What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice on relocating to Espana

Truely had a guts full of HMP UK now as the polical trend of cuts and general poor/Disabled bashing is now strongly effecting me and my wife.A few years ago we had a happy if hard Life but without giving to many circumstances away,thats all been taken from us.As soon as i can put some decent beans together,sort out liquidating my possesions to cash im looking to relocate to spain [Thats if the bastards havent got me in some kind of modern day 'Debtors prison' by then].
So,If anyone whos already made the leap has any tips,Financial costs,Sugestions of good and bad areas-ANYTHING relevant to A med using Brit looking to relocate in the next couple of months,Id be so grateful to hear from u.
I am just treading water here in the uk and its getting too hard to tread now,im tired.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I hope it works out for ya... I have considered this move too. But, as a 'Murkan it is more complex. I love Espana, the language, the people, basically all of it.

Cheers.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
It is pretty easy, you just have a long holiday and avoid Spanish beaurocracy at all costs.

Pop over for a visit, car hire for e5 a day, have a good think about where you want to be, coast, town, finca, city and the reality of each. Thieves are your biggest problem, frequently among your "friends" ... Loads of scumbags in all communities here, especially English, Moroccan and E Europeans.

The Cataluña and Basque regions are more relaxed about weed, but the Basque is harder to move to and hide within

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wish you the best of luck,,,have lived in spain in the 80s and i love the country and the people,,,,,
if i was moving permantly then i would avoid the english enclaves,,,get learning the langauge and make spanish friends,,,,,
peace and regards s2

amanda88

I'm planning this myself, and have been advocating this since my visit some months back, I fear the summer time heat, and big brother interference..

hence I'll be moving to the north, Cataluña and Basque sounds great, even better if EU free..? but the actual legality of growing ..? I'm unsure?

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
You are right to fear summer heat, you can add utterly shit water in some areas, often around the coast

Big brother has not really got anywhere near other nations, and weed people are of zero interest

Growing is illegal, but growing your own, secured in your own personal property is effectively legalised by Police advice and inaction. Just this week a friend showed the Policia his grow.tent they asked..Do you sell any ? ... No, its just for me...OK, they walk off. Zero problem.

It is pretty easy, you just have a long holiday and avoid Spanish beaurocracy at all costs.

Pop over for a visit, car hire for e5 a day, have a good think about where you want to be, coast, town, finca, city and the reality of each. Thieves are your biggest problem, frequently among your "friends" ... Loads of scumbags in all communities here, especially English, Moroccan and E Europeans.

The Cataluña and Basque regions are more relaxed about weed, but the Basque is harder to move to and hide within

Yeah,thats exactly what im thinking re avoiding spanish beauroracy and having a nice long holiday...been a while since ive had one of them!Gonna have to sell all my wordly goods to do it.I was thinking Cataluna-i dont think i'll be able to afford barcelona,and im defo not looking to go near any Brit enclave...from what ive heard/can acsertain,u aint got a problem growing UNLESS your neighbours have a problem with it-is that about right?
I dont wanna be tooo far out in the wilds,a village would be nice,Thanks for the advice re scumbags,i'll try and give them a wide!Whats the average cost of a two bed flat/finca or whatever in a not too posh and not too shabby area? [When i say shabby,im meaning i dont wanna have to run the gauntlet with knife wielding morrocans and bad boi spaniards getting home every night if u get my drift...talking about avoiding places like la linea of course!also,a ready supply of good afpak and other marocs would no doubt come in handy,are they really that plentiful?

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
You can afford Barcelona, if you don't go to a posh area. Half of the city is cheap, half not. Saving 100€/pcm by living in a God forsaken shithole 30++ minutes outside is not always sensible and often makes you reluctant to leave the house due to security risks.

The nearest British enclave starts around Benidorm.

