What's new

Advanced Computer Security: How to Remove and Sever the Trail of Evidence

cannabi

IP are not the only identifier, MAC is burned into all hardware that will use TCP.
[...]
Then LEO will arrive and look for the computer with particular mac address.

That's the beauty of VirtualBox, when you run an emulated system, it gets its own imaginary MAC.

golden

That's the beauty of VirtualBox, when you run an emulated system, it gets its own imaginary MAC.

Thats cool but until you spoof the MAC for your Provider CPE thats pumping whatever is serving your LAN IPs, it doesnt help any.

But thats still not good enough and it takes a bit of work.

Easiest, quickest way to stealth is to scan for the best nearby signal from a LiveCd or USB with spoofed MAC. then borrow it, every session changing MAC before you connect.

cannabi

Thats cool but until you spoof the MAC for your Provider CPE thats pumping whatever is serving your LAN IPs, it doesnt help any.

I'm pretty sure it only records the subscriber IP, MAC address of machine accessing information, and MAC address of the physical object--whether it be a router, or a computer running Windows Server 2008 acting as a DHCP server, and not every MAC address along the chain. Which means, your neighbor's IP/MAC, and your VirtualBox's made up Mac.

You can edit the virtual machine's imaginary MAC address belonging to the emulated network adapter via the same means you change your host computer's MAC address, Mac MakeUp. [Google is your friend.]

One need only obtain a high power USB antenna, you can then VirtualBox boot a LiveCD ISO.
VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and supports passing through USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices directly to virtual machines.
This will allow you to use your virtualized host running via ISO, (very fast, hard drive based), to spoof the MAC address of the high power USB antenna easily and connect to many more networks, all from the convenience of a window running in the background, with no ever having to reboot. Accessing outside internet through this manner does not expose your host computer's MAC, IP, or anything as the guest is not aware of any of the host's networking facilities if you disable the networking between the guest and the host and rely on virtual USB pass through on the high power antenna.

You can then use Decaf to instruct your computer to uninstall VirtualBox, delete a particular ISO file, and totally delete various files for increased safety upon noticing the presence of COFEE.

hawkingwifidish_small.jpg

※Decaf is a light-weight application that monitors Windows systems for the presence of COFEE, a bundle of some 150 point-and-click tools used by police to collect digital evidence at crime scenes. When a USB stick containing the Microsoft software is attached to a protected PC, Decaf automatically executes a variety of countermeasures.

golden

I'm pretty sure it only records the subscriber IP, MAC address of machine accessing information, and MAC address of the physical object--whether it be a router, or a computer running Windows Server 2008 acting as a DHCP server, and not every MAC address along the chain. Which means, your neighbor's IP/MAC, and your VirtualBox's made up Mac.

unfamiliar with CPE but giving advise on sec. Nice....

21bWppEeYxL._SS400_.jpg

golden

so what about the non legal state growers posting their grows on the site.
my grow is in another county :joint:

Feel free dude remove the exif data from your pics, read the dos and donts ICMAG security sticky and you will be fine, use common sense...

And watch Lone wolf and cub, Mute Samurai, and Zatoichi

golden

Regardless, my method is perfectly safe and besides the point since what you are referring to is irrelevant based on the scenario I described.

how do you know you method is perfectly safe?

perfectly safe has never, does not today, and never will exist.

What programming languages do you know?

Have you ever worked at an ISP? A global one in the NOC? SOC? LOC?

the most safe method is to use a hardened linux kernel with gpg tool chain, so everything is encrypted so people cannot write on the fly overflows against your shit.

Decaf is likely a rootkit since the writers know that the sheeple on Windows are trying to cover up stuff, naturally they are interested in whats being covered up and since it windows it was easy to make. They have probably decided to beat Cofee to the data mining, and looks like your happy using it, be sure to keep close watch on that uplink led there bud.

Do you think the writers care about providing windows users with a free Cofee killer?

give your head a shake, I think your one s short of cannabis bro

cannabi

how do you know you method is perfectly safe?

perfectly safe has never, does not today, and never will exist.

What programming languages do you know?

Have you ever worked at an ISP? A global one in the NOC? SOC? LOC?

the most safe method is to use a hardened linux kernel with gpg tool chain, so everything is encrypted so people cannot write on the fly overflows against your shit.

Decaf is likely a rootkit since the writers know that the sheeple on Windows are trying to cover up stuff, naturally they are interested in whats being covered up and since it windows it was easy to make. They have probably decided to beat Cofee to the data mining, and looks like your happy using it, be sure to keep close watch on that uplink led there bud.

Do you think the writers care about providing windows users with a free Cofee killer?

give your head a shake, I think your one s short of cannabis bro

I think for one thing you are either way paranoid, or you are just argumentative and despise losing a dispute. Either way, you know damn well that a guest OS (your hardened linux kernel, if you please) with no access to the host's networking facilities using only a USB device in virtual host mode will not leave breadcrumbs as to the identity of the host PC, and if you don't, then you're not half as smart as I currently believe you are.

I don't care if you went to MIT, Harvard, or picked up 84 certifications in whatever you had to have in order to land whatever jobs in IT you've held/do hold. You know as well as I do that there is nothing wrong with using an emulated system on VirtualBox for sandbox access if you follow the right precautions.

I'm very familiar with object oriented programming, particularly C++, and I haven't done a whole hell of a lot with all the new stuff coming out of M$ like C# and other malarkey. But, you know what? "What programming languages do you know?" is the kind of question that really says, "How big is your epeen? I bet mine is bigger than yours!"

As far as I know, there are just a few rules of growing.

1.) Don't tell anybody.
2.) Don't tell anybody.
3.) Don't surf grow sites at all period at your grow location.
4.) Don't ship things that you've ordered online to the grow location.
5.) Don't let your real IP/MAC show anywhere in the event any LEO actually does care about your access (through the https facility, of course) to this site.
6.) Don't tell anybody.
7.) Follow growroom protocol with regards to heat, light, and odor leaks.
8.) Don't tell anybody.

Either way, I don't feel the need to prove that my method is safe because, quite frankly, I know it is. Now if you want to somehow expose my advice as somehow being dangerous, then I suggest that you go ahead and install VirtualBox, load an ISO, use your high power USB antenna via virtual host mode in the guest OS, then run your network diagnostic tools or something like kismet for wifi packet analysis on it to no end. I guarantee you will find no traces of the host's network even if you leave the host connected to your regular subscribed internet access.

Furthermore, not everyone has neighbors with lax security on their wifi, or even neighbors with wifi, so what do you propose for those people to do? Just not access grow info? Just not grow? Better get started writing that tutorial on WPA and rainbow tables before someone else beats you to it.

Also, go on ahead and verify that Decaf is not a rootkit by downloading it and hashing it's MD5 then compare it vs. all the MD5 hash sites out there.

I mean, I seriously just don't understand why you feel the need to beat down my info because you somehow feel you're superior to me due to an obvious disparity between the types of education that we've each received. Look I haven't been to the Yale of IT, but I know enough to know that LEO doesn't care about you or your activities on ICMag, particularly because they're going to have a hard time issuing a subpoena for anything out of the Netherlands regarding cannabis.

See, I just thought I'd share a particularly useful method for safe access in order to help everyone here avoid driving themselves crazy with the constant rebooting of their computer. I am aware that you, like me, probably have multiple boxes laying around so you go on ahead and do whatever the hell you want to, I'm just trying to be helpful.

Yes, booting a linux LiveCD and following your method is a great way to ensure security, but they are going to have to learn a lot about using some pretty advanced stuff.

Also, loading a LiveCD is about 15x slower than booting the ISO in a VirtualBox from a hard drive, it'll save you the physical media, and using it in the emulated scenario does not force you to abandon your regular, preferred, computing environment.

Face it, very few around here can even come close to the kind of technical know how that you do right now. If they can't understand it, what makes you think they're going to sit and read hundreds of pages of HOWTOs and man pages?

No, I think it's better to keep it simple.

Install a Windows XP guest OS, use Mac MakeUp on your virtual host mode directly connected USB device from within the guest OS, and stop being so damn paranoid. You'll save tons of time and effort.

You can also install UltraSurf, which will allow you to have a randomized IP address and anonymously access most websites.

golden

Cool out homie, just trying to get my points out there...

Heres a major point.

IF a company as big as SONY can send out cds with rootkits (every OS other windows not affected)

Then how are you gonna be so sure 2 unknown developers have not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

Just make it easy on yourselves people and switch to something other than windows.

I never said I was anything or knew anything special or had any certs, I dont work in IT. I dont even work anywhere but for myself.

You made the point its totally secure or whatever and I asked what where your credentials to know that.

Because the hash matches only means its the exact same copy as the provider released. It does not mean theres no rootkit.

Im not gonna be writing anything about rainbow tables or WPA because hardly anyone uses WPA, they use WEP..and WEP is a joke.

Nor did I ever say anything about those because cracking a key is a felony. I simply said borrow and I meant a unlocked signal.

LiveCD on current hardware is totally fine. THIS IS HOW CORPORATE NETWORKS GET PENETRATED EVERYDAY among many many other uses.

When I see someone recommend someone else do something when legal repercussions may be involved, I tend to want to say something about it.

If the masses cant burn an ISO and run a simple desktop linux that looks the same as the windows desktop shit, well theres no hope for humanity.

A linux livecd and linux in general are not hard nor obscure compared to windows by any stretch, if you run into a question ask google and POW answer 4 u.

Its NO BIGGIE, I dont know shit myself but I do know that Microsoft products should be left to rot.

The faster you switch to linux the better. for all of us.

If anyone would like me to delete my posts from this thread let me know. If a few people respond Ill delete everything out.

KthankxByeee

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
The faster you switch to linux the better. for all of us.

I get them all free anyway, from Ubuntu 9.10 to Windows 7 to OSX,
and everything in between. The day I can run Crysis (effectively) on the former and/or latter, I will probably switch completely. Till then, 7 is the main OS, and for millions windows will be. You have to realize, these OS's are not for everyone and simply because linux is more secure or mac is 'easier' doesn't mean they should be.

I know that this statement is completely irrelevant to the topic, but thought it was worth saying.

golden

I don't play games myself but I'm sure someone out there has crysis running on Lin better than Win..

to each his own...

Its just all these threads would not have to be written if people didn't come to a place hoping for security on a totally swiss cheese OS, just strikes me as unnecessary

TheGreenBastard

Veteran
I have yet to get a game to run on linux as well as on windows with maxed settings, also it doesn't look as good.

BTW, crysis isn't that great of a game, I just use it as a benchmark (It looks awesome). I don't really game much myself, I just like having powerful computers.

TheGreenBastard

Veteran
Nvidia 790i Ultra
2x 9600 GSO SLI (upgrading when the GTX300 series comes out, DX11)
q9550 core 2 quad @ 3.83ghz
4gb ddr3 1600mhz (gonna up it to 8gb after the card)

I hate ATI, especially since they stopped supporting physics cards

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Every network interface has a unique Mac address (physical address.) Even if you make your IP address hard to track you still have the Mac address and you can't change it.

cannabi

Every network interface has a unique Mac address (physical address.) Even if you make your IP address hard to track you still have the Mac address and you can't change it.

You have been misinformed. It is very easy to change your Mac address, you just have to run Mac MakeUp on Windows, or follow a HOWTO for Backtrack 3 regarding WiFi network penetration and you'll see how to change the silly Mac.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
If I've gotta use a software program to change the MAC, I think I'll keep things the way they are. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Latest posts