What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice needed

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took GreenAndFast's advice and emailed ACE. They said my Malawi will come in a little early because of my latitude. Im looking forward to the end of October. It will be a pleasant surprise.

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_164029~2.jpg
    IMG_20220909_164029~2.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 51

Rembetis

You are trying to grow a tropical-sub tropical variety in a temperate region. The light cycle is all wrong. It doesn't matter where you plant it. It's still going to behave the way nature intended. Outside of the tropics these plants get frost killed before they ever mature. Best bet is for sativa types is to grow indoors where you can give it a proper cycle. People in warmer climates like the ACE guys go thru a lot of trouble to grow those genetics. Usually, greenhouses with tarps using light deprivation to provide a proper cycle. It is a huge pain in the ass moving those tarps around twice a day. I prefer the tropical Sativa's myself so going the extra mile is well worth it to me but it requires dedication. You might want to look for a well worked sativa leaner if you cant grow indoors or have a greenhouse. Ace has plenty of options if you like their Malawi

grayeyes

Rem, I'm sorry but sungrown definitely beats under lights any day. As far as growing real sativas growing in a temperate region I seem to do fine at 34 degrees. I wonder if your experience isn't related to genetics not being what you thought they were. I have grown out RSC Malawi Gold 3 times now with harvests left to 22 weeks now by preference I harvest at 16 weeks as the terps are best then. Having tried other sativas under lights I would tell you for flavor and simplicity outside in sunlight is the way to go. Your mouth will thank you.

Rembetis

Grayeyes, I absolutely agree with you that growing outdoors in the sunshine is the best when possible. Being an old timer, I had the old landrace stuff before the BLDs and hybrids showed up. I went to Jamaica 40 years ago and had the real deal there too, fresh as opposed to the imported stuff. For me that is the standard that I judge by. For many of us either the laws or the climate arent right so we have to get by.
I have grown the ACE Malawi indoors using 70 watts per Sq ft in order to give it proper lighting intensity that those Sativas need. It went 18 weeks for me. Not as good as outdoor grown but decent enough

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm still puzzled over this Malawi. I accepted the fact that it a long flowering tropical Sativa. I saw it for the first time in 10 days. She has been flowering for 42 days. What do you guys think?
PXL_20220912_154113043.jpg

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Ancient Old Far , I did Aces Malawi a couple of years back at 37N and harvested it mid November
Thank You Hombre del Mont for your reply. I respect you and the other experienced growers who have offered guidance and most importantly education. I'm not sure this plant can go another 6 wks?
This is not exactly my first grow. A buddy and I grew Mexican and Colombian seeds in the national forest. We cleared several areas close to water. We used forest service rakes to till the soil. Sowed the seeds directly in the ground, came back in week or so and thinned them out. Then the work started, hauling 5 gal water cans a quarter of a mile in 90+ temp a couple of times a week. We just used rapid grow with no additional amendments. We harvested 15lbs in October (Mexican), and late November (Colombian). It was very good, much better than the brick and Colombian going around. Finally in 1989 ordered seeds from the Seed Bank. He got an Indica and I got a Sativa, early Pearl I think. First generation was great, F2's were all over the place. Later the best plants I grew were Durban (AfroPips). Durban is a great high. One year I put 5 Power Plants out the first of March and harvested them the end of May. It was the difference in Photoperiod between The Netherlands and 30* N that caused that.It was nice smoke but its not Thai or these new Sativa crosses. I quit growing although not smoking in 2009, things have changed.
I'm still learning.
Here is a picture of my buddy (passed away 2013) at one of our sites in 1981. ATT_1392690634747_photo 2.JPG

Nexus7

I'm still puzzled over this Malawi. I accepted the fact that it a long flowering tropical Sativa. I saw it for the first time in 10 days. She has been flowering for 42 days. What do you guys think?
View attachment 18755835

I think I told you about my Ace malawi experience already?

Clearly the latest feminised version is not pure tropical sativa. Not even close!

Yes some of the earlier versions would go longer and look more NLD but not the latest version ...

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
@Ancient Old Far , We're all learning all the time. I'm relatively new to growing outdoors in the earth. I did a few years in pots, but mostly I was an indoor grower, back in the day.

Sorry to hear your buddy passed.

Here's a couple of shots of the Malawi that came down on 15th November 2019.

20191101_135821.jpg
20191101_140110.jpg

I'm thinking yours looks a little hungry and perhaps a very light feed with just a little N might help.

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Ancient Old Far , We're all learning all the time. I'm relatively new to growing outdoors in the earth. I did a few years in pots, but mostly I was an indoor grower, back in the day.

Sorry to hear your buddy passed.

Here's a couple of shots of the Malawi that came down on 15th November 2019.

View attachment 18756081 View attachment 18756082
I'm thinking yours looks a little hungry and perhaps a very light feed with just a little N might help.
Thanks! I can see the bracts are swollen like they had a seed in it. The picture was very helpful.

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Morning
Here are a few pics of my Malawi.
PXL_20220917_150220410.PORTRAIT~4.jpg

The pistols have all turned brown. Trichomes are mostly cloudy. rare amber Trichomes. no smell. Another week. maybe 2? I have a AG and two JH's that germinated same time as Malawi. They look to be on schedule.
Growing is fun and new discoveries everyday.

PXL_20220917_150235148.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220917_150318575.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20220917_150318575.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20220917_150235148.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20220917_150235148.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 1663426354257~2.jpg
    1663426354257~2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 41

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
No Smell?, that doesn't sound right.

Still doesn't look done, but the photo's are a little out of focus, so cant be sure.

The photo of the trichomes looks like it is from a small leaf on the bud, no?. I prefer to look at the false seed bracts for an indication of ripeness.