What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Purple Satellite

Hookahhead

I would almost grow this just to see those purple stems first hand. Absolutely beautiful plants everyone, thanks for sharing!

SolarLogos

Week 11 of veg.

Week 11 of veg.

These girls are in week 11 now. They are going to get transplanted this weekend. I am inclined to put them in the ground and put a net over them to bend them down, maybe get more yield out of them.

I'll post more pics after they have settled into their new pots.
Thanks for stopping by.

Peace, God bless

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Here is a quick picture of a tall PS on the left, easily over my head now. Next to her is the Nevil's Haze x Panama, both started at the same time and in week 11 of veg.

Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Pur update

Pur update

We are in week 11 now. When we started we had 13 hours of daylight, now we are at the longest days of year at 14 hours 52 minutes and we go back down.
Week 3, plants started feeding 300 ppm organic grow formula 3-2-4 twice per week, increasing to 600 ppm and 850 ppm the last week. I will continue to feed these every 3 days or so as needed.

Temperatures started out around 90F in the greenhouse and have stayed between 95-104F the past few weeks and should stay at least into the 90's until mid-sept or so. These plants take the heat without any problems at all.
Here is a male

A female

I'll get pics up later today. As a side note, two Honduras x Panama are showing hairs today.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

I would almost grow this just to see those purple stems first hand. Absolutely beautiful plants everyone, thanks for sharing!

Ditto this; those last pics got me going;)
Thanks for the comments guys, these colors get me too every time I go outside. The purple is such a deep dark purple with some maroon/burgundy. Purple Satellite Haze sounds good, might have to get some purple haze to cross it with:biggrin:
I can't wait for some flowers now.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Purple Satellite

Purple Satellite

Here are the two female purple satellite's that I am keeping, in week 11 outdoors. So far, these have been really easy to grow. They were a little sensitive to nutrients at 3-5 weeks of age, but after that they feed the same as the other plants. If anything, they are starting to become heavy feeders. I've been feeding 850 ppm every 4 days and plan to increase it to every two days. I've got more peat mixed to transplant these two, but giving the mix another day before giving it a final pH and get these two into 15 gallon/57 liter smart pots.

Beautiful plants, colorful, absolutely love growing them; would fit well in any garden. If there weren't plant limits, I would grow a few every year just for the color and over all beauty of these PS.

Peace, God bless

NENugger

Male already showing balls . will pollinate a branch of fem outdoors when buds form.
picture.php

Female after topping.

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
Nice work Solar they're coming along. I'm back to being frustrated, the hair I thought I saw disappeared. Now I have zero showing sex in late June which is weird. Almost all my other plants have either shown female hairs or are showing suspicious primordials. So I have no idea which are boys or girls.

They're filling in a bit but still quite lanky. It's almost like growing a single branch of a huge equatorial plant this is probably the lankiest strain I've ever seen. Of course that means nothing when it starts to flower, I've seen thin branches fill in with dense flowers.

My weather's been cool and wet in the mid 60s, most days not reaching 70 degrees F. Typical PNW June weather. Doesn't phase them, they're not growing rapidly but they aren't stunted. Another weird trait, I've put 3 of them in deep holes full of manure and organic fertilizers. I've got one rootbound in what is now a tiny container. They look the same. My other rootbound plants are wilting every day, getting hungry, objecting to their rootbound condition. My PS in the ground are bigger and stockier but not by much, the rootbound one is fine.

SolarLogos

Nice work Solar they're coming along. I'm back to being frustrated, the hair I thought I saw disappeared. Now I have zero showing sex in late June which is weird. Almost all my other plants have either shown female hairs or are showing suspicious primordials. So I have no idea which are boys or girls.

They're filling in a bit but still quite lanky. It's almost like growing a single branch of a huge equatorial plant this is probably the lankiest strain I've ever seen. Of course that means nothing when it starts to flower, I've seen thin branches fill in with dense flowers.

My weather's been cool and wet in the mid 60s, most days not reaching 70 degrees F. Typical PNW June weather. Doesn't phase them, they're not growing rapidly but they aren't stunted. Another weird trait, I've put 3 of them in deep holes full of manure and organic fertilizers. I've got one rootbound in what is now a tiny container. They look the same. My other rootbound plants are wilting every day, getting hungry, objecting to their rootbound condition. My PS in the ground are bigger and stockier but not by much, the rootbound one is fine.
I don't know if this sheds any light on your question regarding the rootbound plants. These like to grow roots straight down and not too the sides (probably why they are tall and lanky, since roots grow to the edge of canopy). My biggest plant was also in the smallest pot. Here is what it looked like this morning when I transplanted it. Roots all bound on the bottom, but not spreading and wrapping around the sides of the pot.

What are your thoughts? How deep are your holes? I'm guessing depth, not width is most important with these plants.
Peace, God bless

therevverend

Veteran
It's the 4th of July and I'm down from 4 plants to 2, removed two males. I had to resort to cheating, getting a sex test but only on two plants. As much for the novelty of the new tech as anything. Now I wish I'd payed for all 4 it seemed like a waste of money at the time. I've got almost every male of my other strains removed to the Boy's Club or culled, all the females sexed and in the ground. I can't say I'm 100% on my male sexing but I'm 98%. I'll be shocked if one shows hairs.

Which leaves the Purple Satellites. Not only have they not sexed, they haven't shown a pre-flower. What I keep thinking are pre-flowers turn out to be leaves. Interesting stuff, if all four turn out to be males I won't be surprised. A lot of males don't pre-flower, wait until they start to go full on flowering before sexing. This is why I said I'm not 100% on my Boy's Club some are showing sketchy pre-flowers not real full on balls. It's rare but I've seen a plant not show female until August 2nd.

Early sexual determination is a trait like any other, passed down from parents. Some strains love to pop female hairs early in May, others are more stubborn. My Royal Kush hybrid is a bad one, it likes to wait later then most of my other strains. I have a friend who believes allowing plants to become root bound, a bit nutrient deficient, will stress them just enough that they pop pre-flowers. From my observations, especially watching closely this year, I've decided the opposite is true.

My observation over the years is that a plant with plenty of root space that gets big early is much more likely to sex then a rootbound plant in a smaller container. There's a direct link I believe between size and lots of rapid new growth and sex determining. Cloudy cool weather seems to trigger pre-flowers as well. This isn't scientific, I haven't tested thousands of plants of different strains in a scientific manner. I could be 100% wrong but it's what I think I'm seeing.

Back to my Satellites, one is in the ground and one rootbound in a container. Both are the purple phenotype. I mentioned last time the rootbound one was holding up well in a container. Now the difference in size and bushiness is obvious, I need to get it in the ground or a larger container. I keep waiting because I don't want to waste the dirt and space on a male and each day it doesn't sex it becomes more likely it's male.

I may cry if my beautiful purple plant in the ground is male especially because I was sure it was female a couple weeks back. It's well over my head, here's a picture.

picture.php

You can see it's filling in nicely, has the profile of a female. It's still got another month before it starts to flower, plenty of time to bush out even more. Glad I didn't top it, fits the spot perfectly. I like to utilize vertical height as opposed to horizontal. It's taking up a spot though, if it is male I'll need to replace it. Either with one of my males that's really a she or a scrag, it's an itch that needs scratching. I really don't want to dig it up and replace it, only to have it turn out female. Of course it's root bound brother/sister could exchange places if it's female.

An interesting aspect of this, it's a photo-sensitive strain and sometimes they show the same trait as most males. Not wanting to sex until they're ready to flower. It could still be a long wait. Another aspect is that I don't really need it for breeding. I still have plenty of PS seeds left and I'd like to know more about it's traits and it's effects before I decide what I want to cross it with. I've got ideas but I already have plenty of nice males, it's easy to overwhelm yourself by trying to make too many different crosses. And the more males the more loose pollen you've got and I like to limit my mistake seeds to 3 or 4 different proven varieties.

