What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
img_0013-1.jpg

Organic beer cup'r, 9 monthes old, SSSDH.

RedSoloCup

2 Ghost Revegged OG moms in the back. Afgooey or GDP Reveg mom in the front (still not sure). The one on the left is Bubble Gum 12/12 flower experiment i revegged in the same cup then transplanted into a nursery pot. The one on the right is some random bagseed sativa, just keepin it around for shits and giggles.

This thread is great. Learned alot of things to help me along the way! Going to be doing some training on the moms and root pruning once the soil dries out a bit :dance013:

Attachments

• 0207151756.jpg
    0207151756.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 64

Cobra420

I've been using OP's method for the past 2 months or so and I have to say, it has worked better than any other way I've tried keeping clones/mothers! I used to take clones using the water method. The results were VERY inconsistent. Going with a 50/50 compost/perlite mix has been amazing with great results. As for lighting, I have 2 - 4' 2bulb T12's over the mothers and 2 - 4' 2 bulb T12's above the rooting/rooted clones.

There are a few things I do differently. Instead of plastic bags over the rooting clones, I just set the containers in a humidity dome. I can fit 18 of these containers to a seedling tray PERFECTLY. For me, its a little easier to remove a dome from over a bunch of containers than to mess with bags over individuals.

Another thing I do differently is use slightly larger containers with Blumats. I wanted to implement Blumats into the mix so I could be sure to keep the mothers watered well. I like to go on vacation a lot so needed a sure fire way to keep them watered for an extended amount of time.

A few of the mothers below have just recently started to be mum'd up so they aren't the bushiest yet but they will be in time. The numbering of the mothers are from the way I run seeds. I run 4 seeds per strain and number them accordingly. Going to have 18 mother plants going once full.

The front row from left to right are
Mosca's C99#1
Mosca's C99#1
Mosca's C99#3
Bueno Time's Pineapple Express x Cheese N Chaze #1
Fractal's Strawberry Diesel Kush #1
Fractal's Strawberry Diesel Kush #4

The back row from left to right are

Nirvana Bubblelicious #4
Nirvana Bubblelicious #4
Mandela Satori #1
Fractal's Strawberry Diesel Kush #1
Fractal's Strawberry Diesel Kush #4

picture.php

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I employ some bonsai techniques but in my setup moms after a while put out tiny thin clones.. I like big clones so I don't keep moms more than 6 months anymore...yeehaw

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup. Not sure why they push tiny clones but the small pots helped when I had no space for anything to grow at all. Heading towards blumats and 1-2 gallon pots of coir now.

mexicani-ar

I am truly grateful to all the people who spent hours of trial and error to give us this great information, you guys and girls are the best, Mexicani-ar

liltman

love this method, first done it when i had to keep them small through not having much head height, never kept them in pots this small, just read again today and forgot how small a pot it can be done in, running a lot of different plants at the min so so ill be down sizing my pot size from five litres to two, always enjoy reading this, first time i used a bonsai method i used a dish washing tub, it was more about keeping everything low, i did not have faith i could do it but its helped me a lot love it

jesbuds

Great way to learn how much abuse (in the form of trimming/defoliating) your plants can take as well ;). I've often heard the word 'cute' used to describe my moms in 12oz cups but they do the job and takes up very little space.

Tynehead Tom

hehe, 15 years ago I drove a rental RV across Canada from BC to Ontario with 6 bonsai moms and some trays of clones I cut the day before we left. I set up 4 , 4ftx4tube 4100K T8's on the inverter and off we went. We lost a few clones but over 80% made the trip and rooted on the way LOL. The brothers back east were sure happy campers when I arrived with new genes from the west coast ;)

Tynehead Tom

Bonzai Mom in the making

Bonzai Mom in the making

picture.php

this clone came with the top busted off so I decided to make it a bonsai mom. potted and put to veg under linear T8 4100K hi lumen floros.

10 days later on april 7th
picture.php

and April 10th. This sucker is getting twisted and bent manually with no tying down yet, forcing it to repair itself and bulk up the stems.
picture.php

April 16. bending and twisting to get the two stems level to each other, even kinked the main stalk just below the Y to get it to level out at the branches. all the side shoots are getting twisted and tortured and bent out and down as well. When I'm done and ready to clone, it should have 32 cloneable tops growing straight up. i'll be topping the two branches in a day or two once I have 4 or 5 branches forming on each main.
these will grow till each branch has 4 shoots growing up and i'll top all the side branches, leaving 4 sites on each branch growing straight up and making perfect bed of clones every 3 weeks
picture.php

picture.php