What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

jump117

Veteran
When you freeze your flowers, do you trim "wet", or allow the plant to dry for a few days first, and then call that "fresh"?
Fastest in the manufacture and fairest results I got from an entirely fresh material,
just cut from plants, green and juicy and not subjected to drying.

Soaking the fresh wet material requires a much larger quantity of butane,
fresh flowers are five times more volume than dry,
they must be completely covered with butane, with some surplus for a free stirring,
minimal volume of butane is the same, which takes the processed material, not less,
At the amateur low scales level the amount of butane and ethanol is not worried my pocket too much.
For professional care-givers with large scales this circumstance is probably the stopping factor.

Also the condition of freshness is inaccessible for buyers of the staff grown on the side.
Thus, AA can claim only a very narrow segment of the general practice of the methods of extraction.

I used a double extraction technique also to the dried material.
There is no bubbles in extract and no auto-buddering after that.
Doesnt pressure build up like crazy? Then how do you keep the pressure in, which might keep the butane from evaping so quickly?

I freeze the material in the extractor to prevent a sharp pressure spike at the beginning of butane contact with the material.
There is atmospheric pressure in open extractor such as thermos, tea-pot, coffee-press or other.
Frozen material shall not be in contact with warm air, it causes condensation of moisture from the air on cold surfaces
and the frost can cover and block the trichomes from extraction.
I did put the bowl that the weed and butane in the freezer while it was soaking
I hope I do not understand correctly. Not so long ago it was another message about butane in the freezer. Of course, it is very dangerous.

http://www.katu.com/news/106087888.html
A small spark from a freezer ignited butane gas that had built up inside a home as a result of someone extracting THC from marijuana Monday afternoon.
The explosion blew the door off the fridge and through a wall in the home, investigators said.

101028coos_explosion405.jpg

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Whoa ya you heard me right I didnt know that was possible... How the hell did a spark start in the freezer? either way Im glad i heard it from you before any future problems thanks for the heads up.. Normally I do my extraction outdoors, but when I was soaking it I figured put it in the freezer.. now that I think of it, it was the fridge, but either way..

I store my butane bottles in the freezer so they are freezing and ready to go when I do my extractions... is this a bomb waiting to happen, or is it cool cause its in a metal bottle/ not exposed to mere sparks?... and seriously.. sparks in the freezer? how/why/ is this something thats common?

Whoa ya you heard me right I didnt know that was possible... How the hell did a spark start in the freezer? either way Im glad i heard it from you before any future problems thanks for the heads up.. Normally I do my extraction outdoors, but when I was soaking it I figured put it in the freezer.. now that I think of it, it was the fridge, but either way..

I store my butane bottles in the freezer so they are freezing and ready to go when I do my extractions... is this a bomb waiting to happen, or is it cool cause its in a metal bottle/ not exposed to mere sparks?... and seriously.. sparks in the freezer? how/why/ is this something thats common?

I think they were storing some not completely purged extraction in the freezer, then maybe the spark could ignite it. I doubt it could inside those bottles because that's why they store them in there.

Fastest in the manufacture and fairest results I got from an entirely fresh material,
just cut from plants, green and juicy and not subjected to drying.

Soaking the fresh wet material requires a much larger quantity of butane,
fresh flowers are five times more volume than dry,
they must be completely covered with butane, with some surplus for a free stirring,
minimal volume of butane is the same, which takes the processed material, not less,
At the amateur low scales level the amount of butane and ethanol is not worried my pocket too much.
For professional care-givers with large scales this circumstance is probably the stopping factor.

Also the condition of freshness is inaccessible for buyers of the staff grown on the side.
Thus, AA can claim only a very narrow segment of the general practice of the methods of extraction.

I used a double extraction technique also to the dried material.
There is no bubbles in extract and no auto-buddering after that.

I freeze the material in the extractor to prevent a sharp pressure spike at the beginning of butane contact with the material.
There is atmospheric pressure in open extractor such as thermos, tea-pot, coffee-press or other.
Frozen material shall not be in contact with warm air, it causes condensation of moisture from the air on cold surfaces
and the frost can cover and block the trichomes from extraction.

I hope I do not understand correctly. Not so long ago it was another message about butane in the freezer. Of course, it is very dangerous.

So, if I am to understand you correctly, you are saying, you do not pre-freeze your material. Only prior to extraction. So, therefore, you only extract fresh, without waiting at all, but freeze just prior to extraction?

I am wondering, if you take high quality grade A popcorn buds, how long they can sit, and dry, before too much Decarboxylation can occur, so that AA cannot happen?

If I understand you correctly, AA cannot be achieved, if too much quantity is being dealt with, because it must be attended to right away?

I stuck all my immediate trimmings in the freezer, as well as my popcorn buds, so I can extract when I have time. There were 10 plants, so trimming must be done all together, which presents a dilemma. Now i'm ready to extract, (and I have my 151 Ca. grain) but concerned with "water crystals on trichomes". If I take it our of the freezer, into fresh warm air, and it takes a few moments to place in the extractor, I'm running the chance of obstructing the process?

Am I correct in these assertions?

Thanks Jump, we all appreciate your help, tremendously. Many of us provide real meds to real patients in need, and convenience of the ability to handle such as in AA, is a serious issue for many folks. You are truly helping people. :thank you:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, if I am to understand you correctly, you are saying, you do not pre-freeze your material. Only prior to extraction. So, therefore, you only extract fresh, without waiting at all, but freeze just prior to extraction?

I am wondering, if you take high quality grade A popcorn buds, how long they can sit, and dry, before too much Decarboxylation can occur, so that AA cannot happen?

If I understand you correctly, AA cannot be achieved, if too much quantity is being dealt with, because it must be attended to right away?

I stuck all my immediate trimmings in the freezer, as well as my popcorn buds, so I can extract when I have time. There were 10 plants, so trimming must be done all together, which presents a dilemma. Now i'm ready to extract, (and I have my 151 Ca. grain) but concerned with "water crystals on trichomes". If I take it our of the freezer, into fresh warm air, and it takes a few moments to place in the extractor, I'm running the chance of obstructing the process?

Thanks Jump, we all appreciate your help, tremendously. Many of us provide real meds to real patients in need, and convenience of the ability to handle such as in AA, is a serious issue for many folks. You are truly helping people. :thank you:

I will let our brother Jump answer your questions, but I've tried our clever brother's fresh material extraction and I predict that you will be pleased with the results. I most certainly was and consider a fresh frozen BHO extraction the tastiest yet !

May I add that I freeze the material in a zip lock bag to 0F (-32C), and after it is frozen, remove it and pummel the bag with my fist. This breaks up the material while minimizing handling, melting, and exposure to atmosphere.

I then quickly stuff it in the extraction column directly from the bag, before sticking it back in the freezer to refreeze before proceeding.

Alas, it is warmer on average in the Pacific NW, vis a vis Moscow, so here are some thoughts on easy safe ways to extend the process should you live in warmer climes.

A salt water ice bath can be dropped below the boiling point of butane at 30F outside somewhere, negating the need for a freezer. Remember making ice cream and please don't simply stick it in your freezer, because of explosive outgassingg???????????

Dry ice can also be dropped in an antifreeze bath to lower the temperature below the levels achievable with a saline solution and ice.

I have built fully contained systems using Schedule 40 copper pipe that easily hold the pressure generated by evaporating butane and operates at ambient temperatures.

The pressure keeps the butane liquid, but alas the water is not tied up as ice, and there is more color and non-active ingredients in the extraction. Enough to turn the extraction from a bright yellow with fresh material to a light electric almost florescent green color.

Butane is relatively non polar, but is not zero and will pick up some water solubles if given their best chance.

Bon appetite! Fresh frozen BHO extraction has hand down received more raves from panel tester for "fresh" flavor, than anything else that we have produced, including acetate, which is floral and tasty.

Acetate receives high marks from panel testers for it's floral flavor and efficacy, but is not even close to being tastier than fresh BHO in my own opinion, just a different tasty experience.

Soooooooooo, I highly recommend Jumps process for best flavor, suggest that everyone try it, and await ya'll's thoughts!

Hee, hee, hee......................

daheadies

poppin' outta control
woooo hooo thanks guys I love this thread and the people that are contributing to sharing how to make the BEST BHO EVER! thanks guys!

jump117

Veteran
:thank you: I am very grateful to you for those words it's so nice to be useful for people.
To avoid exposure to the frozen material with a warm moist air
I load the material in a thermos immediately after trimming and freeze them together.
Material is stored in an extractor in the freezer until the time of extraction.
At environment store it’s a long process, they posted reports of getting fragile amber from buds cured for one year.
I am inexperienced in dealing with dry material after a long curing.
I am also inexperienced in dealing with large amount,
I just noticed that the rinse of fresh material is required several times more butane than for dry in tubular extractor.