You are basically correct about neighbours, keep them sweet... Says the guy involved in a lawsuit with the **** faced witch 8 doors up... Believe me I have tried to avoid it and may move because of this

The wilds... Without local knowledge you are half blind. One friend lives outside X, but then discovered that there are a plague of Police controls around, as the village beyond is the major Cocaine distribution spot... Another is from X, they had a house in another village nearby and constant issues with other local neighbours. Now in another village they are very happy, it is known to be a cool place with zero delinquents, gypsies, Moroccans or just generally wanky neighbours

Cheap places here can be a false economy, cheap neighbours who are waiting to rob you (a friend just had this, Moroccan neighbour copied his key during refurb) walls are thiiiiiiin and "wiring 40 years old and clearly insufficient for the doorbell it was specified for.. A shit 2 bed flat in bcn starts from 500e but big places with pools and 3 phase and giant garages are available (just outside) from 900e

I sold all my shit and drove 15 thousand km on a road trip all over Europe with a dream of moving to Spain and when I got there I was way disappointed. Avoid Malaga. I love Spanish and I enjoyed Castilla Leon very much. I hated the coastal areas and decided after a month to go back to Poland. To be honest no matter how frustrated you are with your country I learned the frustration comes from within. It don't matter where you are in the world - running away to another country will rarely fix anything.
Sorry to be a bit of a downer - yes you can grow weed I Spain but what about everything else?

zorro1990.jpg

Gizmo

and what about the Canary Islands guys ? there must be some nice Cannabis growers outhere no ? finding a job must be the hard part outhere however

theclearspot

Interesting thread.Im sure there are some cool places in Spain to live away from touristy spots. But what do you do for a living in a village miles from nowhere? Unless of course you have a private income/picking up benefits or something.Interesting what you say about 'scumbags': surprised you include Moroccans, I was in Morocco thought the people were cool I was never ripped off or had anything stolen but yeah ive heard a friend of mine who lives in Holland sayin they are a bit mouthy. By east europeans I suppose you mean Poles/Russians. again never had any problems with Poles or Russians personally. I have a friend travelled to India said the Israelis were the worst people he'd ever met in his life. Tbh worst ive ever met have been drunken Brits in various places.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Interesting thread.Im sure there are some cool places in Spain to live away from touristy spots. But what do you do for a living in a village miles from nowhere? Unless of course you have a private income/picking up benefits or something.Interesting what you say about 'scumbags': surprised you include Moroccans, I was in Morocco thought the people were cool I was never ripped off or had anything stolen but yeah ive heard a friend of mine who lives in Holland sayin they are a bit mouthy. By east europeans I suppose you mean Poles/Russians. again never had any problems with Poles or Russians personally. I have a friend travelled to India said the Israelis were the worst people he'd ever met in his life. Tbh worst ive ever met have been drunken Brits in various places.

Yes, always a problem with dreamy rural idylls, you never really know what is bubbling beneath.

I mentioned in another thread here recently my experiences with X a commuter town outside Barcelona... One non local moved to a village outside, then discovered that it was slap bang on the local, heavily policed drug supply corridor for X. Another who is from there had a summer house and a few plants in another village nearby, despite being a local, nightmare problems with neighbours... He has now moved to another different village and has zero problems

Moroccans. ... Several friends, Catalans, Spanish, English and others have had serious problems with Moroccans. The only guy I know who has been busted here was twice grassed up by his former best friend, lived in his house with his family... Another had a great relationship with another who after 7 years fucked him over royally. Another was almost busted 2 weeks ago when his new Moroccan neighbour copied his keys, let himself in, found the grow and called the Police...

Russians and Poles, like a drink, some are here growing I think, but keep themselves to themselves and are no real problem. Romanians on the other hand... Many are fine and just want to work, but there are a number of gangs here stealing, maybe 50% of the burglaries ? I had a 2 month war/siege with a bunch who had robbed almost all the places in my area, so take great care

The English .... I generally avoid other Brits, there are some good people, but a lot of scumbags, many have fucked off from shit at home... At my farm the locals all say that many of us "up in the hills" are dangerous mafiosios and wanted by the police. Not helped by Interpol publicly dragging one of my neighbours off for armed robberies. So many people seem to get robbed when they stop off for a beer in the village plaza and you often never really know who it was.....

