What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Not an Ace line, but here's Alien Dawg Ether x Alien Orange Cookies @ just under 5 wks under the screw in LEDs:
picture.php

The Ethiopian x Zamaldelicas are getting large rather quickly. The male is very airy and nearly 2m tall outdoors. I have a feeling I will be raising my 240w Blackstar to handle the additional vertical growth of the females.

The mango-citric 60/40 Zamaldelica leaning Ethiopian x Zamaldelica at 2 weeks:
picture.php

The 60/40 topped Ethiopian leaning Ethiopian x Zamaldelica at 1 week:
picture.php

Runty Ethiopian looking Ethiopian x Zamaldelica at 1 week:
picture.php

Ethiopian x Mauritius topped and vegging:
picture.php

Levitationofme

:good:
Beautiful stuff. Them is some thick stems!
I have some
Ethiopian x Mauritius myself. Interested in how they grow indoors. Nice I wont have to figure it all out myself

Terpene

Veteran
Here's the male Ethiopian x Zamaldelica around 2 weeks in under the noonday sun:
picture.php

After pollen collection, I will be hacking this one back like a rose bush and revegging him.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
The mango-citric 60/40 Zamaldelica leaning Ethiopian x Zamaldelica at 2 weeks

Look at all those bud sites!

I really like what you are doing with the screw-in leds. I'd used a couple on the shady outside edges, but nothing like what you have so effectively done as main lighting. This looks like a fairly safe fire-wise grow (given good wiring) - something I always consider or worry about.

Terpene

Veteran
The 240w Blackstar (which is lighting the ZamxEthios) was attached to yo-yos for better adjustability as the plants are getting stupidly tall. The untopped mango-citric 60/40 Zamaldelica leaning pheno is very much reminding me of the "scary" Thai-Zamal pheno of Zamaldelica from years past, but its happier, healthier and better smelling. Heres a shot of it at 3 weeks / 2 meters tall:
picture.php

The topped 60/40 Ethiopian leaning pheno at 2 weeks is roughly the same height (1.3m) as the runty pheno which isnt topped. It's developing a weird lemony, dill pickle smell and it is getting more and more sandwich pickle-ish by the day. I think this is the fermented lemons that Dubi is talking about:
picture.php

The untopped runty Ethiopian looking pheno has a nice, limes and berryish flintstones vitamins smell at 2 weeks:
picture.php

5.5 weeks of screw in LED lighting on the Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
Male Zamaldelica x Ethiopian at about 3 weeks:
picture.php

Even on a solid white background, the density of the branching makes it difficult to see what I consider to be the ethiopian style development. By that I mean the branches come off the main stem in a U-shaped fashion which is different than the more straight, V-shaped branching I am used to with the Zamaldelicas. The smell off the male is also very lemony - I am covered in pollen and smell very lemon-citric after harvesting the male's branches (not a bad cologne :laughing:).

Terpene

Veteran
I know, I missed my calling as a florist.:biggrin:

The male makes a really nice snowflake pattern out of its pollen. I've been dipping a small makeup brush into it so I can selectively dust the mango-citric female:
picture.php

Lammy

You just have the branches in a cup of water at this point? Do you store the pollen long-term? If so how do you go about that? Dry it out and then put it in a container in the fridge?

I used to just label a bunch of Ziploc sandwich bags and put them over the male branches and Shake It gently. Then store them in the fridge. They keep for an inconsistent amount of time. I think I need to dry them out first. I started scraping pollen off the mirror and putting it in a small jar in the fridge but I'm thinking I should have dried the pollen out first. I can't really take a whole lot of risk and pollinating my garden. A few people I deal with if they find any seeds at all they won't be interested in the product. But the sandwich bag method is pretty reliable if I use the pollen within a couple of months. It's pretty easy and convenient as well.

A lot of times I like to dedicate an entire female to production and I'll take it lightly smack the male up against her. That pretty much guarantees hundreds of seeds on a small female

Terpene

Veteran
Yep, thats a standard flower vase with tap water and stems cut at a 45 degree angle like clones. I prefer to use live pollen right off the plant from the same day as its always 100% viable. If you're doing multiple collections, change the water every 3 days or so and the branches will keep producing for a couple weeks.

When I do actually save pollen, the mirror the vase sits on acts as a collection plate. Pollen is cleaned off / scooped up with a razor blade. The collected pollen gets tossed in plastic salsa containers from the local burrito shop with desiccant packs (commonly found in supplements, vitamins, etc).

Stored pollen is kept in a closet at room temps. I have had decent results with this method in terms of long term storage, but the pollen definitely is less viable the longer its kept around. I generally try to use anything I collect within a month or two.