I should mention that I don't believe this strain is any more likely to produce males then any other. I think it's just bad luck. Overall I've had a 3 to 1 ratio of females to males, if all 4 turn out male it just means the odds are balancing out. Really my luck has been excellent this year. The plants I eyeballed early as females, gave prime spots in the garden, mostly were female. 8 out of 10 of my initial planting. And the ones I let get root bound, guessed were more likely males tended to be males. I'd like to think it's because I've got a sharp eye but it could all be luck.

Of course there's hermaphrodites but I don't want to think about that..

SolarLogos

It's the 4th of July and I'm down from 4 plants to 2, removed two males. I had to resort to cheating, getting a sex test but only on two plants. As much for the novelty of the new tech as anything. Now I wish I'd payed for all 4 it seemed like a waste of money at the time. I've got almost every male of my other strains removed to the Boy's Club or culled, all the females sexed and in the ground. I can't say I'm 100% on my male sexing but I'm 98%. I'll be shocked if one shows hairs.

Which leaves the Purple Satellites. Not only have they not sexed, they haven't shown a pre-flower. What I keep thinking are pre-flowers turn out to be leaves. Interesting stuff, if all four turn out to be males I won't be surprised. A lot of males don't pre-flower, wait until they start to go full on flowering before sexing. This is why I said I'm not 100% on my Boy's Club some are showing sketchy pre-flowers not real full on balls. It's rare but I've seen a plant not show female until August 2nd.
Your PS have me stumped. One of my males is already dropping pollen and the other two are getting ready to start opening as well. My females are in flower. There is latitude and environment, but your is also a different pheno than mine: leaf shape, number of fingers, branching, color, etc. Maybe PM Vermontman.

Here are my two girls:

Daylight descending and we are at 14 Hrs. 44 min. today. Weather has been in the mid 90's all week. Plants are taking water daily and feeding liquid organic bloom nutrients, 880 ppm 2-3 times per week and are happy. So far, no real detectable smells when I do a stem rub. Plants are taller than me now, about 6 foot.
Peace, God bless

therevverend

Veteran
These like to grow roots straight down and not too the sides

I finally got around to transplanting my rootbound plant and it's exactly the same as yours. Up and down not side to side. Made me choose a different container to transplant into, a deeper instead of a wider one. For a leggy tall plant it makes sense, in a windstorm you want deep roots rather then shallow. Definitely showing a few hemp/landrace type traits I don't often see in drug strains.

There is latitude and environment, but your is also a different pheno than mine: leaf shape, number of fingers, branching, color, etc.

I notice you said you aren't getting a smell from a stem rub, mine still smell like tropical fruit. Some of the differences are most likely environmental, You're in the 90s F, mine are in the high 60s low 70s. You're giving yours bloom nutrients, I'm blasting mine with high N fish emulsion (once a week), horse manure, epsom salts, and 2-4-2 organic vegetable fertilizer (top dressing). Yours are flowering, mine are still in Veg. This could account for the different branching, leaf shape, and color. At least some of it...this strain is a little odd. Mine are the purple pheno but there could be quite a bit of difference in that pheno.

I'll get a picture of my rootbound plant soon, nothing too exciting. Not as solidly built and bushy, makes a huge difference sticking a plant in the ground vs rootbound in a container.

One of my males is already dropping pollen and the other two are getting ready to start opening as well. My females are in flower.

That's crazy but it's got to be photo period. You're flowering under 15 hours of light. I'm still at almost 16 hours a day. I've been over 15 since the middle of May, I won't cross it until the last day of July. Don't go under 14 until the last part of August, which is when most of my plants show the first sign of flowering. It's tough growing this far north, the tropical strains don't do well.

To do a proper pre-sexing I'd need to get my seeds started earlier. The Satellites sprouted in the last few days of March. By the start of May when the days were still under 15 hours they were too small to show pre-flowers. By the time they got their 5th and 6th set of leaves it was over 15 hours and too late. I'm thinking if I sprout them by March 15th they should be big enough to sex in mid May when I could get them in the ground and grow them to a respectable size and yield.

I think your plants went right into flowering not long after sexing. I'm thinking that's what mine will do. The latest I've had a plant show female was August 3rd, I don't want to break that record!

SolarLogos

I didn't realize the light difference was so much between us. A light dep greenhouse would be perfect there. Also,I thought you would find this interesting, it's by Vermontman on another thread about PS. I had already thrown my clones straight into 12/12, so we will see what happens.

Hey Canna!
Sounds terrific just be careful of the light change indoors, if you cut right down to 12/12 to flower they will stress and put out sacks, I would go to 15 for a few weeks down to 13 for a few then down to 12 to finish. I have finished them inside, but they are very adapted to far north outdoors for very early Fall harvest.
The Nepali coming from many generation in Denmark are used to 20+ hours summer sunlight in a day. Hope you will post more of your grow here.
Happy gardening!
and again

See how they play out When I ran some at 12/12 they formed male flowers just at the very tip of some buds which were easy to detect and therefore easily removed. And no seeds resulted the same happened to a buddy of mine at 12/12 and he picked them off with no seeds resulting. The Oaxacan in the cross help tame that a little bit. Outdoors I ran many, many plants and fellow gardeners I supplied with outdoor plants not even so much as a nanner. The good thing is if you bring those cuts back to 24 hors of light and get a good strong veg on them and then mind the light cycle for next batch to flower they should be fine the next go round, just remember again, just slight down shift in the light cycle.
There was A guy on here that did a grow thread on indoor straight Baglung Nepali and his flowered on an 18 hour lights on once they got chronologically mature indoors with no other affects.
That all said that is what gets them to come in from outside so early in the season, and though the Nepali is no sloutch for potency the Oaxacann takes it over the top for Quality, and the cherry smell in mid flowering is quite amazing and many will sport Fucshia pistils. I am happy you posted, I want everyone who got these to e able to enjoy them at there fullest potential.
By the way, he also wrote, which got me excited:
Hey man!
I need to test and retest before I do any releases But she is looking like she is showing lots of promise. Today I scrapped two strains for poor performance. But this one is showing real promise.

ZACATECAS TRIBUTE
BG SUR HOLY WEED X OAXACAN GOLD
FALL RELEASE ACE
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Purple Satellite males

Purple Satellite males

Here is a Purple Satellite clone that has started opening. He was kept outdoors until his pollen sacs took decent shape, then indoors by a window.

Some open sacs

We are at 14 hrs 45 minutes of daylight per day and descending.
Peace, God bless

NENugger

Purple Satellite female outdoors in 5 gal grow bag. Topped, need to put in ground soon.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

have a male indoors, will bring outside soon

SolarLogos

Purple Satellite update

Purple Satellite update

Here are a couple of close up pics of my PS. PS#1 has buds stacking up all along the branches that I think will merge to become nice long colas.

My other OD female is PS#5 and she is branchy with smaller buds, doesn't look like she will put on the colas like #1, but still be branched out.

The clones,(indoors) are starting 6 weeks of flower. They took at least 3 weeks to start putting out hairs and have really only started putting on buds in the past 2.5 weeks or so. They went from 18 hours of light to 10.5 hours. So far, no balls or banana's.

PS 7,5 & 1

Outdoors, temperatures have been between 95-105F. We are at 103 today and the next few days.

Daylight today is: 14 hours 40 minutes.
Average RH this time of year is about 50%
Feeding 850 ppm 3 x per week.
Thanks for stopping by.

Peace, God bless

Nexus7

Any chance of ever seeing a:

Vermont Man '79 Oaxacan skull (m) x '79 Oaxacan clone (f) sourced by CBG?

Peace,

N7