What's new

Abby's Bud Shack

Abby Normal

@noyd666 - Everytime I hear that song I think of that great scene from Beetlejuice and the shrimp "hand" cocktails. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLOUqizemI0

Almost forgot to post a status pic, we are now on Flower Day 3 and the stretch is on!

Flower Mode Day 3
picture.php

Remember, we do have one more sativa on the back right of the HPS side so the right will always look fuller, The height is pretty similar on both sides, but the MH/HPS growth is "larger". Plants are lush and doing well on both sides. Let the colas begin!

One last pic for tonight, I call it "Creation"

Creation
picture.php

Last edited:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thanks Abby!

Comparing to the ballast’s fan is a great comparison point. The older panels I have can definitely be heard over the fan on my ballast...

It does look as though the HPS is gonna whup the LED. But as you say, it’s early. Should be interesting.

Thanks again.

Abby Normal

Flower Day 13 Update

Flower Day 13 Update

picture.php

The Bud Shack babes are now on day 13 of flower mode and have (thankfully) slowed the stretch and started forming buds. The Sweet Cindy's sativa side is certainly showing as they came close to out growing the lights on both the LED and HPS sides. The Lifesavers are typical indica doms and look exactly like they did 10 years ago at this point. I was going through pictures of that earlier grow and thought I would post what we have to look forward to:

BOG Lifesaver circa 2006
picture.php

It's been awhile since the Bud Shack has had any buds, and even though they are just starting I couldn't resist taking a picture to share the beauty of the plant we love, Miss Mary Jane.

picture.php

Abby Normal

Day 17 of Flower
picture.php

We are now about 2.5 weeks into flower mode and the girls are really rocking out the buds. They are just now starting to smell like candy, and I am now adding a little Beastie Bloomz to their feeding. All the plants are doing great, although I did lose one of the HPS Lifesavers awhile back as it was a male... I honestly do not know how I missed him, but I did. So we are at 3 plants per scrog side, the HPS has a BOG Sweet Cindy, BOG Lifesaver and the "unknown" monster sativa. The LED side has 2 Lifesavers and a Sweet Cindy.

While I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, the LED side was the first to produce buds and actually appears to have not only more buds, but also more developed buds than the HPS side. Here's the side by side comparison:

HPS @ Day 17 Flower
picture.php

LED@ Day 17 Flower
picture.php

I have to say that I am quite surprised at how well the LED light is performing. Matter of fact I am so happy with it I picked up a few more!

@ nickman - Thanks, the gals are definitely going full bore now!

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Damn, I wouldn't have believed it either but there it is! Lol. Now I can't wait to see the yeild difference in the end.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
The LED is workin' it!

I grabbed the 450w version to oversee a couple males in a small tent.

They seem happy...

Looking forward to the next update :)

Abby Normal

Day 21 Flower

Day 21 Flower

picture.php

Things are certainly moving along now as the BOG babes are putting out the buds. The image above is of the flower room @ 21 days, with the HPS side on the right and the LED left. Compared to the previous Day 17 pics, I see a lot of growth in just 4 days, with LED side appearing to have an edge.

LED @ 21 Days Flower
picture.php

Comparing the two Sweet Cindy's, there is a marked difference in the bud formation, with the LED Cindy clearly showing more development and size than the HPS. In the picture above you can see an HPS Cindy branch in the foreground, compare it to the buds in the background. There is no mistaking the Sweet Cindy as it stretched like crazy.

The Lifesavers are much closer together, but I would give the edge so far to the LED side. One thing I did learn from this first scrog attempt is to not mix and match, next time I'll only do the same type in a single screen.

@ Vanilla Phoenix - If things continue as they are, (as crazy as it might seem) the LED looks like it may have an edge. We shall see...

@ noyd666 - Thanks mate, that watering setup worked better than I ever imagined. So easy!

@ Shmavis - Glad your plants like their new light, my veg plants just love them. I now have 4 of the 1200W model and depending on the final results of this little side by side, I'll probably be making the switch to all LED. When I look at the stalks in the middle, between the two lights, they are all leaning towards the LED side... things that make you go Hmmmmm!

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
That's a noticeable difference....wow.. curious to see how they compair when they finish up

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Abby!!! I literally ran across some old pictures you mailed me almost a decade ago now. I am sending them off to the frame shop. They will look great in the office!

Hope all is well in your world! Take care, talk soon.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
That those in between are leaning towards the LED is very interesting.

Things that make you go, hmmm — Indeed!

Are you vegging with veg only, or full spectrum?

Abby Normal

It's been busy around the old Bud Shack lately, which unfortunately leaves me little time to post, so let me get things caught up! First, let me start by saying I am thrilled with the results of using the LED lights, they have worked far better than I originally thought they would. While there is a slight size difference between the LED and HPS sides, it is not enough of a difference to really matter, especially when you take into account the pros and cons of each.

Let's take a look at where we stand at 38 days of flower (today is actually day 40, but images are from day 38). One note, I did have to add a second screen layer as the Sweet Cindy buds were falling over.

LED @ 38 Days
picture.php

HPS # 38 Days
picture.php

Looking at the two images above, the one striking difference is the LED side looks lush and green and ripe, while the HPS side looks a tad "toasty". This is despite the fact the HPS is a cool tube with constant dedicated airflow and a large oscillating fan as well. That's one of the biggest cons of an HID, the damn heat and intensity. Add to that the fact I can run 2 LED lights for less than it would cost me to run 1 HPS, and it suddenly becomes a no brainer. To be honest, I'm not even sure there is a size difference, especially considering the HPS side was the original scrog and had much more time to populate the screen than the LED side.

One other observation I need to note, the LED side has ripened faster throughout the flowering period than the HPS. It was the first side to develop buds, the first side to have aroma, and if you look at the buds, they are much riper than the HPS. Let's look at the LED buds up close:

Sweet Cindy # 38 Days
picture.php

Lifesaver @ 38 Days
picture.php

Both are looking pretty sweet with good mass and excellent trichome production. The last time I ran the Lifesaver and Sweet Cindy I harvested at 55 days, which is just over two weeks away. It will be interesting to see how much mass they put on in these final weeks of flower. At this point, I have seen enough to make the switch and retire the HID lights and go with an all LED setup for both veg and flower. Less cost, less heat, less hassle, what's not to like about the LED's, plus the plants just love them. Speaking of veg, here's a quick pic of the veg room which has been under LED from the start:

VEG Room Soil/Hydro
picture.php

The veg room currently has both soil and hydro gals, the hydro are all clones from the current Lifesaver, Sweet Cindy and "Unknown" in flower, while the big soil gals are Grape Krush Throwback (the big leaf gals in front), BOG's Sour Boggle, and some more BOG Sweet Cindy. Like I said... things have been busy at the 'ol Bud Shack!

A special shout out to vince514, Joint Lock, Shmavis, and my old pal sunnyside for stopping by.

@ vince514 - Me too, but I don't expect it will be much of a difference.

@ Shmavis - I am vegging full spectrum, although I will switch to veg mode for a day or two then back to full. For example, when I setup the DWC buckets I set to veg mode for a few days just to harden up the clones a bit in their new environment.

@ sunnyside - Sunny my old pal, how the hell are ya? Hope all has been well the many years I was away... things are really great now I am retired and able to do my own thing!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Quite remarkable! Awesome stuff, Abby!

I now feel at ease about my use of the light. I'm running veg only right now on some young cuttings. Figured once they started establishing themselves in the SOLO cups, I'd go full on 'em. Get 'em hardened off and whatnot. Thanks!

I'm just waking up to LED...

Definitely envious of your Veg room. Very nice!

:tiphat:

Abby Normal

Harvest Time is Here!

Harvest Time is Here!

picture.php

It's harvest time at the Bud Shack... time for sticky scissors, pungent sweet smells and bud pics! Over the next few days I'll be harvesting the BOG Sweet Cindy, Lifesaver, and an unknown sativa gal that smells like peanut butter. Let the fun begin!

BOG Sweet Cindy at 53 Days
picture.php

Abby Normal

Sweet Cindy
picture.php

The Sweet Cindy is my kinda gal, sweet smelling and pretty, she has few leaves and big buds... not too mention such a "sparkling" personality. All the pics posted so far are of the LED side Sweet Cindy, she turned out pretty damn fine even if I do say so myself. :)

Abby Normal

Sweet Cindy
picture.php

Still working on the LED Cindy, she had some nice colas!

@geneva_sativa - Thanks! Been a long time since I had a chance to shoot some bud babies :)