What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AirPots vs regular cups/pots

Carraxe

Veteran
Awesome!

I think that coco smartpots would make good use of an automatic watering, because they would dry faster. But as you guys have shown the result is fantastic.

I will no doubt have a closer look at this since I think I can make some arrangement for my needs, but I am hand watering for sure.

I understand that it is better to have little size pots (and water them many times a day) than to have big pots and water once or every other day. Using smartpots takes it to the extreme, since they support bigger plants in the same pot sizes.

Thanks and sweet smokes

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
NICE THREAD so you think that basically air pots are around 3x more productive than regular pots?

Personally, without any empirical data, I would say it's about a 20-25% increase. I've been using them for the past couple years and love them. I like them for a lot of reasons tho.. quick break down and reset, grow bigger plants in smaller pots and compact storage when not in use.

mgk :tiphat:

Jbonez

Veteran
NICE THREAD so you think that basically air pots are around 3x more productive than regular pots?

Im pretty indifferent either way, to be honest I yield the same with grow bags as I did airpots.. I think airpots serve a specific function, tho increasing yields is not exactly one of them... Its nearly impossible to become rootbound during the plants life cycle, at least to the point stress is induced.. More of a marketing gimmick, when I sold airpots as a retailer, I noticed a severe decline in sales when I brought them to the game in the south after everyone used them.. Just too expensive for no real returns.. jmo, but what do I know...:ying:

Phychotron

I think the small 'aircells' (1L) are the most beneficial, as they can prep the plant for transplant better, no swirling at the bottom, but lots of tips coming out, as you can see in the picture above. Easy to remove from the container, but I forget the bottom on at least one and have to dig it out.

The larger one's are more of a preference than an growth enhancer. Its a rigid container instead of a soft cloth one. The plants life cycle is too short for it to make a difference when compared to cloth. I like the fact that they are lifted off the ground so the bottom has a chance to dry out. I have to use ring stands for the bags... but oh well.

I use all coco with blumats in cloth now and they are rocking it. They don't get the medium wet enough for it to make a huge difference. Switching to airpots would be pointless.

I also mentioned that they seem indestructible, but i noticed that the plastic is prone to cracking at points, more so at the screw hole.

N

noyd666

:biggrin: not air but cloth smart pots 3 gal doing quite well, even when wet while raining they still feel lighter than plastic pot with same plant, coco and perlite in this tree pot.:blowbubbles:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Hang a piece of hessian around your outdoor smartpots just to protect and insulate them.. It makes a difference and stops UV for longer life of the pot. Your plants look fat! Hey wait.. what is that haha

N

noyd666

Hang a piece of hessian around your outdoor smartpots just to protect and insulate them.. It makes a difference and stops UV for longer life of the pot. Your plants look fat! Hey wait.. what is that haha
:biggrin: no its not one o dem smokies:ying: its adenanthos sericeus silver streak,an upright form of the woolybush. i willtrade for almost finished white widow smoker tree.:tumbleweed:

jayd

was thinking of getting a few 1ltr airputs if my clones root. have grown using 10ltr, 15ltr also a 37 ltr airpot before. my friend got 12oz dry weight from a long vegged plant in the 37 ltr airpot. am trying 6 ltr airpots at the moment. the males i got rid of had loads of roots developed after only a 4 week veg and 10 days 12/12, so they were only in the 6ltr pots for 24 days as i transplanted them into them after 2 weeks in a small normal pot

jayd

just got rid of a male plant. heres some pics of the roots. vegged for 2 weeks in a 4inch square pot then transplanted into a 6ltr airpot were it had another 2 weeks veg and then 2 weeks of 12/12

Attachments

• roots 002.JPG
    roots 002.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 57
  • roots 004.JPG
    roots 004.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 51
  • roots 005.JPG
    roots 005.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 54
  • roots 003.JPG
    roots 003.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 55

RetroGrow

Veteran
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hempy buckets with coco blow away airpots, smartpots, or any other kind of pot. Not even close. I gave my airpots away, as Hempys yield at least twice as much, if not three times, if done right, ie., watered daily to run off to inject fresh oxygen to the mix.
Do a side by side with them and you will see for yourself. Nothing simpler or more productive. And they are MUCH cheaper. 2 gallons is all you need for 8 to 13 zip plants with decent veg time, although they do get a bit top heavy in two gallon buckets so be careful not to let them tip over.

beerad102

from my personal experience, i don't typically sprout seeds in those mini airpots but i always use for clones with nice results. I grow them to about 10" before transferring to my 2gal airpots. if i sprout seeds in cups, i move to 1galloon pots relatively soon. thats just how I do it and i have done alot of side by side. I really don't think you could convince me not to use the .8 liter airpots for clones; they are cheap you cannot go wrong. They are also ergonomic; they unroll off the root mass when transplanting to make it easy and carefree (no tearing of roots like you get transplanting with the cloth pots. two drawbacks i find with airpots price (bigger sizes only) the .8 ones for clones are cheap imho and you have to water more often they dry out quicker than normal pots.
basically be very careful so your clones don't dry up. oh and you have to water kinda slowly, a little at a time so it absorbs not giving runoff.

and from personal experience i do side by side all the time with these. i always use the .8 then 2gal. i dont have enough 5gals so i then mix plants between 5gal airpots and Smartpot brand and Roots brand and another brand fabric pots. Never have i had plants in the fabric pots look as vibrant as the ones in airpots b4 i transplant to 10 or 15 gal at start of 12/12. the fabric pot ones never grow quite as big and healthy. People say they don't notice enough difference.

This is my opinion yeh i wouldnt justify cost for commercial operation but yeah its a worthy investment if you are a patient looking to produce best quality meds you can for yourself.

Latest posts

Latest posts