What's new

Abby's Bud Shack

Abby Normal

Training Day
picture.php

The screen has been put into place, the plants have been transplanted into their flowering pots, and the scrog training has now begun. For this scrog we have 3 BOG Lifesavers and 1 "Unknown" (back left). I am using a 5' x 4.5' x 2' pvc frame with nylon trellis netting for the screen. Nothing is glued or permanently affixed to another and can be easily taken apart if needed, even the netting is stretched by the frame itself with no ties or cable wraps needed. At this point, I anticipate another week or two of screen training before the switch to flower.

Unfortunately, the two little female Sweet Cindy's were not ready for the scrog, and still require several more weeks of vegging to even be close to where the Lifesavers are now. I'll flower them when the scrog plants are ready, along with the other 3 Lifesavers currently in veg. Since I am always keen on experimenting, I decided half the flower room will be scrog and the other half natural. Should be interesting to compare the yield of the Lifesavers as we will have 3 in scrog and 3 normal, each set having its own 1k light.

Speaking of lights, the Bud Shack has a new addition, a Viparspectra 1200 LED light. Technology has changed a bit since I last grew 6 years ago, and LED lights seem to be the rage. While I've only had the light a few days now, I can say that it is amazingly cool, and super bright... and most importantly the plants seem to love it! I currently have the males flowering under it so I can collect pollen and free up room for the nursery plants (Grape Krush Throwback, Sour Boggle, Sweet Cindy) when they are ready to veg under the big light. I'm already thinking of doing a side by side scrog comparison between the LED and 1k HPS for the next go round! Here's the LED in action:

Viparspectra 1200 LED
picture.php

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Everything looks great. I just took a stroll thru your thread here and WHOOA! The pics Abby....the pics....fantastic!

Anyway, I haven't been around here too long but it's great seeing what you're doing! Gonna hang out for a while with ya! :tiphat:

Abby Normal

Welcome Vanilla Phoenix, so glad you had a chance to drop by... and I promise you we will have more pics coming! It's been a long time since I've photographed some buddage, so you'll have to pardon me if I'm a bit rusty. :) Won't be too long and the Bud Shack will be back in full swing, and I must admit I am having a lot of fun watching the garden grow. So grab a cold one and join the party... we are just getting started!

Speaking of getting started, it has now been a week (8 days) since I topped the plants and put them in my homemade bubble cloners. Let's see what we have going on down under...

Clone Roots @ 8 days
picture.php

Not to shabby! I love the new cloners I made, the net pots make it so easy to check progress, and I can leave them in longer with a light feed if need be. You might notice I cut the bottoms off the net pots so the roots won't get tangled and can be pulled out easily. The only thing I will probably change is to cut the neoprene collars in half, as they are thicker than necessary, but all in all I am quite pleased with the results so far.

SourDank

Veteran
Doesn't seem like you've missed a step in 8 years, can't wait to see when you're in the swing again. Everything is looking great

Abby Normal

Thanks SourDank... I can't wait to be back in full swing either. It's all I can do to hold myself back from throwing the room into flowering mode! Just another week and we should be ready to hit 12/12... still trying to fill in the scrog screen.

Had a bit of a setback tonight when I rechecked the BOG gals for sex... turns out I had a couple of Lifesaver boys masquerading as girls. The pre-flowers for some reason were so small and undeveloped on these two that it's difficult to tell, and quite honestly I don't see as well as I used to, even with a 60X jewelers loupe. One of these cross-dressers was under the scrog, so I had to pull it out and replace it. The good news is I now have both of the little Sweet Cindy's under the net, and since they lean very much to the sativa side they should fill out the screen quickly... at least quicker than the Lifesaver which are very much indica in nature.

I wasn't able to get a new pic tonight showing the replacement, but I took this one yesterday which would be one week under the scrog training.

Scrog Week 1 Training Mode
picture.php

In the photo above the plant replaced was in the top left hand side of the scrog. I also had to pull the front far left plant as well leaving 4 plants under the scrog (1 Lifesaver, 2 Sweet Cindy & 1 "Unknown") and 3 Lifesaver gals on the left. Here's a better shot of the "left side" with the male in top left and the Sweet Cindy in the middle going under the screen. You might notice I was doing some LST trying to bush her out a bit.

Lifesaver & Sweet Cindy (Middle)
picture.php

Since this is again my first scrog, I'm working through the challenges as they present themselves. My biggest problem so far has been watering the scrog plants, it's just plain a pain in the ass. I could setup a reservoir and time feedings, but I prefer to treat each plant individually and hand water everything, which is damned hard to do when they are under a screen. Mad scientist that I am, I set my mind in motion (Dune) and came up with a solution that works perfect for me. Take a look at the first picture in this post and you may notice the funnels and tubing hanging in the tent.

While browsing a hydro stores inventory I came across a "Halo Ring" , a round watering device that allows for 360 degree even soaking. As soon as I saw it I knew what I needed to do, I went to Walmart and found a funnel with an end that would fit into the 1/2" tubing, put it on one end of the tube and the watering ring on the other and VOILA... problem solved. It works better than I expected, so good in fact I may just do all my big pot soil gals the same way. Here's a picture of all the parts I used... I did use a hose clamp for the first one on the funnel end, but was really not needed and didn't use any on the others.

Scrog Watering Parts
picture.php

It saves me time and having to bend down to try and get under the screen. I just pour my gallon jug right into the funnel and gravity does the rest. Added plus was the funnels had a pre-drilled hole for hanging, so I used an S hook and just hung them on a line in the tent. Simple... easy... just the way I like it!

Speaking of simple and easy, I used the Sweet Cindy and "Unknown" clones in the bubble cloner to setup my first hydro attempt, some DWC buckets. Adding the nutes to the bubble cloners was a great idea, as I had to wait a few extra days to get a couple more black 5 gallon buckets. Apparently, the clones didn't care as the remaining ones in the bubbler just went root crazy!

Sweet Cindy Clone Crazy Roots
picture.php

So now the clones are tucked away in their DWC and I'm excited to see just how fast they will grow in hydro compared to the soil grows I have always done.

Sweet Cindy Clone in DWC
picture.php

Abby Normal

Hey Phoenix, I really don't have a problem with runoff. The planters I use are good sized, they hold 1.25 cubic feet of medium and have built in saucers on the bottom. I've always used 1 gal milk jugs to water with as they are so easy to use, and I water each plant based on its individual needs not as a group which is why it's all done by "feel" rather than a reservoir. If I did have runoff, I would simply use another saucer on the bottom. The bottom of the grow tent I am using is really easy to clean. I don't like a messy garden :)

Scrog Training Day 8
picture.php

Had a chance to grab a shot of the scrog today which is now day 8 of scrog training. The 2 Sweet Cindy's are in the front with the "Unknown" back left and Lifesaver back right. The Cindy's are just starting to "hit their stride", that red blooded unknown plant is just a sativa beast and is really filling in the screen, and for an indica dom, the Lifesaver is also doing a really good job of filling the screen. It's only been a few days since I've been using the funnels, but I have to say it is truly a time saver... and a back saver too!

The Boys Are Back
picture.php

Hopefully I won't have any more male visitors to the flowering room, as all the boys are now back stage and loving life under the LED. I have to say that the plants really do seem to respond to the LED light, as the boys are always "praying to the light", leaves erect and pointed upwards, lush bright green new growth... they look great. Even the Lifesaver males I just put in are showing a remarkable difference in posture. Whether that translates to increased size is another question. At this point I've almost decided to run a comparison by putting the LED into the flower room. Since the manufacturer compares this light to a 1k HPS, let's put it to the test... Lifesaver to Lifesaver. Half the room will be 1k HPS using a new bulb, the other half the LED. To be fair, I'll need to scrog the other side... I think I just made more work for myself. What the hell... inquiring minds want to know!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Beautiful work, Abby Normal!

I too checked out Wally World thanks to noyd bumping the thread — very impressive!

Welcome back! Looking forward to more of your exceptional photos.

Abby Normal

And So It Begins...

And So It Begins...