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes its a sad fact,,:)
that small or large groups of Anglo-saxons and alcohol just dont mix,,,,
straight to red then comes the ultra-violence,,,,
we even fight each other if theirs nobody else to fight lol,
just recently Milwall football fans turned on each other as they couldnt get to the other teams fans,,,,
avoid brit enclaves if moving to spain,,learn the language before or when you arrive [nightschool etc] and make spanish friends,,,
even the tiniest bit of spanish will help massively,,i believe spanish peeps like that your trying even if ya cock it up like i do with my pidgeon spanish but that got me by in barcelona where they dont speak english as much or like they do in the popular resorts [imho],
the very best of luck,,,,s2:tiphat:

Last edited:

theclearspot

I think it would be a good idea if the OP stayed at home, Spain does not sound like a good place.
OP, you sell everything you own to fund your relocation, you get there, I say you last a year or so, then you return, with nothing but a suitcase, and have to start all over again.

And I don't know how you intend funding this, but seeing as there are no jobs for the locals, then you as an outsider don't have much chance.

Intend growing weed for money? You will make more money doing that in the UK, as the illegality pushes up the prices.

Yes I think Spain is probably not a good choice BUT I have never lived there. Perhaps the Costa del Sol type places down the coast attract the undesirables but maybe other inland towns etc or Eastern Spain. I had a friend who lived in Zaragosa and he never mentioned crime or burglaries. Maybe somewhere else in Europe?Not sure why the OP chose Spain originally but there are other places. Provence? Italy? I havent lived there so cant comment.Northern Europe very expensive. Germany is nice.

Dog Star

Veteran
Was live in Barcelona,Loret de Mar and worked there as a bouncer
in one disco club in a year 2000 for 9 months and again in 2003 for few months... have great memories from there,even buyed first
400 W light fixture in some small shop at Loret de Mar...

haved international friends and best was Moroccan as they gived
me lot of hashish,those black like soap i get very cheap and i buyed
some expensive gold polen that was very sweet for smoking..

lived with Dutch folks as they rented big house and there i taked room that i haved locked under qey but this folks wasnt any tiefs
but really good people and we haved great time all together..

growed also few plants on balcony there and that was also cool
as no one didnt made drama.. still remember i buyed High Times
in 2000 front picture and a winner of cup was Sweet Tooth from Barney farm... Spanish edition..

Sometimes i wish to go back... but only as a turist as i dont wanna
to move so much from here..

Kind regards :tiphat:

DS

Yes, always a problem with dreamy rural idylls, you never really know what is bubbling beneath.

I mentioned in another thread here recently my experiences with X a commuter town outside Barcelona... One non local moved to a village outside, then discovered that it was slap bang on the local, heavily policed drug supply corridor for X. Another who is from there had a summer house and a few plants in another village nearby, despite being a local, nightmare problems with neighbours... He has now moved to another different village and has zero problems

Moroccans. ... Several friends, Catalans, Spanish, English and others have had serious problems with Moroccans. The only guy I know who has been busted here was twice grassed up by his former best friend, lived in his house with his family... Another had a great relationship with another who after 7 years fucked him over royally. Another was almost busted 2 weeks ago when his new Moroccan neighbour copied his keys, let himself in, found the grow and called the Police...

Russians and Poles, like a drink, some are here growing I think, but keep themselves to themselves and are no real problem. Romanians on the other hand... Many are fine and just want to work, but there are a number of gangs here stealing, maybe 50% of the burglaries ? I had a 2 month war/siege with a bunch who had robbed almost all the places in my area, so take great care

The English .... I generally avoid other Brits, there are some good people, but a lot of scumbags, many have fucked off from shit at home... At my farm the locals all say that many of us "up in the hills" are dangerous mafiosios and wanted by the police. Not helped by Interpol publicly dragging one of my neighbours off for armed robberies. So many people seem to get robbed when they stop off for a beer in the village plaza and you often never really know who it was.....

Latest posts

Latest posts