I'm afraid that – yes. Try to load it in the frozen extractor in the freezing zone, wearing gloves and exhaling aside :).
I freeze the material in a zip lock bag to 0F (-32C), and after it is frozen, remove it and pummel the bag with my fist. This breaks up the material while minimizing handling, melting, and exposure to atmosphere.
I then quickly stuff it in the extraction column directly from the bag, before sticking it back in the freezer to refreeze before proceeding.
Hi Gray Wolf, that's where the handy skill in martial arts!

I see the meaning of the pre-freezing of material in the stabilization of the start moment filling of the extractor
when in contact with warm material liquid gas evaporates rapidly, which causes a pressure jump in the extractor.
I suspect deep frozen may slows down the rate of extraction.
Since the solvent power increases with temperature,
the optimum temperature of filling and extraction should be just under the boiling point, imo.

If zip-lock is heavy-duty and its material allows direct contact with butane,
probably it can be used as a butane extractor.
The only thing that will have to do is adapter for filling zip-lock bag from a can.
I'm not sure whether it be a refrigerator of any kind or simply a good thermo insulation,
but it should be possible to frequent or constant stirring during extraction.
Using my thermos with a narrow neck is sorely lacking a mechanical crusher-mixer,
which is implemented by zip-lock bag.
------------------------------------

Optimizing the quality of the extract, we need to prevent access of solvent to fat contents of plant cells
which contaminate the extract.
Frozen juice protects the quality for hours of extraction.
I undertook a two hours (1+1) extraction of buds material.
Extracts of first and second hours are fused into a common chip.
Here in the photo extract of second hour is the lower right quarter of the chip.
It is smaller and darker than of the first, but the green tones are not visible.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
ugh its frustrating not being able to give positive feedback over and over so im going to have to be repetitive and once again say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! every extra piece of info to getting this to work is sooo much appreciated. Its been a year since I started trying to make amber now.. With all this new input Im going to try in next few days and see what happens.. THANKS

jump117

Veteran
:wave: Congratulations on your initiative and happy gaining remarkable cobra!

Practice this process is not as complicated as it may seem in the description :).

picture.php
picture.php
:tiphat:

daheadies

poppin' outta control
:thank you: I am very grateful to you for those words it's so nice to be useful for people.
To avoid exposure to the frozen material with a warm moist air
I load the material in a thermos immediately after trimming and freeze them together.
Material is stored in an extractor in the freezer until the time of extraction.
At environment store it’s a long process, they posted reports of getting fragile amber from buds cured for one year.
I am inexperienced in dealing with dry material after a long curing.
I am also inexperienced in dealing with large amount,
I just noticed that the rinse of fresh material is required several times more butane than for dry in tubular extractor.
I'm afraid that – yes. Try to load it in the frozen extractor in the freezing zone, wearing gloves and exhaling aside :).

Hi Gray Wolf, that's where the handy skill in martial arts!

I see the meaning of the pre-freezing of material in the stabilization of the start moment filling of the extractor
when in contact with warm material liquid gas evaporates rapidly, which causes a pressure jump in the extractor.
I suspect deep frozen may slows down the rate of extraction.
Since the solvent power increases with temperature,
the optimum temperature of filling and extraction should be just under the boiling point, imo.

If zip-lock is heavy-duty and its material allows direct contact with butane,
probably it can be used as a butane extractor.
The only thing that will have to do is adapter for filling zip-lock bag from a can.
I'm not sure whether it be a refrigerator of any kind or simply a good thermo insulation,
but it should be possible to frequent or constant stirring during extraction.
Using my thermos with a narrow neck is sorely lacking a mechanical crusher-mixer,
which is implemented by zip-lock bag.
------------------------------------

Optimizing the quality of the extract, we need to prevent access of solvent to fat contents of plant cells
which contaminate the extract.
Frozen juice protects the quality for hours of extraction.
I undertook a two hours (1+1) extraction of buds material.
Extracts of first and second hours are fused into a common chip.
Here in the photo extract of second hour is the lower right quarter of the chip.

It is smaller and darker than of the first, but the green tones are not visible.

What are you saying here?? what are you doing with frozen juice? What is the difference between a 1 and 2 hour extraction? (you mean how long you let the buds sit in the butane?) Also, I forget; is it sativas or indicas that work better to make amber? or does it matter?

daheadies

poppin' outta control
I did it!!! Thank you JUMP your a saint! you should win an award as far as I'm concerned for bringing this method to the public! thank you thank you thank you!
This really is the most potent / put you on your ass high that I have ever experienced.

