What's new

About to stop growing and open a hydro shop, can't see why not ?

About to stop growing and open a hydro shop, can't see why not ?

• Total voters

herewego

Hey - I will try and put this out there real quick.

I have a great store front location lined up 16k cars a day, 1300sqft 20x65 with full basement for storage, $1250 a month. I have the correct backround for running the place, and the cash to open and stock and make money. leave it at that. I mostly want to dropship hydrofarm products and have the store front at the same time since no other place within 45 min of here and the clientel is around. You must have a store to drop ship from them, might as well be an ideal location with great daily traffic.

Seems like i should be able to make 1200 a week or better out of the shop, into my pocket based on my numbers (which i do not want to debate) The questions is, would you give up growing at a location you live in in order to progress to a legitimate just as profitable, increasing demand business ?

Ive pretty much decided on yes, so please no useless negatives, ive got all the bases covered business wise, this is more of a moral, life changing moment dilemma.

Just looking to see if anyone has done something along these lines, and their feelings on it after wards. Such as someone who grew before on their own, and now grows medically ? And their feelings on this issue. Just want to get some more confidence it this here before moving forward next week or two, thanks

Actually just added a poll, vote on it, same money - grow at your house or open hydro shop and see where it leads you.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
You have made it pretty clear you have your mind made up, and it is not open for discussion-- lol
Not sure why you made the Thread...but I did want to say that your Poll is possibly the most biased Poll I have ever seen!! And it gave me a good laugh-- :biglaugh: Thank you!!

mdk ktm

lol at the poll options. I say go for the hydro shop, even though you already have your mind made up. And you would only carry hydrofarm? Care to explain why? What about sunlight supply? And you can always have a hydroshop, and a grow house in another persons name....

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good plan, I don't think we can grow for ever. I would keep the grow and invest its profits into something more legal and profitable for the future.

Why not move to a med state? You can grow and sell equipment, plenty of fresh states with new booming economys from the market.

yeah, whats the deal with only carrying Hydrofarm? don't get me wrong, i like Hydrofarm products, but there are other great brand names as well.....Just wondering whats up....

...and for the record...lol...I would open the hydro store, and still grow...why not?

Whats the difference in working a 9-5 and growing and owning a hydro shop and growing?

Either way, sounds like your mind is made up and you want some type of reassurance....sooo..do it!

Actually, Ive been thinking about opening up one where I live, as the closest store is about 2 hours one way.....and besides that, It would be a job that I actually would enjoy doing....

good luck man....and dont stop growing the herbs bro.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
sounds like you'd have to change your life style.
get up a certain time
be somewhere even if you don't want to be
Knowing about running a business was something that I got away from.
Not sure I'd want to get back into a 9-5 personally

just giving something to chew on.

yeah, whats the deal with only carrying Hydrofarm? don't get me wrong, i like Hydrofarm products, but there are other great brand names as well.....Just wondering whats up....

...and for the record...lol...I would open the hydro store, and still grow...why not?

Whats the difference in working a 9-5 and growing and owning a hydro shop and growing?

Either way, sounds like your mind is made up and you want some type of reassurance....sooo..do it!

Actually, Ive been thinking about opening up one where I live, as the closest store is about 2 hours one way.....and besides that, It would be a job that I actually would enjoy doing....

I could see his point. Depending on how hostile a state he is in, police could make the connection. I've heard police have been known to stake out hydro shops anyway, whos to say they would not run the plates of the employees too? All i'm saying is that it leaves you vunerable in one way, and typically I wouldn't think anyone would like to be up and running with vulnerabilities... might make someone with a lot to lose paranoid...

Marshall

ngw/sunlight supply wont sell to everyone. If they have a dealer nearby, they wont sell to you. Hydrofarm doesnt care and will sell to just about anyone.

Having owned a business for 15 years, I find it hilarious that you estimate you will make $1200 a week. That is just not how business owners think

People are not going to visit your shop just to have items drop shipped.

But to answer the question, YES I would open a hydro store if I could. But IMO it takes 100-200K to open a store and I just dont have that...... yet....

growshopfrank

Veteran
Some advise it probably isnt a good idea to have a store and engage in any sort of illegal activity as if you are not on the local LEO's radar opening a hydro store IN MOST areas will certainly get you some scrutiny be ready for general harassment, audits BS from your insurer and just living under a microscope. That being said Ive been doing it scene 94 and Ive made a good living doing it and met many righteous folk and not had many days that I didnt want to go to work

grapeman

Veteran
Do what the mafia did. Open a store and fund it with your illegal activities. Once you are in the black, you can launder your money.

Perfect.

herewego

Wow you guys are great thats why i love this board lol. Made the post went to the moveis, saw 'the next 3 days' pretty good movie, they make russel crowe a slick mother fucker in that.

Ok...gonna try and knock these all out here next.

Yes the license plates were a concern even if using a corp name, and if i have to drive there i dont want to have a 'special car' just to go to work. I dont mind the time, i used to work 80 hour weeks. I think i need the push to open the store so i can move into aquaponics on large scale warehouses locally, and wouldnt mind training in the basement.

herewego

You have made it pretty clear you have your mind made up, and it is not open for discussion-- lol
Not sure why you made the Thread...but I did want to say that your Poll is possibly the most biased Poll I have ever seen!! And it gave me a good laugh-- :biglaugh: Thank you!!

Haha i do what i can, thats how i feel, i just need that community push so i go in what i think is the right direction, reassurance is correct.

Grapeman - wouldnt know what you are talking about :tiphat:
Growshop frank - Like the username. I should me ok with local LEO, planning on mostly online sales and in store i am going to focus on actual fruits and vegtables, not the normal poster in the window kind of grow shop. Big market around me for it already, people just have to drive 45-1hr now. It seems to keep my interest for now, so going in won't be too bad...about a 5 minute drive and i know no one will be there before 9 or 10 lol

Marijuansaur - exactly

herewego

lol at the poll options. I say go for the hydro shop, even though you already have your mind made up. And you would only carry hydrofarm? Care to explain why? What about sunlight supply? And you can always have a hydroshop, and a grow house in another persons name....

I wouldnt only carry hydrofarm, i would carry it all, they just happened to be the first people i talked to after i paid $125 for a co2 regulator i used to put on kegs at my bar and cost about $10-20 then. They add a $10 actuator and peg on a hundred in profit. I use that name since its most recognizeable in my eyes. I think i'll back off all together and worry about restarting mine at a later time.

The guys who made the most money in the gold rush were the guys selling the tools...

herewego

Thanks for the support. I'd carry all brands, sorry for the mislead there. They were just first i spoke to and once i saw the numbers, it had to be done. I want to do mostly drop shipping ONLINE in addition to the in store volume.

Imagine your local grow shop had home made cloners, airtight mason jars, used ballasts and misc, took trade ins lol the list goes on...

Pure knowledge - You've got the idea right, i make an ok amount of money on a few larger legit things so this is what i do to stay busy. I think id actually like educating people on growing all types of things. Besides, when i dont know i can come on here and ask !

Oh and whats the point of making a poll if its not biased ? the news does lol I just need a little more confidence before i go cut the guy a check this week. I know its the right thing to do, but sometimes you just need to hear someone else say it. Although i did get 6 votes so far to roll fat all day and tend to my ladies lol Ahhh its time, i am starting to believe the decision is being made live on icmag.com in front of your very eyes.

I would never shop there if you didn't have what I wanted in stock. If I wanted something drop shipped why would I bother to go to the store? My computer can arrange a drop ship pretty well, thank you!

herewego

Having owned a business for 15 years, I find it hilarious that you estimate you will make $1200 a week. That is just not how business owners think

People are not going to visit your shop just to have items drop shipped.

But to answer the question, YES I would open a hydro store if I could. But IMO it takes 100-200K to open a store and I just dont have that...... yet....

So 'business owners' dont plan out how much money they are going to make ? lol thats crazy. You have to know if its worth your time, or at least i do. My time is valuable and i currently own and run a handful of successful businesses.

I dont expect people to come in to get stuff drop shipped. They will come in for dirt, pots, Co2, pails testers lights and more. I want the ability to drop ship so i can sell on ebay, amazon and get a site up. I cant just do that, its not allowed, i need a store.

But yes, thanks for the answer that you would if you could, it is appreciated. I don't know in what retail store you would even fit 100-200k of hydro equip. Anything i dont have in stock i'll tell them to come back in 2 days, fuck em. Keep a couple of each light, and everything else i need, and create my own new products to sell there and introduce into the market.

Plus like i said, i want to focus more on aquaponics and i feel i could integrate that into this type of store in the near future...Lot of money in that. Aside from the fact that -

"What if you could feed the world from space in abandoned factories, powered by solar on the roof of the building, plants fed by fish, and fish fed by the plants i grow"

Just putting that quote out there now so when im on the news in a few years you know whats up people lol

Interesting turn of events, stay home and do whatever has taken the lead ?! :wave:

herewego

not drop shipping from in the store

not drop shipping from in the store

I would never shop there if you didn't have what I wanted in stock. If I wanted something drop shipped why would I bother to go to the store? My computer can arrange a drop ship pretty well, thank you!

lol im not drop shipping to walk in customers thats retarded, sorry for bad explanation there. Read last posts i just put up, i want the ABILITY to drop ship for online sales AS WELL as having stock for my walk in customers.

Things like Co2 tanks, Grow Trays and coco aren't usually getting sent in the mail. I'll have that stuff on site with some ballasts and misc equipment. As well as every single minor thing we all want and need once im up and running.

mdk ktm

I think the whole used equipment thing is a good idea, I tried talking my hydro store into it, but they obviously wouldn't make as much profit those rip off fucks! I would buy some nice used reflectors without a doubt. Ballasts, Maybe? Reservoirs, trays, and hydro systems would all be good used items to buy. In cali im sure you can get all that off of craigslist, but in a non med state I would never buy grow supplies off craigslist.

gonzo`

Honestly, if you've done your research and you think you can pull it off, I would take the risk. In the long run you may be better off running a legit business like this. If I could, I totally would! I think its a great idea :)

talktosamson

Veteran
Exaclty...a shop opened in my town and I just finally stopped going in there because they never have what I need when I need it. Always said they could order whatevr I wanted and have it there in a day but when you need something you need it. I seriously went in there with $500 one day wanting to upgrade my fan and filter systems and they only had one 10" fan and no filters in stock, so I walked and went to Portland...got 2 6" inch combos and filters. That is a huge sale missed for a new small business.