What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Heres a pic of the 3 grades from 1 batch, using everclear -
maybe the top layer (best grade/most translucent) was the AA, and then when I started scraping I might have been getting some left over waxes on this dish from when I made budder w/ dried buds hours previous.. I dunno.. does this happen to anyone else?
picture.php

picture.php

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Jump- until recently you have been adamant about using fresh over dried materials.. Any idea what the difference was between this time when you got it using dry and the time previous in this thread when it came out runny?

-Whats your take on using trim vs buds? can u get aa using good trim, but not necessarily buds? So far I have only gotten it using bottom buds..

-I think I figured out why my second batch of amber came out in 3 different grades.. I think its cause I used everclear, which is 95%, whereas the previous batch was using 99-100% etoh.. when the everclear evap's it leaves a whiteish film of impurity, whereas the etoh leaves no film. I prefer the everclear because I think it has alcohol less after taste.. guess ill have to do with the occasional opaque shatter..

daheadies

poppin' outta control

Stonespaceship

To be sure I understand correctly before I attempt this, this is what I've learned from this thread:

Equipment:
Frozen 99% Isopropyl Alcohol(I'm Californian)
Frozen Ground Weed
Frozen Extraction Jar
Evaporation Jar
Frozen Butane
Coffee Filters

Process:
Step 1
Grind weed, place in extraction jar and freeze. Freeze butane and alcohol.
Step 2
Submerge the weed in butane and cover for 15 minutes.
Step 3
Strain the butane through a coffee filter into the evaporation jar.
Step 4
Evaporate butane to form the concrete.
Step 5
Dissolve concrete into 99% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 6
Freeze solution.
Step 7
Strain frozen solution through a coffee filter.
Step 8
Evaporate solution forming an absolute.
Step 9
Collect the absolute.

Am I missing or adding anything unnecessary? Isn't it dangerous to seal liquid butane in a sealed glass jar? That sounds like a bomb lol.

jump117

Veteran
Hi Stonespaceship!

Process:
Step 1
Do NOT grind weed, place in extraction jar and freeze. Freeze butane. Do NOT freeze alcohol, leave it at room temperature.
Step 2
Submerge the weed in butane and cover but NOT SEALED, regularly shake or stir for 15 minutes (or much longer if use thermos).
Step 3
Strain the butane through a coffee filter into the evaporation jar.
Step 4
Evaporate butane to form the concrete.
Step 5
Dissolve concrete into 99% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 6
Freeze solution.
Step 7
Strain frozen solution through a coffee filter.
Step 8
Evaporate solution forming an absolute.
Step 9
Collect the absolute.

Sure it is very dangerous to seal liquid butane in a jar, I never recommend this.
The cover is not hermetically seal the extractor. Steamy gas must freely go into the atmosphere,
the pressure should not increase inside the extractor, avoid bombs.
In order to minimize the loss of butane and increase the duration of extraction, use a thermos or thermo-insulate your extraction jar.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
few new pics

picture.php

The stuff thats not amber is stuff from the last scrapes of the plate..
picture.php

All the pieces molded together
picture.php

JUMP-
picture.php

I have heard you go back and forth now about using dry and wet trim.. What really gets me is your picture proof early in this thread when you showed dry and wet using same method, and dry came out gooey... What was different your second go around w/ dry that made it come out amber?? any suggestions? I have yet to get it w/ dry and have tried that many times, but not since I got it w/ the wet stuff.. but im doing it the same way..

jump117

Veteran
In my understanding, amber is a fossilized resin. It is brittle, fragile and splitting to sharp edged shards when broken.
I just do not know what name to call this thing when amber is flexible and it can be bent without heating. "taffy-amber" ?

Unfortunately, I can not confidently answer what distinguishes the two extractions from the dry,
when one turned as sticky dense fluid and other hard and brittle.

Absurd but may be influenced by seasonality?
That sticky, I was producing a very hot summer and the last shatter as recently as the snow in our area have not yet gone so far.

I also can not imagine what it is separated from the extract obtained from dried after ethanol has evaporated.
picture.php

Why do I think that this is not the residual ethanol, but something similar in physical and chemical properties to the desired resin.
Somehow this is not observed in experiments with fresh.

jump117

Veteran
That sticky, I was producing a very hot summer and the last shatter as recently as the snow in our area have not yet gone so far.
A note on the impact of climate and/or storage conditions on the balance THCA/THC,
which determines the consistency of the extract.

Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids

Grotenhermen, F.
Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Volume 42, Number 4, 2003 , pp. 327-360(34)​
Taken from the International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines webiste (link):
Quote:
In the plant the cannabinoids exist mainly in their carboxylic forms as cannabinoid acids. However, the phenolic form of THC is responsible for the psychotropic and the most medicinal effects. Decarboxylation (separation of CO2) to the phenolic form occurs readily over time, upon heating or under alkaline conditions.

The ratio of THC acids (THCA) to phenolic THC has been reported to range between 2:1 (Africa) and >20:1 (Switzerland) in leaves and flowers of Cannabis sativa.

In plants grown in Middle Europe (United Kingdom) from Moroccan, Sri Lankan and Zambian seed stocks the THCA/THC ratio was 17:1 compared with 2:1 in the plants from the original areas (Africa, Asia).

In hashish (cannabis resin) the THCA/THC ratio was reported to range between 6.1:1 and 0.5:1, the latter in hashish from India. Thus, the percentage of phenolic THC of all THC in cannabis products varied between less than 5% in cannabis leaves grown in Switzerland up to 65% in hashish from India.

Cannabis products with a high content of phenolic THC (e.g. hashish) may be very potent without heating, but usually the potency of cannabis products is considerably increased with heating (smoking, cooking).

Modified according to: Grotenhermen F. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids. Clinical Pharmacokinetics 2001, in press​
It seems that in hot countries natural decarboxylation is faster than in the cold.
Сolder climate, the harder the amber. :)

jump117

Veteran
on Climate

on Climate

A note on the impact of climate and/or storage conditions on the balance THCA/THC,

Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids

Grotenhermen, F.
Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Volume 42, Number 4, 2003 , pp. 327-360(34)​
Taken from the International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines webiste (link):
Quote:
In the plant the cannabinoids exist mainly in their carboxylic forms as cannabinoid acids. However, the phenolic form of THC is responsible for the psychotropic and the most medicinal effects. Decarboxylation (separation of CO2) to the phenolic form occurs readily over time, upon heating or under alkaline conditions.

The ratio of THC acids (THCA) to phenolic THC has been reported to range between 2:1 (Africa) and >20:1 (Switzerland) in leaves and flowers of Cannabis sativa.

In plants grown in Middle Europe (United Kingdom) from Moroccan, Sri Lankan and Zambian seed stocks the THCA/THC ratio was 17:1 compared with 2:1 in the plants from the original areas (Africa, Asia).

In hashish (cannabis resin) the THCA/THC ratio was reported to range between 6.1:1 and 0.5:1, the latter in hashish from India. Thus, the percentage of phenolic THC of all THC in cannabis products varied between less than 5% in cannabis leaves grown in Switzerland up to 65% in hashish from India.

Cannabis products with a high content of phenolic THC (e.g. hashish) may be very potent without heating, but usually the potency of cannabis products is considerably increased with heating (smoking, cooking).

Modified according to: Grotenhermen F. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids. Clinical Pharmacokinetics 2001, in press​
It seems that in hot countries natural decarboxylation is faster than in the cold.

daheadies

poppin' outta control

Jump- What happens if the alcohol is put in the freezer?
-Great post! This finally explains why my buddy always said it comes out better in the winter/ when its cold..

Check this out-
I'm tryin to figure out how to mass produce amber, so I tried this-
I kifed DRY leaves, collected kif, mixed w/ a little bit of dry trim to allow for aeration/ make sure my extraction tube did not get clogged (but its mostly kif). Then did the jump method. Off 1 extraction tube (shown) I collected all this shatter, which is prob 2g-2.5g, not sure, dont have scale. The leaves used were a mix of durban, chemdawg4, blue diesel, and underdog diesel..

Heres a pic of the collected kif, and the trim used to mix w/ kif
picture.php

picture.php

Heres a pic of the kif sitting on top of the trim
picture.php

picture.php

Here's pics of the kif and trim mixed
picture.php

picture.php

Here's a pic of my extraction tube loaded w/ the kif/trim mixture before puttin in the freezer
picture.php

Heres the shatter after being extracted.. I figure its not amber in color/ darker prob because I used trim, as opposed to buds..
picture.php

Jump- What happens if the alcohol is put in the freezer?
-Great post! This finally explains why my buddy always said it comes out better in the winter/ when its cold..

Check this out-
I'm tryin to figure out how to mass produce amber, so I tried this-
I kifed DRY leaves, collected kif, mixed w/ a little bit of dry trim to allow for aeration/ make sure my extraction tube did not get clogged (but its mostly kif). Then did the jump method. Off 1 extraction tube (shown) I collected all this shatter, which is prob 2g-2.5g, not sure, dont have scale. The leaves used were a mix of durban, chemdawg4, blue diesel, and underdog diesel..

