What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alpine outdoor guerilla grow

Funkalicious

Ahoy there maties, the funky crew has gone to the spot. Reporting back!

Looks like the girls have grown well in the last few weeks since they were transplanted. Not as big of a growth spurt as last year but I'm still really happy with the progress. We could see that hail did break a few stems which effectively topped a few plants.. They recovered like champs.

We planted an additional batch of plants. We amended with a Mills mix, perlite and organic fertiliser. So we now have in each balcony/terrace:

Top (13)
9 Critical
1 ACE Panama x PCK
1 Cream Mandarine
2 autoflowers

Middle (11)
10 NLX (Northern Lights x White Widow)
1 GMO

Bottom (11)
4 GMO
4 Kush Mints
1 ACE Zamaldelica x Kali China
1 Gorilla Glue
1 Tangerine Cookie

It's fairly dense planting once again (sorry troutman)! but it's less plants in total than last year, so I'm hoping for better ventilation for the girls..especially for the middle balcony. Let's see how it goes!

Last edited:

Funkalicious

IMG_20220705_214015.jpg

IMG_20220705_202932.jpg

Middle

IMG_20220705_213604.jpg

IMG_20220705_203139.jpg

Bottom
IMG_20220705_212028.jpg

Funkalicious

Hello! It's been a while since the last update. I've had some health issues this year so haven't been able to stay too active on this project.. But we harvested the last plants this week!

We had quite a drought this summer, hardly any rain at all. We only had the chance to water ourselves once. So the size of the plants was pretty stunted.

Here is a picture of the plants 3rd week of August

Middle balcony (NLX)
IMG-20220823-WA0007.jpg

Bottom balcony (Kush Mints, GMO, Gorilla Glue, Tangie Cookie and Zamaldelica x Kali China)

IMG-20220823-WA0005.jpg

Funkalicious

We hardly took any photos at harvest, we were in a hurry with everything this year! I managed to get a few photos of some plants on the bottom balcony.

IMG-20221013-WA0008.jpg

Gorilla Glue
IMG-20221013-WA0006.jpg

Zamaldelica x Kali China :

IMG-20221013-WA0007.jpg

The best looking plants this year were:
Crème Mandarine
Zamaldelica x Kali China
Gorilla Glue

The critical was solid as well. I think we got a decent harvest considering our lack of time to properly care to the plants this year. Happy to have some full jars even if we could do a lot better next year.

We our aiming to get some water storage installed, and making more of our own clones.

Funkalicious

Do you put up piles of wood to keep the deer out ?
Greetings @St. Phatty ! Ahoy there @kidkody ! Thanks stopping by.

So the wood that you see in the pictures are from the logging that took place before we arrived. We arranged it to secure the terraces, and close off the entrance to each terrace.

The growing brambles act as a better natural barrier each year. This year we also tied a rag to the entrances that was dripped with some stinky deer repellent..
No deer issues this year at all! It's made from human sweat.. Really.. Really stinks. Yuck!

Looking forward to seeing the thorny bramble Wall next season.

Funkalicious

Greetings good people of the outdoor forum. We are back in action again for the Alpine guerilla grow!

We went up the mountain for the first time this season.

We worked the soil a bit, widened terraces a bit as they kind of slump down during the winter. We also reinforced the retaining wall of the top balcony.

We also applied an organic soil amendment which should help for the vegetative phase once we bring the plants in June.

We kept the bramble and other pioneering plants we pulled out, and placed them in a water tank so that their powerful rooting hormones can be used for the first watering when the clones come up.

Great to be back and see the forest waking up!

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
You are growing in a cool spot but I guess the logistic is a pain the ass. How do you manage to get water to the plants, is there a small stream close to the grow spot or you have to bring it with backpacks?
I'm impressed to see the NLX is till going in 2022/23, I've grown some seeds of this cross around 2006/07, they were freebees from a Dutch growshop called Aliengrowshop in south Holland. I was growing outdoor at this period and the only female who came from my seeds was huge but a bit too slow to flower so I had to cut it before she was fully mature or the mold would have killed her. But even with a short flowering period she made some very good buds, it's a very good cross of classical strains that I would happily grow again in my new set-up.

