What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

Merman

HAI!

HAI!

Me Bonzai Mums....Hai! :chin:

Here's the current family: Bubblicious, AK48, Mexican Sativa (Nirvana freebee), Tiki Green Devil, Blueberry Trainwreck, Purple Power....

The Bubble and AK have been around for a year or so, the others are just a few months along.

These started in a bubbler, then to 4x4" pots, the Bubble and AK are in 4x4x6" pots where they will live until they don't. So, for reference, they are about 8 inches tall and are trimmed out as needed to keep that height. Vegetation and root mass in almost a one to one ratio.

I dig the tall 4 inch pots.... I can squeeze a bunch together into my NGB inspired cab. I have room for nine Mums if I really pack them in. My next project will be California Orange, and then perhaps White Rhino or Papaya.

Soil is standard potting mix with some vermiculite, small amount of slow release seaweed based fertilizer (16-16-16), and just a few water retention crystals. They are living under low watt fluoro.

I've been ignoring them for awhile (I know, they look a little beat on), so I brought them out today for cleanup and further training for the small ones. I will let the new ones go in the small pots until the roots completely fill out the container and poke through the drain holes. They are all topped and trained to 5-8 main branches in a 'bowl' shape.

Prior to cloning any strain, I will increase light and ferts for a couple weeks. The rapid growth new shoots are perfect for cloning and quick to take. I only need six clones for my setup, and that is every couple of months or so (taken at the beginning of 12/12 in the flower box).

Rock on Masters of the Grow! :headbange

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
has anybody tried to bonsai a mutant? i have a few dj short f13 mutant clones that i REALLY want to keep. is it worth it? or should i just flower em and enjoy it while it lasts?

Merman

swamp - I think you should keep them.... I find that clones that take awhile to root mostly get that 'mutant' look to them until they are vegged out for a month. If you got a good result from the originals, no reason not to keep a Mum around!

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
im gonna try it. the original is something special. i really wanna keep it for as long as possible.

G

guest101

Hey guys!! :rasta:
My "mini moms" of WW, SSH, NYCD and SS.

heheiq8.jpg

Keep it green! :D

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
looking good. i started my bonsai today. hopefully i can keep this mutant around for awhile. i love the idea of keeping these varieties for a long time. especially the limited releases.

Wicked

I have plants that i cloned this summer that have now been veggin since late august. Under a 400 mh 18/6 , they have now reached up to my chest. Is it still possible to bonsai them or do i need to clone and start small? :puppydoge

Mibri

Hi Crazy.
Been a long time since my last logon. Nice article about our mothers. Hope you are doing well, and are having a nice Christmas and all. Have some more time on the forum next couple of months, so am allready looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve.
I got lazy on my grow, and lost a whole grow to mold - though i have now found between the Jack Herer plants (Jack III) - the perfect pheno. After getting lazy i got the many plants mixed up in different containers (i had about 18 plant of JH and WW)
After some time we found out (me and my girlfrien) that every now and the we rolled a joint that one was way more potent thant the others. Now we found out that one pheno, JH III is very very potent compared to all the others. (we seriously recognize when smoking a j from this compared to any other of my plants i smoked. Besides from this pheno i got a pheno that makes exceptional large (and potent) buds. I got nice pictures to show you. And i got a Pineapple and one that creates many many flowers in very late flowering. (it keeps producing fresh white hairs undefinately).
Well looking forward to hearing from you again m8. Hope you are doing good and that your grow is doing well. Happy new years!

Wicked

Ive five plants that looked good in the summer so I took some clones. Outta the five, (which were waist to tit high) I cut back two to resemble somewhat of a bonsai, however Im concerned that I definitly took off aprox, 3/4's of the plant. Now Im just going to sit back and see what happens but if you would like to give your info on that it would be interesting to know what you and others do. Peace and Happy New Year!