Last time I posted I was convincing myself to do a comparison between my new LED light and a 1k HPS. While it took a bit of work, it is now a reality and I have transformed the flower area into a dual scrog with my new Viparspectra 1200 LED over a 4'x4' scrog and the 1k HPS cool tube over the original 5'x4.5 screen. There will be 7 plants in total, 3 on the LED side and 4 under the HPS. With the exception of the 1 "unknown" plant under the HPS, each side consists of 2 BOG Lifesaver and 1 BOG Sweet Cindy. I have added my new funnel watering system to all plants and the only thing left to do is trim the bottoms under the screen and switch to flower mode. Here's a peek at the flower room after all the changes:

Dual Scrog LED vs HPS
picture.php

I'll give the room an additional week to fill in the screen and acclimate to the changes, then flowering begins. My money is on the HPS side kicking the LED's ass, but we shall see! I have been wrong before... just ask either of my ex-wives. :biggrin:

Special shout out to Vanilla Phoenix, noyd666, and Shmavis. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my old Wally World thread. I haven't been able to do much photography except to document the grow, but that will be changing soon. Here's a parting shot of some Sweet Cindy males...

picture.php

Abby Normal

Time to Flower

Time to Flower

picture.php

Tonight the BOG gals begin their flowering cycle, and trust me, they are ready to become some big beastie bud babes. The screen has come together nicely and all the girls are looking primed with new growth everywhere. Both screens are looking fairly even at this point, so let the LED vs HPS showdown begin!

@ noyd666 - yeah mate, the watering system is such a time saver. Funny part is I did buy all the funnels Walmart had. :laughing:

Grape Krush Throwback & Friends
picture.php

Meanwhile, in the new veg area the JD Shorts Grape Krush Throwbacks are doing really well at 3 weeks, That's them in the middle, with a smaller BOG Sour Boggle at bottom right. They are sandwiched between the DWC clones of the Sweet Cindy and unknown sativa currently in flower. There's more Grape Krush, Sour Boggle and Sweet Cindy in the nursery that should be ready for transplant in about a week. Then I'll start the maui waui, jock horror, white widow, and PPP seeds. :woohoo:

nickman

Veteran
I hate crawling around on my knees to water the plants in the back... Maybe I should try something like that

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
...Speaking of lights, the Bud Shack has a new addition, a Viparspectra 1200 LED light. Technology has changed a bit since I last grew 6 years ago, and LED lights seem to be the rage. While I've only had the light a few days now, I can say that it is amazingly cool, and super bright... and most importantly the plants seem to love it! I currently have the males flowering under it so I can collect pollen and free up room for the nursery plants (Grape Krush Throwback, Sour Boggle, Sweet Cindy) when they are ready to veg under the big light. I'm already thinking of doing a side by side scrog comparison between the LED and 1k HPS for the next go round! Here's the LED in action:

Viparspectra 1200 LED
View Image

I'm interested in this light comparison. I've been considering supplementing with LED (and possibly making the move fully, eventually). I have two older panels - circa '08 or '09 - but they're much louder than I care for. I was actually looking at the same brand... would you characterize the light as being loud? Can it be heard above other equipment, fans, etc.?

Thanks Abby.

(things are looking great in there!)

Abby Normal

Hey Mr Tally Man, Tally Me Bananas

Hey Mr Tally Man, Tally Me Bananas

Sweet Cindy Banana Bunch
picture.php

The sativa boys have been sprouting their special bananas, and I have been collecting the golden treasure contained within. As bushy and beautiful males, they deserve an opportunity to continue their lineage, so we'll set aside some pollen and make a few beans with the girls in flower. I thought I would take a nice macro of some cream filled bananas!

Male Pollen Macro
picture.php

@Chunkypigs Tittie City indeed, my funnels are definitely nipplelicous! :biggrin:

@nickman I hate trying to get under the screen, especially with thirsty girls who have to be fed every day (or more). I can't tell you how easy watering has become with this new system. I have each funnel labeled and use a gallon jug to water with. I have found myself watering more often but with less as I tend to spread it around more.

@Shmavis I like my Viparspectra so much I bought another, it's currently vegging the Grape Krush and Sour Boggles. I find the light to be very quiet. Yes it has fans and you can hear them, but nothing loud... my little digital ballast fan makes more noise than this unit does. I seriously doubt it will really compete against the HPS, I already see a size difference between screens, however the fat lady hasn't even walked on stage yet, let alone sung. We'll see how flowering is, but I will say that the veg plants love it!

Speaking of veg plants, I thought I would try a few photos today, here's a little closeup of some Grape Krush I thought you all might enjoy:

Grape Krush Leaf
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts