What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a self pollinated F1, what might pop out?

igrowone

Veteran
time to admit it, another grow
had some good results from the hermie pollen
2 crosses grown with no hermie trait - ok
so i was ready for for another pollen donor
when you want it, it doesn't happen
straight fem, 6 weeks flower
that makes it 5/10 clean fems

Attachments

• flower6.jpg
    flower6.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 14

igrowone

Veteran
flower - 10 weeks

flower - 10 weeks

a pic at harvest, 10 weeks of 12/12
stayed purely female, fairly good yielder, smells of spicy onion
interesting is the intersex trait

Attachments

• flower10.jpg
    flower10.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 14

igrowone

Veteran
5 weeks of flower

5 weeks of flower

another roll of the genetic dice
and it's hermie - sigh - the 50/50 odds holding
but a wrinkle, a much lower output of roosters
first one like that, the others spewed long and heavy
this pollen freeze dried could be worth while
week 5+ of flower, not bad looking

Attachments

• flower5.jpg
    flower5.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 16

Slipnot

Well like you said time to move on take remainder of seeds and put them in a microwave and have some popcorn lol .. take a moment and sterilize your room then look for a good normal strain

igrowone

Veteran
Well like you said time to move on take remainder of seeds and put them in a microwave and have some popcorn lol .. take a moment and sterilize your room then look for a good normal strain

there is good and bad
if it wasn't for the non-anxious feel, they probably would go to the microwave
that 1 trait is very important for my needs, the hermie part less needed

After reading the thread, Ive got some seeds. With out much of a backstory,ive got 6 seeds from Jamaica, ('grape ape') should i run an open pollination with the population without pulling anything? 'Grape ape' purple, very airy (first thought indoor, strecthed buds) high was werid, not stoney, heady. Any thoughts open and welcome. With my other jamaican, three, out of ten ending up with both parts. I yanked the split sex plants (left with one male for kids). With the other linage, just curious if anyone thinks letting them sprout and ride, is worth the go? Let them breeed?

igrowone

Veteran
hmm, is your concern that the current set of plants may have hermie tendencies?
most growers will yank any she-males, not going to argue against it
simple answer is to yank hermies when seen
however let's say that a hermie has some other traits you want
then is it worth the trouble? it could be, but that's a minority opinion in the grow community

hmm, is your concern that the current set of plants may have hermie tendencies?
most growers will yank any she-males, not going to argue against it
simple answer is to yank hermies when seen
however let's say that a hermie has some other traits you want
then is it worth the trouble? it could be, but that's a minority opinion in the grow community

I agree, I'll folllow up when its appropriate.

igrowone

Veteran
flower - week 10

flower - week 10

week 10, ripe enough i think
1 goal of the grow was pollen, freeze dried now
good crosses from other S1 pollen
plant itself, fair yielder from 1/2 - 1 oz, close to average for these S1's
nice smell, but sampling will wait for a week to dry
for any interested i will edit in a mini smoke report on this post
pic from outside of grow chamber

EDIT: quality report
in short, a very good result
strong but still very usable for day use, some sativa going on in there
it was a pain in the ass, hermies usually are, but it delivered
so i will ponder the S2 seeds, getting dragged further into intersex land!

Attachments

• flower10.jpg
    flower10.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17

igrowone

Veteran
back to my old ways, i need a female and this seed is a temptation
result so far - 5/11 pure females, not awful for reg seeds with that ratio for female/male
so the new one, just entered flower, more sativa looking than the usual
the wait begins, 2 weeks is usually enough to know if intersex happens

Attachments

• flower1.jpg
    flower1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 14

igrowone

Veteran
and the verdict is: pure female - no male parts showing
2 weeks into flowering which has been the 'all clear' point in the past
which would edge my ratio back to 6/12 for clean femmes
this one has a tight central cola, 1st plant i've grown with that look
anyone with insights into tight cola genetics, feel free to post
i did some searching and found not much

Attachments

• flower2.jpg
    flower2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 15

igrowone

Veteran
6 weeks of 12/12, and no male parts, 6 of 12 in the sex battle
now this girl could have used more nitrogen, but the bud is filling in nicely anyways
next on my list is blood meal into my teas

Attachments

• flower6.jpg
    flower6.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 13

Tazz11

hello guys ,

this is IMHO from a isolated breeders point of view :
F1 normal cast off spring relate to the strain that created their parents . so you can get one or a dozen pheno at any time you make a cross . now what gives the best F1 .. stable and well conditioned parents .. cast a lower ratio of odd throw outs , and les herm .. not to say I would work a herm but in most cases it is non productive in isolating a good breeding base stock .

a lot of the best F1 I have seen come from the stable gender strains .. and most are IBL but in todays market you get half of what you pay for so take that with the quality of the seeds you start with ... first is it a true F1! or are you working with to small of a test group to isolate a true F1..? there is big difference between a wide variation strain and a true F1 pheno ... you have to keep good records and run set test groups to find the real quality F1's , with so many new strains out there you have a hard time looking to find a good starting point but genetics are a collection of traits and stabilized reactions to the given gender purities ..

you can create great F1 by controlling and conditioning both genders of any of the strains you select for ...fact !

I have taken it to F168 I find the stabilization of the genders and the conditioning of the strains growth rates and qualities and purities define if a given strain will drift or cast variation and this may be seen as wide scale genetic band width ,and setting test groups to isolate the F1 from strain variation is define by the size of the test groups the govern the size of the base stock mass ...
what that means is if you have 5000 plants of one strain vs 5 plants of 5 different strains ...it comes down to who made the seeds you are selecting from and where are you going to make your own starting point ?

what do you want from the F1 .. ?

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
hello guys ,

this is IMHO from a isolated breeders point of view :
F1 normal cast off spring relate to the strain that created their parents . so you can get one or a dozen pheno at any time you make a cross . now what gives the best F1 .. stable and well conditioned parents .. cast a lower ratio of odd throw outs , and les herm .. not to say I would work a herm but in most cases it is non productive in isolating a good breeding base stock .

a lot of the best F1 I have seen come from the stable gender strains .. and most are IBL but in todays market you get half of what you pay for so take that with the quality of the seeds you start with ... first is it a true F1! or are you working with to small of a test group to isolate a true F1..? there is big difference between a wide variation strain and a true F1 pheno ... you have to keep good records and run set test groups to find the real quality F1's , with so many new strains out there you have a hard time looking to find a good starting point but genetics are a collection of traits and stabilized reactions to the given gender purities ..

you can create great F1 by controlling and conditioning both genders of any of the strains you select for ...fact !

I have taken it to F168 I find the stabilization of the genders and the conditioning of the strains growth rates and qualities and purities define if a given strain will drift or cast variation and this may be seen as wide scale genetic band width ,and setting test groups to isolate the F1 from strain variation is define by the size of the test groups the govern the size of the base stock mass ...
what that means is if you have 5000 plants of one strain vs 5 plants of 5 different strains ...it comes down to who made the seeds you are selecting from and where are you going to make your own starting point ?

what do you want from the F1 .. ?

G `day Tazz

Your back !
And your imagination has not diminished a bit !

F 168 ? 3 crops a year that`s 56 years of breeding . You must be weary . So generous of you to take the time to enlighten the ignorant , Bravo !

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
5-8 a years and learn to count the rooms ...lol

and you are right , why should I waste time here ...latter

G `day Tazz

You`re are actually Dr Who : Time Lord

Try as they might scientists still cant bend time .
5-8 years and 3 gens a year F 15 -- F 24 . I don`t care how many rooms you have . It still takes 100 days from seed .

F 168 x 100 days per crop = 40 + years .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

igrowone

Veteran
indica i think

indica i think

old threads, new plant
i need a female bad, so my cheapo feminized seeds(i.e. hermie) get the call once again
never thought i'd run this many, but can say 'never thought' about many things in life
that said, here's an indica looking plant just going into flower
as usual, my optimism is boundless

Attachments

• flower0.jpg
    flower0.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 15