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This thread inspired me to start my own mum tent for bonsai mums. Here are my mums now, at their biggest. This weekend I plan to take some clones and after downsize these gals into smaller pots. :wave:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
mmm. i gotta get me a tent goin too. just for keepers as my quest for a garden of pure dankness continues.

G

emory said:
Hello everyone, Im semi-back and found this over at PG. It is a great counterpiece to the original post so I hope JJJ doesnt mind me re-posting it here. If you have any problems J, just let me know and I'll be happy to take it down.

Take care and stay safe
guerilla

p.s.
DG, please get in touch with me if you have some time. Thanks, love ya :D I appreciate everything youve done for me. I hope that all is well with you, gypsy and everyone else in your life.

Whats Up G, good to see you back posting, Especially in your amazing thread. Make sure you email me when you read this, if you dont remember me I used to go by Mystaduke2, and Highagain just to jog your memory. Make sure you give me a buzz.

ofr

hy.
i am new to growing, so could you help a bit?
excuse me for my english, this is not my language.
i have a small growbox that I use for veg and flower.
when I saw this thread I saw an opportunity for me to have a
veg box for 2-3 moms. I didn't make veg box yet
becouse of space limit. could you tell me how small
(big) box should be for 2 bonsai moms and a 3-4 clones
until they root? and how much lumens? I can go deep like
30cm, that is 12 inch I belive, so could you sugest me width
and height? I would make this box and just put him inside my
current box for some time until I find a better sollution.
thx

hurricane

Greetings, another grower interested in bosai moms.

I was recently gifted a mom. Friend moved here from Europe and after a few years germed the seeds he had brought with him from the dam. This was the only female that came up, the older beans just didn't last i guess. To test for female i'm told they were put into flower until sex showed, then back to veg. Its a WRxWW, from nirvana seed bank i think. Anyways, the plant when i got it came from a room with a small powdery mildew problem, coated the plant with serenade and havn't seen it come back. the leaves have a bit of residue left on them from the serenade though.

To the bonsai'ing. When i received this plant she was verticle grown. I bent her over excessively over a few days to get her where she is now and taking light semi-effectively from the 2x32W T8's. I'm curious how far down i can cut this plant, as its still taking up too much space. I've read to take down to 4 sets of alternating nodes, but that would be taking a large part of this plant, and most of that growth is whispy. I would love to make this into a proper bonsai mom though.

Is it possible? or am i better off cloning this girl a few times and trying to make some bonsai moms from them. I mainly want to shrink this lady so i can fit 2 moms under 1.5-2' of the 4' tube, and clone on the other 2 feet, possibly with supplemental 42W CFL's for early veg. If i can make the space i will try to make a few clones when i prune my SOG in a week and a half, to also try and train into bonsai moms, keeping the best.

And heres the mom:

Hurricane

I advise you to clone her...that's what i would do at this stage of vertical growth...too many wooden stems without leaves...clone here and you'll be able to make a proper compact bonsai ;)

@ofr : 10cmx10cm is sufficient for each bonsai mum (if properly done) And 6x6 for each cutting seems good to me...in 60x60cm i have 5 mums + a few cuttings

ofr

I have an old attempt of box 30x50x70 (depth, width, height),
I can make some adjustments to this, so you think it would
be enough? I want 2 moms and a few cuttings, and
I won't do it the best way possible becouse I am begginer..
and what about light? I have 2 cfls, 42w, 6000K, 3500lumens
and one 55w 6000K, 4700 lumens, what should I use?
I know that clones do not need much light, and I dont want
mom to grow fast, so I was thinking that this 55w could be enough..
thx

Last edited:
to me it would be enough for 2 moms and a few cuttings...
about light i dunno much bout CFLs...i use a 125 w MG wich is good for the use u mentionned

hope it helps

ofr

where I live there is no envirolite... :(
I think that this yours 125w gives about 9000 lumens,
so I need to put one 42w and 55w to get that much ligth..
but you have 60x60 so that is more than double space,
so maybe 55w is enough for me... I'll do some more research.
thx man, you are my hero...