What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A tale of 5 ballasts

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

growshopfrank

Veteran
It looks like there are some inconsistencies in that. The below 1000w MH cap is rated at 480v. Strange, considering that they can use the same transformer and should be seeing the same peak voltage levels. Ever heard a reason for it?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ge-hid...case-of-20--gecap-24/480v-o.html#.UJwf6me9tBk

perhaps slightly higher operating voltage?
this is a good quick reference
http://www.hydroponics.net/productdocs/HID_Pocket_Guide.pdf

FWIW venture lighting our usual ballast suppler sends the same replacement cap for 1000w or 400w MH ballasts

camelshumpmtn.

sun systems magnetic ballast

sun systems magnetic ballast

So i am in the same boat as alot of the previous posts earlier, i wanted to save money bought a ballast sun systems 10 econo grow made in 2008. The original owner claimed"magnetic ballasts last a lifetime!" Obviously he has never read this thread lol, starting about 8 dyas ago i have to fire the ballast twice to get the light to fire. The ballast kicks on no prob but it wont fire the bulb. Does this mean its just the starter? or should i replace both just to be safe? Luckily the store where it was origonally purchased is still around.

growshopfrank

Veteran
So i am in the same boat as alot of the previous posts earlier, i wanted to save money bought a ballast sun systems 10 econo grow made in 2008. The original owner claimed"magnetic ballasts last a lifetime!" Obviously he has never read this thread lol, starting about 8 dyas ago i have to fire the ballast twice to get the light to fire. The ballast kicks on no prob but it wont fire the bulb. Does this mean its just the starter? or should i replace both just to be safe? Luckily the store where it was origonally purchased is still around.

sounds like the ignitor is starting to fail
also check the center contact in the mogul socket sometimes they fry a little

camelshumpmtn.

Even if said capacitor and ignighter are ok ill prob buy a replacemnet just so there around, im wondering if the timer my ballast is hooked into is the issue? I'll need to troubleshoot this but man what a wonderful thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts