What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

All about reamending

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the only thing with leaving your pots outdoors and growing stuff in them is the danger of introducing root aphids or other pests. i would make sure you were confident that your soil could deal with such things - maybe neam seed meal would beat the. personally i am old fashioned and would NOT grow stuff outdoors in my indoor containers...

thats also something to watch out for if adding plant material from elsewhere. i regularly see root aphids on dandelion roots and i weeded up a yarrow the other day and there was hundreds of aphids on the roots.

VG

U

unthing

vg, yeah there is always that danger. anyone know what meanies spiders would eat, i seem to have plenty lol, in the tent, in the kitchen sink, in the bathroom etc, true natural prevention maybe?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive put some jumping spiders in my grow before but not really seen them for long afterwards. there are a few good threads on predators.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
For me when reusing soil I only use it from veg to flower then return it to my canning pile and soak it... Then use it again from veg to flower.

My canning pile, soil is kept under the black tarp, it has a roof, and the ground was lined with chicken wire and weed mat.

picture.php

The bulk of my soil is the kind you usually get for $20 a cubic yard, I cut it with Pro Mix HP.

I make a large pile of soil on a tarp then mix my veg amendments in to plant, and add more as a top dress when needed

These are growing in reused soil inside my greenhouse with weeds.

I have not used any insecticide on these plants.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is how I do things... I am sure there are better ways... But this works for me.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
they look happy - do you flower them outdoors/greenhouse too?

Those seedlings are going into a new greenhouse setup for pots, no planter beds will be in that one.

I have completely stopped flowering plants under electricity, but I still run a veg for cuttings to be flowered in the greenhouse.

I run reused soil for my indoor veg that I only use for cuttings.

picture.php

Over time the soil you keep using will always change and adapt to new products you see and buy... If you can, having a smaller test pile is good so you dont contaminate your big pile while trying new things.

I really only get/blend new potting soil if I expand my grow, plant potted plants into the planter beds, or contaminate soil.

Saves money in the long run and lets me know whats going in and coming out consistently.

U

unthing

these bad accumulations, what kind of problems would they cause, have you observed them? that was bit funnily put maybe, but beyond building organic concrete with reamending with rock dust or liming agents, and of course various imbalances with having too much of c,mg,k or something. i'm not an agrologist with lab.

Last edited:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
these bad accumulations, what kind of problems would they cause? that was bit funnily put maybe, but beyond building organic concrete with reamending with rock dust or liming agents, and of course various imbalances with having too much of c,mg,k or something. i'm not an agrologist with lab.

you kinda have to have an idea about what your adding and why your adding it, what the cause and effect will be.

If you dont have much experience with killing plants and learning why they died, then this may not be much fun...

For me its a practice in patience, observation, and practical thinking... I'm not good at telling/teaching, I'm good at doing.

I do try to share my ideas... But there are steps in what I do that I dont notice I'm doing... I know what corners I can and cannot cut, basically.

:ying:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
ive been looking for some info on this as my flowers faded the last two rounds after about 3-4 weeks
I hope the info here is still relevant cause i thought the blood meal would last longer

I see im going to need to reamend for my next round because topdressing just doesnt seem to cut it

Great thread , lets see if 2016 has any new tips

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
blood meal is probably the worst as far as soluble amendments. too quick to release it's N & gone almost immediately. the living soil guys have been preaching "no blood meal ever" for years.

amending for N is asking for trouble anyway ~NPK paradigm. instead, feed the soil & it will take care of the plant

we need to eliminate that "organics for beginners" thread. the information is dated & "stoner science." it's pointless to re-amend those mixes as they are too hot to begin w/ & use of dolo lime or solubles or shitty amendments like feather or bovine bone meal become problematic in a single cycle ~let alone over the long haul w/ a recycle mix

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
you have to understand we cant all afford the greatest amendments. people use the cheap stuff cause it works ( for the first round anyways)
maybe give us some ideas on reamending the stoner science recipes to gradually get over the npk syndrome most of us hydro refuges can use when our fading starts to creep up?
Im all for feeding the soil, i use teas to water with, most every time. but Im not trying to kill the plants with my npk mentality and cant quite seem to find a proper balance for my lc#2's recipe 1 mix after 1-2 cycles.
I dont really want to use blood meal or guano for many reasons, but what else is there when my plants beigin to fade?

please give us your 2016 views?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how about alfalfa? fresh should be used minimally for the same reason blood meal isn't a good choice. alfalfa is plant-based {the key} & offers much more than just N. i go out & get it in the field ~cost=zero. same w/ the many choices for dynamic accumulators

blood meal is no cheaper than any other amendment

if you're using teas to feed the soil, what are they comprised of. a tea should be compost molasses & water. if you want to mess w/ hydrolyzed fish or kelp in your tea, use tiny amounts {hint don;t waste your time w/ HF or kelp in your tea anyway}

my 2016 views mirror the 2013 views in my signature thread. i didn't put much in the way of soil recipes in there because i referenced FTI's thread for that ~it's linked in the 1st post

it's hard to beat cootz mix since it tests balanced right out of the gate. people typically add neem seed meal as necessary to it for IPM & reamend the kelp if they don;t have compost from their grow "waste" yet

I love blood meal. All the hate towards it is unfounded. Who doesn't want N to disappear in late flower?

I wish everything disappeared at the end. But I guess it's all about perspective

Blood meal gets me explosive stretch and growth and gradually fades out to make room for P and K to do their thing. It's really the perfect amendment IMO. Again, all about perspective

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you can apply it judiciously & it works for you, so much the better. remember that excess N can cause explosive growth which ultimately results in weak plants that cannot support themselves

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've never used support. but, to be fair, i have had some spontaneously bend over ~it's happened like twice now {since '95} more fairness; it's never been for production so, micro grow. i'll be supporting the big ones