What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ak48 DWC Closet grow #1.

420ponics

Update! So I had to leave the kids for a couple of days. The shoplight which I was using wasn't on when I got back! Luckily I had a backup light just incase one went out so it wouldn't ruin the lights on/off cycle. The plants were sitting under some light, but it was a single floro with minimal output probably 5 feet away. I returned the light fixture and purchased a bigger better one and both lights actually work with it as well (last time only one would work, but I couldn't move the messed up supplies out of my house due to security reasons until today). I think they went for nearly 2 days without the shoplight. Anyway, the kids are getting bigger and their first set of leaves are showing : )

Ponics.

Looking totally rad man. I got my sent email confirmation today, for my AK-48 babies. I'll be checking in often to see your babies boom. I'm going to grow in soil, but I still wanna see how awesome your plants grow up to be.

Good Luck,
CN

frostyy420

Looking good. Will be following this one. I have always kepts fluoros right above seedlings(1-2" above). Dont want them stretching for light. jmo

420ponics

frostyy420 said:
Looking good. Will be following this one. I have always kepts fluoros right above seedlings(1-2" above). Dont want them stretching for light. jmo

HEY!!!! That might be my problem! I have 2 that are falling over! I just made a post about it in a new thread! Also I have two that are stunted in their growth! I am getting an HPS in the next 2 weeks! I may have to start all of thise bullshit over! Dude, I am so glad you said something about them stretching for light! I amabout to lower it RIGHT NOW!!!!! THANKS! I bet that's it! Makes sense!

Ponics.

420ponics

Alright, a new setup. My light is MUCH more concentrated now. I am holding the fallen plants up with a couple of twist ties. My light has been lowered a ton. I removed the far away light in the room, it put more light in the room but I want the plants to grow towards one light! Anyway, the pics speak for themselves. I'll keep you all updated so many of you won't make the same mistakes I have thus far! Keep growing!

Ponics.

shrike

420ponics

From the pic of the full container with the sides that are bulging to the point of splitting wide open.

I suggest you empty the container and when the sides return to normal then simply get a couple strips of fibreglass tape and tape the sides to eachother across the top (opening)of the container, such that it doesn't interfere with the plant nets, then filler up again.

I'd hate to see you flood your grow.

Looks good other than that.

420ponics

Hey Shrike, I've decided that I'm going to put them in 2 10 gallon resevoirs like my other grow that I have going on. My setup is cool and everything, but I think the 10 gallon deal will work alot better. I like the 5 gallons per plant idea, but one plant for ever 3 and a third should do just fine. Now I just have to wait until I can be stealth about moving all of this shit in and out of the place.

Ponics.

Last edited:

radium-

420ponics: You seem to keep ignoring everyone when they mention your res flexing like its about to explode all over your floor..LOL. Go to wal-mart and buy a new rubbermaid dude one that is durable and not rubberlike. Spend the 15$ for two new rubbermaids and set those woobly things on fire and never speak of them again. Just my opinion :)

PS: Where did you get that res thermometer and how much? it looks pretty cool wouldnt mind having one myself that displayed current temp :)

Last edited:

420ponics

Hey guys, I had to do away with the old setup! I didn't like it, it wasn't working, there were a few light leaks and algae in the res. I am now using 3 10 gallon tubs with no flex and better bubbles for each plant : ) I've been workin on this shit for like 4 hours, but here ya go. Just check out the pics. I'll have an HPS soon but all of these floros have to do for now.

radium, go to your local major mechandiser, sorry, I don't like to say where I purchase things from ; )

Ponics.

G

Very nice improvement! Your floros are great for right now. Just save up for a nice light and hood.
Also those heat lamp reflectors might have had something to do w/ the young ones falling over. Floros dont let out that much heat but inside those reflectors it heats up. I would say loose the reflectors and put your lights as close as possible.

420ponics

Steady Smokin said:
Very nice improvement! Your floros are great for right now. Just save up for a nice light and hood.
Also those heat lamp reflectors might have had something to do w/ the young ones falling over. Floros dont let out that much heat but inside those reflectors it heats up. I would say loose the reflectors and put your lights as close as possible.

Good idea! It's hot as hell in that room! I have 2 fans but now the res temp are mid 70's and the room is in the 80's! I don't want that all over the plants =/

Ponics.

G

420ponics said:
I have 2 fans but now the res temp are mid 70's and the room is in the 80's!

Res temps should be in the low 70's or the 60's(I'd keep em int he 60's to be safe) There are a couple differnt ways to cool the res. You can put some frozen 2 liters into your res when they climb abouve 73 abd that willl drop you to the 60's(depending on how many gal. you have to cool)
You can ut your air pumps outside of your grow room where it gets some cool air. Outside air would be the best(if its cold where you live)

Keeping low res temps and keeping everything sterile is the best prevention of infections and deseases(Root rot).

