What's new

ahhhhhhh the joy of snipe bidding on eBay!

BrainBoy

Hahahaha, you guys are noobs. Talking about the snipers being the losers who sit infront of the computer waiting for an auction to end.

More like I just set my program 2 days before the auction is over to bid with 5 seconds left. Then I just leave my computer on and let the program do the work for me.

Honestly why wouldn't I snipe? The system is there and someone is going to exploit it. If I'm not sniping then I'm probably getting sniped and fuck that.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Just bid what your willing to pay and leave it at that. Ebay will up your bid incrementally till it reaches your max amount.

newbgrow

"Bid what you're willing to pay" works if you know what you want, and is willing to pay a little more than must to get it. The problem is that there will always be assholes to bid up your item to make you pay more. Sniping works because you could decide whether you want to pay that premium.

I always decide how much I would be willing to pay max, but bid only at 50% or 75%, then do some last second bidding if necessary. The purpose is not to over-inflate the price too early. Keep it low. A lot of Ebay bidders are snipers, so you could get really good deals that way if you're lucky, and just out-snipe the sniper -- and keeping the price LOW.

Sammet said:
Snipe bidding is always going to happen when you have a timed auction just like Stoner4Life said, it's not a real auction.

I tend to buy my stuff off ebay using buy it now but sometimes I watch items with the intention of snipe bidding, but I always miss the end of the auction and end up with a load of emails in my inbox telling me I missed out.

Maybe they'll change the rules like they did with the feedback thing? I had my 100% (over 250 feedback) feedback ruined by a seller who didn't like the fact that I left him neutral feedback for overcharging me on the postage. So he gave me negative feedback even though I was prompt with my payment and the model buyer.

Basically, there's always people who will try and get around the system. It's a shame, but it's been like that on ebay for the past 3-4 years.

Some prick did that to me too. I was at 100% for years, and then left a negative for a seller who hit me with a retaliatory negative. Asswipe brought me down to 98%. I had like 2000 transactions but only the last 12 mos. count so his transaction was worth 2%. Ebay suxxxxx :fsu: Then in May the change the policy so sellers can't do that shit anymore.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
zeeba amoeba said:
Some prick did that to me too. I was at 100% for years, and then left a negative for a seller who hit me with a retaliatory negative. Asswipe brought me down to 98%. I had like 2000 transactions but only the last 12 mos. count so his transaction was worth 2%. Ebay suxxxxx :fsu: Then in May the change the policy so sellers can't do that shit anymore.
I think that eBay has erased/forgiven all negatives from sellers to buyers. I'm back to 100% after yrs of a lesser rating due to one blemish.

I'd instructed a seller on how to properly pack & ship a very expensive ($950 eBay price) coffee maker & I was promised presale that it would be shipped immediately as I needed it at a large catering event, shipped too late for me to use at my gig, shipped with the holding tanks full of water resulted in bent steel lines, leaking water caused the packaging to fall apart and for 3 switches to become fouled. I gave the seller a scathing shitty negative rep which was retaliated against by them in a neg rep to me who'd paid instantly via PayPal. So for yrs I had less than 100%. Suddenly about 30-40 days ago my rating was restored to 100%, perhaps it was due to the fact that the seller who gave me that bad rep is no longer an eBay member in good standing.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The person who gave you neg rep must have de registered cos I've still got the negative feedback for complaining about 5 pound postage on a 2gb memory card. The person who gave me negative feedback unfortunately is a big power seller so no chance of mine disappearing soon :(

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sammet said:
The person who gave you neg rep must have de registered cos I've still got the negative feedback for complaining about 5 pound postage on a 2gb memory card. The person who gave me negative feedback unfortunately is a big power seller so no chance of mine disappearing soon :(
That must be it, funny thing is that they've been 'non-members' for about two yrs, but now with the buyers protection in place this type of situation seems to be forgiven. They had a miserable rating (bout 80&) by the time they were gone too.

Tirs

www.justsnipe.com I use this all the time, 5 free snipes every week :joint:

$86 for a vortex is a damn good price, thing is the manufacturer won't always honor warranties on stuff bought through ebay since these aren't official resellers.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SweetNightmare said:
I got a scale for a penny and a few bucks for shipping a few years ago... I sat on it though...
ok, you sat on it and now it's hatched.......
makes sense to me.

