What's new

Am I being realistic with this idea (Pics)

HammerStrength

Hello, Iam on a mission to grow and have buds to be able to smoke (bad or good) by this Christmas. But see I have a small problem. My closet is the only place I can put my setup in. Iam looking for the following:

1: Reasonably small box.

2: Easiest/Fastest seeds to grow. Im sure there are types of seeds out there that are very easy to grow, n00b friendly. Something that grows fast.

3: Price is another issue, there is no way i can spend more than 200 dollars. I need to be able to make this box with that much money, and iam not really into building a box from scratch. Maybe premade box or something that can subsitute for a box.

4: Grow lights, I see some lights alone cost more than 200 dollars, is this true ? Arent there cheaper lights I can use ? Iam not going to grow full scale.

PS: Iam not looking for huge yields, I dont smoke much so ill be happy with whatever grows

EDIT:

I just found this old speaker box, its pretty huge standing 3 and a half feet tall and pretty wide. I was thinking about taking out the insides and making it my first grow box. Do you think its possible to use this or should i keep looking for something else. BTW im gonna be using lowryder seeds.

speakgrowvu5.jpg

teddybud

spreadin da love
Veteran
I would think it would be possible as long as you put a door or something in it.. seems like it'd be a hard box to access. this is what i did for my micro grow.. plants got to big cause I didn't know about the netting and lst methods.. but it would still work. and my closet is relatively small also

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Heres my closet grow with floros, check out my thread for more info.

HammerStrength

teddybud said:
I would think it would be possible as long as you put a door or something in it.. seems like it'd be a hard box to access. this is what i did for my micro grow.. plants got to big cause I didn't know about the netting and lst methods.. but it would still work. and my closet is relatively small also

Deft said:
Heres my closet grow with floros, check out my thread for more info.

Thats amazing, being able to grow like that makes me wanna start right away. How about the lights, what type of lights are you guys using and how much did it cost you. thx

G

HS

Get yourself a small collection of spiral cfl's for lighting. Go with a combination of cool white and warm white for full spectrum lighting. They are relatively cheap and last a long time.

Hey, POMH........why are you sad??

Bh

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I spent like 25$ on the 3 CFLs, The little one on the bottom is one I just had hanging around not doing anything. I was gifted the seeds from another member and I salvaged the pots from where I worked (nursery), the soil is farfad potting soil which I got for I think 6$, the timer was like 3$, and I had two of the reflectors laying around the basement the 3rd was like 7$. went out and bought like 10$ worth of tomato grow ferts and bloom ferts with micronutrients and they seem to work well.

Last edited:

HammerStrength

Nice, what kind of wattage should I be looking for when buying the CFL and should 3 cfls be enough ? Thanks. I went to home depot but they had them in a number of flavors, gonna go head back there today.

you can cut yourself a growbox with 1 or 2 rubbermaids. redgreenery has a thread on this forum, and i think his cost was below 100$.
for vegitative stage,if youre gonna use cfls, you want cool white/sunlight/daylight compact fluorescent lights (CFLS). if u can find the kelvin temp of the bulb somewhere, try to get lights in the 4000-6500k+ temps.
for flowering look for warm whites/soft whites. it emits a orangeish yellow light, rather than the white/blue of the coolwhites/sun/daylight.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Hammer Strength, I am so excited for you. It is a wonderful and exciting journey growing herb. There are so many good grow threads here at IC and since you are wanting a micro grow, this forum should have lots of good info for you.

Can't wait to watch your progress.

whiskeyriot

That thing looks like its made of metal... hope you've got a blowtorch... on second thoughts i hope I'VE got a blowtorch looking at the size of the joint i just rolled :joint:

minds_I

Veteran
Red_Greenery said:
Rubbermaids and CFL's make wonderful growboxes!

QUOTE]

Very well done. I am impressed with the simplicity of the design-stealthy, compact. The vent system looks quite effective and simple in design.

I applaude your creation-you should do a thread on it.

minds_I

G

Thanks for the kind words, minds_I.

Here is a link to my thread with detailed build instructions. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31605

Rubbermaids make really great growboxes. If you can see past the duct tape and dryer ducting, the lighting and ventilation have been perfected in this design to provide high intensity light with complete stealth.

Feel free to drop by the Lodge anytime!