Lammy

I guess considering how easy it is my ziplock method is pretty good. Last time I did that I think I was still using the pollen probably six months later. The same sandwich bag a few times. To pollinate the female I put the sandwich bag over the Target branch after trimming the leaves back a little bit for maximum contact.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Terpene :)

Great job as usual! I just read your Honduras smoke report in the Honduras thread!
I'm SO glad to know that she has quickly become a favourite in your menu ;) I think you are the first person (outside my close circle) to harvest and smoke this new landrace sativa, your feedback is much appreciated friend! :huggg:

The new ethiopian crosses look happy and healthy as they can be.
Very promising! I will follow the rest of their flowering with lot of interest. Thanks!

Terpene

Veteran
Thanks Dubi! The chance to run the pure Honduras was very much appreciated!

I didn't realize that I spaced putting my review of the Honduras smoke on this thread:
The Honduras smoke is very similar to Ace Purple Haze phenos or highland Colombians mixed with Panamanian. Its possibly the kindest effect I've ever had: very positive, social, comfortable, clear but dreamy, a little bit disorienting and has no ceiling. You're having such a good time you want to smoke more and you tend to not realize you're already stoned as hell. You could sum it up best by telling someone they'll be saying "Whaaaaa?" a lot. :D Despite the difference in bud structure, both plants have (near as makes no difference to) the same effects with the stretchier one being slightly more fragrant and haze-like. I've only had this one in a jar for a couple days and its already a house favorite.

picture.php

The Ethiopian x Mauritius have been transplanted to 3L pots and show sex very early (roughly 25-30cm or so). Of the four plants, 3 have shown female and 1 is male. Within the kept 3 females, there are two Ethiopian leaning plants (left / center) and a Mauritius leaning plant (right). It has been VERY easy to tell the Ethiopian influence from the Mauritius influence! Ethiopian's (somewhat fermented) lemons smell and open, airy structure is very different than mauritius leaning plants which are somewhat similar to Malawi - rotting forest floor, dank, somewhat rude smelling plants with shorter internodal space / denser growth habit.

picture.php

The Zamaldelica x Ethiopian trio continues to stretch in flower, though I believe at 4.5 weeks, we're nearing the end of vertical growth. The tallest plant (mango citric zamaldelica leaning) is exactly 2m from the floor and was brush pollinated with the ethiopian male for personal F2s. The other two are at 3.5 weeks and are still adding bud sites and stretching to catch up to their slightly older sister. As you can see, if I decide to keep running untopped plants, I will need to rethink my mylar situation. I will probably drop the mirrored mylar for the patterned mylar to make things easier to see.
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
The overall shot was ugly, and that bothered me, so here are the three Zamaldelica x Ethiopians close up:

Mango citric Zamaldelica leaning (4.5 weeks):
picture.php

topped Ethiopian leaning pheno (3.5 weeks):
picture.php

runty Ethiopian pheno (3.5 weeks):
picture.php

Just cause, here are some shots of that Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether under the screw in leds at 8 weeks:
picture.php

picture.php

G

You REALLY missed your call as a florist :biggrin:
Supreme pics,amazing plants from all the spectrum of genetics ...You really like what you do and your plants like it even more.
I'm already sold on the screw-ins,too. Do you also use any UV lights ?I might have missed...
Respect.

Terpene

Veteran
Thanks syd.
No UV lights, just twelve 16w screw in leds (3000k) and four 14w screw in leds (5000k) are all that have lit the AOCxADE. The other side of the room with my zamaldelica x ethiopians is a single blackstar 240w.

ULMW

The overall shot was ugly, and that bothered me, so here are the three Zamaldelica x Ethiopians close up:

Mango citric Zamaldelica leaning (4.5 weeks):
View Image

topped Ethiopian leaning pheno (3.5 weeks):
View Image

runty Ethiopian pheno (3.5 weeks):
View Image

Just cause, here are some shots of that Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether under the screw in leds at 8 weeks:
View Image

View Image

Terpene,
Wow! wow! double Wow Again! You are rocking them LEDs and lovely array of Ace seeds and girls. Thanks for the pics and reports as they do inspire and help farmers to better choose when time comes to ordering. Glad your male Ethiopian is doing well and that you like the strain. I have been working with her in Ethiopia and now for a couple of years outside of Ethiopia but with the same Landrace seeds I used in Ethiopia, just indoors. First year was pure soil grow and then this time I am trying Coco. Already she has overtaken my tiny tent... Gotta love the power and vigor of the Ethiopian strain. Am sure the crosseswith Zamakdelica will be just as you imagined. Enjoy and keep up the brilliant effort! Happy harvesting and growing throughout 2017 n onwards...