What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aceh weed (Indonesia's finest)

World Paranoid

I am a dailyx10 smoker (for 40 years) from nyc and am in Indonesia for 3 months-Paranoia has set in but I am anxiously going to Gili next week (its been a month of semi-agonizing drynes) for a much deserved veg-out. Can you recommend any other islands in Indonesia that are "from what I've heard" LAX, and well stocked and east or north (not going to Java or Sumatra) of Gili, like Gili???
Please any info would be gratefully helpful!!

World Paranoid

looking in all the wrong places...

looking in all the wrong places...

I am a dailyx10 smoker (for 40 years) from nyc and am in Indonesia for 3 months-Paranoia has set in but I am anxiously going to Gili next week (its been a month of semi-agonizing drynes) for a much deserved veg-out. Can you recommend any other islands in Indonesia that are "from what I've heard" LAX, and well stocked and east or north (not going to Java or Sumatra) of Gili, like Gili???

World Paranoid

please advise

please advise

:dance013:
It's only that you can't be too carefull in such a country. It's nothing personal since we haven't ever met. Please do not offended.

Siever

World Paranoid

P.S. I just came from a month in Kalimantan and didnt find anything, now in Sarawak and scored twice (if you can call scoring 1 joint worth!) first joint was $28 US and didnt burn, 2nd was $6 US and was alright. But I'm back to Indonesia next week and I'm "Jonesing" any island suggestions besides Bali and Gili for some "safety" abundant purchases? Please heeeeelp!

Siever

Veteran

never been there, so don't know jack about it.
B.T.W. I think with my name under your message it seems like I've send the message which I haven't. If I were you I'd be very carefull out there and perhaps even wouldn't smole for the whole tie. Imagine how high you'll be when you smoke your first back in NY.

Siever

was a grower

I grew strains from the northern part of Sumatera for a good few years & did not once get a proper female plant. I had proper males but every single females were hermies.. South Sumatera strains however had plenty of proper females & non hermies, although the high isn't as intense as the northern sumatera strains.

baduy

In samosir now,and generally speaking in all Eastern Sumatra all guys are growing hybrids now and are very proud of it...
In Aceh You still can find some good smoke but it's most often harvested to soon and growers have no sense of selecting for next generations,well how could they tell if they harvest before knowing what their plant are worth?
The best weed I've smoked in all Indonesia was collected from jungly escaped semi feral plants in Aceh while jungle trekking, as nobody cared (and possibly nobody knew) the plant was left to herself and I could collect a few nice buds. As it was "not too rainy" season I could cure them decently "jungle style". Sadly I was staying in Indon at the time and growing there is not an option unless you're calling for trouble so I didn't keep any seeds. That was nice tropical smoke,energetic,clear headed,potent but not very long lasting,earthy taste and no coughlock crash. The perfect social smoke but sure no breeding material for a cup winner.
In fact in Indonesia aceh might be the last place for finding a strain worth the ride ( No western papua is NOT Indonesia it's an Indonesian colony but if I was still there I think that's where I'd rather go searching ) as ganja culture is still vivid there. If you go there ask for "dodol aceh" or "dodol ganja" in the countryside it's a local traditional space cake,nice. Apart from Sumatra Indonesia is maybe the worst place on earth for a smoker,and I say that as someone who has stayed in really shitty places. Don't believe people who tell you that you can find good weed in gili islands or Bali that's just overpriced shwag from god knows where that the beach "kowboys" sell to tourists,of course they will tell you it's from Aceh but truth is they have no idea.
The best point with weed in Indonesia is knowing that it's even worse in Malaysia.
I mean there probably used to be some good landraces there but hmm how many of us would still be growing and breeding if it was a case for death penalty where we live.
Nothing but smuggler stuff left and the occasional monoecious feral plant, much of a challenge for the indoor breeder who would want to make something interesting out of it
Cheers.

Jablon

Hi VesperPotts, nice one man. Mantep! I wonder how we can do the exchange because I am really super interested to grow our landrace strain too. Thinking of the safest way to do this for both you and I already makes my head ache. O my, I really want to grow them. It has been very dry these days. I will contact you by PM once my post has reached 50. I am more active at the other forum, the 420 one.
Anyone has any idea how we can do this? I know it is obviously dangerous for both of us, and I know myself that I am not in the enforcement but who can vouch for me right. Haha. Fuck. I think we can use bitcoin for the cost and as for the seed itself, I will find a way.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Acording to several sources from back in the days, Lake Toba and Tuk Tuk used to be the land of some of the best NLDs, along with other legendary plants as Budhda Thai Sticks, Malawi Gold, Panama Red, Oaxacan and so on. according to several sources from the 70s.

all guys are growing hybrids now and are very proud of it...

So sad... I feel it's tragic to see how what happened in Colombia and Mexico already is happening all over the world now.

I guess dealers won't understand that if someone travels to SE Asia, is not to smoke a shitty hybrid he can smoke whenever he wants and much better grown, but to smoke something different and exotic. Or at least that's how I see it.

Siever

Veteran
not every heirloom variety is worth growing and some modern hybrids are definately worth growing, think Destroyer or Zamaldelica

Organik

The Sumatran rainforest will mostly disappear within 20 years

The Sumatran rainforest will mostly disappear within 20 years

In only a few years, logging and agribusiness have cut Indonesia's vast rainforest by half.
Indonesia's rainforests - especially those on Borneo island - are being stripped so rapidly by illegal logging and palm oil plantations for biofuels, they could be wiped out altogether within the next 15 years, some environmentalists predict.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/26/sumatra-borneo-deforestation-tigers-palm-oil
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/04/business/worldbusiness/04iht-logging.1.5985169.html

Last edited:

baduy

So sad... I feel it's tragic to see how what happened in Colombia and Mexico already is happening all over the world now.
The weed you can meet more north in Aceh doesn't seem much adulterated, very lanky plants, very low yelders, foxtail hermies. Pleasant high but very low potency which might be due to sloppy growing and harvesting unripe plants.

baduy

In Indonesia the only pristine area of significant size left is Irian Jaya. Unfortunately that's where most of the transmigrasi program is directed. Now the native papuan population is outnumbered by Indonesian migrants (nice people who just want to stay alive) and mining companies are hyperactive there.

baduy

Hi mustafunk didn't you post pictures of a Papuan landrace in it's native environment somewhere in IC?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Yeah I remember those pics from a guy who spent some weeks living with the highlanders... hardcore guys lol.

The potency and unripe thing is a general issue with many local heirlooms, as farmers normally don't smoke or have a big amount of information about the plant. Most simply harvest "when the white hairs appear", like some traditional farmers said in some interviews lol.

Lysterium

picture.php

Harvested at 14 weeks of flowering (atjeh landrace)
Dang it has almost no trichomes and less potent, smoked 2 blunt of it n just a bit blazed

Latest posts

Latest posts