What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air Compressor Questions/Answers

Jeff at IR

Not all compressed air is created equal. This is a thread that will help to raise some questions and answer some questions about compressed air and the supporting equipment to make your equipment operation run smoothly. :beat-dead

Jeff at IR

What are you using the compressed air for?
The type of work being performed is probably the most important factor in determining compressor size.
- Do you intend to use air six hours per day / five days per week, or only occasionally?
- Are your demands for compressed air relatively constant during the day, or do they vary widely?
RESULT: Purchase a compressor designed for a duty-cycle which equals or exceeds the specified requirement.

Jeff at IR

Where will the compressor be located?
Outdoor applications require special protection against water and freezing. Indoors, sufficient ventilation is crucial for successful operation since most reciprocating compressors and smaller rotary compressors are air cooled.
Don’t put the compressor in a closet... for example.
Place the compressor at least three feet from the wall to ensure proper air flow and be sure the installation site is sufficiently ventilated to handle the heat generated by the compressor during operation.

Jeff at IR

How much pressure (PSI) do you require?
The PSI, or pounds per square inch, capability of a compressor must match or exceed the PSI requirement of your hungriest air tools and pneumatic equipment. Check the manufacturer’s specifications and pressure requirements for all of your equipment.

Jeff at IR

How much air flow (CFM) do you require?
CFM, or cubic feet per minute, is the measure of air flow the compressor can create. CFM is stated in two different forms, piston displacement (PD) or actual cubic feet per minute (ACFM). Always consider the ACFM as it reflects the amount of usable air available for work in your operating conditions/location.
SCFM is CFM measured at sea level, 68 degrees F, and 0% humidity. When you elevation rises, your temperature rises, and humidity rises, the efficiency of any compressor goes down.

Jeff at IR

What motor horsepower do you require?
Horsepower is directly proportional to the SCFM rating of a compressor; typically, the higher the horsepower the more air (CFM) the compressor can produce. However, don’t rely solely on horsepower or attempt to buy the highest horsepower compressor you can afford. Let your ACFM and PSI requirements determine horsepower for you.

Jeff at IR

What are the electrical requirements of the installation?
Incoming electrical service is very important to identify and understand before purchasing a compressor. Voltage will determine the horsepower capacity available without expensive modifications. The standard voltage for homes is 110 volts. This voltage will only operate compressors up to three horsepower. In the United States, Canada and Mexico the following voltages and phases are available:
Single-Phase: 1. 110-1-60 2. 208-1-60 3. 230-1-60
Three-Phase: 1. 208-3-60 2. 230-3-60 3. 460-3-60 3. 575-3-60
NOTE: Always have a qualified electrician review electrical requirements prior to procuring an air compressor

Jeff at IR

Is a dryer in use or is one required?
A by product of compressed air is water. If a dryer is in use (or will be used), an aircooled aftercooler is mandatory to proper operation of the air dryer unless the dryer is a “high temperature” style dryer. If water is a concern, consider using a refrigerated air dryer as an option since aircooled aftercoolers will only remove a partial amount of water in the compression process. Dryers are sized similarly to Compressors with CFM and temperature adjustments.

Jeff at IR

Rotary Screw Compressors vs. Reciprocating Compressors
Advantages of Rotary Screw:
- Designed to Provide Pulsation-Free Air 24 Hours a Day
- 100% Continuous Duty
- Quiet Operation
- Energy Efficient at Full Load
- Extended Service Intervals
- Reliable Long Life
- Improved Air Quality

Jeff at IR

Reciprocating Compressor Applications
Due to the need for cooling, reciprocating compressors generally operate on a start and stop basis. The compressor will produce air until the cut-off pressure is reached. Upon reaching the cut-off pressure, the compressor will shut off and only restart when system air pressure falls to the cut-in or minimum set pressure

Applications which call for air on an intermittent basis are ideal for a reciprocating compressor. For instance, a service shop which utilizes air tools and lifts will need air only when the tools or lifts are in operation.

DemonTrich

Veteran
you must be from Ingersol Rand huh?

in 4+ yrs of being on grow forums, never has a topic of air compressors been brought up. 80% of growers don't have or use an air compressor on a weekly or even use one period. a mechanic or body man (like myself) use it daily or at least every other day.

I have an 80gal 2 stage with a 6.5hp pump, custom made water separator, and I use it year round, no matter how cold it is in my garage.

Jeff at IR

you must be from Ingersol Rand huh?

in 4+ yrs of being on grow forums, never has a topic of air compressors been brought up. 80% of growers don't have or use an air compressor on a weekly or even use one period. a mechanic or body man (like myself) use it daily or at least every other day.

I have an 80gal 2 stage with a 6.5hp pump, custom made water separator, and I use it year round, no matter how cold it is in my garage.

DemonTrich, I am and don't hide that fact. I get 4-5 inquiries a week for compressors for not just extraction equipment but grow house equipment. One of the pieces that my clients use specifically are the pneumatically driven Haskell pumps. There is a complete thread dedicated to the topic of which there were multiple comments/questions about the air needed to operate, etc. Thanks for reading!

DemonTrich

Veteran
My bad, most people who advertise their company and products pay a fee to the site. Nothing in life is free, except the air you breathe. And soon we'll be paying for that right as well.

But I do own quite a few IR tools, 3" polisher, sander, da x 2, and a bunch of other body shop air tools.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I can't stand spammers and people who post for the benefit of advertisement but this seems to be the honest angle of education on technologies used and the relativity to products in production.

Smart business knows how to use the spread of information to help create an informed and thus discriminating customer base.

Well see how it goes. I don't think IR sells direct, but this is an assumption. If so and he is really paid by IR direct, it is interesting to see a directive like this manifest.

snake11

I've ran two IR rotary compressors(a 5 and a 15) and never had issues. Everyone at their office was great too when ordering maintenance parts. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Thanks for joining the forum!

Jeff at IR

What would you recommend for GAS powered rotary screw air compressors? Im out in the sticks and 3 phase just wont work in our budget, were also using most of our current 200amp panel with a grow. I plan on running just one haskel a quick google lead me to this
http://www.summit-equipment-outlet....ss-bullet-2k-rotary-screw-air-compressor.html
Any suggestions??

From that link, that is a lot more air than you need. 1 Haskell runs best with 25 acfm (actual cfm based on elevation, temp, humidity). So this 25 HP is very oversized.

You can get a 7.5 HP rotary screw that will produce 25-30 scfm (depending on style) at sea level that is rated for 208/1 or 230/1. These will draw 51 or 50 amps (depending on Voltage) and an 80 Amp fuse is recommended.

The gas powered will work as you showed but you will have a lot of start/stops because it is so oversized.

I would recommend a 80 or 120 Gallon compressor and a refridgerated air dryer as well.

When all is said and done, it may be less expensive to buy a generator to power a TAS compressor (Total air station which included a compressor, dryer, and receiver.