420ponics

Steady Smokin said:
Res temps should be in the low 70's or the 60's(I'd keep em int he 60's to be safe) There are a couple differnt ways to cool the res. You can put some frozen 2 liters into your res when they climb abouve 73 abd that willl drop you to the 60's(depending on how many gal. you have to cool)
You can ut your air pumps outside of your grow room where it gets some cool air. Outside air would be the best(if its cold where you live)

Keeping low res temps and keeping everything sterile is the best prevention of infections and deseases(Root rot).

Yep. I have already been doing the cold bottle thing for a while. Obviously I didn't make it up ha! I have a few other ideas as well involving some fans, but I'll have to see what I can come up with. My res temps are usually in the high 60's to 70's with atmospheric temps around 72-75. I have to figure some things out with this new system.

Ponics.

420ponics

I wrote this in a private message to someone and figured I might as well post my whole set up here. Well most of it at least.

Alright here is the rundown. I have 3 10 gallon sterilite containers which I have light proofed with duct tape (around the container itself) and black extra wide electrical tape over the container top. I used a box cutter to cut the holes for my 3 inch net pots. Of course when cutting the holes for the net pots be sure to trace the net pot and then cut on the inside of the circle which you have drawn s the lip of the pot will catch the container tops edges. I have 2 5 inch airstone bubble bars in the bottom of each container which I have hot glued to keep them in place. Be sure to seal the edges surrounding the bar so no water will get underneath the bubble bar. I have one dual outlet airpump for each resevoir. I run one line to each airstone. I currently have 6 lights in my room. One T12 4 foot fixture sitting in the corner (had it from a previous setup, but it is not needed). I also have 5 floros hanging on a chain which I have drapped across my closet. There are 4 sunbulbs and one bulb with a redish hue (I forget what it's called) I have accurite themometers and relative humidity gauges for each resevoir. I have one oscillating clip fan above all of the plants turned on high and I have one personal sized fan on one side of the plants blowing across them all at their level. I leave my oscillating fan on and night as well as the bubblers. My lights turn off (I have a cheap timer) after 18 hours. Currently running 18/6. I have mylar all around the room and a black plastic sheet infront of the door when you open it (like a curtain) so no light can get in during lights off, if I have light on in the room outside of the closet. I also have mylar on that black sheeting. Be sure to have NO light leaks in your res, as algae will form very quickly, especially once you add nutes. NO! light leaks! I use rockwool and hydroton as my medium. I guess that about covers it. Just refer back to my previous posts in this thread for the pics ; )
Ponics.

radium-

radium, go to your local major mechandiser, sorry, I don't like to say where I purchase things from ; )

Can you at least give me a brand name or something? LOL its not illegal to buy thermometers no need to paranoid..

420ponics

Alright guys, I've finall got my HPS in, it's a 600 watter and puts out a TON of heat. I also purchased a room AC unit to help keep the temps down. I've been putting frozen bottles of water in the resevoirs to help keep the temps down in there as well. Right now I'm testing out this HPS with the door cracked to see what kind of temps I get with the AC unit installed. Right now my rest temps are in the mid to high 70's and the air temps are in the mid 80's - 102!!! Yikes! My relative humidity is down from 40 - 45 to about 27...not cool. I have a bucket filled with water and a rag acting as a wick sitting in it. It did help up the points a a little bit...but that was before I got this beastly HPS! =/ I guess I could get a humidifier, but damn, it's loud enough as it is and this is supposed to be a stealth grow...IE, person I live with won't know about it! It's already making a shit ton of noise!

Ponics.

Pics! (the plants are VERY green, the HPS makes them look yellowish. The big bushy LSTed plants in the middle are a WWxBB and a skunk).

A cool pic...hrmmm I wonder what's lurking behind that door? Looks like heaven!

G

btw get those mirrors out of there..there pointless..if you really want to consintrate the light..find a sweet spot on the distance. I used to have a chart for HPS fixtures.

here it is (dosent include heat)

Last edited:

420ponics

Steady Smokin said:
btw get those mirrors out of there..there pointless..if you really want to consintrate the light..find a sweet spot on the distance. I used to have a chart for HPS fixtures.

here it is (dosent include heat)

Haha, yeah those mirrors are in there for storage, not the grow, I just needed somewhere to put them seeing I never hung them up. I'll take a look at that chart when I get a chance, thanks.

Ponics.

420ponics

The kids are coming along nicely. They should be ready to LST within the next week. That HPS made the biggest difference. I'm still having some heating issues, and I have modded my room probably 10 ways to see which way will cool it most effeciently. I think I have finally found it. I have a couple of pics in here, the big plants in the middle are my WWxBB and Skunk so don't pay those any attention. I want you all to check out the mutant leaf! It's splits in the middle. I have seen read threads about mutant plants before. Oh yeah, they are all eating very well as of yesterday with a PPM of about 230 something. Lucas.

Ponics.

mutant leaf

mutant leaf 2

group shot

Last edited: