What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
This is the archived page of The African Seeds Company.

Click on: "Listing of Strains/Prices" at the bottom of the page. That's what real sativa landrace strains used to look like.

Too bad they're not around anymore. They were a company from Johannesburg, South Africa. They shut down about the same time Marc Emery was arrested and Overgrow was shut down.

Seeds they had available:

Swazi 'Rooi bart'
Swazi Skunk
Durban Poison
Durban Poison natural
Transkei Green
Malawi Gold
Kariba Surprise
Zambian Copper
Ethiopian Highland
Tanzanian Magic

Unreleased strains:

Zambezi Valley/Batoka people
Northern Zambia
DRC
Northern Mozambique
Lesotho
Madagascar

----------------------------

Interesting report from "Kenny Dopesmoker" at Overgrow, on Zambian Copper from African Seeds:

With this strain curing has got to be at LEAST 6 - 7 weeks, and I'll tell you why, as I cured it i checked it daily (smoked for potency) from 4 weeks on, and it was nice, but it was only mild, I could smoke 1 joint after another and still want more thinking I'm building up a tolerance....BUT all that changes at about 7 weeks curing, it's like a switch a has been flicked, one day it's a nice mild smoke, then the next....WALLOP, both of them were the same in terms of curing for ages and then out of the blue it just kicks in.

The high of this weed is different to say the least, well to me it is anyway, the 73 day plant was pretty trippy, and at one point felt like I was on poppers, head pounding, along with my heart, body buzz, quite intense, but pleasant, but the 90 dayer was all in the head, hardly any body buzz at all and the high lasts for a good 2 - 3 hours, more of a daydreamer weed, but still trippy, good daytime smoke.

onlinepot

Zambian Copper Seeds from African Seeds

Grower reports: 1 Viewed: 50,202 times
Rated by 1 user: 7.14/10
'Zambian Copper' from African Seeds
Lineage: Not Listed
Family: Unknown or mixed family
Origin: Not Listed
Region: Not Listed
Genotype: Not Listed
Indoor Maturation: 70 to 75 days
Outdoor Maturation: Not Listed
Sex Possibilities: Standard (M/F)
Stature: Not Listed
Yield: Not Listed
Odor Level: Not Listed
Odor Description: Not Listed
Taste Level: Not Listed
Taste Description: Not Listed

Breeder's Description - 'Zambian Copper'

Like the metal that gave Zambia its life blood,Zambian copper gave the country its character Grown widely across the plateau regions of the copper belt, this is a substrain similar to Malawi but faster flowering. Large branched plants, darker foliage, buds laden with white/red tipped hairs, very large resin coated seed pouches (calyx). Strong Kick-Ass high similar to Malawi. Does better in cooler outdoor areas than the Malawi Gold.

Grower Report - Kenny dope smoker on February 1, 2005, 2:15 pm
Zambian Copper from African Seeds rated 7.14

Overall Rating: 7 Effect: Somewhat heady
Potency: 9 Stature: Very tall and lanky
Yield: 8 Phenotype: Sativa
Ease: 8 Indoor: Varied maturation times
Appearance: 7 Outdoor: Not Listed
Odor Level: 3 Odor: Sweet pinecone smell with skunky undertones
Taste Level: 7 Taste: Like it smells
Grower's Tilt: 8 Sexes: Standard (M/F)
SI Rating: Not Listed Vintage: Not Listed

I germed 4 seeds, all sprouted within 48 hours and when planted grew fast with no problems, under the fluros for 12 days then they went under the 400w MH for veg.

I didn't have any problems in veg and they grew quite vigorously, topping at the 3rd node twice for 4 top colas, allowing the 4 lower branches from the 1st an 2nd node to grow up to the same height as the top soon to be colas.
These plants are very tolerant of ferts, these got full strength nutes after a week in veg and they just sucked it all up, 1 plant showed a tiny spot of burn but nothing to bother about, these 4 plants spent 19 days vegging under the MH growing to 10" - 13" (varied) before bieng triggered.

Once triggered they don't seem to stretch much in the first 5 days, but after they got themselves together they rocketed, showing sex at 10 - 12 days, 2 turned out to be males and they got the chop leaving just the 2 females, by 14 days in they were already around 30" tall, and they'd only just got started, trust me these things STRETCH like fuck, taking in full strength nutes again in flower they shot up and ended up around 55" - 60" tall, but it's easy to manage...by that I mean I: snapped it, bent it, burnt it, tied it and no matter what you do to it to manage it, it just keeps on smiling, trust me, this stuff really is a WEED!

To demonstrate how much these bitches stretch during flower, I've posted the pictures in order from just before triggering to harvest time to give you an idea of what to expect from this Sativa and how quick they shoot up, pics were taken every 5 days or so.

The first plant looked to have more indica traits than the second, which looked pure sativa and no mistake, with little 'foxtails' everywhere, you can see in the pictures of the grow the difference if you look closely, how dense the more indica looking plant is, compared to the pure sativa plant.

I fed them 2 feeds with nutes, 1 without nutes continueous up until 45 days, then flushed for 5 days, adding the PK 13 - 14 at around 50 days before flushing the rest of the way.

In the end the more compact (indica looking) plant finished at 73 days, 80% red hairs and the trichs nice and cloudy, but the second plant took 90 days to finish and could have gone longer too, but I already liked the look of her as she was and hacked her.

I hung the first one up for 14 days then chopped off all the bud and cured for a further 14 days on foil in a low temp/humidity room and put it all in tubs/jars for a further 3 weeks or so, but the 90 day plant was left hanging for 23 days, then chopped off the bud and put it straight into tubs for another 24 days, but the results for this strain are wierd...

With this strain curing has got to be at LEAST 6 - 7 weeks, and I'll tell you why, as I cured it i checked it daily (smoked for potency) from 4 weeks on, and it was nice, but it was only mild, I could smoke 1 joint after another and still want more thinking I'm building up a tolerance....BUT all that changes at about 7 weeks curing, it's like a switch a has been flicked, one day it's a nice mild smoke, then the next....WALLOP, both of them were the same in terms of curing for ages and then out of the blue it just kicks in.

The high of this weed is different to say the least, well to me it is anyway, the 73 day plant was pretty trippy, and at one point felt like I was on poppers, head pounding, along with my heart, body buzz, quite intense, but pleasant, but the 90 dayer was all in the head, hardly any body buzz at all and the high lasts for a good 2 - 3 hours, more of a daydreamer weed, but still trippy, good daytime smoke.

Overall this strain is very nice, with pretty good yields, I ended up with 2 - 2 1/2 oz each plant which I think is good for a Sativa, bearing in mind that they were under 1x400w sharing with 4 other plants in soil but if you want to grow this strain yourself, then you need the patience, and the ROOM to do it.

Garden Information for this report
Bloom Wattage Used: 260w to 400w
Average Plant Height: Not Listed
Plants per Sq. Foot: Not Listed
Average Yield per Plant: Not Listed
Pruning or Plant Style: Bush
Fertilization Method: Chemically fed

Light: 400w MH/HPS

2x extractor fans (in and out) with carbon filter

Soil: Canna coco soil

Nutes:Canna tera vega/flores

PK 13 - 14 booster.

Report added by: Kenny dope smoker

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
I used their Malawi Gold from an old pack 5 years ago to make a 3-way Malawi hybrid.
Only 2 seeds out of the 18 seed pack produced plants. The seeds were over 10 years old.
2 males are all I obtained from it. Luckily, a cob master sent me some seeds from a 2-way
Malawi hybrid in which I germinated a few and got 2 females to breed with.

The main thing is I saved the genetics in a pure Malawi hybrid. :dance013:

My Special Malawi Gold pedigree:

2 Malawi Gold (African Seeds) males X 2 ((Malawi Gold (Seeds of Africa) X Mulanje Gold (Holy Smokes)) females.

The African Seeds Malawi Gold males had a faint cinnamon musk like aroma not seen elsewhere.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Old quote by Derrayld (African Seeds Co) ;)

"I live and grow in a Coastel stretch called the Wild Coast where you will find Durban and the Transkei, 2 major growing regions in South Africa and the World.
So I am exposed to many different variaties of DP, Swazi, Kei, Malawi, Lesotho, etc.

Here is a simple run down of a few and best growing conditions:

The flowering times are generally longer and the plants will like their space more than a hybradised skunk for example which will grow smaller.
The highs all tend to be smooth, euphoric, crasy highs.
Bright colours, very enjoyeable.

Swazi-
tends to be a chunky bud or a long slender bud.
With big thick resinous buds ala Hashplant.
This bud grows with an unmistakeable hashy consistency and a deep hashy odour.
I`ve grown swazi that looks, tastes and smokes different.
You get your chunky orange buds, your dark green sticky buds, etc.
All good and all an awesome stoning.
I find swazi to be more of a cerebral couch lock while still being sativa.
Almost more of a concentration herb.
Swazi generally grows in a nice bush, short stocky but can become big and fat.
Varies between Long slender buds and short chunky nuggets ala Northern lights.
Swazi SKunk, Swazi red, Swazi, etc.

Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

Transkei & Lesotho-
Lesotho Mountains are also in the Eastern Cape.
Transkei is also in the eastern cape.
Lesotho and Transkei buds are awesome, both with a strong fruity aroma and taste with a serious stoning.
Varying between cerebral high and downright silent stoning.

The thing with the Transkei is that you can walk in the hills from village to village and hut to hut and in each hut you`ll most likely experience vastly different bud.

You can however identify a few generally superior strains.
Cofee Bay, being a dark green , red haired bud.
With a soft smokey smell and a lovely guava after taste.
Delivers one of the most intense stonings I`ve ever had.
I had to lie on the floor because I kept falling off the chair.
I couldn`t even sit on the floor because I kept falling over.

Undumbi between coffee bay and port st johns will be where you`ll find the largest variaty of bud anywhere.
I`ve walked in fields of purple and yellow and then gone a minute down a hill and walked in a field of nothing but sticky lime green buds with the odd Thick Swazi plant thrown in.
Undumbi I find is a very fruity taste, very sticky and a lovely light green colour.
Also one of my favorites more for sheer enjoyment of smoke than the actual high.
I personally will not always grow the strongest herb but will grow a particular herb if it stands out to me.
I find Undumbi normally will grow with some seriously resinous sticky buds that are just too good and tasty to ignore.

Then comes Port St Johns between Durban and Undumbi Area.
This will either be a cross between Kei and DP or straight DP genetics.
The differences are easy to note with DP having a smaller , typical sativa style leaf.
The transkei being a larger leaf with thinner leaf patterns.
The Bud can vary between Large sticky buds to your perfect smaller DP that is quite honestly scary sometimes.
The kind of herb that makes you dizzy or go blind for a few secs.
We grew a christmas tree Pt St Johns that smelt and tasted of Ice cream.

Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

Congo Black was some of the darkest herb I`ve ever seen with a monster hash aroma and taste while still beeing fruity.
Massive massive seeds.
The congo in my opinion is very closely related to Swazi.
It is a very similar stoning.
The darker appearence is what distinguishes it and ofcourse the seeds.
However a sign of a good swazi is also massive seeds.

Almost all African Strains are generally long flowering plants and are big yielders when grown correclty and pruned well for maximum bud exposure.
The also like to be bent and tyied and in general made to work."

"Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses.

So from my experience I`ve noted 2-3 different variances.
Firstly my favorite, swazi skunk.

Swazi Skunk- grows in nice long, thick, very chunky indica like buds.
Grows in lovely autumn colours, red, oranges, light greens, etc.
The tastes is nothing short of hashy, yet fruity.
The bud itself is very compact and scissors are need to cut through the crystal laiden arms
The plants I find can vary from short stocky plants to tall lambsbread trees.
The High is a very strong cerebral high with more of a couchlock effect than most strains.
The smoke leaves a fantastic Afghan hash taste in the mouth.
The nature of the High and look of the bud leads me to believe there is a slight indica hybrid somewhere in it`s family tree.
One of my favs.

Swazi red - is a far greener, almost dark green to black.
Covered in red hairs as well as a good crystal count.

The bud tends to grow in massive thick buds, they look like thousands of hairs neatly packed in breadloaves.
I`ve seen this plant grow from short stocky christmas tree, to massive trees with thcik heavy buds that look just like bread loaves, in shape and thickness.
The smoke tends to be a very earthy taste and after effect.
With a controlled, smooth high.
More of a sativa in this one and the high prooves it.
Now I wouldnt sya it is a very strong strain but if you like very smooth focussed highs then this one is a keeper.
I smoke loads of this herb and always find I can continue daily tasks quite easily while still feeling a pure high.

Swazi Gold - this is very closely related to the Swazi Skunk but I feel the bud is even more indica based than the previous 2.
Very chunky bud with an incredible long lasting smell that you can`t get rid of.
I had a kg of this herb in my boot for a week and after that there was no removing the smell from the upholstry.
It`s awesome.
The bud itself is super strong with an incredible smoke and high.
One of those buds you smoke and while your smoking you allready know by the taste that the high is gonna be great.
The seeds as with other swazis are massive dark brown seeds.
Vigirous growth and dark purple stems.

Swazi Gold and Swazi SKunk, although similar are vastly different in taste and high.
Swazi Gold is a more intense couchload(head mash) while the Skunk is a nice combo of the 2.
The bud is low in leaf, while the Swazi green is a higher leaf to calyx ratio.

As with most South African Genetics, this bud grows failry odourless until middle to late flower and into harvest when it takes on a fantastic smell and taste.
Only compareable to a good gold seal hash."

"Zimbabwe Rooibaart -

This bud was a pure sativa smoke with a serious narcotic stoning.
Small nuggets covered in red.
A very smokey taste.
But the high is very heavy and narcotic, leaves you quiete and dazed. Left my friend's mom asking him if I was taking any medication because I looked wasted.
Very good herb and very strong.
Not one that makes the rounds too often though."

elchischas

Veteran
Thanks for info... So much strains of Africans seeds still on hands of some growers.
And i'm sure that some strains still available in situ. I had the chance to buy seeds on those years but not so much money at my pockets.. will be really good if some of the nembers here show some pictures

burningfire

Veteran
Seeds Of Africa has nothing to do with African Seeds. I don't know if they are reputable.

I think they are a little similar to WOS. They will write up a nice little story about the seeds but the provenance is a real mystery.

They seem to have some legit looking pictures now and may have toned down their spiel.
In any event, these are not selected strains, you will have to go through a lot of seeds, which can be a good thing if you are serious about the genetics.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Seeds Of Africa has nothing to do with African Seeds. I don't know if they are reputable.

I think they are a little similar to WOS. They will write up a nice little story about the seeds but the provenance is a real mystery.

They seem to have some legit looking pictures now and may have toned down their spiel.
In any event, these are not selected strains, you will have to go through a lot of seeds, which can be a good thing if you are serious about the genetics.
They are nothing like World Of Seeds. Most of the World Of Seeds strains are clearly modern hybrids. I've grown a few of them.

What convinces me is that a lot of their strains sound exactly like the locations of the unreleased strains listed on the African Seeds Company's packaging.

Unreleased strains of the African Seeds Company:

Northern Zambia
DRC
Madagascar

Northern Mozambique
Lesotho

Seeds Of Africa:

Mozambica - Mozambican coast
Sotho Heights - Lesotho
Zimlicious - Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe-Zambia border/Zambezi River)

Apondo Mystic - North-Eastern Cape, SA
Coffee Gold - Coffee Bay, SA
Malawi Gold - Malawi (most likely the western shore of Lake Malawi)
Misty Kei - Eastern Cape
Swazi Gold - Swaziland
Zamal Reunion - Reunion Island

Last edited:

GrandpaMillenial

They are nothing like World Of Seeds. Most of the World Of Seeds strains are clearly modern hybrids. I've grown a few of them.

What convinces me is that a lot of their strains sound exactly like the locations of the unreleased strains listed on the African Seeds Company's packaging.

Unreleased strains of the African Seeds Company:

Northern Zambia
DRC
Madagascar

Northern Mozambique
Lesotho

Seeds Of Africa:

Mozambica - Mozambican coast
Sotho Heights - Lesotho
Zimlicious - Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe-Zambia border/Zambezi River)

Apondo Mystic - North-Eastern Cape, SA
Coffee Gold - Coffee Bay, SA
Malawi Gold - Malawi (most likely the western shore of Lake Malawi)
Misty Kei - Eastern Cape
Swazi Gold - Swaziland
Zamal Reunion - Reunion Island
I grew out some WOS South African KwaZulu.

Im a bit skeptical they are 100% pure sativa genetics.

5E959DDA-C751-4AF2-8725-A0AE039B36C4.jpeg

84751023-1B3E-46FD-AFC0-9AB79C7E7431.jpeg

701FC3F8-088C-4B65-9C11-8043BA9422F8.jpeg

They did produce some good smoke though. Speedy, cant stop talking, zero appetite. Good to smoke on the weekend with a cup of coffee. One was floral/pineapple another was anise/spice.

I crossed with some DJ Short blueberry and I will be growing those as my winter crop in a few months.

Edit: here is that grow!

Thread 'Blue Kwazulus'
https://www.icmag.com/threads/blue-kwazulus.18124833/

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I grew out some WOS South African KwaZulu.

Im a bit skeptical they are 100% pure sativa genetics.

View attachment 18727577
View attachment 18727578
View attachment 18727579

They did produce some good smoke though. Speedy, cant stop talking, zero appetite. Good to smoke on the weekend with a cup of coffee. One was floral/pineapple another was anise/spice.

I crossed with some DJ Short blueberry and I will be growing those as my winter crop in a few months.
Those are not African landraces at all, they are much more like hybrids, very hybrids (but the fact remains that it is excellent quality weed ) :)

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I'm sure they're great plants. However compare that with the leaves of this actual Durban Poison.

There are several Durban Poisons around, and for instance the Dutch versions like Nirvana's have Skunk/Afghani #1 in them.

I have never seen a hybrid strain that has the pencil thin leaves of a tropical landrace sativa. I think it is determined by homozygosity for recessive alleles (flipped ATCG letters knocking out functions) on multiple genes, and is therefore impossible to recover after crossing out.

GrandpaMillenial

I'm sure they're great plants. However compare that with the leaves of this actual Durban Poison.

There are several Durban Poisons around, and for instance the Dutch versions like Nirvana's have Skunk/Afghani #1 in them.

I have never seen a hybrid strain that has the pencil thin leaves of a tropical landrace sativa. I think it is determined by homozygosity for recessive alleles (flipped ATCG letters knocking out functions) on multiple genes, and is therefore impossible to recover after crossing out.
Exactly the point I was hoping to demonstrate, this offering from the landrace team looks more promising.

Marcus67

My Apollo 11 x Zamal cross had pencil leaves, smelled like guava. The Apollo male had thin leaves though and the zamal had the most pencil like leaves I have ever grown. I can dig up the pics if you like.