What's new

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Hmm. it looks pretty interesting. That is a bad photo though . . .

Is that a cool tube that runs down the middle of the reflector? That seems like a neat idea . . .

onegreenday

Veteran
onegreenday-- pl is one of the brands I really wanted to put up against the bell and supersun 2 which reflector style will you be testing.

imadoofus- which reflector style do you own

im not sure but I think I tested a pl 1000watt deep but did not have a midi, maxima or delta available to me. looking forward to the results

Pico was using a 3' X 3' grid with the 16 points;
so I figure his marks are 12" apart.

Is that the grid you use? thanks.

onegreenday

Veteran
The PL reflector is here on Page #3
http://www.maximumyield.com/assets/pdf/back_issues/usa/MY_USA_May_09_b.pdf

My PL Light System ARRIVED AND I tried
my 400 watt Phillips CMH bulb in the fixture.

It fit in ok but the CMH arc tube was 1.5" back from
the sweet spot of the reflector (the center)
and I was getting lousy light distribution.

They have 3 sets of holes to locate the socket
but I was still 1.5" back from where
the center is located.

I had to modify my new $170. reflector
to get the CMH arc in the right spot but
I think it may be worth it.

Tommorrow I do final alignment of arc tube,
then I'll run the new lamp 100 hours before I test
it.

This lamp only puts out 30,000 lumens
so it won't match other tested systems.

Kinda foolish to even test really............

EDIT: Would it be fair to triple (3X) the footcandle
reading for the 400 CMH
since the 600 HPS puts out 90K lumens??

Has anyone here ever used or know anyone using Ultragrow 6's (or 8's) of course they claim to be the best . . . https://www.ultralohydro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=81 really, I'm looking for something that is high quality / value and I know I can hook up to my quantum ballast's without any additional wiring - it's not the wiring that bothers me but I have had trouble getting into the socket before and would rather not deal with it. I know someone said the ss2 coulb be used with the quantum did you get it to work jumpinjack.- done with cool tubes.

jump /injack

Veteran
Has anyone here ever used or know anyone using Ultragrow 6's (or 8's) of course they claim to be the best . . . https://www.ultralohydro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=81 really, I'm looking for something that is high quality / value and I know I can hook up to my quantum ballast's without any additional wiring - it's not the wiring that bothers me but I have had trouble getting into the socket before and would rather not deal with it. I know someone said the ss2 coulb be used with the quantum did you get it to work jumpinjack.- done with cool tubes.

After calling the company I bought from and talking to a rep, I mic'ed the male and female plugs. Found that the spec's were very close, on one plug it was tight by .015, cleaned out the hole and it worked, no problem with the Quantum and Super Sun 2. Very nice 'close' fit, check the holes if you buy this set up. Am pleased with the buy.

onegreenday

Veteran
The only cootube I have around currently it inside the omega garden. Are you talking about the kind that has the reflective aluminum outside the cooltube, or just a cooltube with no reflector? Cooltubes deffinately are nice because of the laminar air flow. Probably won't be buying any cooltubes to test anytime soon.

Hey Pico since it's your thread is it fair to
triple my readings on a 400 watt CMH bulb (30,000 lumens)
compared to your 90,000 lumen 600 watt HPS.
Thanks.

onegreenday

Veteran
A fair comparison of my PL Delta reflector 400 watt CMH

against all the other 600 HPS that have been tested

so people can compare reflectors.

That's the reason for the thread I believe.

To inform readers of the best reflector.

I could put in a 400 HPS in the PL Delta

but that's not apples to apples either.

mikeross

I assume its far to say that the results would still be the same if you were using 600's instead of 1000's?

I am running 600w bulbs and leaning towards either the ss2 or magnum xxxl. So even with the 600w the magnum is the way to go if your looking for the biggest footprint?

onegreenday

Veteran
I assume its far to say that the results would still be the same if you were using 600's instead of 1000's?

I am running 600w bulbs and leaning towards either the ss2 or magnum xxxl. So even with the 600w the magnum is the way to go if your looking for the biggest footprint?

not possible. the lamp outputs r way different.

That took for ever all just to see people squabling over there favorite hood being the best I love my rad 8"s they're beast and do me just fine I had to modify my tents but I could never air cool three 600's without them thank you all for all the info it's was a hell of a ride thanks pico thanks darth you guys are true scholars and the core of a great online comunity

pico

Veteran
actually yes, the light output of two different 600w bulbs is different. Also, the light output of the same bulb in a different ballast is different. As is the same bulb over the course of its life.

So short answer is that there is no easy way to compare to the data posted here.

also, the SS2 still might be better for a 600w unless you were trying to cover a larger area with the 600w. Hard to say without doing a test, but if I had time to look at the data a little closer I could probably come up with an educated guess. Either one you choose will be a good one. For me, I would go with the XXXL for a 4x4 area or larger, and a SS2 for a 4x4 or less.