What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice needed

revegeta666

I have revenged plants before although it was indoors. My buddy said it changed overnight and he thought it was dead. I’ll have my own place soon and I will be able to observe them daily. Im striving to achieve the successful grows I have seen on this site.
Revegging is not the same as reflowering. Revegging means the flowering is interrupted and the plant goes back to the vegetative state. What I meant by reflowering is that some sativas flower in waves, they look done and a few days later they push out a new flower batch. The harvest window with sativas is usually very wide as well. Or they have multiple harvest windows you could say, which do make things more complicated.

One good thing ace seeds has compared to most seed sellers, is that you can more or less trust their recommended harvest dates. I would suggest next time if you grow one of their strains and are in doubt, let the plants go to the recommended date if you can. The good part is even though you harvested early, your plant will probably still have a nice effect unlike commercial strains which if taken down early won't have had the chance to develop the effect as they should. Just an opinion.

grayeyes

revegata, your information is not quite correct. I am currently reflowering a BBG I just grew and made a first harvest. I hold off on harvesting the popcorn buds and let those mature. In my conversations with the original seller of this strain he told me they typically harvest it 3 times per season.

With this particular harvest I forced flowered them to discover sex and instead of continuing to flower they went back into veg state and doubled in size. I then forced flowered them again.

revegeta666

revegata, your information is not quite correct. I am currently reflowering a BBG I just grew and made a first harvest. I hold off on harvesting the popcorn buds and let those mature. In my conversations with the original seller of this strain he told me they typically harvest it 3 times per season.

With this particular harvest I forced flowered them to discover sex and instead of continuing to flower they went back into veg state and doubled in size. I then forced flowered them again.
It is indeed correct especially when speaking about a strain like Malawi and other sativa/NLD strains like in this case. You can have multiple harvests with any plant if that's what you want, tropical or afghani, commercial or landrace, photoperiodic or auto, it doesn't matter. Harvesting the big buds and leaving the lower ones for further maturation is very common if you only grow a few plants, and if people don't usually do it it's just because it's easier and more convenient to hang the full plant at once.

This is not reflowering though, just harvesting in stages. Reflowering is not a process where the grower has any say. It's in the genes of sativa/NLD/tropical plants and their usual way of flowering in their natural habitat as well. To the point where in some countries, growers keep cannabis plants alive for well over a year or two and keep harvesting single branches when they feel like it. Plants that come from countries where there is a cold season need to hurry to finish before the cold and frost comes. Tropical sativas don't have to worry about cold seasons and they just reflower and reflower every few weeks, for months even years, because temperature and photoperiod are more or less constant where they live and there is no environmental trigger to let them know when to stop making new flowers. Reflowering is controlled by the hormonal changes in the plant which are influenced from the nutrients, small changes in photoperiod (in tropical countries sometimes less than 1 hour) and other changes in the environment. Not by the grower.

I am not familiar with BBG sorry 🤷‍♂️

Giving a plant a few days of 12/12 to sex them and going back to 18/6 is a common procedure as well to make plants sex earlier, and I would not consider it revegging nor reflowering. It's just a quick trick to trigger the plant to show preflowers, you can do this as well by limiting root space and the plant will show its sex due to the stress of being rootbound. Revegging would imply that the plant is producing new shoots with single blade leaves and looking like this for 4-6 weeks before resuming the vegetative process.
Regenerating-A-Cannabis-Plant.jpg

It is a traumatic process for the plant once triggered because it involves such a switch in hormones.

Last edited:

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought one final post would be appropriate. The Malawi (ACE Seeds Std, Fem) was harvested at 63 days from flowering. It yielded 14 gms dried and trimed bud. I was initially disappointed with the high. It was mild. I had started only smoking in the evenings. After a few weeks the high was definitely better. The psycho active effects were pronounced. It is very sociable. I want a strong initial kick with "rushes"before it becomes more manageable. I'll keep looking.
I learned or relearned some important lessons: Sun, Sun, the more the better.
Onward to the next step.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I thought one final post would be appropriate. The Malawi (ACE Seeds Std, Fem) was harvested at 63 days from flowering. It yielded 14 gms dried and trimed bud. I was initially disappointed with the high. It was mild. I had started only smoking in the evenings. After a few weeks the high was definitely better. The psycho active effects were pronounced. It is very sociable. I want a strong initial kick with "rushes"before it becomes more manageable. I'll keep looking.
Onward to the next step.
Hi @Ancient Old Far , I'm sorry to hear that the Malawi is not up to your expectations. As you rightly point out, it does improve with age and if you were able to leave it 6months it would be getting towards it prime.

It think you'll find that if you were to grow it again in the full sun, then you'd have a very different creature on your hands. I've grown her 3 times and find her to be confusingly powerful and my go to weed when I want "that something extra"

Onwards and upwards!

revegeta666

Onward to the next step.
All plants benefit from a good cure but especially sativas usually need at least a couple of months (or six) for the effect to settle.

revegeta666

As it happens so often with cannabis, this is highly strain dependant, and knowing your strains well is a big advantage to make sure you always have the best quality buds. Overcuring your buds is a possibility and when it happens there's no turning back.

This is a Tikal plant that was harvested on November 21 of last year, so almost 12 months ago.
IMG_20211018_140721.jpg

IMG_20221111_114903.jpg

These are the same seeds you have @Hombre del mont so a pheno like this may pop out if you're lucky. Knowing your tastes this should be your favourite Tikal has to offer. According to Dubi it is a recessive Thai pheno from the NL5/Haze part of the cross. Certainly the most "sativa" leaning and cleanest pheno I have found in this line so far. I wish I had cobbed this one.

So almost a year later, buds already turned to a golden color and are starting to get brownish, like this one I am smoking as we speak. Very wispy buds but very clean motivating high which is what you want from a good sativa imo.
IMG_20221111_114503.jpg

By now it's starting to lose its characteristic mango/strawberry terpenes, and the less appealing ones are intact. The first time I grew this strain, it peaked for me at around
9/10 months of cure, and you could tell from the taste and effect that it wasn't getting any better. Which is why I vacuum sealed them and froze last year's harvest 2 months ago, at 10 months. I just make little 8/10g pack like this, that way you take one pack out of the freezer whenever you need one and you don't have to expose the rest of the buds to further oxidation.
IMG_20221111_120610.jpg

When you have previous experience with a strain you can more or less tell when the buds are at their peak quality. Or as close you can get them. Then by vacuum sealing them and freezing them you can keep that quality intact for years without further degradation. Frozen weed will still cure and/or degrade very very slowly. You definitely don't want to overdo it with buds like these where the clean effect is their most desired trait. THC decarboxylates over time turning into CBN which gives weed a narcotic effect, unwanted in a sativa at least for me. A vacuum sealer is one of the most useful pieces of equipment for a grower in my opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts