What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air pots & Smart pots...

Super.Seeds

ICMag Donor
I thought about the airpots but was afraid that coco would fall out of the bottom grate and get into my E&F system. I bought 2 gal smart pots and after looking at them close, returned them for Geo pots. I didn't like that the smart pots were flimsy, thin, the top wasn't stitched and they didn't have handles. The geopots I got were custom sized to fit a 2x4 E&F tray (and around the fittings in the middle). The Geo pots are a little thicker, have handles sewn on, are stitched with heavy duty marine thread (double stitched and around the top too)...Heavy duty and more durable than a SP but still extremely breathable. The handles really are amazing and make life easy when moving them around. I switched from plastic "perfect pots" and have definitely seen an increase in yield and overall happiness of my plants (from 2 gal PP to 2 gal Geo Pot). The Geo pots are all touching but rarely do they get attached to each other and if they do its one small root. Bigger plants with the same size container every time. Had small geo pots made for my veg room that have velcro down one side for easy transplanting into the larger pots. Price was comparable to the SPs, maybe even a lil cheaper. Haven't tried to wash them yet but when it comes time I'll throw them all in a mesh bag and put them in the washer on low with some hygrozyme or something. lol The only REAL problem I've run into is what to do with all of my old plastic pots!!

SS

EDIT:
-70/30 coco/perlite in E&F with the Geo pots and a modified rez formula.

Last edited:
S

Señor Chang

If you are worried about coco falling out the bottom of your air pot you can try:
1. coco mat at the bottom
2. sheet of newspaper, nylon, burlap etc
3. hold the bottom of the air-pot with your outstretched palm pressing into the plastic web circle and pack the dickens out of the first layer of coco you pour in.

For those of you that want the Hempys effect, placing your pot in a drip tray like Bob Hope and/or bottom feeding works out nicely.

With coco I find that 1 or 2 gallon is all you need in an indoor set-up.
Granted I have blumats so the coco never gets dry.
I have run 2 seed plants in a DR80 with a horizontal 400 and yielded over 7.5z with just one of the plants.
You can get big in small air pruning containers.

I have never tried smart pots but I think the differences are negligible.
Its just what makes sense to you and your garden.
HushemFlup's idea about just using burlap in a frame makes a lot of sense.
So do net pots...
or spent carbon filters : )

Lastly if you get those 1 liter air cells, you can easily remove the pot and transplant into a larger airpot (or regular pot like Grape Man suggests) with little difficulty.

At the end of the day, the addition of air pruning containers are a fantastic addition to the hobby.

Euphrates

I've read of people getting really decent results from the 2 gallon. Are the 3 gallon sp's anymore or less maintenance as far as watering goes, are the difference's in performance significant ?

If someone wanted to skip transplanting and go right into a 2 or 3 gallon smartpot - what problems might they run into ?

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I can't remember how big of a gap the bottom of airpots have but you could put some hydroton at the base, it will help with evaporation as well if put on top and bottom.

HGO

Euphrates

Hey- Thanks, that was really fast HGO

I have both the 2 and 3 gal.s - I've only gotten to use the 2 gal.s once, and that was some time ago. They don't really look to much bigger from one another, they have a difference of a inch in diameter, with maybe about 2 1/2" difference in height. Also my 3 gal. has handles .. - YESH

I noticed the 2 gallons needed watering every three days usually, I wonder if the 3's are any different -

Thanks Again -

mrcreosote

Veteran
Ah make mah own airpots with 5 gallon poly-whatchacallit bukits and a full auto AK-74.

Don't take but a lil bit to git er done.

I shakes the lead out tho. It can make yer dumb, so they say.

rrog

Veteran
Hello Laylow. I just posted in your grow thread regarding bluemat watering from a hose. I'm doing the same shortly.

I just completed my second grow where I was pumping a great deal of humidified air into the soil from below. Made great sense at the time. Now I'm trying a different soil grow and instead of pumping air, I'm turning plastic pails into smart pots by drilling holes and removing a lot of the plastic from the pail. Lining with landscape fabric.

IC Mag member Hobbes documented this with very compelling grow trials and comparisons.

So I'm getting much more air than a normal pail grow but not going to the extreme of pumping it. My gut tells me I'll be very satisfied.

Latest posts

Latest posts