What's new

Aliens, yay or nay?

Aliens, yay or nay?

• Absolutely no

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Maybe, i'm not sure

Votes: 43 11.5%
  • Of course, there are aliens out there!

Votes: 312 83.6%

• Total voters

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
no they aren't

and i'm sure what i said must seem mean to you, if you're a simpleton

i think you're upset i disrupted your conspiracy circle jerk and now you can't wax intellectual and pat yourself on the back for being such a free thinking truth seeker!

seriously man, this is really silly. this is like a child with an advanced vocabulary trying to convince me bigfoot is real because they think it must be real. i'm giving you nothing but rational thought.

my dad's wife is sort of intelligent. when she got warmed up to me, she told me stories about herself. she told me a few stories of how when she was searching an abandoned building with her marine colleagues, she heard a voice saying "get out" and it sounded like it was coming from all directions. she also told me of a time she saw a seven foot apparition , a grim silhouette of what appeared to be a very tall man approaching her slowly. she said she ran for her life down the road she had been walking down and when she looked back seconds after seeing it, it was gone.
this woman watches nothing but shit like ghost hunters or travel shows feauturing haunted tourist attractions or people exploring catacombs under cities... etc. she very much believes in ghosts and believes that it has been proven that ghosts exist and that they have interacted with the living.

it is the most god damned ridiculous thing i've ever heard. she'll watch those shows where a dude sets up a camera on a table with a lamp, and then pulls the cord to make the lamp slide ... and she'll gasp...and go "oh my god, too freaky, i'd be OUTTA there buddy!"
and every episode, they just go into houses with ghostbusters equipment, cameras and different gauges and digital meters. they get "readings" of different "data" and then say things like "definitely something here..." and say things every now and then like "whoa, you can definitely feel something in this room" or they will pause and hush the camera man, trying to focus completely on the silence and then say ...did you hear that?

that's the same shit as you fools that believe in ufos, or bigfoot, or vampires or hobgoblins. there is no proof, no evidence, no smoking gun. just stories and people not being able to draw the line between fact and fiction.

for some people, seeing those shows where people "investigate" haunted buildings or haunted plantations is enough proof for them to start believing. for some people, watching a couple youtube videos is enough to change their entire lifestyle.
im referencing a married couple, with children, that appeared on the show doomsday preppers. the husband watched a couple videos on youtube (according to his testimony) about nibiru, or planet x, and believed that on dec 21, 2012, a polar shift would occur, triggering an apocalypse event and societal collapse. he moved his family to tennessee and began drilling and preparing for the inevitable, which didn't ever happen.
he believed this because of a video some dumb asshole put on youtube.

it doesn't take much to convince someone of something spectacularly stupid, especially if that something is very interesting to the person, like aliens or ufos. you read enough "classified documents", watch enough videos, read enough witness reports, you'll be so infected with the idea you'll think everyone else is wrong because they haven't read what you read or seen what you think you've seen.

so once again man, the burden of proof lies with the man that makes the claim. give me some proof and i'll eat crow.

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
i'm not going to bother going back in this thread to read all of this argument, but just to clarify do you seriously believe that aliens came to earth, went to our farms, made strange shapes in the crops and then left

seriously man you have to see how that just sounds retarded

I have no idea what caused the crop circles. Some say it was aliens trying to communicate via images. Some say it was impressions made by their craft when they landed. Others believe it's some sort of energy/plasma field effect causing it. Some say it's people with boards trying to fool others into believing it's aliens or energy fields.

All I'm saying is that these circles, whatever they are, have been reported from as far back as the 17th century before man could fly to be able to recognize these areas of crushed crops formed a pattern. As such it's not very likely that they were made by people trying to trick others into thinking it was aliens or energy fields.

As far as my beliefs regarding aliens, personally I think they exist elsewhere in the universe. I don't believe they have been here because I think they face the same limitations of time and distance and maximum speed of travel that we face. They maybe advanced enough however to have overcome that but that's pure speculation. So I'm open to the possibility they've been here but until I see them for myself I'm not inclined to believe they've been here.

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
whats your source on the early reports for crop circles? or are you just referencing something you know you've read but just don't recall where?

that is kind of interesting to think about, but i'd like to see how complicated the crop circles were, and then maybe ponder what kind of sophisticated or primitive methods were used to create it... but then there's always the why... always, always a why...

so if crop circles existed before man could fly, who was supposed to see them? perhaps they were made near hills? or tall buildings? according to wiki, the first untethered hot air balloon flight was 1783 but you claim that they were reported in the 1600s.... so that kinda rules out people seeing it while traveling through the sky... hmmm

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
These are not ad hominem attacks?

etc.

Seems like mean spirited whateverthe fuck to me, but what do I know.

"That's just like, your opinion, man." -- The Dude

Who are you quoting here? I don't even remember reading this opinion and I certainly did not express it.

HempKat

Veteran
Well, that's like the Nazca lines.

View Image

Can't say I have any answers. I do know the first Americans believed they were descended from aliens. The author below differentiates between "extraterrestrial" and "otherworldly," but I've heard discussion of descending from "the star people" among Native Americans.

http://www.philipcoppens.com/kachina.html

Not exactly because the people making the Nazca lines were most likely making the images for their Gods to see. Whether those gods were aliens or not is irrelevant to the point which is they believed there was an entity or entities somewhere above that could see them.

In the case of the crop circles dating back to the 17th century in England however, no human claimed or is known to have made them so they obviously weren't being made by someone here for someone to see from above. It could be pranksters but then that gets back to who were they pranking since man didn't have a way to view them from above at that time?

