What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air pots & Smart pots...

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Thats what i do, im actually using a different cheap fabric that i just had on hand, but i liek the fact i can make them to whatever size i want, so i can make them to fit the environment i have
Yeah,
It's just the weed fabric is so thin I am having to think of a way to reinforce the tops.
I think if I roll it on itself two or three times and sew that, then I got a solid lip.

But beware, I went back to soil and now a battle rages.
Underground RA came out like an Army from Mordor. I quickly got to Osgiliath, grabbed me bow and sprayed them fuckers down with Aza.

Now just have to send out Strider to find where they be coming from.
:blowbubbles:

woolybear

Veteran
I am using the Aurora Innovations Root Pots made out of fabric. They are the lowest price for smart pots the last time I checked.

I can confirm that the root pots made my plants a solid root ball with no root circling or dead roots. They are also reusable.

RecommendeD!

ijim

Has anyone tried to directly transplant a smaller pot into a larger one? Will roots grow through the bag with the right environment? As say with using coco pots.

bobblehead

Veteran
Has anyone tried to directly transplant a smaller pot into a larger one? Will roots grow through the bag with the right environment? As say with using coco pots.

yes, why wouldn't they? The roots grow through the bag and are air-pruned... if they're surrounded by coco, well then they won't be air-pruned...

WasntMe

I was going to upgrade to smartpots but after looking at the pros and cons of each I decided that Airpots were better suited for my style and situation.

With my setup I have to move my plants around a lot. The smartpots don't have the side rigidity that I would prefer. I found that I disturbed the roots a little with the amount of moving I have to do. Also it would have made it more of a pain to continue using a mod scrog setup unless I was going to redesign my screen construction and mounting.

So I ultimately chose to go the airpot route and have been very happy with them.

wdcf

try it for yourself if you don't believe...

...Because I do not have the funds :tiphat: but has anyone done a side by side experiment? I am not doubting it, I just have never seen a clone vs clone one in air pots, one not and seen the results.....

Other than yield have you guys noticed any other differing factors like reduced flowering time?

bobblehead

Veteran
...Because I do not have the funds :tiphat: but has anyone done a side by side experiment? I am not doubting it, I just have never seen a clone vs clone one in air pots, one not and seen the results.....

Other than yield have you guys noticed any other differing factors like reduced flowering time?

the pot isn't going to change the flowering time... The only thing that's going to do that is decrease light hours.

Search threads started by Weird Jimmy. He did a side by side.

I don't need to do a side by side. I've witnessed the enhanced performance first hand. If the medium can dry out faster, then you can water it again sooner. The plants don't get root-bound, so the root ball can get much bigger than in a traditional pot... Personally, I like to focus on cultivating nice healthy roots. The rest follows. Roots=buds.

You don't need to switch over all at once... but you do get a better ticket buying in bulk. Look for gro pots on ebay. I got my #5's for like $2.50 a piece... you're telling me you can't afford to buy a few pots each cycle? eventually replacing all of them...

:wave:

compost

My 3 gallon smart pots performed just about as well as my 5 gallon home depot buckets last run. In addition it was A LOT harder to get the root ball out of the smart pots compared to the bigger 5 gallon buckets.

Either way is very effective. A more even distribution of roots combined with a more mass eliminates some of the over watering in some of the root zone(the bottom) well reducing the drying out of the top portion of the container.

wdcf

the pot isn't going to change the flowering time... The only thing that's going to do that is decrease light hours.

Search threads started by Weird Jimmy. He did a side by side.

I don't need to do a side by side. I've witnessed the enhanced performance first hand. If the medium can dry out faster, then you can water it again sooner. The plants don't get root-bound, so the root ball can get much bigger than in a traditional pot... Personally, I like to focus on cultivating nice healthy roots. The rest follows. Roots=buds.

You don't need to switch over all at once... but you do get a better ticket buying in bulk. Look for gro pots on ebay. I got my #5's for like $2.50 a piece... you're telling me you can't afford to buy a few pots each cycle? eventually replacing all of them...

:wave:

I Appreciate your knowledge!

S

Señor Chang

Do you think that net-pots would act in a similar way to air-pots if you intentionally used them that way?

wdcf

Possibly the worst question ever.............
There is virtually no need to use vermiculite or perlite when using air pots right??
(I use vermiculite for the aeration qualities, but it would be unnecessary if switched over to air pots right)

Do you think that net-pots would act in a similar way to air-pots if you intentionally used them that way?
Yes. I am using one now as a test and it does exactly the same thing without question.
I believe the net-pots have one advantage in you can veg in them and then place the whole pot in a bigger container for flowering without disturbing the roots.

S

Señor Chang

That great news it's working out!
I'll have to run a couple different sizes and see what there is to see.
Thanks for the heads up.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Possibly the worst question ever.............
There is virtually no need to use vermiculite or perlite when using air pots right??
(I use vermiculite for the aeration qualities, but it would be unnecessary if switched over to air pots right)
If you are running organics and trying to build up the soil food web, those coarser materials form little pockets of air, moisture, and surface area where the beneficial bacteria and such can thrive.

Kinda like how a canyon can be all desert rock on top, but when you get into it all sorts of life springs forth.
:blowbubbles:

Here is a couple of pics.

You can see the plant is nice and healthy and plenty of growth.

There aren't a lot of roots sticking out everywhere as they have been air-pruned.

These roots are there due to the saucer catching the run-off.

wdcf

I am planning on using 2 gallon smart pots for veg then transplanting to 5 gallon smart pots for flowering....That should not cause any issues I am assuming :)

Latest posts

Latest posts