I did it Jump's method step by step w/ etoh. I was going to stop before adding etoh but I figured I would go through w/ Jump's method step by step, and I achieved stellar results! I used a extraction tube rather than a soaking chamber, and I only used about one and a half cans of butane.
Only complaint is that there is some residual etoh taste... I am going to try everclear next time, because when I have done different alcohol extraction experiments I have found everclear to work as well or better than the etoh I have, and it has less of an after taste..

Heres the brittle pieces I scraped off the razor blade.. This stuff really does dry EXTREMELY fast
picture.php

picture.php

Heres some shots of it after I melted the shards together.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

JUMP- In your post about the "chip" you say it was using 3 month cured stuff... Does that mean fresh and frozen, and put in the freezer for 3 months?

jump117

Veteran
What are you saying here?? what are you doing with frozen juice? What is the difference between a 1 and 2 hour extraction? (you mean how long you let the buds sit in the butane?) Also, I forget; is it sativas or indicas that work better to make amber? or does it matter?
I'm saying here about the juice of a live plant or juice of fresh wet just recently cut flowers and not subjected to drying.

I'm not doing anything with this juice but it makes a lot of useful to protect the extract from pollution by lipophilic substances contained in plant cells.
The water in plant cells does not allow the solvent to the inner parts, where it can dissolve something we do not need to extract.
The less damaged plant tissue and juicier they are, the purer the extract obtained.
For this reason, extracts from grinded buds are always dirtier extracts of whole buds.

Extractable material was in butane for an hour, then butane was drained and its place was filled with fresh butane,
in which the material is rinsed for another hour. The total duration of extraction was two hours.

The difference between the extractions of first hour and of second hour is illustrated and commented on the post #128, which you had quoted in the question.
Extract of the second hour is darker and smaller than the extract of the first hour.
In ingot chip where they both joined together, in a photo an extract of the second hour is located in the lower right quadrant.
These experiments was carried out with varieties and hybrids with a predominant content of indica – White Russian, Mazar-i-Sharif, Opium, Maple Leaf, K2, White Widow, +, the closest to sativa was Super Haze grown as bonsai.

jump117

Veteran
My previous post was late, I typed it before I saw your report about a remarkable result, which I congratulate you.
At the same time, I want to sincerely thank you for giving pleasure to feel that my efforts have benefited and enjoy not only myself but also others.
JUMP- In your post about the "chip" you say it was using 3 month cured stuff... Does that mean fresh and frozen, and put in the freezer for 3 months?
No, this is an exception, it was a gift from my grow friends. The chip was made of flowers dried before they were frozen.
I applied to them the same technology as a double extraction of butane and ethanol, and it worked.

Congratulations again! And many happy returns of the beautiful Amber!

Congratulations, Daheadies,
I agree, JUMP has to be awarded somehow. Even if just an internet award for "Hash Teacher of the Year" or something. Jump is a real hero to me and many others. What he is teaching is awesome!

I only wish that we could get this from inferior product somehow.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Congratulations, Daheadies,
I agree, JUMP has to be awarded somehow. Even if just an internet award for "Hash Teacher of the Year" or something. Jump is a real hero to me and many others. What he is teaching is awesome!

I only wish that we could get this from inferior product somehow.

My friend made 4 lbs of it, apparently, he's sitting on, and I have no idea how he made that much, because he doesn't even grow, himself. So, i'm wondering if he's getting the same product from a different method, or if he has found a way to extract this, from inferior product.

I've done like 15 extractions now and they all came out slightly different. All of his, was identical, from what I can tell. I think there are more secrets to this, maybe Jump has not discovered yet. Maybe we can help him discover something cool, too?

Keep experimenting, ......that's what i'm doing. Just got a Tamisium yesterday. I own a commercial vacuum packager as well. So, I can do some interesting things, now. I can't wait to experiment. I'm checking into finer filters, too. Lab Grade.

Thanks! I have now successfully gotten amber twice. The second time I used everclear instead of straight up etoh.. This time, within one batch of amber, there were 3 different grades of amber, ranging from orange translucent to yellow opaque (color of "budder", but much harder) .. Not sure if its cause of the everclear or just coincidence/ unknown variable.

Anyways, now that I have gotten it im going to keep experimenting.
My friend that knows how to make it makes it out dry mixed strain trim.. So it should be possible using (inferior product), or at least not w/ the good stuff.. And he does a great job each time. Im 99% positive he does not use any sort of alcohol to refine it. It turns out darker than Jumps version of AA, but it burns grey on a coal and is very smooth, and very very potent.

Has anyone successfully gotten amber w/o using alcohol? If so do you follow jumps instructions up until the alcohol step?

Latest posts

Latest posts