The snow art you posted earlier however could be said to be like the Nazca lines in that the creator of that snow art was/is aware of the possibility/likelihood or people flying above being able to see it and therefore it could be said he created what he created for them like the Nazca people created what they did for their gods. What makes both those different from the crop circles is that it's an established fact they were made by humans with the intent for someone or something to view then from above. Whereas the crop circles in the 17th century nobody knows who made those and it was prior to even balloon flight so who would have seen them?

See the differences?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
he is quoting me

Ah. But that doesn't make sense. You just joined the conversation. How can you be the example of the ad hominem attacks that have supposedly occupied the last 85 pages if you just joined the conversation?

Curious, that.

(Also, Tesla is a she.)

HempKat

Veteran
Nah, Hemp. I just disagree with his premise. His QUESTION begs the answer.

I'll try it a different way....

If I ask "who created the universe?" then my question about the creation of the universe PRESUPPOSES that *SOME ENTITY* created the universe. It also presupposes that the universe was created.

The correct question would be something along the lines of "How did the universe come about?"

The first way of phrasing it presupposes that the universe was CREATED (which we don't know) and that it was created by SOMEONE (which we don't know).

The second way (How did the universe come about?) does not assume the universe was created NOR does it assume a creator.

So..

now that you (hopefully) understand my actual point, go back and read it again.

If you actually got my point, you might revisit my "square root of blueberries" or "flying unicorn" examples and find something you understand there, as well.

The problem is the part of the quote you're comparing to with your Fiction = forgery analogy wasn't a question it was a statement. The author does ask a question when he says, "So, what exactly lies behind the genuine crop circles?" Which is fair since he's made the distinction that there are faked crop circles and then other "genuine" crop circles. His question in no way suggests what it must have been made by only that it isn't being done by two guys with boards and string.

I've gotten your point all along the problem is your point doesn't match up with what you're trying to apply it to because the author isn't saying who created them or how exactly or for what purpose he just covers the forces involved which are light, sound and magnetism. He doesn't even mention or imply it's alien in origin but rather it's just a phenomenon.

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Not exactly because the people making the Nazca lines were most likely making the images for their Gods to see. Whether those gods were aliens or not is irrelevant to the point which is they believed there was an entity or entities somewhere above that could see them... Whereas the crop circles in the 17th century nobody knows who made those and it was prior to even balloon flight so who would have seen them?

See the differences?

Well, kind of, I guess. But I'm pretty sure the Nasca lines pre-date the English phenomena. I also think that the English (generally) have believed God to be a man who lives in the sky and watches them, for quite some time. I remember being surprised to learn that the Easter Island figures were facing the island with their backs to the sea. I think people have probably always felt like God/their ancestors/whoever is watching them.

I really don't have any specific opinions about the crop circles.

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Who are you quoting here? I don't even remember reading this opinion and I certainly did not express it.

I was talking to Feyd.

Sorry, I missed your question, unless you were asking me if I could prove it conclusively. That's kind of circular. As I've stated repeatedly, I don't believe objective reality exists, or if it does, it can't be proven. So that's just like, my opinion, man.

<3 Tesla

HempKat

Veteran
whats your source on the early reports for crop circles? or are you just referencing something you know you've read but just don't recall where?

that is kind of interesting to think about, but i'd like to see how complicated the crop circles were, and then maybe ponder what kind of sophisticated or primitive methods were used to create it... but then there's always the why... always, always a why...

so if crop circles existed before man could fly, who was supposed to see them? perhaps they were made near hills? or tall buildings? according to wiki, the first untethered hot air balloon flight was 1783 but you claim that they were reported in the 1600s.... so that kinda rules out people seeing it while traveling through the sky... hmmm

That's my point, one source said crop circles date back to Sir Issac Newton's time. Sir Issac Newton lived 1642 - 1747 so clearly before balloon flight. When I made my point it was being suggested that crop circles were all man made hoaxes to fool people into believing they were the result of aliens. Which may be true of modern crop circles but seems unlikely in a day and age such as the 17th century when people weren't flying and few if anybody had theories about little green men from Mars.

As for my sources well there are several. I found them by typing crop circles into google. They all pretty much make the same claim that reports of crop circles date back to the 17th century but since you seem to trust Wikipedia lets use them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle

Early reports of circular formations

In 1686, British scientist Robert Plot reported on fairy rings in his The Natural History of Stafford-Shire, and said they could be caused by airflows from the sky.

HempKat

Veteran
Well, kind of, I guess. But I'm pretty sure the Nasca lines pre-date the English phenomena. I also think that the English (generally) have believed God to be a man who lives in the sky and watches them, for quite some time. I remember being surprised to learn that the Easter Island figures were facing the island with their backs to the sea. I think people have probably always felt like God/their ancestors/whoever is watching them.

I really don't have any specific opinions about the crop circles.

Yes the English might be said to believe that God is a man who lives in the sky but unlike the Nazca lines that we know for a fact where made by the Nazca people, no Englishmen came forward to claim responsibility for the 17th century crop circles in England and no investigations concluded they were man made. So to say they were man made for God is unsupported whereas to say that the Nazca lines were man made for the Nazca Gods is supported.

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
to say that the Nazca lines were man made for the Nazca Gods is supported.

Can you cite that? I've never heard of any individual taking credit or being credited with the lines, nor any firm understanding of why they were created, or exactly when. It's my understanding that they were also created before it would have been possible to see them from the sky, that's part of the intrigue.