Funkalicious

Yooo @kro-magnon, thanks for stopping by!

You are totally right, the logistics are tough, that's the price for finding a discreet spot in the mountains.. Good luck on getting water or amendments up there on your back. We don't have the time or energy to hike up water regularly, just a couple times in the grow season as a boost.

We have one small water tank, and we are aiming to install a few more, which would fill with rainwater. We are basically very dependent on rainfall and not having extreme drought years.

The way things are going, droughts are probably only going to get more likely. We got lucky on the 2021 season because it was a record year for rainfall, so the plants got pretty decent considering our light limitations. Last year was very dry, and the growth reflected that. I would say we are dependent on rain no matter the tanks we bring up, as they are going to be very small compared to what would be required for irrigation in a dry summer.

Yeah the NLX is still out there! This year we are growing ErdbeerX, which is a cross of Erdbeer (aka Fragolina) and NLX. Let's see how it goes! We need to be on the ball as we have some fast flowering strains, so gotta go visit them more regularly than last year to avoid losing any buds to mold.

Take care, stay funky!

You are growing in a cool spot but I guess the logistic is a pain the ass. How do you manage to get water to the plants, is there a small stream close to the grow spot or you have to bring it with backpacks?
I'm impressed to see the NLX is till going in 2022/23, I've grown some seeds of this cross around 2006/07, they were freebees from a Dutch growshop called Aliengrowshop in south Holland. I was growing outdoor at this period and the only female who came from my seeds was huge but a bit too slow to flower so I had to cut it before she was fully mature or the mold would have killed her. But even with a short flowering period she made some very good buds, it's a very good cross of classical strains that I would happily grow again in my new set-u

Funkalicious

Looks great.
Tagging along
Im getting ready for an outdoor guerrilla grow myself this year after an 11 years grow break.
Good luck with your first year back!

Are you flying solo? I wouldn't be able to do it myself with the hiking and all, although if I did it would be much smaller I suppose! I guess most people seem to fly solo for security reasons.

Are you also looking at a steep environment, or are you blessed with some flat spots? Take care out there :)

XLNordic

Good luck with your first year back!

Are you flying solo? I wouldn't be able to do it myself with the hiking and all, although if I did it would be much smaller I suppose! I guess most people seem to fly solo for security reasons.

Are you also looking at a steep environment, or are you blessed with some flat spots? Take care out there :)
I learned the hard way not to trust and involve others.
It didnt work for me last i tried 😰
Im growing outdoors in my garden and greenhouse and then in going to use 3 separate plots out in cornfields to make seeds on 2 early Danish landraces that are getting rate, and a field with guerrilla Gold 3.
Im from Denmark at 54 nl

Funkalicious

I learned the hard way not to trust and involve others.
It didnt work for me last i tried 😰
Im growing outdoors in my garden and greenhouse and then in going to use 3 separate plots out in cornfields to make seeds on 2 early Danish landraces that are getting rate, and a field with guerrilla Gold 3.
Im from Denmark at 54 nl
Good luck with your projects! Sounds like you got lots of fun things to try and learn this season, hope it will live up to your expectations :)

terroirist

Funkalicious

Hello good people of the outdoor forum!

Good news.. Today I harvested the ErdPurt! It looked good, smelled good, and finished for early September so what's not to love?

IMG_20230904_181523.jpg

IMG_20230904_181544.jpg

IMG_20230904_181557.jpg

The next batch to be ready will likely be ErdbeerX. They look amazing! This is definitely a strain we will be growing again.. Smells fantastic already.

IMG_20230904_185239.jpg

Our Thai Chi are by far the biggest plants. But wow they are slow to flower. One of the mothers probably won't be ready until mid November.. That's not a strain we will probably be able to work with in future due to the cold wet autumn you get in mountains.
IMG_20230904_180914.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts