What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A tale of 5 ballasts

T

tokinafaty420

How difficult is it to change a capacitor? Is it dangerous?

I have an old 600 that I use off and on that I bought in 2004.

T

tokinafaty420

2 wires, simple as can be..

Thanks, as I am not an electrician I always avoided opening up the ballasts as I read that they can maintain a charge even after unplugging them. I'll pop the cover off later today and take a peak around in side and see what it looks like before I order a new capacitor.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Thanks, as I am not an electrician I always avoided opening up the ballasts as I read that they can maintain a charge even after unplugging them. I'll pop the cover off later today and take a peak around in side and see what it looks like before I order a new capacitor.

seriously, its nothing. anyone can do it. and hydro shops charge $25+ changing them out...

chidoctor

can anyone post a link to a cap for a 1000hps? dont wanna buy the wrong cap if i can avoid it? the ones im looking at say 250 volt is that what i want?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Folks, if you find good deals on capacitors, please post them in this thread. Once we compile more info, I'd like to edit the original post and organize everything for easy access.

Too, what about using higher quality, electronic-grade caps that typically last ~20 years? Perhaps there's someone here with superior knowledge who could steer us in the right direction.

Simon

junior_grower

Capacitors Testing Procedures For HID Lighting Transformers

Troubleshooting: What do I need to know about Capacitor Testing and Ballast Performance?

The proper test procedure is as follows:

* Disconnect the capacitor from the circuit and discharge it by shorting the terminals or wires together.
* Check the capacitor with an ohmmeter set to the highest resistance scale
* If the meter indicates a very low resistance then gradually increases, the capacitor does not require replacement.
* If the meter indicates a very high initial resistance that does not change, it is open and should be replaced.
* If the meter indicates a very low resistance that does not increase, the capacitor is shorted and should be
replaced.
* The ohmmeter method of testing capacitors will only determine open or shorted capacitors. The capacitance
value can be tested by many available portable TRUE RMS meters having that capability, though a test using
a dedicated capacitance meter is more conclusive. The capacitance value will affect lamp performance of
Constant Wattage ballasts in ways that cannot be determined by the ohmmeter method. A capacitor may look
good visually, but should be tested for capacitance value or replaced.
* The capacitor in a reactor or high reactance ballast circuits will only affect the ballast power factor and not
ballast operation. Capacitor failure in these circuits will cause line supply current changes possibly causing
circuit breakers to activate or fixture fuse failures.

What are Oil-Filled Capacitors?

Oil-Filled capacitors supplied today contain non-PCB oil and are a UL recognized component. Oil-filled capacitors
are only supplied with ballasts where the capacitor operating voltage cannot be satisfied by Dry Film Capacitors.
When required, the capacitor discharge resistor is connected across the capacitor terminals.

Additional precautions must be taken when an oil filled capacitor is installed. Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL)
requires clearance of at least 3/8 inch above the terminals to allow for expansion of the capacitor in the event of
failure.

The maximum case temperature for oil-filled capacitors is 90°C.

What are Dry Metalized Film Capacitors?

Dry Metalized Film Capacitors are available to fill almost all needs for HID ballast applications. Advance's dry film
capacitors typically require only half the space used by oil-filled capacitors due to their not requiring additional
spacing for safety. Dry film capacitors have no exposed live voltage terminals, and thus do not require additional
clearance in the fixture. The compact, light weight, cylindrical non-conductive case and two insulated wires or
terminals reduce the required mounting space. Capacitor discharge resistors (when required) are installed within the
capacitor case. Dry film capacitors are UL recognized and contain no PCB material.

The maximum allowed dry film capacitor case temperature is 105°C.

What are Probable Causes of Shorted or Open Capacitors?

Normal capacitor end-of-life failure.
Overheated due to heat in the fixture or ambient temperature.
Capacitor mounted too close to ballast.
Incorrect voltage or capacitor value for ballast.
Mechanical damage such as over-tightened capacitor clamp.
What will cause reduced light output from my HID lighting?

As HID lamps age the light output decreases. First replace the lamps with those specified on the ballast label. If the
lamps have been replaced and the light output is still low, there are some tests to determine if the ballast is operating
properly. Measure the OCV and short circuit current of the ballast. The value of the OCV and short circuit current is
listed on the ballast label. Short circuit current is measured by shorting the output of the ballast at the lamp socket.
This will not damage the ballast as the ballast will current limit at the value shown on the label. If these two
measurements are as listed the ballast is operating normal. If short circuit current is low and the ballast shows no
signs of over temperature operation replace the capacitor. Ballasts that show signs of over temperature operation
should be changed.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Fantastic. Once we get streamlined, I'll add the 2 messages above to the original post.

Simon

bloyd

Veteran
wow simon, you are really coming up with some great posts here lately. First the the perfect cure, now this. I got a light meter on order and for the price I may just switch out the caps for the experience, my ballast is aging so it couldn't hurt. thanks for the great posts!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
wow simon, you are really coming up with some great posts here lately. First the the perfect cure, now this. I got a light meter on order and for the price I may just switch out the caps for the experience, my ballast is aging so it couldn't hurt. thanks for the great posts!

I appreciate the kind words. The benefits of sharing information are simply tremendous. You guys know as well as anyone that we have little access to relevant data. Essentially, we're all on our own working in secrecy, and we all benefit from this.

On a personal note, I've mostly stayed away from Canna forums since OG went down. Since I started posting on IC again, my garden has improved beyond logical measure. This forum is an invaluable resource and I'm happy to do anything I can to give something back. It's my only opportunity to meet my peers, and discuss commonly occurring issues. A big note of thanks to everyone who takes the time to help other growers in need.

Simon

junior_grower

We need to put together a good " how to for ballasts trouble shouting" something a person can glance at and know what the problem is.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
We need to put together a good " how to for ballasts trouble shouting" something a person can glance at and know what the problem is.

That's an excellent idea. As our resident expert, would you mind taking a shot at it?

There were some questions about installation. Monday, I need to get another cap, so I'll take some pics and do a quick install guide.

In terms of my own garden, I gathered every lamp in the house yesterday - 12 600HPS' - remeasured them, picked the best (relative to a week old GE lamp), and fired-up the big room. I was measuring +140,000 (!) Lux at the tips of the colas. Woof! Yes, it's a bit too much, but it sure feels good to have some firepower after all this.

Simon

junior_grower

Simon I will start on it but I have a patient, I am helping setup a new room right now. This is gonna be a long weekend of work to get him up and running. Once im all done with that I can start on it.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Simon I will start on it but I have a patient, I am helping setup a new room right now. This is gonna be a long weekend of work to get him up and running. Once im all done with that I can start on it.

Sounds like a plan. Best of luck with the new room!

It looks like I won't be able to get another cap before Tuesday; I'll try to post some installation within a day or two.

Simon

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Had this problem a few years ago when I relamped a couple 400w and 600w fixtures. one of the 600s was burning dimmer than the 400 it hung next to.

A trip to Granger Supply, 15 bucks and 15 minutes later I was amazed at the light I was losing.

I really need to get a cheapo light meter to stay on top of it and to make sure I'm getting the most life from my lamps.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Fantastic thread!

Fantastic thread!

Great info guys! :tiphat: Thanks fer sharin with us... BC

reckon

wow I am GUILTY as charged!

I am getting the caps (or the entire unit) replaced on the next grow (if I can swing it I'll do it now)

would you believe my ballast is more than 20 years old? :wave: