What's new

A World On A String

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
therein lay the crux for me....training in isolation your yardstick for measuring performance become somewhat skewed since you only have your own level of suffering to gauge your efforts....im still of the opinion that i sort of suck at mountain bike riding because only a few times have i ridden with other people and wasnt really on my game those times but talking to people at the trailhead and running into the strava-geeks and hearing their times on the same trails and realizing im faster than the self proclaimed strava champ at these runs got me thinking and i ended up timing myself on the beginners course and im only like 10 minutes off the winning times but i dont really know the back half of the trail but im pretty sure some repeated runs to get it dialed in and i could actually win which has made me sort of lose interest in actually competing except i finally realized its one thing to just pound it out with brute force but another thing entirely to do it with style and grace...i ditched the full suspension bike as too much of a crutch...its easy when its just point and pedal,too easy really,technique does come into play,but not in nearly the same way as a single speed rigid frame bike....you have to dance with the terrain,not just roll right over it...more about flow and form...finding the perfect line,the most efficient way to use that one single gear...and then the fat bike is just redonkulous,low speed earth crawler extraordinaire...and yet still a ton of fun to ride,goes anywhere i can pedal it....yep,big ride coming up,probably 5-6 hours of saddle time,8 hours in total after breaks to eat and the like...im having 4-5000 calorie days riding a bike that curb weights around 65-70 pounds...big days,tough to stay powered up and not bonk out...ride,eat,ride,eat....all i can do when i get home is smoke bowl after bowl and eat...

Madjag

Veteran
P3,

Watch The Seven Samurai again. You'll come across a part where the young Kikuchiyo asks the older samurai why this particular swordsman that they are watching doesn't compete with other swordsmen. The older samurai says something like, "He only competes against himself".

I have often pondered why men compete so heartily and I agree, it's about Ape Ego to some degree. Another side is the "finding self-worth" aspect. We feel stronger, smarter, more better when we have beaten our enemies, gone past our competition. It's a " How can I know how good I am if I don't test myself against others" sort of thing. Inner self-worth is a different beast though and don't kid yourself, plenty of record holders have very little because it's always about being better than the next guy for them, not about advancing as an individual.

Boxing, martial arts, and full contact hurting fall into this "I'm a man" category while I believe non-contact competitive sports like running, pole vaulting, pole toss, javelin, etc are more about being the best or "I need to beat my current record."

Hang around native cultures that hunt, run, or travel long distances on foot and you'll see what the ancient ones think about the whole competition thing. Tarahumara runners run 100+ miles for the game fun alone.....Hopi long-distance runners would run from village to village, like in the Andes, to bring news and get news....African desert tribes went on long hunts and improved their skills and speed in order to get fed. "Winning" didn't fit in except to survive, eat, and have fun.

I watched two master swordsmen in their late 70's face-off in Japan Town S.F. back in 1972 at an exhibition. The younger guys in their 40s and 50s would slash about after one of them finally let loose. One would take the other eventually after 20 or 30 seconds of feverish swordplay. The old masters just stood still (yes, like in the movies), facing one another in their chosen style's start position.

Minutes went by and finally one master moved his foot just a little. 20 seconds later one of them yelled quickly and their motion was synchronous as they both swept their sword toward the other. They stopped instantly in a frozen position because they both knew who had won in that single stroke move. We onlookers weren't so sure....until one master lowered his sword indicating defeat (death had they been fighting for real). No wasted energy, no moves without perfect intensity, both knowing that either could die in the end.

I was a pole vaulter in high school and high bar gymnast. When I was only 5'5" in my sophomore year, I could high jump 5'1", almost my height. We're talking Western Roll here....Fosberry Flop hadn't showed up yet. I enjoyed seeing how I could improve over time with practice.

I competed in 8th grade for pole vault because I thought, "Why not? I love to vault". A new kid from some other school district showed up and vaulted 10" higher than our school's best vaulter. Losing, our guy said with disgust that he would never pole vault again and walked off the field. He kept his word....

I couldn't help but feel sorry for our champion because for him it was only about winning and being "the best" instead of about vaulting for the joy of it and getting better at it. He felt beaten, but wasn't around a few months later when another new guy kicked down that day's new record like it was child's play. He showed up with a new-fangled fiberglass pole and knew how to use it. We used bamboo or aluminum....

I guess my point is....compete to see where you rank next to experts, however only run for the love of it.

Last edited:

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah, the Phenethlamines... loves me some mescaline! I have many cacti varieties that bring the love. eat 2' of some of these cacti and you'll lose your ego:biggrin:

Good to see you 'round bro!

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Won't get into too much detail as I haven't absorbed everything, but I visited Peru for ayahuasca retreat last year. Five ceremonies over 7 days.

Needless to say, it peeled my lid and changed perspectives on things

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Maynard's Birthday Show

Maynard's Birthday Show

Took in the 2nd night's show at the Greek. Maynard celebrated his 50...the show was fucking amazing. For sure...the best show I've been to in forever.

practically nonstop...just the moving to and fro of the different drum kits...tables/chairs set up on stage with various Maynard friends smoking and drinking wine (getting up to play..sing..or fuck around)

Failure blended with Puscifer...blended with A Perfect Circle...blended with Tool (danny carey was one of the drummers)...blended with Green Jello (remember: both maynard and carey used to be in green jello way back when):::::::::Mashing of performers and lots of theater

each band configuration would play for 3 songs or so..then the line ups would change....fucking siiiiiiickkkkkk...constantly flowing out the bands.

vaporized oil the whole way through...had a nice little hotel room a couple miles from the venue...in the lush of Hollywood...about as perfect a sound..as one..can find in this age. Be hard to beat the line up...hard to beat the venue

Last edited:

Madjag

Veteran
Wish I knew who any of those bands were hahaha....I'm not stuck in the 60's, however I moved to Jazz, then Reggae, then Hip Hop as the years rolled on.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im on a huge Rush bender...you havent lived till you have been on some tasty singletrack with "la villa strangiato" blasting on the stereo...

chappie

Veteran
Glad to hear you are back at it, breaks are good.

Also glad you've discovered the work of the Shulgins! Better late than never...

I had some wild times in Japan in the 90s when 2cb was wholly legal. Always preferred the tryptamines, though.

Run well, dude!

Madjag

Veteran
picture.php

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Where? Where we be? It's early June

Where? Where we be? It's early June

now. What? What has been going on? Happenings:

growing food. Lots of time spent in the earth. various property related projects underway or planned for a day. the money comes in the money goes out..ebb flow...

paced my racer saturday night..he made it to me at mile 51...broke down on mile 64....his race over...could no longer even walk..as he'd..hurt his foot on mile 44...gutted it out..until a 8 mile stretch of canyon downhill ruined the dream. heartbreak...and failure

I have no plans of being a pacer again. Decided to start racing myself..it's kind of a selfish thing...as all the hours and miles..training training...to have a set course with aid stations is appealing.

the suffering that comes with the ultra sports...intoxicating. People fuck themselves up. I happen to be gifted at fucking myself up..testing the theory that: the wall lives only in the mind...you go until you don't...you bend until you break...

fuck it all....fuck the world

^ My rooms grow only the Q. Mox Clone and the Hell Q. Clone. This wall of plants is between 45-50 days flower. It's mostly the Mox...but there is a Hell in that mess (she's the thicker cola(ed) subject)..that I'm racing against a same age Mox...seeing if the Hell Queen is worth her slot

It's...to me anyways...a gnarly ass studio full of cannabis plants. There may not be all the variety....but what there is..is punctation. I see a shit load of effort...years of it...so I'm totally biased..or day depending..I don't even care.

^ Remember...a few yrs ago I think...when I did those projects with DTC99 F4..beans I'd gotten from C? I've been deep into a jar of it for the last bunch of days. Cured at least a couple yrs..probably closer to 3...tastes like spice/fruit/peppermint...high is mild...but if you load up and toke down...through a period of time...it'll stone you out in a mellowship.

* heat of day draws near. training all afternoon....that's my entire plan for summer. train for fall races

Last edited:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Revenge Run

Revenge Run

This is what I'm talking about:

some of the runners have set up a 28 mile revenge run this Sunday. It's for the racers and pacers who were disappointed with their race (SD 100) last weekend. gotta love that shit

the answer to failure in the endurance world: get back out on the trail and run more of your guts out

I love the simplicity of running...as to be a capable runner..it requires little thought..but a whole lot of desire/discipline/effort. Want to learn to endurance run?? run...then run some more..and some more..and some....more

anyways...I'll get my revenge for only having to pace (my injured racer) 13 miles. Kicked off my official summer training yesterday...so yes....a semi organized (one water drop point) revenge run..ideal.....

and to those who can keep me humble..I look to

^ this is a cola to a 51 day (started flush day 47) Queen Mox Clone. This is how she always appears (no matter the temps) when she enters the flush phase. My favorite plant expression of all time...keep her for life. Running man herb...a skunky chemical (and something else..unable to describe) aroma. Very potent...yet clear with up function.

* if you know Flo..you'll be able to see her influences...and if you know Chem DD (chems/sours) you'll see those influences..as well. My original goal was to make a better tailored (for me) Flo. I give myself a high grade here...

^ this cola belongs to a 51 day (started flush day 47) Hell Queen Clone. Similar in some regards..but this expression is a bigger yielder..and with a different kind of funk waft to her. Musty..pissy..flower structure different..less flimsy frame..grows straight up and down branches.

* found the Hell Queen in the last Hell Hound IX1 run. I called her the "freak" expression then. Now..as a clone...she is showing me more of what she is about. Doesn't look that same as the seed run. Interesting...and even better.

** I'm running a few of the Hell Queen Clone...giving her a real good look..before I make any calls on her future with me.

*** Both the Queen Mox and Hell Queen were used as mother plants to make Hell Mox. That's important to know.

^ various Queen Mox clones...these are in their mid 40's. Not the greatest yielder...true....though what she yields...I call diamonds. When I harvest her..snipping off jewels.

* The Queen Mox Clone is the only cannabis I've been addicted to. I jones for this stuff...especially like now...when I haven't had any of her vapor in a month.

....goddamn fell off the ledge again....obsession for the trail..it's all I gear myself for

Last edited:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
i've been riding a single speed mountain bike,very minimalist,only 3 choices,pedal,pedal harder,get off the bike...

I like those kind of options. keep it low tech...keep it basic and real.

I beat myself up some steep hills yesterday...full sun..hot run in the 90's. Ran for a little over 2hrs

do something similar today, tomorrow, and thursday....then take friday/saturday off...rest up...run a difficult 28 Sunday. Well...I might get in some full moon running on Friday (13th)..we'll see what's in the tank

This will be the first time I've gone out with a group. My wife has been setting me up with all kinds of ultra runners (she's friends with many...and you know..she does the FaceBook thing).....I guess she thinks I need to expand my training options...and run with the serious crowd.

anyway...I have a lot of home support for what I do. It takes a lot of time to train for reals...a lot of behind the scenes work done to maintain diet

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my initial interest in mountain biking was to simply expand the range of areas i was able to get to safely and be able to haul gear.and of course the most interesting places in this state arent off paved roads generally.
so step one was to acquire a basic level of fitness,bike repair skill,keeping the bike well tuned,learning how to eat and maintain hydration over a long day,rest and recovery,how to pace myself for a long day....you know,getting body and mind ready to endure...
step two,acquire the tools for off road travel plus the skill set need to safely traverse a variety of terrain...

i got myself a fat bike,4.8 inch wide tires,can be run at super low pressure,ultra low gearing for rock crawling,hill grinding,load hauling all day adventure...great for loading up 30 lbs of gear and 10 lbs of water and going out for full day rides,and also a heck of a fun mountain bike,very forgiving of mistakes in line choice,not fast,but still tons of fun...

the single speed i got to really learn technique,i mean really learn it...its a fully rigid steel frame bike,no fancy suspension or hydraulic disc brakes,no carbon fiber whatsits....one speed,no mercy,no thinking,just pedaling.....its so brutal at times,i mean just awful,feels like the rear wheel weighs a ton,then suddenly its just magic,when you get into that flow,carrying just the right amount of momentum into a climb and dropping the hammer,making that perfect line choice that lets you stay off the brakes and find that hairy bleeding edge where you're in perfect control...fun stuff...

kinda lost interest in racing,have different goals in mind....trying to finish my standard single track loop during a classic Rush album and one particular downhill during "la villa strangiato"....i still need to shave about 3 minutes off my time for either...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
my initial interest in mountain biking was to simply expand the range of areas i was able to get to safely and be able to haul gear.and of course the most interesting places in this state arent off paved roads generally.
so step one was to acquire a basic level of fitness,bike repair skill,keeping the bike well tuned,learning how to eat and maintain hydration over a long day,rest and recovery,how to pace myself for a long day....you know,getting body and mind ready to endure...
step two,acquire the tools for off road travel plus the skill set need to safely traverse a variety of terrain...

i got myself a fat bike,4.8 inch wide tires,can be run at super low pressure,ultra low gearing for rock crawling,hill grinding,load hauling all day adventure...great for loading up 30 lbs of gear and 10 lbs of water and going out for full day rides,and also a heck of a fun mountain bike,very forgiving of mistakes in line choice,not fast,but still tons of fun...

the single speed i got to really learn technique,i mean really learn it...its a fully rigid steel frame bike,no fancy suspension or hydraulic disc brakes,no carbon fiber whatsits....one speed,no mercy,no thinking,just pedaling.....its so brutal at times,i mean just awful,feels like the rear wheel weighs a ton,then suddenly its just magic,when you get into that flow,carrying just the right amount of momentum into a climb and dropping the hammer,making that perfect line choice that lets you stay off the brakes and find that hairy bleeding edge where you're in perfect control...fun stuff...

kinda lost interest in racing,have different goals in mind....trying to finish my standard single track loop during a classic Rush album and one particular downhill during "la villa strangiato"....i still need to shave about 3 minutes off my time for either...

...you know. I know you know...but you know: they never did get la villa in one single take. I think it took 3...

I was up some shit loose steep rocky washy yucca laden...exposed to the glorious full sun...not even the snakes out today...but the deer/horse flies are furious and mighty. Hoofed my ass up and down that canyon. felt good

I'm wearing dirt for sun block on my face. it's a dirtbag look...like war paint and an exfoliator at the same time

* my only goal in any of this shit..is to..learn and maintain true form. I think now..it has to do with levitation...the defiance to worldly gravities. It's a place to be...maybe...I do not say>>>I know

keeps me busy

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hell,la villa is a bitch to listen to so i imagine performing it is something...

yup,hence the rigid frame steel single speed....momentum,balance,efficiency...its mountain bike kung fu...it is a karate monkey after all...la villa and yyz fit well with mountain biking,rush in general,all the tempo changes,the overbearing grandiosity suits the landscape...

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Fuel

Fuel

resting. Taking it easy. Must get up early...drive up and meet these people I'm running with tomorrow. I don't know any of them. Start running at 7...down 14 then up 14

getting my food ready. The stuff I'm carrying in my water belt pack

^ tortillas with peanut butter, brown long grain rice, medjool dates, and walnuts.

Supplement electrolytes with coconut hydro powder in my water bottles..along with maple syrup and lemon juice (the juice is to help alkalize the water..the coconut powder is also an alkaline..but the maple syrup acidic..i just like it..a sweet reward)

Fueling/hydrating the night before (now) is imperative...as is keeping up on the fueling..during the run. It's one of the worst feelings in the world...to run out of...fuel. There is no mercy.

Fueling continued: mind candy

^ I'm such an addict for Q.Mox flowers...that I...cut some off early..day 52...so I'd have some moxie for my pre run session. Even at day 52...she is deep in flavor...and zooms me out. Can't say enough about my love for this weed....this plant

* Tool's Forty-Six and 2 has been my deliverance all spring. I like to crank that shit up..then go get down on the trails. spells me out..

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
been running into the same dawn patrollers at the trails day after day,im starting to realize i dont suck as bad as i thought....well by my standards i still suck but compared to other people it turns out im doing pretty good...heck,im proud to say the bike shop guys were sandbagging me about the single speed gear i was pushing,saying i was getting up into the girl gears running a 33/19 when indeed almost everyone runs a 32/20 for trail riding...at least im not a noodle leg!

Latest posts

Latest posts