What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AF breeding selection for high % of NON-AF parent.

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dith the same with some of my auto Haze's only i dint yuse a Haze cut i breed back too a male Haze last crosses where
( SOUR DIESEL x Auto Haze) X (Auto Haze x Dieselryder)
breed back too a O Haze male

(this cross will not be autoflowering and will be breed back too a type of auto Haze i think for kwikker Autoflowering results)

also Breed ( SOUR x DIESELAuto Haze) X (Auto Haze x Dieselryder)
too some Auto AK 47 x Auto Haze and Dieselryder x autohaze

( SOUR DIESELx Auto Haze)x(Auto Haze x Dieselryder)X ( AK 47 x Auto Haze)
will be breed to Sativa x auto Haze for a back cross too
( SOUR DIESELx Auto Haze)x(Auto Haze x Dieselryder) X a O Haze male

so still understanding ? next will be my Diesel Haze cross lol it will be

( SOURDIESEL x Auto Haze)x(Auto Haze x Dieselryder)
X (Sativa x auto Haze)x (Dieselryder x autohaze)

i have al thise seeds already
i have seeds now from
(SOURDIESEL x Auto Haze)x(Auto Haze x Dieselryder) X auto AK47 x auto haze
(SOURDIESEL x Auto Haze)x(Auto Haze x Dieselryder) X dieseryder x auto haze
(SOURDIESEL x Auto Haze)x(Auto Haze x Dieselryder) x a O Haze male
Sativa x auto Haze
(Sativa x auto Haze) X (Dieselryder x autohaze)
And more

only need too cross them for the perfect Auto flowering Haze;s

ow and i will be working on some nice auto bleuberry Haze too but thats a other story

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have snow ryder x sour bubble, sour bubble, and mossy's jem. i have enough seeds that i won't need to worry about making seeds for a couple years.

C

cyber echo

I think we should start seeing more non-dwarf AFs.
Though I suppose AFs will always be smaller since they have less veg time and the flowering that kicks in at the 2nd week slows down the plants growth in favor of flowering.

Not that I dont like the dwarf varieties. They definitely have their applications (sog in stealth cabs, etc)

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet to see you have done so much work. The next gerenation of the Bx O haze will show some nice haze dominant plants. Keep us updated on the progress of this new AF breeding project.

Bro the next generantion's will be great :joint:
but i dint do al the work alone excemple a lot of Auto Haze come from guy's wo did a lot of generation AF X Haze (for autoflowering) i only pikt up where they left

S

ShamelessJames

How do you select the plants you choose? Especially the autoflowers. I've read that the best way to select a parent is to grow it, harvest it, and smoke it first. This obviously can't be done with autoflowers as they only grow once. No-revegging, no cloning.

If using silver to make autoflower female pollen it makes it even harder for selection as you have to select the plant early to start spraying.

Also when growing out all the generations it would make it even harder as you don't know what's gonna auto or not.

Perhaps it would just be easier to use males....

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you select the plants you choose? Especially the autoflowers. I've read that the best way to select a parent is to grow it, harvest it, and smoke it first. This obviously can't be done with autoflowers as they only grow once. No-revegging, no cloning.

If using silver to make autoflower female pollen it makes it even harder for selection as you have to select the plant early to start spraying.

Also when growing out all the generations it would make it even harder as you don't know what's gonna auto or not.

Perhaps it would just be easier to use males....

i have pollen stored in frezer from the best prodocing males
and if i have a great female i polleted her with difriend males (number buds so i know
what = what)
if i breed thise seeds together the female Genetica wil be stronger in thise crosses

Buds with seeds can be smoked (testet) even male pollen you can taste

Zo it can be done with autoflowers :joint:

? always grow them under 24 light so you breed the AF with AF?

hoop you uderstand what i mean ore i understand you corect .becorce my english is verry bad

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You store any good pollen you acquire. Whether it be male or female pollen. This can be done in a freezer. What do you keep the pollen in? Any other tips?

if pollen is properly frozen it could maintain it's viabilty for years. by properly frozen he states that the pollen should be dry, free of plant matter and oxygen if possible.
yust like the pic sows i let the pollen val and than i filter the leaf and stuf out with a sieve.
than i put the pollen in a litle Medicine Container ( can put a little bit of dry rice too prevent unwanted condensation 4 /5 beans )roll then in a tisjoe and put the Medicine Container with pollen the freezer
wen take out allow them to fully adjust to room temperature before opening the container. This will prevent unwanted condensation from forming on the pollensurface.

gallery_15915_7520_2194643.jpg

800px-Sieve_%28PSF%29.png

Disposable_Sputum_Container_60ml_90ml.jpg

Savemoney.jpg

here some pollen from my Highland Oaxacan x Viking
gallery_15915_7520_454116.jpg

picture.php

Barney Fife

Funny you bring this up.. I was just talking to blynx about doing a project similar to this. Not with skunk, but to try and get as close as possible to the NON-AF parent.

Good luck.

*mr.mike*

Now take your F4 100% AF and backcross it to the ORIGINAL SKUNK mother used in the F1 cross, it must be the Original Clone mother that you use to make sure this process will yield stable traits later on.

Original Skunk Bx F4 100% AF= Skunk x AF Bx1 Skunk
Now once again you must breed into an AF selection to F3 or F4.
Resulting into roughly 75% Original Skunk Selection X 25% AF parent.

Repeat the process to make Bx2 which will result in seeds that are roughly 87.5% Skunk Selection X 12.5% AF parent.

Repeat again, Bx3 = 93.75% Skunk X 6.25% AF parent.

Repeat again, Bx4 = 96.875% skunk x 3.125% AF parent.

Now, when you have reached the amount of traits you want to see in the AF version of the Original NON-AF parent you can inbreed to F6-F7 and so on will = A mostly pure SKUNK selection that is 100% AF!!! SWEET!

There is no reason to Backcross to the Bx4, unless you want to go to the extreme, you only need to BX until you reach your amount of dominant traits that you want to see in the AF version.

ICC:joint:

Why would it have to be the original mother? If you're using stable plants, why not use another female from the original strain? If you're talking about actual breeding, wouldn't several be better than just one?

I understand where you get your numbers for the percentages, but does it really work like that? So much is common in terms of the two plants, already. I'm thinking that if you took all the autos from the F3 stage and crossed them to the original non-auto parent strain, then crossed the offspring, the results would be more "wholesome". You would be stripping the traits of the auto out to be discarded, while keeping all the desired traits of the non-af parent.

Selection of AF parents is no easy task, and takes knowledge of the AF strain that you are working with to know what plants carry what traits early on. Once you figure that out it is much easier to choose and successful crossing can be made. Usually I use MALES of the AF parents...

...You must grow them in 24hour light and choose the plants that AF within 5 weeks (strain dependent) most True AFs will flower within 3 weeks from planting.

ICC.

Do you find any advantage to using the males over the females? Just wondering, as it's a thing I haven't gotten to, yet. Do you use any of the ones that hold out and not autoflower until, say, day 33? I notice that those ones are a small, but significant percentage of the first "true af" filial generations that you get.

Hey, what's with the worm on your weed?

it all depends what your trying to do shamelessjames if your using a non af mother to breed your own strain then you just stabalise the af trait as pointed out by icc and then backcross to the mother 2 - 3 times and then keep inbreeding for a few more generations

A

arcticsun

yo icecoldcricket :joint:

im moving along these lines, however im doing an auto SSH using pehkuruders and SSH F2's. there is a certain pheno variation to be expected, i think i shall want to preserve as many phenos as i can within a few lines. The pehkuruders have similarities in smell and flavor to the SSH so my objective isnt really to remove all the traits from the pehukruder but rather to complement it with the potency and yield of the SSH F2's.

the pehkuruders most favorable traits is its large size for an auto and the flavor/scent. i was thinking i might do the backpollination to the brother (male) of my original SSH mother, as i do not know which parent carries which traits?

i have started with a AK47/pehkuruder cross aswell, im just about to pop the F1 generation beans. these beans were harvested from their ak47 mother about a month ago and has had about a week in the fridge and 3 weeks drying.

i think ill pop about 100 beans for this F1 selection. ill try to fit in as many as i can. one of my rooms is full of my christmas stash already so that room is occupied for another month or so.

best of wishes on your project, ill keep yall updated on how im coming along. first on my list is to go and get some soil and about a hundred pots :joint:

peace -Arcticsun

Kaneh

My :2cents::
I do the BX to different parent to get more genetic variation, hoping to get more healthy strain.
Also I believe it is best to work with stable IBL strains. This way we get less variation in future generations. I'm not sure if SSH or AK47 are best for this?

Selecting for AF traits from F1-F2 generations is easy. We can easily pop hundreds of seeds in small pots and transplant to bigger pots only those that start to flower under 24 light, after a month or so we can throw away the rest.
We can manage with much less space/lights than when selecting 12/12 strains that we basicly have to grow all the way.
...Well, we have to do this with AF-strains also when the AF-trait is locked and we are selecting plants that have best high/taste.

I'm not very experienced as a breeder but thats how I do it.