Heres a pic of the collected kif, and the trim used to mix w/ kif

Heres a pic of the kif sitting on top of the trim

Here's pics of the kif and trim mixed

Here's a pic of my extraction tube loaded w/ the kif/trim mixture before puttin in the freezer

Heres the shatter after being extracted.. I figure its not amber in color/ darker prob because I used trim, as opposed to buds..

Daheadies,
the reason you don't see shatter or AA in most clubs is because you cannot mass produce it. if you really think about it, it could be a good thing. If any pharma company tried to get into this, they will not likely have any more of a head than any semi-chem minded head themselves. You'll likely always be considered an artist when you produce this. I am finding that no matter what, the trick is in different stages of the process, and I cannot make amber every time. I can make it every time, but in very small quantities only. The only way it can be done in production successfully, imo, is if you have a warehouse with open windows all around, and no complaining neighbors who are bothered by the smell of cannabis terpenes 24/7. Otherwise you need a lab, and still, some very qualified chefs cooking it up, with lots of ventilation. Short of that, I don't think anyone can make it in quantity.
Then on top of that, the yield is so small, from trim, the better quality material used, the greater the yield, but also you get into the place where the popcorn is worth more to buyers to smoke than it is to convert to oil with all the solvents, and work involved. Who would do this, for such little return?
Its the same thing with herb grown organically and in dirt. You won't find it in most clubs because you produce an average of 25% less, and so your profit margin is immediately wiped out, if you do it discounted. The only people who can survive, for the most part, is larger growers or people who grow hydro. Likewise, the only oils you'll see in clubs, for the most part, are the ones that yield more and therefore make more $$ for the chefs. They always contain fats, waxes and lipids as well, and therefore will not create shatter material. With such small yields, and the fact that you can only make the best, from the best, keeps this from the marketplace, for the most part, most likely, for good, or until the price of pot drops dramatically.
When its worth more to make it into high grade concentrates, than it is to sell it for smoke, then you see the scales tip in the other direction.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
dude I dunno how my buddy does it but he sells amber grams for between 40-60.. There's got to be a way.... He acknowledges that it yields less than other methods, but he still gets good enough yield to sell g's for that low of a price..

dude I dunno how my buddy does it but he sells amber grams for between 40-60.. There's got to be a way.... He acknowledges that it yields less than other methods, but he still gets good enough yield to sell g's for that low of a price..

That's the difference! If you can get more than $30 gr. it makes it worth it, somewhat. Here in Cali, clubs only want to pay $25 at most, usually, for any concentrate. I have asked a few. I'm sure there are some, but they may be fewer and further between. They try to cap their prices on everything, so they just don't want it in many cases. Most have never seen it before and most do not know what it even is.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Using Jump's method, 30-60 for a g is a major loss.. I feel like you get about 1-2 gram's per ounce of herb used

jump117

Veteran
PET bottle

PET bottle

Interesting shards - amber drop, solidified during the formation and very thin amber membrane.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Extracted from undeveloped mini buds with butane 30 min in PET bottle + EtOH 96%.

gunnaknow

Using Jump's method, 30-60 for a g is a major loss.. I feel like you get about 1-2 gram's per ounce of herb used

It's not really a loss because the idea is to take the premium grade first and then do a second or even third wash for the remaining cannabinoids.

Even though extracts can be more than 5 x stronger than premium bud, gram for gram, they don't usually fetch 5 x the price. You might be able to fetch the true value of an extract by adding it to edibles like candies, as it then becomes a value added product. You might need a special permit to make edibles, I don't know. You'd also have to use a suitable, edible solvent.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
It's not really a loss because the idea is to take the premium grade first and then do a second or even third wash for the remaining cannabinoids.

Even though extracts can be more than 5 x stronger than premium bud, gram for gram, they don't usually fetch 5 x the price. You might be able to fetch the true value of an extract by adding it to edibles like candies, as it then becomes a value added product. You might need a special permit to make edibles, I don't know. You'd also have to use a suitable, edible solvent.

Obviously I take quality/strength into effect to determine value for PERSONAL use.. If I didn't I wouldn't make it.. I have terrible pain and nausea and I find the amber to help significantly with pain. I was strictly talking about for market value, in which case it would make NO sense to make something 5x strength when you cant get 5x price, seeing as how 5x potency means so much less yield.. If price cant accommodate, it's probably a better decision to do other things with your product if on the sale end...

Latest posts

Latest posts