What's new

Across International

nakadashi

Has anyone ever tried to cook some food in their AI ovens under vacuum?

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/17/cooking-sous-vide-home

Same concept, no? Oddly enough I also have a dorksfood thermostat, food saver vac sealer and, ceramic heating plate... Hmm.. I could be making some dank food...
I tried to make some dried pineapple yesterday using low heat and vacuum. #1 it got a ton of water in my vac oil, who knew 3 slices of pineapple had so much water. Also the pineapple slices had the unmistakeable taste of BHO. Kind of a spicy taste boooo... So if you want to cook in the AI, make sure to hook up the cold trap and also clean the inside thoroughly first.

anonymousgrow

I put a bowl of pudding in the vacuum at ambient temps just to watch it turn into a giant piece of chocolate foam. it also pulled a bit of water out and it kept a big of its spongy texture after i brought it back down.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
So I've had a batch in for a few days now and I can't seem to get it to wax. I accidentally left it on max vac bringing it to 30 hg @115 oil temp...

It was pretty much half waxed I took out oven put in freezer flipped patty put back in oven and now no wax just pool of bubbly tacky oil wtf? Was fine til I flipped patty and forgot to adjust pressure.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
yep so i figured it out. turned my shit to straight sap. 9z nugrun allllll fuckin sap.. fuck me. all my patients want is the solid shit not this honey/sap. you live and you learn. got a new batch of sssdh in there right now wont let this batch get above 115. praying for wax

Permacultuure

Veteran
yep so i figured it out. turned my shit to straight sap. 9z nugrun allllll fuckin sap.. fuck me. all my patients want is the solid shit not this honey/sap. you live and you learn. got a new batch of sssdh in there right now wont let this batch get above 115. praying for wax

Sounds like a good opportunity to winterize....lemons into lemonade

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats what i was wondering. The pump doesn't take long to get to 750 torr, maby a minute or a bit more, its not like 20 minutes. How much faster is needed.

Did more testing today. Still cold but within the operation temps of the AI. My shelves are 1/8" aluminum, I put an inch thick piece of granite on another shelf and put a shelf on top of that granite and let the oven sit for a day to warm it all up.

Put material in and let it warm up for an hour. After that I tested the temp which was approx 115 all over. Pulled vac down to 750 torr and lots of bubbles came out. I left it for an hour or so. The vac pump was off, I then turned it on and left it on for about half an hour, lots of bubbles at first but it tapered off after awhile. Turned off the vac pump and left it for another hour, more bubbles but not a huge amount.
The torr gauge needle was a bit below 760 for awhile. I'd love to know if this is really a lower vac and not what I should be doing because it seems to be working now. If RB leaves his vac pump on wouldn't his be pulling a really low vac constantly?

Speed is relative to the observer when watching a gauge moving slower than the sweep hand on a clock in the later stages. If you are a commercial enterprise, minutes add up to hours at your loaded shop rate.

It is pulling a higher vacuum, because there is less out gassing as the solvent levels in the product are lowered. At 760 Torr, you are boiling terpenes, including the cannabinoids.

You can adjust vacuum levels by bleeding air into the oven through the back fill port.

icdog

Gw if you bleed air into the the oven to adjust the vac level wouldn't this lower the temp of the oven over time?

I tried a 6cfm dual stage vac pump. It pulled faster and seemed like more but the difference wasn't night and day compared to the 3cfm single stage.

I'd lke to get a micrometer or vac gauge that I can put in the oven separate from the gauge on the oven. Does anybody know of any?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love my Yellow Jacket 69075 electronic micron meter, had it for nearly a year and would buy it again. A $300 investment that will teach you things you're just not going to be able to understand by reading alone. And you'll always have it around for trouble shooting leaks, etc...

buder4breakfst

Hello everyone. I'm new here and was drawn to this forums specifically for this thread. I have a couple of the smaller .ai ovens with the new lower temperature controllers installed. First I'd like to go over my settings with you and then I have some questions..

Alh- 36
All - 0
R - 5
P - 60
I - 900
D - 450
Pb - 0
Pk - 0

I use the racks given and set my PV at 130. Temperatures on the top and bottom shelves seem to be up10degrees warmer than the middle shelves. The right corners on the top and bottom of my slabs end up being around 117 while the other sides and middle of slabs on top and bottom shelves are near 110. Then the middle shelves range from 100 to 107.

I've been trying to make dry crumble wax and can't seem to g soet anything to wax up properly. Been pulling the mac after the oil has been in the oven for an hr. Some slabs have been in for 2 to 3 days. The funny thing is when I dont use the ovens and the same material waxes up when whipped after 5hrs on griddle at 115.

Any thoughts on why I can't get wax in ovens?

Anyone else share there settings?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heat transfer in a vacuum is via radiation, or conduction, because there is no atmosphere present for convection transfer.

Radiant takes a long time, so you are better off relying on conduction.

The wire shelves don't transfer the heat from the heated walls as well as a solid shelf attached to those walls, and don't hold much heat to transfer to the product, or retain much when the doors are opened for loading.

I recommend that you get a marble or granite slab to place on the shelf, to add some thermal mass which holds heat and to stabilize the temperature swings of the oven.

You are in the 115F temperature range that we make shatter, but if you want wax, I suggest you go higher.

That temperature varies by strain and age of material, so you have to experiment with each batch, and it also depends on whether you pull to 29.5" Hg and slowly ramp up the temperature, or stick it in the oven at full temperature and slowly increment down the vacuum.

The former works for me between about~85F/140F and the latter between about ~150/170F.

JColtrane

Thought I'd chim in cuz I've been having some issuse with mine as well. And I get the whole thermo mass issuse, but for $2k it should hold temp right.

Done a calibration by formula a few times ... and I'd highly suggest trying it if you're having problems and if the PID controler is still not reading right, play with the Pk # until it matches. This seems like a lot of fucking around, and when you have a ton of work in front of you, there's really no time to fuck aroud! Gonna try a PID calibration tomorrow before I put it back in the box and sent that fucker back to Jersy ... lol.

Called Cascade Tek on Friday, and we might switch gears ... I'd pay a bit more for peace of mine, but that just me :)

UNREGISTRD

Thought I'd chim in cuz I've been having some issuse with mine as well. And I get the whole thermo mass issuse, but for $2k it should hold temp right.

Done a calibration by formula a few times ... and I'd highly suggest trying it if you're having problems and if the PID controler is still not reading right, play with the Pk # until it matches. This seems like a lot of fucking around, and when you have a ton of work in front of you, there's really no time to fuck aroud! Gonna try a PID calibration tomorrow before I put it back in the box and sent that fucker back to Jersy ... lol.

Called Cascade Tek on Friday, and we might switch gears ... I'd pay a bit more for peace of mine, but that just me :)

Cascade has nice stuff..I think you just gotta spend more time with your oven and see how it reacts..The oven is def not a plug/play type of unit right out the box! That said You need to build a relationship with your oven and understand how it reacts to your inputs so that you get the best output based on your knowledge....
Ie you know what temps your slabs should be at so do whatever you can to get those temps..

Permacultuure

Veteran
b4b - With certain material, like outdoor, product will wax up at lower temps. I can get slabs of wax at a temp range 110/120 throughout the oven with a 12hr purge. Maybe try backing down your temps......

JColtrane

okay, okay ... a week lost, some good material wasted, but AI finally fig'd out! Auto Tune is your friend if you're having problems. Write down the P, I, and D for records after Auto Tune is done. Take actual temp and do the calibration by formula (this took me a few times). Took GW's advice and put 2 pieces of marbleon the lower rack, and moved that rack to the lowest setting. My other rack sits two spaces above.

My oven held heat all night in the shop space where it's about in the 40's. AI said ambiant temps shouldn't effect inside oven temps.

Good luck everyone, I got work to do!!!

A6 Grower

Veteran
Been running a variety of trim/nugs some is coming out shatter or pull and snap which is what I'm going for but I keep having some strains wax up on me even at low temps like 100(oil surface temp with it gun) I've tried more heat and less purge time but I don't feel like its fully purged as it tends to wax up after 2-4 hours in the oven. Other slabs, most of my Slabs are 100-130g thinned out on a 14x14 marble tile, can sit in the oven all night with no issues and come out perfect and snap right in half. Running low heat on my mkiii never higher then 90 usually around 75 to 80, my storage tank is in a freezer at 0f, I let my oil warm up in the oven before pulling vac. I keep thinking its something Im doing but my tech is the same every time I just keep getting mixed results. Any tips?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Did two runs today with OG trim and buds. First one went into the purge pot, while
we ran the second. When the second run was done, the first came out to make room and looked
like yellow window glass. You could read a newspaper through it. Whipped some air into it and stuck it in the vac oven.
Second run in the purge pot, only drew -10 for about and hour, went and checked on it, it was already waxing.

Took it out, whipped it a little, stuck it in the oven with the first batch, which still looked like window glass.

All variables were the same. Same washes, temps, purge times, strain, etc.
I have an idea what the difference was, but would love to hear your ideas...

Al customer service gets an A+++ in my books, called them regarding inconsistent temperatures within the oven, they had my new low proportional gain controller sent out that evening. Bravo. If any of you folks still have the older controler, by all means, give them a call today.