EDIT: I also bought a cheap scale on eBay & it works great, very accurate.

Last edited:
G

Nice thread

Nice thread

Hey stoner I am like u and love snipe bidding and been so busy i forot about ebay ........hmmm guess I need to do some looking to see if there is anything I need there ...TY for the reminder :laughing:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tronic said:
www.esnipe.com

all your ebay needs solved here
I joined up today & set my price for an RV I'd like to buy because I'll be at the MOONDANCE JAM (www.moondancejam.com) Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat.......
four daze n nights of rock n roll.

I'll see how well esnipe works soon enough.......
sure hope I bid enough on this motorcoach.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just sniped me a macro ring flash for my camera :D

19008298_400x400.jpg

MyAssIsGrass

?_?
Veteran
I sniped myself an iPhone recently, it was the first time I had been on ebay in months. Waited until there was about 20 seconds left then :asskick:

:sasmokin:

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
my max bid on an item when i used a snipe program was the price it sold for ....but i didnt win???? they gave some crappy excuse in the automated loosing response email.

in the end it was good i lost cause i got a better product in the end elsewhere .HH. =]-~

Stoner4Life said:
I think that eBay has erased/forgiven all negatives from sellers to buyers. I'm back to 100% after yrs of a lesser rating due to one blemish.

I'd instructed a seller on how to properly pack & ship a very expensive ($950 eBay price) coffee maker & I was promised presale that it would be shipped immediately as I needed it at a large catering event, shipped too late for me to use at my gig, shipped with the holding tanks full of water resulted in bent steel lines, leaking water caused the packaging to fall apart and for 3 switches to become fouled. I gave the seller a scathing shitty negative rep which was retaliated against by them in a neg rep to me who'd paid instantly via PayPal. So for yrs I had less than 100%. Suddenly about 30-40 days ago my rating was restored to 100%, perhaps it was due to the fact that the seller who gave me that bad rep is no longer an eBay member in good standing.

No, it's because that incident occurred > 12 months ago, so it's been wiped from your rating calculation.

I'm still at 98% but moving up because I'm getting positives. But will I try and sell my gold necklaces? Probably not, because who wants to buy gold with somebody who has only a 98% rating. So I will have to wait a year or so on that. But I'm wearing the gold anyway. Maybe next year, the U.S. dollar will be worth less, and gold more. Our economy has been "Bush-whacked."

Stoner4Life said:
ok, you sat on it and now it's hatched.......
makes sense to me.

:laughing:

Stoner4Life said:

EDIT: I also bought a cheap scale on eBay & it works great, very accurate.

Me 2
It helped me check up on certain of my dealers. Plus, someone on ICMAG taught me that a U.S. nickel weighs 5 grams even. So I can verify the accuracy.

Kinimod

Props man :) I've never worked with ebay, but I suppose if I plan on making a discount stealth box... I should look into getting my supplies from there.

J

Jack Crevalle

I'm still at 98% but moving up because I'm getting positives. But will I try and sell my gold necklaces? Probably not, because who wants to buy gold with somebody who has only a 98% rating.

Uh, did I miss something? Why wouldn't someone buy from a seller with hundreds of reps and only 1 or 2 negatives? I don't get that...I don't have any problems, unless your negatives were due to misrepresenting carrots or something similar...and I also think only positive rep can be given from sellers is such bullshit, I've gotten ripped off by buyers before or had stupid shit happened and can't leave them negative or even neutral feedback? Stupid..

and this whole snipe thing, I had a friend who swore by it, but once I used ebay frequently I saw that it only works if the bid on the screen is the highest bid that user entered. This is usually never the case though, people usually bid much higher than the posted bid and ebay automatically outbids others until your highest bid is beat, making the so called "snipe" useless...so it isn't the silver bullet as you imply..

and on another note, my opinion and findings are that a rule of thumb is that most items on Ebay sell for half their retail price. Of course there are always exceptions and great finds as well as bad deals, but generally selling or buying, you can expect to at least get/pay half of what the value is...
edit: the drawbacks being limited or no warranties, returns/exchanges, crooks, and the risk of defects or less than advertized products..

Last edited:

newbgrow

As an aside, gold jewelry are marked up anywhere between 100% and 1000% compared to just plain gold blocks, so the dollar falling isn't likely to make gold necklaces worth more hehe

Latest posts

Latest posts