What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a self pollinated F1, what might pop out?

igrowone

Veteran
11 weeks of flower, a forever grow, and tiny little buds to show for it
probably the bigger hazard of S1 grows, other recessive traits besides the intersex trait
such as a tropical sativa with no meat on its bones
the genetics of brainwreck(parent) supposedly have brazilian on the White Widow father's side
though that sativa was supposed to have good yields
the upper fans have gotten a purple hue, not bad looking
and a freak trait, one 7 leaf fan set has an 8th leaf growing out of the fan leaf center
8 leaf cannabis twice as lucky as a 4 leaf clover? not in this grow

Attachments

• flower77.jpg
    flower77.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 17

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
just more sative than the rest and will take longer to flower. hang in there.

looks really sativa, might wanna cut the nitrogen off.

igrowone

Veteran
just more sative than the rest and will take longer to flower. hang in there.

looks really sativa, might wanna cut the nitrogen off.

this plant has never been fed, other than the 2 tablespoons of MG bone meal(6-9-0) mixed into the 2 gallons of soil
sativa's really are a very different game, i never felt i had it dialed in, though it did stay mostly healthy looking
but thanks for the suggestion, i admit to being a sativa newbie

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work, I like it when people try and see if the things everyone believes are really true.
The real difference is inter-sex expression and do any of the S1 seeds not have inter-sex genes in them? Wether they express them or not all the plants from the S1 seeds do, I would bet.
If you take the seeds and grow plants then find 50% inter-sex how do you know the other 50% are not inter-sex but not expressing it without the right conditions they may require to express the inter-sex?
My growing history tells me that if you use inter-sex plants as parents the progeny is inter-sex, visible or not, in fact visible ones are easier to eliminate. I am not trying to say the smoke is useless, we have all smoked inter-sex plants we liked, I am saying that if you can find a non inter-sex plant with the traits you like it is better to use then an inter-sex one. Try cloning and testing the s1 plants with stress testing regime and see what happens to the non "inter-sex" plants from the S1 seeds, I bet most will show inter-sex...
One thing for sure, as you may know, many people think you just need to self a female to get the same exact type plant, as you can see selfing a hybrid Cannabis plants is more like making F2 seeds, they will express all the parents used to make the hybrid, just like the S1 seeds do.
All the best,
-SamS

Id go as far to say all cannabis carries the genetics show intersex characteristics under certain circumstances not just s1. Once I started stress testing cuts I was shocked. I test using light, drought, over watering, topping both natural (grazing on the plants om nom nom) and unnatural (scissors/scalpel), various forms of lst, temperature control, and root manipulation or damage at various stages of growth.

Instead of finding a "pure" boy or girl like I was expecting I find more like varying degrees of intersex from very easy to very very resistant.

I am starting to think everything can flip under certain circumstance. I don't think there is truly a pure male or female cannabis plant. I would love to get my hands on something truly "proven", I can flip every cut I can get in my circle so far and everything from all the breeders I have tried without chemicals.

Granted what I consider from my perspective a large number of samples is really the most minute fraction of genetic combinations out there.

I think most genetics out there actually fall into the resistant category as long as they are in the wide range of environments that most of us are able to reproduce within a fairly large range of circumstance.

Can anyone recommend a strain available that will not "hermie" or show intersex expression? I would really like to test with something considered steel bullet proof rock solid.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Id go as far to say all cannabis carries the genetics show intersex characteristics under certain circumstances not just s1. Once I started stress testing cuts I was shocked. I test using light, drought, over watering, topping both natural (grazing on the plants om nom nom) and unnatural (scissors/scalpel), various forms of lst, temperature control, and root manipulation or damage at various stages of growth.

Instead of finding a "pure" boy or girl like I was expecting I find more like varying degrees of intersex from very easy to very very resistant.

I am starting to think everything can flip under certain circumstance. I don't think there is truly a pure male or female cannabis plant. I would love to get my hands on something truly "proven", I can flip every cut I can get in my circle so far and everything from all the breeders I have tried without chemicals.

Granted what I consider from my perspective a large number of samples is really the most minute fraction of genetic combinations out there.

I think most genetics out there actually fall into the resistant category as long as they are in the wide range of environments that most of us are able to reproduce within a fairly large range of circumstance.

Can anyone recommend a strain available that will not "hermie" or show intersex expression? I would really like to test with something considered steel bullet proof rock solid.

In Original Haze I have found many I could not stress to show inter-sex. If you STS a female clone you can turn almost all inter-sex to some degree, although I have found some that are functionally sterile, they do not drop pollen from the transformed male flowers, but if you take a q-tip and get some of the pollen you can use it to make seeds. The pollen is sticky and does not want to leave the male flowers.
-SamS

igrowone

Veteran
^^^ interesting breeding info and great info to share
now as to my situation, god, it's been 12 weeks of flowering
it's at least looking like it's ripening, buds are swelling slowly
upper leaves have gone purple with pigment leaving leaf edges
i have seen that pattern in a few grow logs, can't recall what was growing though

Attachments

• flower84.jpg
    flower84.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 20

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
potassium def. prolly another reason you have little buds.

looks super sativa to me. just had a plant finally show sex. everything else is 3 weeks of actualy flowers. this one. has 1 pistil showing.

igrowone

Veteran
you may have a point with the potassium, i usually feed with molasses based teas
i count on molasses for my potassium boost
but this plant never called out for more nitrogen, so i held back on the teas
didn't want to overfeed a stretchy sativa with nitrogen
but did give it some wood ash dissolved in its last watering, sigh, better late than never

S

sourpuss

Keep an eye on the lower buds and bottom of the buds. Thats where the herm will appear if it does. Knock on wood.

I did the same thing. Ran the herm seeds, got some beatiful plants and smoke and a bunch of seeds from the herms again. Trashed the whole lot of seeds anf plants. Started over. Glad I did. Dont like to worry bout that when I have enough things to wotry about.

igrowone

Veteran
Keep an eye on the lower buds and bottom of the buds. Thats where the herm will appear if it does. Knock on wood.

I did the same thing. Ran the herm seeds, got some beatiful plants and smoke and a bunch of seeds from the herms again. Trashed the whole lot of seeds anf plants. Started over. Glad I did. Dont like to worry bout that when I have enough things to wotry about.

thanks for reminder, it's clean so far
which does make it something of a success for the S1's, maybe 2 hermies out of 6 plants or so, have to double check that
one of these S1's screwed me in a special way, it was a male! not a trace of a pistil

igrowone

Veteran
13 weeks and a touch of red face, that's me not the plant
really tortured the poor thing from lack of food
note to self - light feeding a sativa dom does not mean no feeding
on to the better parts, buds are actually forming now
some potassium, some nitrogen, good things in tea form
may yet give a fair yield, many buds forming, though still small

Attachments

• flower92.jpg
    flower92.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 21

igrowone

Veteran
14 weeks flower, that's a long time in my growing world
but them's the risks, these seeds are wildcards
feeding has helped a little in bud growth, maybe it wasn't all that underfed
just a very sativa type plant, with scrawny buds
the buds seem to grow more length wise than thick
i see posts that landrace sativas may do that in indoor grows

Attachments

• flower98.jpg
    flower98.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 19

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Thats not true. What you get, will depend on the F1's genetic traits. Genes are either Dominate hetero Aa, Dominate homo AA or Recessive aa. If the plants skunky smell was dom homo(AA) your plant will have 100% skunky smell. If the plants skunky smell was dom hetero(Aa) your plant will have 25% skunky smell, 50% kinda skunky and 25% something else. The dom hetero(Aa) is where you will have variance.

G`day MU420

And if i flip a coin infinite times I will get an even split .
Till I reach the infinite, the ratios could well be tipped towards one or the other .
Those percentages will need high numbers to express in the ratios you mapped out .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
so here's the side look
kind of wild looking, plenty of foliage
but bud is scarce, i do see talk of 20+ weeks sativa flower
my resolve could fail in that case

Attachments

• flower100.jpg
    flower100.jpg