchaser says above. there is a LOT of cannabis information exchange also. so from that point of view the Mardi Grass is an important event.

lots of the locals hate the Mardi Grass for making their town uncivilised for a while. so do the Police who are there in large numbers.

no matter where we live we're not going to escape from people. haven't you noticed there's a population explosion happening?! we have to change and adjust. (altho if you can find a place to live like a hermit that's good too.)

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's not like pot tourism killed Amsterdam or despoiled the countryside, either.

What's changed Colorado more than anything else is the ski industry & influx of business to the front range, along with gentrification of parts of the high country with summer homes.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's changed Colorado more than anything else is the ski industry & influx of business to the front range, along with gentrification of parts of the high country with summer homes.

This is what a tourism-based economy brings. Minimum wage jobs and a boom construction period resulting in a vastly changed area from what originally attracted people to it, and the people who work there ultimately being unable to afford to live there.

It's like a sugar diet - manic activity followed by a slow death from malnutrition.

monsoon

I share your disdain and concern, nacho.

However, the new laws aren't going to permit much "tourism" beyond making a expensive and highly-taxed purchase in a State-sanctioned store. (and No Smoking is allowed in these stores) "Coffeeshops" and "Pot Clubs" aren't going to be allowed here. Delivery services are also illegal. There's no pot (or cigarette) smoking allowed in bars or public places or in most hotel rooms across the State, and as it has always been, it's still illegal to smoke on Federal land (ski area or National forest) and it's illegal to smoke and/or be high while skiing. Ooops. Ooops. Ooops and Ooops.

Gonna be a GREAT revenue source for the police though because folks will come here thinking "it's legal" and will let their guard down, only to find out the hard way that there are wide parameters to that "legality".

It's funny to see how folks on the outside are viewing this as some sort of pot "scene" when the basis of the law is that pot is not to be "seen" whatsoever in a public scenario.

Seems kinda weird that folks would travel here to buy a 1/4 z for street prices or more and then have to hide to smoke it like they do wherever it is they hail from, but hey, whatever!
We're always glad to take your tourist dollars here. LOL.

J

JimmyRow

The more tax revenue generated the quicker its gonna spread to the rest of the nation.

Its nostalgia, Ive paid big bucks to travel to Amsterdam and Vancouver just to smoke overpriced pot. I like to get out of town w/o traveling w/ tons of weed, and know I can get stoned as soon as I land and not do some shady transaction in golden gate park and cross your fingers you don't get burnt out pinched. And a $75 1/4 could easily turn into a $100 out the door after tax.

Sunnyvale

What really sucks is I am in the process of moving to Colorado for a healthcare job...and it drug tests...That's where the progress needs to be made. Dr's are still showing up to work drunk but if I smoke a joint over the weekend I'm fired:fsu:

G

greenmatter

The more tax revenue generated the quicker its gonna spread to the rest of the nation.

it would be nice if the people doing the taxmath would consider the FUCKING FACT that chasing stoners around costs a shit ton more than leaving them the fuck alone. if you bother to consider that money saved is money earned the whole legalization thing just makes sense

which of course is the reason that it is still illegal :tiphat:

accountants and politicians don't really talk to each other much it would seem ......... :biggrin:

monsoon

My 2 trips to Amsterdam were fun as Hell but Colorado's law isn't mirroring that model whatsoever. We may get there someday but this move forward obviously wasn't it. Call it naysaying if you want, but the reality of it all, as we saw with the med laws, is that from here on out the laws and the changes we will see in the future will depend on how folks act with the limited freedoms they have been offered to date.

And the FED hasn't weighed in yet, so any and all of this could be moot @ any point.

Latest posts

Latest posts