What's new

all utilities included apartment- can I grow?

TruthOrLie

Veteran
I am in the same situation, not in a studio though and I only use a 250 to flower, but I say go for it. My landlord includes the electricity in the rent and I make sure and pay on time every month and have yet to have any problems. Don't listen to people saying just buy a sack and you'll be fine, that is not a good use of your money if you have the option to grow your own. Let's see you could be paying ~$300-400 per oz every few weeks/months, or you could spend that same $300 and get a couple #'s. Which one seems like a better use of your money?

i MUST be doing something wrong. #'s from $300??

I

Iron_Lion

I ran a 250W cabinet in my room as a kid and never had any issues and my dad was an electricity nazi. If you learn how to use it right a 250 can easily produce 6oz or more, which is more than enough for personal consumption. I think it adds like 12 bucks to the electric bill but leaving your xbox on all the time would cost more. Its amazing that some peeps on here grow at all theyre so damn paranoid.

Okay if you're going to here is the thing....I have a computer(not living in an apt atm) which I leave on all the time and it's running 750 watts now you already leave the lights on, probably have a flat screen(2-3 thousand watts) plus other random shit. That's a lot of electricity adding another 500+ watts won't set off any red alarms especially if you start when it starts getting cold because it can be blamed on extra heating or something. Even then, extra usage will not get a warrant for your place. Next being, if you are going to grow, make some kind of cab(whichever size you want) and paint it to blend in....put it in a room of your place you think is saftest, with locks, and a carbon scrubber. add a new lock to that door not you're main door. So even if someone breaks in they see a cabinet, even if it's making noise(you should sound proof it) or leaking light) that still isn't illegal, using lights to grow indoors is fine and unless they can smell or see marijuana they can't do anything but evict you or be suspicious.

R

rick shaw

The more units the better.Places that are AEK (all electric kitchen) is best.Reasons for using so much power, air conditioners,space heaters.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
I would not do this. There probably wouldn't be an enormous spike in electric...but I would imagine you are living in or around the landlord if they are included. If not, you could always roll the dice.

I would move to a place where you pay your own bills. Just for the peace of mind.

C

CANNATOPIA

If you really want to grow you will weigh the risks yourself.
Norml has a pretty good place to see state by state laws concerning medical & non-medical use & cultivation of cannabis throughout the US.
Good luck on whatever path you choose friend.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
It would cost an extra $37.80 to run a 400w set up, thats including an extra 100 watts for fans etc..on an 18/6 cycle at 14 cents per KWH.

If you dont leave your lights on when your not home and you dont run alot of electronics this would be shit. I know peeps with window A/Cs in every window, leave lights on all the time, have big screen tvs, video games and computers and think nothing of it.

Using CFL's in ever light would cut the electric consumption for the lighting by 1/2 to 2/3.
This^^^^
I only read as far as this post before replying.

reduce power use in all other areas, cfl bulbs, not leaving anything on unless absolutely necessary, etc....
If you cut your current consumption, then your bill will probably only go up by 10-15 dollars, not enough to raise any flags with anyone IMO.

Do it

have to agree wit kalicokitty, but not the only thing to consider.
my friend and hi brother run 3 thousand watts n one and 4k in other
hps,mh,cfl's and t 5's.
but they live in crummy apts. whr mamagement never wants to fix anything, never bother u unless u dont pay your rent. so they have an advantage-also either the residents are illegal aliens...........lol............. sell something r the other so they never have 2 worry bout neihgbors. i think these factors are more important-400 watss wont do any thing but ad 30 dlrs max a month and thtas max. i would go wit t5's for veggin and moms and a 600 for flowering,u gat alot denser bud formation than a 400..just my 2 cents.........good luk and over grow

bobbyjames

Man, growing in a rental HOUSE is one thing....in a studio rental is another. If you can make it look real good maybe...remember they can always come in your spot to change air filters etc...I wouldn't just have a tent out in the open though..its a studio.

I've got a buddy with 5600 watts in a rental HOUSE. that's no problem. If you can get into a small home even you would be much better off, I personally wouldn't do it in an apartment though- neighbors are too close. Its a 2 br house, he sleeps in the living room...

I have a friend that got popped a few weeks ago- the cops were in the building for a different reason, smelled herb- warrant to go into the adjoining apt. Popped his grow. Here's the kicker...he owns the building. SO random things can happen...never forget the X factor.

4 pages and only one post mentioning smell?

Electricity is the least of your problems here IMHO.

In a tiny place in apartment ville, smell should be your #1 concern. In a studio, the smell will hit the door and fill the hall with very little effort.

Fire up a cheap PC grow and see if you can keep the smell under control. Then slowly expand. You'll learn a lot along the way. No need to jump right on the 400w.

ambition

i was going to grab a 2x4 tent and a big ass carbon filter. I'm sitting here contemplating placing an order for about a thousand dollars worth of equipment, or whether to hold off. If I do it I'll go straight 12/12 and be done in 3 months. I'm 25 and a felony would obviously ruin my life. I think/hope that I would only get a misdemeanor with a few plants; normal tells me so.

Tough, tough call.

ELECTRICITY USAGE: since you are worried about using too much electricity one way would be to reduce the amount of electricity that you use in non growing areas to the point you are saving 4-500watts hour.

Another way would be to use a smaller light. perhaps a 250HPS?
OR even better would be a 205watt LED light from Hydrogrow.led.....check out their forums on IC MAG!! for more info. It will make you approximately the same amount of cannabis as a 400watter and only uses 180watts/hour!!!!, the only potential problem being the high cost of the 205watt LED.

I hope this helps ya mate.:tiphat:

yep....odour control will be the most important factor in an apartment.

sound control is also a problem. I suggest using an ozone generator instead of centrifugal fans with a carbon filter, the reason being they can be quite noisy. If you can keep the sound of the centrifugal fan quiet enough you will be ok.

odour control: A 1000mg/min ozone generator. These only use 120mm computer fans and are quiet. I suggest hooking up the ozone generator so that the outlet for the ozone is just BEHIND your circulating fan inside your grow tent. Put it on a timer 15mins on 45mins off and leave it like this from seed/clone till harvest.

I'm surprised more people on this site don't use ozone generators....used correctly they are very effective.

light leaks.....simple enough, no need to comment here.

p.s. this was meant to be one post but I stuffed it up...lol

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
I once lived in a place where they paid electric bill. Manager told me thy can check individual apt. But the owner just pays a lump sum bill every month.. I ran 400 for the first month just testing waters and threw on another one with no problems. My main concern was smell my neighbor would complain

I'm a Don't Do This guy. If every other unit is doing $150 of electricity and you're suddenly doing $300, the landlord has to wonder what's going on. Even with a common meter for a bunch of apts they should be investigating the spike in usage. just good business practice.

If this is just for personal...Why don't you forget the 400w HPS and pick up something smaller and cooler...

I have a few of these 110w PL-55's from HTG supply in my veg. They cover a nice little 2' area and put out 10,000 lumens and very little heat.

Get one for veg (6500k) and one for bloom (3000k) and you'll be golden on the electricity concerns.

As for smell...well...that's something to worry about.

good luck whatever you do.

CnD.

tequila_sunrise

yep....odour control will be the most important factor in an apartment.
I'm surprised more people on this site don't use ozone generators....used correctly they are very effective.

light leaks.....simple enough, no need to comment here.

p.s. this was meant to be one post but I stuffed it up...lol

I would agree in a normal apartment but this is a studio apartment. Meaning he has 1 room and a seperate bathroom (Maybe a closet?). I'd say your #1 problem is concealing your grow box. If you got a decent cab youd be ok like the old c20's.

I think most people's resisitance to ozone is the fact that it kills organic matter if not properly set up and can be dangerous to health of occupants living in the area it is being used.

I know my buddy had a very successful grow in a trailer with ozone.

Carbon filters are easy, they work, and you can build one without electrocuting yourself ;)